Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 301
Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Got them today I have been looking at them all evening.I printed a few recipes out as I am not very PC savvy and don't know where they are downloaded at LOL. I can probably find them again just haven't time to search tonight!
There are some overlapping recipes but it all sounds good. Lots of SB tweeks to be made since they were more Atkins but lots to work with!
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I usually buy those combos at Wegman's (usually you have to mix) but I'm working on one with kalamata olive version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Got them today I have been looking at them all evening.I printed a few recipes out as I am not very PC savvy and don't know where they are downloaded at LOL. I can probably find them again just haven't time to search tonight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
There are some overlapping recipes but it all sounds good. Lots of SB tweeks to be made since they were more Atkins but lots to work with!
Berta- I hope you enjoy the books!

Glitter- I have two of his books but if you want to try them before buying he has most listed on his website for free. I do lower the fat from one of his books but he had already gone low fat by the time the other book was written so except for the soy flour, which I don't use, most recipes are pretty much on plan or easily tweakable.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #153
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Berta- I hope you enjoy the books!

Glitter- I have two of his books but if you want to try them before buying he has most listed on his website for free. I do lower the fat from one of his books but he had already gone low fat by the time the other book was written so except for the soy flour, which I don't use, most recipes are pretty much on plan or easily tweakable.
Thank you I have been. I have cooked all day today
I have put on a few lbs and decided I have to get more strict or something.I really don't know why I have, except perhaps the Frappuchinos I have been drinking.But I have stopped.I have also been trying to drink my water as I have not been doing that very fatihfully either!

Today I had ww buttermilk blueberry pancakes and an egg. Tonight we are having Overn fried chicken with almonds from the SB Diet Cookbook! For desert we are having berry parfait.I put a bit of cool whip and then blueberries, then more cool whip and then rasberries then more cool whip then blackberries. and topped it with more cool whip and a few of each of the berries. It looks very nice and pretty.My DH has MUCH MUCH more cool whip than me. I only have about 2tbs in the whole glass but it will still be good I am going to start making my own with FF Half N Half.The problem being you can't make alot as it falls and doesn't stay whipped very long.

I made pumpkin muffins for my breakfast and so now I have them and my pancakes all ready to go!!!

It is during the times I don't feel like cooking that I usually goof up and just grab something. So now I plan on fixing things ahead of time for those times. We have 3 freezers so I have room!

I am going to start exercising tomorrow too! Not sure for how long but I think in time I will be ok.I know for a fact at first I won't be able to keep up with the DVD but anything is better than nothing right?

I wonder how Penny is doing these days

I feel really really awful as on the SB thread I hurt Rose's feelings and I feel so bad I didn't mean anything by the way she took it.She has been there for me for a loooong time and helping along the way.I just feel so bad. I ask her to forgive me and accept my apology but she hasn't answered me back. Guess that is all I can do about it.

Glitter hasn't been here for awhile either???
Well take care friend!

P>S> I almost forgot, in the SB Diet Cookbook they have a place to order Splenda brown Sugar replacement!!!Also a web page to order the Sugar Twin.But unfortunately I am not allowed to share the web address on here!But it is on page 218 of the South Beach Diet CookBookI am definetely ordering some!

Last edited by Berta48; 09-10-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #154
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
I forgot to add I fixed steamed carrots, zuchinni and squash with RF cheese sauce and also fresh green beans to go with our supper tonight!
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Making your own is so very easy! Just a food processor or blender makes quick work of it. I also don't bother with the tahini, it's expensive and doesn't make enough of a flavor change that I miss it. 2 cans of chick peas (1 drained, 1 with all the liquid), 1 lemon juiced (grate the lemon peel if you like extra lemon), 1/2 garlic clove (roasted garlic is even better) salt and pepper. You can add some olives (I'd start with 6 pitted ones) and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
Glitter- is this a recipe you made up? It sounds delicious! I have a kitchenaid so will use that. I don't have any chick peas nor tahini but have them on my shopping list for when my leg stops hurting. I was wondering if I'd like tahini enough in different things to use up a whole container but may skip it if doesn't make a difference. I made hummus a few years ago and didn't like the recipe I found on internet but want to try yours. THANKS! Hate trying recipes that flop!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Making your own is so very easy! Just a food processor or blender makes quick work of it. I also don't bother with the tahini, it's expensive and doesn't make enough of a flavor change that I miss it. 2 cans of chick peas (1 drained, 1 with all the liquid), 1 lemon juiced (grate the lemon peel if you like extra lemon), 1/2 garlic clove (roasted garlic is even better) salt and pepper. You can add some olives (I'd start with 6 pitted ones) and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Thank you I have been. I have cooked all day today
I have put on a few lbs and decided I have to get more strict or something.I really don't know why I have, except perhaps the Frappuchinos I have been drinking.But I have stopped.I have also been trying to drink my water as I have not been doing that very fatihfully either!

