Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jakesmom2013
NEW TO SB

Hello all - I have been reading the posts and they are all so encouraging. Hoping to start Monday. Really hoping to loose 20 - 15 pounds. Wondering how much you all exercise with this program and what your results have been the first month. I am a mom - work FT - and go to school, so I am limited to the amount of time I have to exercise. I try and walk at least 4 times a week along with some sit-ups etc.
jakesmom2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Hi!! What's your name? I'm Irene! we hope you jump right in!

I walk, if I have time which hasn't been more than 5 days so far, around lunch time at the moment so you are already doing GREAT!

This is my 3rd time around on the beach, I restarted after I had my daughter and then around the holidays, I just derailed..
Induction you may lose more than the 1-2lbs a week that you hopefully will lose while on phase 2.. So many of us have a lot of different factors that go into weight loss.. age, preexisting conditions, medications, etc so we all lose differently. Be sure to check your measurements as sometimes your body changes before the scale and if you ramp up exercise, you replace fat with muscle.

I've lost 6lbs so far and nearly the end of the first month.. though that's tough for a typical first month b/c for a week I had the flu.

Be sure to keep a copy of your book (you read it, right? )and check out the links here, I find them helpful if I am out and don't remember something in the book. I can login from my phone and take a look at the lists
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
Hi and welcome - I'm Lola. I've been on SB for 2 months and lost half of my 20 lbs that I want to lose. That'll put me at 137 where I'd like to be. We take a walk in the evenings when we can since we've had rain most days but can't say we're following an exercise program as of yet.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005

Your weight loss comes from the food you eat, (or don't eat). Exercise benefits you in many other ways, but is not the major factor in losing weight. Walking is the best all round exercise for most of us , so you are right on track there. Some 3-5 lb hand weights can complete your program and takes just a few minutes. The SB Supercharged book has a great exercise program to go along with the food plan.

to the beach.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Hi - I'm Penny
It's a great forum, you'll enjoy posting here. If you have questions, there are lots of us who can probably answer from experience. Jump right in!!
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks to all for your input. I had my last slice of my husbands homemade pizza tonight, and tried out the breakfast quiche recipie....YUM!

I'm going to work hard on getting organized and my meals planned out for the week. Dinner with the family should be fairly easy to work around my new plan. Where you all very hungry at first? What did you do to work through that?

Amy
Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmom2013 View Post
Thanks to all for your input. I had my last slice of my husbands homemade pizza tonight, and tried out the breakfast quiche recipie....YUM!

I'm going to work hard on getting organized and my meals planned out for the week. Dinner with the family should be fairly easy to work around my new plan. Where you all very hungry at first? What did you do to work through that?

Amy
I just drank lots of water. Then I would say to myself, "yep, that's a craving coming on strong. It'll pass, just ride it out." Usually if you can get your mind on something else, it will get better in a few minutes. Or try to get up and walk around some. Anything to divert you for a few minutes. That's usually all it will take.
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Amy
Jakesmom- you and I both have basically the same amount to lose (15-20 lbs). I was not really a big eater previously, I just mostly ate the wrong kinds of foods. On the first week of SB I limited myself to the lowest calorie food allowed. I ate the right kinds of foods but basically counted calories. If I ate a celery stick I felt that I was eating a lot of veggies, even though we are supposed to have about 5 servings per day. So naturally I was very hungry the first week on this diet. One day I felt I was starving (this was before I started eating lots of veggies) and was about to give up when I decided to eat a small sirloin steak and a half cup of butter beans. That meal helped me over the worst day!! Each day after that I started eating vegetables and lots of salad and it got easier and easier once I started eating the right amounts. I guess the thing I am trying to say is if you eat what's on the list of good foods you won't be as hungry, and the cravings will become less and less. Don't limit yourself so that your body is feeling deprived. There's lots of good foods that are allowed! Once the bad carbs are out of your system you won't be experiencing the cravings. Oh, another thing I sometimes do, although very rarely, is eat a tsp of natural peanut butter at night when a craving for a snack hits me. That usually stops it in its track. Hope this helps!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Amy
I didn't have to worry about being hungry bc I ate if I was. I made sure to have OP snacks at hand and plenty of water.

How's your week going?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daniel75
WOE: South beach
Hi from England

Hi , I'm Daniel, 37 and want to keep off about 15 pounds of body-fat . I love cooking and trained and worked as a Chef in the past, so still enjoy recipes and cooking but am on limited funds; as going back to College next month-hoping to become a Social worker, which is a well paid and respected job here.

I am not sure if this is a new thread I've started or a reply , so forgive me if I have it wrong ! It's gone midnight here but wanted to post.

I am new to starting a low/lower carb lifestyle and am waiting on a couple of South beach books coming from Ebay.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
Hi , I'm Daniel, 37 and want to keep off about 15 pounds of body-fat . I love cooking and trained and worked as a Chef in the past, so still enjoy recipes and cooking but am on limited funds; as going back to College next month-hoping to become a Social worker, which is a well paid and respected job here.

