Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
What's for dinner?

A new month is upon us, and I don't know about y'all, but I often have trouble deciding what to fix for dinner..or lunch each day. So I figured whoever wanted to participate could put what meal they prepared or will be preparing and it might help someone else who needs new menu ideas. South Beach friendly, of course! I can start...

For dinner tonight I panfried well seasoned Tilapia in 1 tb evoo with crushed garlic, paprika, Paul Prudhomme's herb mix (no sugar, salt or msg) salt and pepper with a tiny sprinkle of red pepper flakes. For our side we had fresh green beans and sliced cucumbers with oil and vinegar dressing, salt and pepper, and a little feta sprinkled on top for our salad.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Yum, like the salad idea. I have a lot of cucumber to use and no hummus!

I meal plan as much as possible in an app for my android. Tomorrow's lunch is usually leftovers, will have leftover chicken fajitas (I add zucchini to peppers and onions)

Tomorrow will be chicken stir fry with a bag of broccoli slaw and small package of fresh green beans. 1 TBL of the following :sesame oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, 1/4 C soy sauce and a 1lb of chicken. I may or may not rice cauliflower. A lot of work and leftovers are just eh unless you can reheat it in a pan.

Oh and my fave fish is parmesan tilapia by Rachel Ray. Parmesan and paprika, gotta have the pan just right to make a golden crust. Works great with spaghetti squash with parmesan cheese thinned with chicken or veg stock and a squeeze of lemon.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Meal ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Yum, like the salad idea. I have a lot of cucumber to use and no hummus!

I meal plan as much as possible in an app for my android. Tomorrow's lunch is usually leftovers, will have leftover chicken fajitas (I add zucchini to peppers and onions)

Tomorrow will be chicken stir fry with a bag of broccoli slaw and small package of fresh green beans. 1 TBL of the following :sesame oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, 1/4 C soy sauce and a 1lb of chicken. I may or may not rice cauliflower. A lot of work and leftovers are just eh unless you can reheat it in a pan.

Oh and my fave fish is parmesan tilapia by Rachel Ray. Parmesan and paprika, gotta have the pan just right to make a golden crust. Works great with spaghetti squash with parmesan cheese thinned with chicken or veg stock and a squeeze of lemon.

Just bought a cast iron coated skillet today so I'll have to look up the Parmesan cheese tilapia recipe! I see it in restaurants all the time but they say bread crumbs are mixed in with the cheese. I assume Rachel's recipe is SB friendly, huh. Question..what is ricing cauliflower? I saw a recipe using it for pizza crust that hubby would just love for me to make for him. And fajita is his favorite meal! Except it'd have to be without tortilla shells.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Just bought a cast iron coated skillet today so I'll have to look up the Parmesan cheese tilapia recipe! I see it in restaurants all the time but they say bread crumbs are mixed in with the cheese. I assume Rachel's recipe is SB friendly, huh. Question..what is ricing cauliflower? I saw a recipe using it for pizza crust that hubby would just love for me to make for him. And fajita is his favorite meal! Except it'd have to be without tortilla shells.
Here is the recipe for the tilapia:
ingredients
3/4cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 tilapia fillets (about 1 pound total)
1 lemon, cut into wedges
directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a shallow dish, combine the cheese with the paprika and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the fish with olive oil and dredge in the cheese mixture. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until the fish is opaque in the thickest part, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the fish with the lemon wedges.

Now I will prepare it in a pan with oil since the crust comes out more golden.. it has to be perfectly hot or it will stick! Even if it does stick, it is delicious.

There are a few methods for ricing... taking raw cauliflower and a food processor makes it fast work, then microwave til cooked. If you don't have a food processor, a box grater does work, just takes longer. I start with 5 min in the microwave and it varies between 5-8 min depending up on the size of the cauliflower.

I found a cauliflower tortilla recipe and I have found zucchini in place of cauliflower for these pizza crusts..

Last edited by glitterific; 07-31-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I actually took a picture of it.. I think this is cod..
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

That looks delicious! And you can't go wrong with good parm! I need to fix that! I hardly ever ate fish before this diet. Now I eat it about 5 times a week. Looking for new ways to prepare it.

To rice in food processor do I use shredding blade or chopping?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That looks delicious! And you can't go wrong with good parm! I need to fix that! I hardly ever ate fish before this diet. Now I eat it about 5 times a week. Looking for new ways to prepare it.