Today I had ww buttermilk blueberry pancakes and an egg. Tonight we are having Overn fried chicken with almonds from the SB Diet Cookbook! For desert we are having berry parfait.I put a bit of cool whip and then blueberries, then more cool whip and then rasberries then more cool whip then blackberries. and topped it with more cool whip and a few of each of the berries. It looks very nice and pretty.My DH has MUCH MUCH more cool whip than me. I only have about 2tbs in the whole glass but it will still be good I am going to start making my own with FF Half N Half.The problem being you can't make alot as it falls and doesn't stay whipped very long.

I made pumpkin muffins for my breakfast and so now I have them and my pancakes all ready to go!!!

It is during the times I don't feel like cooking that I usually goof up and just grab something. So now I plan on fixing things ahead of time for those times. We have 3 freezers so I have room!

I am going to start exercising tomorrow too! Not sure for how long but I think in time I will be ok.I know for a fact at first I won't be able to keep up with the DVD but anything is better than nothing right?

I wonder how Penny is doing these days

I feel really really awful as on the SB thread I hurt Rose's feelings and I feel so bad I didn't mean anything by the way she took it.She has been there for me for a loooong time and helping along the way.I just feel so bad. I ask her to forgive me and accept my apology but she hasn't answered me back. Guess that is all I can do about it.

Glitter hasn't been here for awhile either???
Well take care friend!

P>S> I almost forgot, in the SB Diet Cookbook they have a place to order Splenda brown Sugar replacement!!!Also a web page to order the Sugar Twin.But unfortunately I am not allowed to share the web address on here!But it is on page 218 of the South Beach Diet CookBookI am definetely ordering some!
I agree that having foods already prepared helps in the long run. Is the Parfaits the one in Stella's book? He mentioned that whipped cream doesn't hold up so making small batches is the way to go. It sounds very refreshing with the different berries.

I'll have to check on the Brown Sugar Twin. I thought the Splenda brown sugar had regular sugar in it. Could be wrong!

Do you use sugar free syrup on your pancakes or make your own fruit syrup?

Today we had pork chops and mixed veggies. I recently bought a Nuwave oven and cooked the pork chops on the rack and took no time at all to prepare. I wasn't crazy about cleaning the rack but it actually cleaned up pretty easily. Tonight we had hot wings using chicken breasts, green beans and eggplants from our garden. And fudgesicles for our dessert later on.

Have a good evening!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #157
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
I agree that having foods already prepared helps in the long run. Is the Parfaits the one in Stella's book? He mentioned that whipped cream doesn't hold up so making small batches is the way to go. It sounds very refreshing with the different berries.

I'll have to check on the Brown Sugar Twin. I thought the Splenda brown sugar had regular sugar in it. Could be wrong!

Do you use sugar free syrup on your pancakes or make your own fruit syrup?

Today we had pork chops and mixed veggies. I recently bought a Nuwave oven and cooked the pork chops on the rack and took no time at all to prepare. I wasn't crazy about cleaning the rack but it actually cleaned up pretty easily. Tonight we had hot wings using chicken breasts, green beans and eggplants from our garden. And fudgesicles for our dessert later on.

Have a good evening!
Yes I use SF maple syrup but not alot. No I just made up the berry Parfait it was good.

