Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
South Beach vs Atkins

What inspired you to choose SB over ATKINS?
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Atkins was too restrictive. I am not a big meat eater. I like veggies and some carbs, especially bread.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
I missed some foods that you get without the ladder like beans. Also, less counting!
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Wow, not a lot of responses. I was definitely looking for more.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, not a lot of responses. I was definitely looking for more.
Sorry you didn't get a lot of responses. Maybe if you explain which plan you're on and why, you might get more feedback. Just an idea..
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
It's tough, not many of us and there are a lot of new people.

I read through the many pages in this forum when I searched 'Atkins' and some people pointed out things such as how it's cheaper, good sources of fats like avocado, olive oil, nuts.. some people don't tolerate ketosis very well and others found it to be a great balance. Reading the stickies at the top really makes it easy to figure out how this plan works.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
We've never tried Atkins. Dr said it wasn't the right plan for Hubby since he has a heart condition. Quad by-pass 4 years ago. Thank the Good Lord, he is doing fine, now. Since I've been cooking South Beach, he has also lost a little weight. (Not even trying, he looses weight!!) Go figure...
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
We've never tried Atkins. Dr said it wasn't the right plan for Hubby since he has a heart condition. Quad by-pass 4 years ago. Thank the Good Lord, he is doing fine, now. Since I've been cooking South Beach, he has also lost a little weight. (Not even trying, he looses weight!!) Go figure...
Gail- did your DH's doctor recommend South Beach to him? It seems to be a much healthier way of eating since you get a large variety of foods and is lower fat.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Yes, don't know why that is that men lose more and quicker than women. If I can manage to Lose 7 lbs, my husband will lose 17. :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

He's not really over-weight. He's 6" 1 ' and about 207. The cardiologist wants him to loose down to about 185. He doesn't feel good when he's at that weight. His face is all drawn, and he looks sick, too. He walks 3 miles 4 to 5 mornings a week. Dr. told him to do it every day. His blood-work is almost always good, he watches what he eats. Dr told him to give up red meat completely, and eat half of his meals vegetarian. I guess she's a good doctor, but there are only so many concessions he will make. I couldn't believe when he agreed to eat salmon!! MAJOR victory!!

Penny
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Sorry you didn't get a lot of responses. Maybe if you explain which plan you're on and why, you might get more feedback. Just an idea..
I am doing a Atkinish w.o.e. I assumed that sb'ers had probably check out Atkins at one time, and was wondering what helped you with the decision. Whenever I look at the SB w.o.e, it reminds me of a lower carb ww plan (simply filling).
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
He's not really over-weight. He's 6" 1 ' and about 207. The cardiologist wants him to loose down to about 185. He doesn't feel good when he's at that weight. His face is all drawn, and he looks sick, too. He walks 3 miles 4 to 5 mornings a week. Dr. told him to do it every day. His blood-work is almost always good, he watches what he eats. Dr told him to give up red meat completely, and eat half of his meals vegetarian. I guess she's a good doctor, but there are only so many concessions he will make. I couldn't believe when he agreed to eat salmon!! MAJOR victory!!
Quote:
I am doing a Atkinish w.o.e. I assumed that sb'ers had probably check out Atkins at one time, and was wondering what helped you with the decision. Whenever I look at the SB w.o.e, it reminds me of a lower carb ww plan (simply filling).
Not simply filling...simply satisfying! Weight Watchers has had so many variations of plans in the past 35-40 yrs. I tried them several times and it never worked for me. The most I've ever had to lose was around 30 lbs after I had my children. WW allows too much freedom. Especially the points system which I found the worse for me. If I wanted to have a banana split, or cookies for instance,for breakfast, not that I ever did, it was allowed as long as I counted points. I was allowed 20 pts a day, i think. I also had to carry my slide rule to calculate fat, fiber, calories, books with points values listed. But I was constantly hungry because there was no structure and i was like a kid making poor choices. Now, in the 70's when WW gave the charts at the meetings.. to follow each day by checking off the number of oz of protein, bread servings, milk, etc,..I did much better. I needed the structure to help me make proper choices. When I tried Atkins years ago it allowed as much food as needed but all of it protein! Meat is the last food item I'd pick to eat and on Atkins it was basically all I could eat. I got sick of that diet after one day one but DH and I stuck it out for a couple weeks. He was ok with meats or eggs at each meal. I wanted bread, jambalaya, beans and rice, etc. so off we went. Then I tried Sugar Busters. It was the best w.o.e. in terms of food choices for us but South Beach completely eliminates rice, bread, etc for first 2 weeks. That gave me a chance to rid my body of the cravings for starches but allowed me to eat a large variety of healthy foods that my body needed. I've only lost 7 lbs in the month I am on it but I feel better than I did on all the other plans and I'm free to make my own proper choices as long as its healthy carbs..not necessarily low carb. Now sure if this was what you were wanting but these are my reasons for choosing SB woe. It really seems like Sugar Busters to me except that with Sugar Busters you can start off eating breads, pasta etc as long as its whole wheat, but South Beach doesn't. Hope this helps! :-)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Gmomof7, this did help. I am just trying to find the right way for me. I did ww in the past successfully, but no longer buy into the low fat mantra. I was obsessed about food all the time. I think that lower carbs and some fat is healthier. I have read and read, and have been doing hclf, however, I just find that it can be hard when the rest of the family eats differently.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