To rice in food processor do I use shredding blade or chopping?
cut it into chunks and use the chopping blade.. shredding is an extra unnecessary step
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

It's been a busy day so far for me. Had to take my Yorkie to be groomed around 7:30 but found the time to make the Bean cake recipe from a post a few years back. I didn't tell hubby what the main ingredient was, but each time he came in the kitchen he kept saying how good it smelled. Once he tasted it, and I told him I used Butter beans he didn't believe me. Now would I lie to him? NO, I wouldn't! I added cinnamon to the batter and sprinkled xylitol and a little extra cinnamon and nutmeg to the top before baking. I made 12 minis so I figured two mini muffins a day wouldn't hurt. It actually tasted like it was made from flour.

Right now I have eggplant slices in my slow cooker. I made a sauce in a mixing bowl using 1/2 small can of tomato paste, Italian spices, garlic, onion powder, etc. mixed up well and poured a little between layers. Then I sprinkled a small amount of FF mozzarella on each layer and once it's cooked I will put some RF mozzarella on top and let that melt. My version of eggplant parmigiana. A low carb veggie on the side and that will be dinner.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
On Phase 2 you can have brown rice. I found that you brown the rice in a pan with a little EVOO first, then add boiled water to it. It will make it taste nutty and not stick together. You could also use boiling water that has a bullion cube and some cumin in it. wonderful side dish....just sharing..
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericrop View Post
On Phase 2 you can have brown rice. I found that you brown the rice in a pan with a little EVOO first, then add boiled water to it. It will make it taste nutty and not stick together. You could also use boiling water that has a bullion cube and some cumin in it. wonderful side dish....just sharing..
Thanks Jeri- I live in the Deep South and gumbo, jambalaya, red beans, etc are staples and rice is served with each one. White rice is my favorite but know that I'll have to get used to brown rice eventually. We were hoping to stay on phase 1 another week because we still crave rice and bread. Then next week I'll try it cooked your way. Thanks!

I have the zucchini crust browning right now for the pizza. Can't wait to put toppings on it. :-) took longer than I thought so lunch is a little late today.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Glitterific-we just finished the zucchini pizza. i asked my husband not to prejudge it based on pizzas he's had before and he said he wouldn't. He actually loved it! So did I! Neither one of us like red sauce on pizza so I cut up 2 servings of sliced ham, 2 servings of black olives, a little feta cheese, and topped it with about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Heated till melted. I should have used more mozzarella but that didn't affect the flavor. It was more work than I anticipated but was worth it. it was really delish!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Has anyone ever made mixed beans? This is something passed down from my grandmother. She always used fresh, but I find that the frozen works just fine for me. I believe this would be perfectly on plan.

1 bag of frozen cut green beans
1 bag of frozen lima beans
1 bag of speckled butter beans
1 carton fat free low sodium chicken broth.

Put everything in a large pot. Cook till done.

I always use the green beans, but have changed up with other kinds of frozen beans. I've used frozen black-eyed peas, baby limas, field peas, just about any kind of fresh frozen bean will do. You can add chunks of ham if you want. A chopped onion would be good. Whatever your family would like.

Penny
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Has anyone ever made mixed beans? This is something passed down from my grandmother. She always used fresh, but I find that the frozen works just fine for me. I believe this would be perfectly on plan.

I always use the green beans, but have changed up with other kinds of frozen beans. I've used frozen black-eyed peas, baby limas, field peas, just about any kind of fresh frozen bean will do. You can add chunks of ham if you want. A chopped onion would be good. Whatever your family would like.
Gail-I haven't eaten all three beans together but have eaten green beans with black-eye peas. I add chopped onions and a little ham in mine too, and we love it. Today I fixed the bean cake using butter beans and we enjoyed it so I guess no more butter beans allowed for today. I do have green beans washed and ready for cooking for supper tonight. Yum! I haven't eaten so healthy in a long time.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

For dinner tonight I had a salad made of chopped romaine, tomato, cucumber, green pepper, 2 slices of deli ham and a shake of lf cheese. Balsamic vinegarette dressing. Also made soup: cut up all my steamed veggies from 2 days ago, mixed with a can of stewed tomatoes, some left-over spaghetti sauce, a box of beef broth and anything else in the fridge that needed to be used. Delish!!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Glitterific-we just finished the zucchini pizza. i asked my husband not to prejudge it based on pizzas he's had before and he said he wouldn't. He actually loved it! So did I! Neither one of us like red sauce on pizza so I cut up 2 servings of sliced ham, 2 servings of black olives, a little feta cheese, and topped it with about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Heated till melted. I should have used more mozzarella but that didn't affect the flavor. It was more work than I anticipated but was worth it. it was really delish! Thanks for sending that link!
Yay! Glad you enjoyed!