The Splenda brown sugar does have sugar but this is called Splenda Brown Sugar Syrup. It is like Davinncis Syrup. I wish I could give you the web address but I can't it is against the threads rules.
It is pricey but I think I'll try it at least once.

We are having baked pork chops tomorrow night with homemade mushroom gravy and the leftover green beans and sliced tomatoes


Mushroom Gravy.... Great over beef, Pork chops or Chicken!
Makes 4 cups

1/4c SB friiendly margarine
1 lb mushrooms sliced
1/3c SB friendly Flour (I used white WW)
1 quart COLD broth, beef,chicken, or vegetable depending on what you are using it on.
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Melt the margarine in a large saucepan, over meium-high heat.When the margarine starts to sizzle, add the mushrooms and cook,stirring foir ten minutes, or until the mushroom juices have evaporated, and they've begun to brown. Stir in the lfour, reduce heat to medium, and cook another 5 minutes.

WHISK in 1 cup of the COLD broth.Once incorporated, pour in the rest of the broth, and add the thyme.Bring back to simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and fresh pepper to taste. Serve Hot.

For thicker gravy, turn the heat up to medium, and reduce to desired thickness.For thinner gravy, simply add more broth.
__________________

Last edited by Berta48; 09-10-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 301
Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Glitter- is this a recipe you made up? It sounds delicious! I have a kitchenaid so will use that. I don't have any chick peas nor tahini but have them on my shopping list for when my leg stops hurting. I was wondering if I'd like tahini enough in different things to use up a whole container but may skip it if doesn't make a difference. I made hummus a few years ago and didn't like the recipe I found on internet but want to try yours. THANKS! Hate trying recipes that flop!
I have been trying to make my own olive hummus so those are the ratios I've used.. my aunt had made it with feta so I used the ratio she gave me! Maybe it would be a fun challenge to see what else we can use tahini for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Glitter hasn't been here for awhile either???
Well take care friend!

P>S> I almost forgot, in the SB Diet Cookbook they have a place to order Splenda brown Sugar replacement!!!Also a web page to order the Sugar Twin.But unfortunately I am not allowed to share the web address on here!But it is on page 218 of the South Beach Diet CookBookI am definetely ordering some!
Hey! Sorry, the last few days have just been full (I did have a slip up) so thank for thinking of me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Yes I use SF maple syrup but not alot. No I just made up the berry Parfait it was good.

The Splenda brown sugar does have sugar but this is called Splenda Brown Sugar Syrup. It is like Davinncis Syrup. I wish I could give you the web address but I can't it is against the threads rules.
It is pricey but I think I'll try it at least once.

We are having baked pork chops tomorrow night with homemade mushroom gravy and the leftover green beans and sliced tomatoes
hmm.. liquid brown sugar splenda.. really curious about that!!! can't wait to hear the review!

Monday night we had pizza (bad! not the good pizza).. Tuesday I had whole grain pasta (measured the serving) and big salad.. tonight I'm making szechuan chicken and green beans with brown rice.. lunch is some baked chicken with sugar snap peas
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #159
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Down 2lbs from Monday. Will get back to my 243 one of these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I have been trying to make my own olive hummus so those are the ratios I've used.. my aunt had made it with feta so I used the ratio she gave me! Maybe it would be a fun challenge to see what else we can use tahini for



Hey! Sorry, the last few days have just been full (I did have a slip up) so thank for thinking of me.




hmm.. liquid brown sugar splenda.. really curious about that!!! can't wait to hear the review!

Monday night we had pizza (bad! not the good pizza).. Tuesday I had whole grain pasta (measured the serving) and big salad.. tonight I'm making szechuan chicken and green beans with brown rice.. lunch is some baked chicken with sugar snap peas
I went to the site but it couldn't find Splenda liquid brown sugar.I saw xyilitol brown sugar but I can't stand that stuff such a bitter after taste IMO. It is really pricey too so I will have to wait for a month or so before I have the extra money to get it.Hate being on SSI(But so thankful for it)as money has to budgeted carefully

Last edited by Berta48; 09-11-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I have been trying to make my own olive hummus so those are the ratios I've used.. my aunt had made it with feta so I used the ratio she gave me! Maybe it would be a fun challenge to see what else we can use tahini for



Hey! Sorry, the last few days have just been full (I did have a slip up) so thank for thinking of me.




hmm.. liquid brown sugar splenda.. really curious about that!!! can't wait to hear the review!