It can be extremely difficult when the rest of the family is not on the same page as you. Hubby is not at all thrilled with most South Beach recipes, but will compromise a little on some things. If a family member is not totally on board with your way of eating, it can make a big difference in your success. I've seen in myself the damage this can cause. Just something to think about.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you Gmomof7, this did help. I am just trying to find the right way for me. I did ww in the past successfully, but no longer buy into the low fat mantra. I was obsessed about food all the time. I think that lower carbs and some fat is healthier. I have read and read, and have been doing hclf, however, I just find that it can be hard when the rest of the family eats differently.
Rotay- I hope you find what you're looking for. Like you, I didn't want to always be...thinking of food...measuring food...counting calories of food..figuring fat grams to fiber, etc. This woe, once you learn what works for you, is so easy! Btw, my daughter lives in Ga.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all. My hubby is not really the problem. We now live with my mom and she does most of the cooking (it is her thing), I just can't get her to do anything other than "southern fried this and that", dried beans, potatoes or rice, and got have cornbread, rolls or Texas toast. I eat what I can then substitute, it just gets old having to watch them all eat the this way, or having to fix something different. The mom can't get her head around low fat or low carb , and let me tell you, she does have the wheat belly.

What part of GA? I am about 30 miles south of airport.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks all. My hubby is not really the problem. We now live with my mom and she does most of the cooking (it is her thing), I just can't get her to do anything other than "southern fried this and that", dried beans, potatoes or rice, and got have cornbread, rolls or Texas toast. I eat what I can then substitute, it just gets old having to watch them all eat the this way, or having to fix something different. The mom can't get her head around low fat or low carb , and let me tell you, she does have the wheat belly.

What part of GA? I am about 30 miles south of airport.
Rotay- I understand. It's the good ol' southern food that makes us need a diet plan! I do all the cooking for hubby and myself so its much easier not to cook those dishes than to be around them and be tempted. We love dried beans and they're allowed on SB. Just don't add rice during phase 1 if you choose SB. My daughter lives close to the Lookout Mts, near Chattanooga.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Gail- did your DH's doctor recommend South Beach to him? It seems to be a much healthier way of eating since you get a large variety of foods and is lower fat.
I'm glad you're happy with South Beach, but I just want to point out that there is nothing unhealthy about Atkins or a high fat low carbohydrate plan. There is still a lot of misinformation around, even here, about the health of a well formulated ketogenic plan. It is not unhealthy. Many people with heart disease have turned to it with success.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I agree with ntombi that lchf is healthy, I am just looking for something that might be easier to work with in my circumstances. I am leaving for vacation on Friday, so I went to the library to get the south beach book to take to review. I will still be on line, and I am still just trying to do a low carb, high fat, mod protein for now. Overall, I think Atkins is pretty easy to do if you didn't have all these non-atkin folks in the house. Anyway, we'll see. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
She didn't favor South Beach. She said it had too much cheese. She wanted him to eat vegetarian. Yeah, Right!! Like that was going to happen!!! He just watches what he eats, limits his portions and tries to eat healthy. He will try some of my SB meals, but not whole-heartedly. But, like I said on another post, he is not over-weight. I think he does very will with managing his cardiac issues. It is good for a physician to be thorough, but realistically, he's just not going to eat vegetarian.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
She didn't favor South Beach. She said it had too much cheese. She wanted him to eat vegetarian. Yeah, Right!! Like that was going to happen!!! He just watches what he eats, limits his portions and tries to eat healthy. He will try some of my SB meals, but not whole-heartedly. But, like I said on another post, he is not over-weight. I think he does very will with managing his cardiac issues. It is good for a physician to be thorough, but realistically, he's just not going to eat vegetarian.
I'm pretty sure Berta said her doctor recommended she go on SB so I was wondering if your husband's doctor did too. My doctor feels a low calorie diet with lots of veggies are the way to go. My cardiologist definitely doesn't recommend unlimited meat and fat and he believes in measuring portions. That's one reason I like South Beach. No measuring!