Quote:

No but that sounds good and easy.

Quote:
Gail-I haven't eaten all three beans together but have eaten green beans with black-eye peas. I add chopped onions and a little ham in mine too, and we love it. Today I fixed the bean cake using butter beans and we enjoyed it so I guess no more butter beans allowed for today. I do have green beans washed and ready for cooking for supper tonight. Yum! I haven't eaten so healthy in a long time.
Mmmm bean cake. Maybe I need to whip some up. My DHs birthday is tomorrow and we had some leftover frozen pound cake, just enough for him but I would like treat.

Quote:
For dinner tonight I had a salad made of chopped romaine, tomato, cucumber, green pepper, 2 slices of deli ham and a shake of lf cheese. Balsamic vinegarette dressing. Also made soup: cut up all my steamed veggies from 2 days ago, mixed with a can of stewed tomatoes, some left-over spaghetti sauce, a box of beef broth and anything else in the fridge that needed to be used. Delish!!
Wow, i love tomato based soups. Never thought to use sauce.

Chicken stir fry tonight. Needed to season the oil a bit more to intensify the flavor. Completely forgot I picked up sugar snap peas. They will be snack now!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That sounds good! I love soup and salad! Is the balsamic vinegarette one you make or is it bottled? My husband has an allergic reaction to bottled dressing but he can handle balsamic vinegar very well.

Tonight we had eggplant cooked in the crockpot, with a little sauce and mozzarella cheese, romaine salad, and fresh green beans. It tasted good but ever since dinner my husband and I have been hungry and craving snacks..something we hadn't been feeling for past few weeks. Not sure what the culprit was that set off our cravings.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That sounds good! I love soup and salad! Is the balsamic vinegarette one you make or is it bottled? My husband has an allergic reaction to bottled dressing but he can handle balsamic vinegar very well.

Tonight we had eggplant cooked in the crockpot, with a little sauce and mozzarella cheese, romaine salad, and fresh green beans. It tasted good but ever since dinner my husband and I have been hungry and craving snacks..something we hadn't been feeling for past few weeks. Not sure what the culprit was that set off our cravings.

This time I used bottled, but I'm going to make my own next time. The bottled stuff had 4 sugars in it, little too high for SB. Slowly using up all the bottled dressing in the cupboard first. Just can't justify throwing out anything usable. I have made oil and vinegar with just a splash of the higher sugar stuff for flavoring. Can't imagine that would be too terribly off plan.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This time I used bottled, but I'm going to make my own next time. The bottled stuff had 4 sugars in it, little too high for SB. Slowly using up all the bottled dressing in the cupboard first. Just can't justify throwing out anything usable. I have made oil and vinegar with just a splash of the higher sugar stuff for flavoring. Can't imagine that would be too terribly off plan.
I bear ya about not wanting to throw it out! I feel the same way! We put all off limit foods in a closet in the spare room. When our kids come over it will come in handy and yet is out of our sight for now.

For lunch we had roast beef sandwiches made from low carb rolls recipe I found on this site. For dinner tonight it'll most likely be grilled pork chops with side salad and green beans.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Well trimmed strip steak, roasted brussel sprouts, cauliflower puree. Husband's birthday. I have fudgesicles and peanut cookies while he has cupcakes.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Well trimmed strip steak, roasted brussel sprouts, cauliflower puree. Husband's birthday. I have fudgesicles and peanut cookies while he has cupcakes.
Tell hubby Happy Birthday from your low carb friend! tonight was a pork chop and a large salad with a large glass of water. But your dinner sounds much better! I'm having a fudgesicle tonight. Love those things. Wish we could have two instead of one.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 16th, 2014
Hi Girls
I just joined this thread.I hope you don't mind.I felt it would help me with some food ideas.

Tonight we had shrimp simmered in Smart Balance with garlic then sprinkled with Italian seasoning,brocolli, fresh sliced tomatoes and baked sweet potato.Then SF pistachio pudding for desert.