Monday night we had pizza (bad! not the good pizza).. Tuesday I had whole grain pasta (measured the serving) and big salad.. tonight I'm making szechuan chicken and green beans with brown rice.. lunch is some baked chicken with sugar snap peas
Are the feta and olives mixed in the food prosessor or added in chunks later after everything has blended? Supposed to shop for hummus ingredients today.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
I bought a package of whole wheat pizza crusts at World Market last week. Each crust is 3 g fat and if I remember correctly no sugar. We had WW pizzas for lunch today. Yummy!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I have been trying to make my own olive hummus so those are the ratios I've used.. my aunt had made it with feta so I used the ratio she gave me! Maybe it would be a fun challenge to see what else we can use tahini for



Hey! Sorry, the last few days have just been full (I did have a slip up) so thank for thinking of me.




hmm.. liquid brown sugar splenda.. really curious about that!!! can't wait to hear the review!

Monday night we had pizza (bad! not the good pizza).. Tuesday I had whole grain pasta (measured the serving) and big salad.. tonight I'm making szechuan chicken and green beans with brown rice.. lunch is some baked chicken with sugar snap peas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Down 2lbs from Monday. Will get back to my 243 one of these days!



I went to the site but it couldn't find Splenda liquid brown sugar.I saw xyilitol brown sugar but I can't stand that stuff such a bitter after taste IMO. It is really pricey too so I will have to wait for a month or so before I have the extra money to get it.Hate being on SSI(But so thankful for it)as money has to budgeted carefully
big thumbs up!!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #163
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
I bought a package of whole wheat pizza crusts at World Market last week. Each crust is 3 g fat and if I remember correctly no sugar. We had WW pizzas for lunch today. Yummy!
Sounds yummy!!!!

Do you know if 100% Semolina and 100% Durham flour is ok on SB? I haven't been able to find Whole Grain but I have found 100% would that be the same thing or not?

Last edited by Berta48; 09-11-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #164
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Hi look what I found searching the net! Haven't tried it, but I plan to next time a recipe calls for brown sugar!


Splenda® Brown Sugar - Substitute

Ingredients
1 cup splenda granular
1/4 cup maple syrup

P.S. Saw Torani brown sugar cinnamon Syrup too!They sell it on Netrition!Much, Much, cheaper there too!!!!

Last edited by Berta48; 09-11-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Hi look what I found searching the net! Haven't tried it, but I plan to next time a recipe calls for brown sugar!


Splenda® Brown Sugar - Substitute

Ingredients
1 cup splenda granular
1/4 cup maple syrup

P.S. Saw Torani brown sugar cinnamon Syrup too!They sell it on Netrition!Much, Much, cheaper there too!!!!
I don't know about the flours. Hate to steer you wrong. If the syrup is only used to flavor the Splenda I would imagine using SF syrup would totally be on plan! And a lot cheaper than ordering brown sugar Splenda online.

I bought the ingredients today to make the hummus. May have some of as a snack tonight.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Making your own is so very easy! Just a food processor or blender makes quick work of it. I also don't bother with the tahini, it's expensive and doesn't make enough of a flavor change that I miss it. 2 cans of chick peas (1 drained, 1 with all the liquid), 1 lemon juiced (grate the lemon peel if you like extra lemon), 1/2 garlic clove (roasted garlic is even better) salt and pepper. You can add some olives (I'd start with 6 pitted ones) and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
I bought everything but the tahini not sure how much of it I would actually use. Tonight I mixed in the ingredients in my food processor and it came out nice and creamy but still thick enough. I found the lemon taste was a little strong (but we aren't lemon fans)) so to counteract the tartness I added a little sesame oil (figured it could sub for the sesame seed flavor) and it toned down the lemon quite a bit. I really liked it! I brushed a little olive oil and garlic powder on a whole wheat bun and popped it in the oven to toast it a little. Then I cut it in wedges using a pizza cutter and we ate some hummus with it. I imagine tomorrow, after the flavors will have had a chance to meld, it will be even more flavorful!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #167
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
I don't know about the flours. Hate to steer you wrong. If the syrup is only used to flavor the Splenda I would imagine using SF syrup would totally be on plan! And a lot cheaper than ordering brown sugar Splenda online.