I am not sure if this is a new thread I've started or a reply , so forgive me if I have it wrong ! It's gone midnight here but wanted to post.

I am new to starting a low/lower carb lifestyle and am waiting on a couple of South beach books coming from Ebay.
Hi Daniel- This isn't a new thread but you're welcome to come and post anytime you want. There are also many low carb recipes on the forums that might be of help to you. Also there is Kaylns Corner which is another site that posts low carb recipes, if you're interested. Good luck on your new profession!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Hi Daniel- This isn't a new thread but you're welcome to come and post anytime you want. There are also many low carb recipes on the forums that might be of help to you. Also there is Kaylns Corner which is another site that posts low carb recipes, if you're interested. Good luck on your new profession!
Kalyns Kitchen (dot) come

Welcome!! Please come to the long thread, a lot of us post daily there.

Wonderful to meet you! This WOE can be very economical so I think you made a great choice
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Kalyns Kitchen (dot) come

Welcome!! Please come to the long thread, a lot of us post daily there.

Wonderful to meet you! This WOE can be very economical so I think you made a great choice
I just use search engine and never have to .com anything and it takes me right there. Maybe using iPhone or iPad is different than PC. My Mac stays on the shelf.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Jakesmom- you and I both have basically the same amount to lose (15-20 lbs). I was not really a big eater previously, I just mostly ate the wrong kinds of foods. On the first week of SB I limited myself to the lowest calorie food allowed. I ate the right kinds of foods but basically counted calories. If I ate a celery stick I felt that I was eating a lot of veggies, even though we are supposed to have about 5 servings per day. So naturally I was very hungry the first week on this diet. One day I felt I was starving (this was before I started eating lots of veggies) and was about to give up when I decided to eat a small sirloin steak and a half cup of butter beans. That meal helped me over the worst day!! Each day after that I started eating vegetables and lots of salad and it got easier and easier once I started eating the right amounts. I guess the thing I am trying to say is if you eat what's on the list of good foods you won't be as hungry, and the cravings will become less and less. Don't limit yourself so that your body is feeling deprived. There's lots of good foods that are allowed! Once the bad carbs are out of your system you won't be experiencing the cravings. Oh, another thing I sometimes do, although very rarely, is eat a tsp of natural peanut butter at night when a craving for a snack hits me. That usually stops it in its track. Hope this helps!
I was sooooo Hungry last night and this morning. I hit the grocery store to pick up allowed foods. My legs are aching and I feel tired. I think I need more protein...........I had fish and veggies tonight, and made turkey chillie for tomorrow.....Hoping it gets easier.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I didn't have to worry about being hungry bc I ate if I was. I made sure to have OP snacks at hand and plenty of water.

How's your week going?
Day 2 under my belt. Last night and this morning was awful. I was just starving - my stomach felt like it was eating itself from the inside out. I went shopping got more food that I could eat, and am feeling more optimistic about it. Day 3 tomorrow....I have the quiche cups and 2 pieces of turkey bacon for breakfast - morning snack prob string cheese - lunch is turkey chillie - afternoon snack is ham lettuce and mustard wrap and some veggies. Not sure about dinner...............How am I doing?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
I was sooooo Hungry last night and this morning. I hit the grocery store to pick up allowed foods. My legs are aching and I feel tired. I think I need more protein...........I had fish and veggies tonight, and made turkey chillie for tomorrow.....Hoping it gets easier.
If you post your menus, we might be able to help.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Amy
Quote:
Day 2 under my belt. Last night and this morning was awful. I was just starving - my stomach felt like it was eating itself from the inside out. I went shopping got more food that I could eat, and am feeling more optimistic about it. Day 3 tomorrow....I have the quiche cups and 2 pieces of turkey bacon for breakfast - morning snack prob string cheese - lunch is turkey chillie - afternoon snack is ham lettuce and mustard wrap and some veggies. Not sure about dinner...............How am I doing?
Jakesmom- I know exactly how you feel as I felt the same way my first week...but it WILL GET BETTER! I didn't eat much thinking I'd lose quicker if I ate less calories but I was hurting myself. The trick is not letting yourself get weak and hungry. Take advantage of all the good foods your body is allowed to have. Lets say if you cook extra turkey bacon for breakfast, or turkey sausage, whatever, you can always heat some up for your snack so you are getting lots of protein. Add some veggies, raw or cooked, which will add bulk and you will feel full longer. Or boil some eggs and they will be in the fridge ready fir you when your hunger strikes. Once all the cravings are out of your system you won't feel as hungry between meals like you are right now. But two snacks a day are a must, especially right now, so that you won't sabotage your diet. And I checked my book for you. Cottage cheese is not part of your 2 servings of dairy. It is listed in the cheese section. I didn't know because I don't eat cottage cheese, but my husband would have known because he loves it.. You'll do fine, especially since you've already stocked up. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Try to get about 5 servings of veggies in, too. Your tummy will thank you!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

1/2 C veg in the morning OR veg/tomato juice.. 2 C of veg at lunch and dinner.. remember 1/2 a C of beans is allowed! Look at the list to get the right kinds of beans but they are such a great filler.