I have been hungry for beans but only 1/2cup? That isn't enough to even wet my whistle
I thought a good old bowl of butter beans with WW biscuit would be soo YUMMY

Last edited by Berta48; 08-01-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Hi Girls
I just joined this thread.I hope you don't mind.I felt it would help me with some food ideas.

Tonight we had shrimp simmered in Smart Balance with garlic then sprinkled with Italian seasoning,brocolli, fresh sliced tomatoes and baked sweet potato.Then SF pistachio pudding for desert.

I have been hungry for beans but only 1/2cup? That isn't enough to even wet my whistle
Berta- glad to have you join us! I live in an area surrounded by water and we love shrimp! Yours reminds me of shrimp scampi. Too bad we can't have a lot of bread to sop up the garlic butter/margarine sauce. Yummy! I love butter beans, too. On days when I just can't seem to fill up I eat 1/2 cup canned butter beans along with whatever else we're having and it does the trick. I also made the bean cake / mini muffins using washed and drained butter beans. So good!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Berta48

Quote:
Berta- glad to have you join us! I live in an area surrounded by water and we love shrimp! Yours reminds me of shrimp scampi. Too bad we can't have a lot of bread to sop up the garlic butter/margarine sauce. Yummy! I love butter beans, too. On days when I just can't seem to fill up I eat 1/2 cup canned butter beans along with whatever else we're having and it does the trick. I also made the bean cake / mini muffins using washed and drained butter beans. So good!
Thanks for the warm welcome
I have also made bean burgers.Have you ever tried them? We like them alot I just don't take the time to make them.But I do plan on it again one of these days, now that I am beginning to eat healthy again.

My plans for supper tonight are baked on the bone pork loin chops and brown rice with onion & peppers chopped in the the rice, (I buy the already chopped frozen kind)with chicken broth as the liquid to cook the rice in.Then sliced tomatoes off our vines(we have them almost every meal)and mixed veggies cauliflower,brocolli and carrots. with a bit of seasoning and Smart Balance margarine.Dessert I am making SF Jello.

What is in your plan?

For Bean Burgers you can use any kind of beans then smash them into mush.Then add onion, salt ,pepper, garlic,eggs( or egg substitute), rf shredded cheese,form into patties and cook in a skillet with olive oil.Actually you can add any kind of seasoning that suits your fancy!

With the help from the Lord....
No food will satisfy my heart or fill the emptiness in my soul. Jesus Christ is "the real meat" and the "bread of life," and I am to feed on him.
Roberta

Started Low Carb April10th 2014

Last edited by Berta48; 08-02-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hi Berta -
Bean burgers?? Sounds good to me. Hubby would ABSOLUTELY freak out if I put that in front of him. But I'd eat it in a second!!

We're having teriyaki chicken tonight. Marinated chicken breast in soy sauce, grated ginger and garlic and spices. It's called dump chicken. Dump everything in a bag and freeze until you feel like having chicken for dinner. Then let it thaw overnight and cook in the oven. I posted the recipe on the p1 recipe thread. This is the first time we'll be having it. I'll let you know how it turns out. We'll have salad with it plus steamed veggies. Maybe some brown rice. Gotta have either rice or potatoes for hubby!!

Last edited by gailbayne; 08-02-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
Berta48

Quote:
Hi Berta -
Bean burgers?? Sounds good to me. Hubby would ABSOLUTELY freak out if I put that in front of him. But I'd eat it in a second!!

We're having teriyaki chicken tonight. Marinated chicken breast in soy sauce, grated ginger and garlic and spices. It's called dump chicken. Dump everything in a bag and freeze until you feel like having chicken for dinner. Then let it thaw overnight and cook in the oven. I posted the recipe on the p1 recipe thread. This is the first time we'll be having it. I'll let you know how it turns out. We'll have salad with it plus steamed veggies. Maybe some brown rice. Gotta have either rice or potatoes for hubby!!
Penny
Don't tell him what they are made from girlfriend! My DH didn't know until after he ate his and he loved them.I used butter beans, or Black beans, or pinto beans are good too.Put sliced tomato, onions, lettuce and mayo or mustard on them on a whole grain bun

Chicken recipe sounds great.I may just have to try that!!! Thanks.
Have a great week-end. I am having PC problems so I will be getting it fixed soon!.

My first PH2 weigh in is Mon. and I haven't lost even an ounce yet and I have been on plan. I have had bread twice and fruit twice all week. So we will see! I know it is going to slow down but I am sure hoping and praying for at least a one lb loss each week

I also know I have to make myself get in some exercise somehow
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

For lunch I fixed the tilapia recipe Glitterific posted. It was sooooo good! Only problem was it wasn't crispy but the tastes of the freshly grated parm and paprika were great together! I served this with broccoli and a little cheese melted on top. Yummy!

For dinner I have an acorn squash I'm preparing to fix with some type of meat stuffing. I'm defrosting ground beef right now and I have 2 of the induction rolls I'm thinking of mixing in. Adding celery, onions, and spices. Believe it or not this is the first time I've ever cooked it and I've never eaten it before either! For a snack I took 2 of the bean cake muffins, split in half, and mixed a fudgesicle and tablespoon of peanut butter and put it between the two halves as an ice cream filling. Then I wrapped them and froze them. Tonight when hubby and I are looking for a treat..ta da! They'll be ready for us. Well maybe with a little defrosting first. Lol

Berta- I know what you mean. I had PC problems on my camping trip. I usually type in my iPad and if I'm not careful in my spelling it fills in its own words! And if I didn't double check I'd be so embarrassed. It's words are not my words. And I'll have to remember those bean patties. DH won't complain if I tell him it's "supposed" to taste like that. :-)

Penny- great idea about a dump meal! I'll need to try something like that on days when I just have no idea what to cook. That's one reason I think this thread is so great bacause all you ladies "are" my inspiration!!

Hi Glitter-( sorry but can't remember if you posted your name) haven't heard from you today. Y'all recovering from hubby bd party? I'd be needing some sort of fudgesicle intervention since we're not allowed cake. :-)

Have a great day, ladies!
Lola

Last edited by Gmomof7; 08-02-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Berta48

Quote:
For lunch I fixed the tilapia recipe Glitterific posted. It was sooooo good! Only problem was it wasn't crispy but the tastes of the freshly grated parm and paprika were great together! I served this with broccoli and a little cheese melted on top. Yummy!

For dinner I have an acorn squash I'm preparing to fix with some type of meat stuffing. I'm defrosting ground beef right now and I have 2 of the induction rolls I'm thinking of mixing in. Adding celery, onions, and spices. Believe it or not this is the first time I've ever cooked it and I've never eaten it before either! For a snack I took 2 of the bean cake muffins, split in half, and mixed a fudgesicle and tablespoon of peanut butter and put it between the two halves as an ice cream filling. Then I wrapped them and froze them. Tonight when hubby and I are looking for a treat..ta da! They'll be ready for us. Well maybe with a little defrosting first. Lol

Berta- I know what you mean. I had PC problems on my camping trip. I usually type in my iPad and if I'm not careful in my spelling it fills in its own words! And if I didn't double check I'd be so embarrassed. It's words are not my words. And I'll have to remember those bean patties. DH won't complain if I tell him it's "supposed" to taste like that. :-)

Penny- great idea about a dump meal! I'll need to try something like that on days when I just have no idea what to cook. That's one reason I think this thread is so great bacause all you ladies "are" my inspiration!!

Hi Glitter-( sorry but can't remember if you posted your name) haven't heard from you today. Y'all recovering from hubby bd party? I'd be needing some sort of fudgesicle intervention since we're not allowed cake. :-)

Have a great day, ladies!
Lola
OHHHH I am here to tell you if you want cake gotta try this It is awesome!!!
COPIED FROM KAYLN"S KITCHEN

Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Garden Harvest Cake with Zucchini, Apple, and Carrot
(Makes one loaf, recipe adapted from Garden Harvest Cake by Jennifer Dunklee for the Austin American Spokesman, doesn't seem to be a way to link directly to the recipe.)

1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour if not on SB)
3/4 cup Splenda or Stevia in the Raw (or use sugar if you prefer)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used Saigon Cassia cinnamon from The Spice House)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt (I used fine grind sea salt)
1/2 cup peeled and grated Granny Smith apple (1 medium-sized apple)
1/2 cup grated carrot (1 medium carrot)
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, original recipe used 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup RF buttermilk
2 large eggs
non-stick spray or oil for coating loaf pan

Preheat oven to 350F/175C and spray a 8 X 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray or oil (Or you can use a 9 x 5 inch pan and have a flatter cake like I did!) In a large mixing bowl, add white whole wheat flour, sweetener, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix together with large spoon until well-combined.

Add grated apple, grated carrot, grated zucchini, and chopped pecans to the bowl with the flour mixture. Use the spoon to toss ingredients together until all ingredients are well coated with flour.

In a smaller bowl, add canola oil, buttermilk, and eggs, and beat with a whisk for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Pour egg mixture into the other bowl with the flour mixture and stir until just combined. (Mixture will be fairly stiff.)

Pour cake into oiled loaf pan. Bake at 350F/175C for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out completely clean. (For me, that was exactly 50 minutes.)

Cool cake in the pan placed on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove cake from pan (I used a knife to go around the edge) and cool cake completely on rack before slicing. This lasted several days in the refrigerator, but only because I was very diligently using portion control!

Last edited by Berta48; 08-02-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Girls

Quote:
OHHHH I am here to tell you if you want cake gotta try this It is awesome!!!
COPIED FROM KAYLN"S KITCHEN

Low-Sugar and Whole Wheat Garden Harvest Cake with Zucchini, Apple, and Carrot
(Makes one loaf, recipe adapted from Garden Harvest Cake by Jennifer Dunklee for the Austin American Spokesman, doesn't seem to be a way to link directly to the recipe.)

1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour if not on SB)
3/4 cup Splenda or Stevia in the Raw (or use sugar if you prefer)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used Saigon Cassia cinnamon from The Spice House)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt (I used fine grind sea salt)
1/2 cup peeled and grated Granny Smith apple (1 medium-sized apple)
1/2 cup grated carrot (1 medium carrot)
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, original recipe used 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup RF buttermilk
2 large eggs
non-stick spray or oil for coating loaf pan

Preheat oven to 350F/175C and spray a 8 X 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray or oil (Or you can use a 9 x 5 inch pan and have a flatter cake like I did!) In a large mixing bowl, add white whole wheat flour, sweetener, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix together with large spoon until well-combined.

Add grated apple, grated carrot, grated zucchini, and chopped pecans to the bowl with the flour mixture. Use the spoon to toss ingredients together until all ingredients are well coated with flour.

In a smaller bowl, add canola oil, buttermilk, and eggs, and beat with a whisk for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Pour egg mixture into the other bowl with the flour mixture and stir until just combined. (Mixture will be fairly stiff.)

Pour cake into oiled loaf pan. Bake at 350F/175C for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out completely clean. (For me, that was exactly 50 minutes.)

Cool cake in the pan placed on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove cake from pan (I used a knife to go around the edge) and cool cake completely on rack before slicing. This lasted several days in the refrigerator, but only because I was very diligently using portion control!
Thanks for the recipe! I'm needing to pick up 4 of the ingredients from the store before I can try it. I don't even have any apples in the house. Does it taste similar to a coffee cake or regular cake? Do you eat it on phase 2? Can carrots and apples be added on same day? This sounds like something I can eat when I have couples over for cake and coffee and perhaps not feel guilty about. Or maybe just not TOO guilty! .

i bought a muffin top pan yesterday hoping to make quick mini meals for a few days worth. Any ideas, anyone?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Berta48

Quote:
Thanks for the recipe! I'm needing to pick up 4 of the ingredients from the store before I can try it. I don't even have any apples in the house. Does it taste similar to a coffee cake or regular cake? Do you eat it on phase 2? Can carrots and apples be added on same day? This sounds like something I can eat when I have couples over for cake and coffee and perhaps not feel guilty about. Or maybe just not TOO guilty! .

i bought a muffin top pan yesterday hoping to make quick mini meals for a few days worth. Any ideas, anyone?
Yes you can eat it together it is from Kayln's Kitchen and she has SB recipes.She lost her weight on SB and has a site with all Phases of recipes.

The carrots & apple are PH2 . It taste likes zuchinni bread. Soft & moist Anyway I certainly like it almost too much as it's hard for me to stay out of it!

Last edited by Berta48; 08-02-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes you can eat it together it is from Kayln's Kitchen and she has SB recipes.She lost her weight on SB and has a site with all Phases of recipes.

The carrots & apple are PH2 . It taste likes zuchinni bread. Soft & moist Anyway I certainly like it almost too much as it's hard for me to stay out of it!
Well it sure sounds delicious! I've never had zucchini bread either that I can recall. But if I fix it when friends or family comes by then I can have a slice and let them take the rest of it home with them when they leave. Or I can freeze a couple of pieces and have it when I get a big craving for cake. Either way I can't be trusted with a whole cake lying there just calling my name. Lol. My friends husband would probably enjoy it too as he's diabetic.