I bought the ingredients today to make the hummus. May have some of as a snack tonight.
I don't know but I looked on the bag of our light brown sugar tonight and the ingredients are sugar and molasses!!!!So we are allowed some molasses so I am going try that in a recipe.

We'll figure something for brown sugar yet

Have to have a luncheon for a funeral tomorrow and had to buy brown sugar for the ham. It sure smells good

What does hummus taste like and what's it made of?

Last edited by Berta48; 09-11-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Hi look what I found searching the net! Haven't tried it, but I plan to next time a recipe calls for brown sugar!


Splenda® Brown Sugar - Substitute

Ingredients
1 cup splenda granular
1/4 cup maple syrup

P.S. Saw Torani brown sugar cinnamon Syrup too!They sell it on Netrition!Much, Much, cheaper there too!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I don't know but I looked on the bag of our light brown sugar tonight and the ingredients are sugar and molasses!!!!So we are allowed some molasses so I am going try that in a recipe.

We'll figure something for brown sugar yet

Have to have a luncheon for a funeral tomorrow and had to buy brown sugar for the ham. It sure smells good


What does hummus taste like and what's it made of?
Hummus is made with chickpeas, tahini, seasoning (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, your choice) garlic, lemon, etc. I never cared for it till I had it for my birthday dinner with my kids. It was served as Mediterranean wraps on romaine lettuce so it was on plan and so delicious. Ours was served with shrimp and olives. Yummy. Glitter posted a recipe on this board if you'd like to try it.


I saw a brown sugar recipe that calls for erythritol and molasses too, if you're interested. I don't have either in my house. But only made one sweet thing since starting and that was chocolate frosting with whipped cream and bakers chocolate with zylitol.

Last edited by Gmomof7; 09-12-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 301
Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
I make my own real brown sugar.. 1 cup sugar, 1 TBL molasses
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Making your own is so very easy! Just a food processor or blender makes quick work of it. I also don't bother with the tahini, it's expensive and doesn't make enough of a flavor change that I miss it. 2 cans of chick peas (1 drained, 1 with all the liquid), 1 lemon juiced (grate the lemon peel if you like extra lemon), 1/2 garlic clove (roasted garlic is even better) salt and pepper. You can add some olives (I'd start with 6 pitted ones) and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I make my own real brown sugar.. 1 cup sugar, 1 TBL molasses
Just wondering if your WOE of eating is still considered SB using real sugar?
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 301
Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Just wondering if your WOE of eating is still considered SB using real sugar?
Oh no, sorry. should have said that is the ratio! I still bake at holidays and birthdays, I just don't eat it.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #172
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Oh no, sorry. should have said that is the ratio! I still bake at holidays and birthdays, I just don't eat it.
Hope it works with Splenda
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #173
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Hummus is made with chickpeas, tahini, seasoning (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, your choice) garlic, lemon, etc. I never cared for it till I had it for my birthday dinner with my kids. It was served as Mediterranean wraps on romaine lettuce so it was on plan and so delicious. Ours was served with shrimp and olives. Yummy. Glitter posted a recipe on this board if you'd like to try it.


I saw a brown sugar recipe that calls for erythritol and molasses too, if you're interested. I don't have either in my house. But only made one sweet thing since starting and that was chocolate frosting with whipped cream and bakers chocolate with zylitol.
If chickpeas are garbonza beans? I like them in three bean salad.Red beans, green beans, & chickepeas with vinegar water and Splenda, I may have to try the Hummus I've never tasted it before just doesn't sound appealing. and I have no idea what tahini is either?

So do you use it like a dip with the shrimp?

Last edited by Berta48; 09-12-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #174
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Making your own is so very easy! Just a food processor or blender makes quick work of it. I also don't bother with the tahini, it's expensive and doesn't make enough of a flavor change that I miss it. 2 cans of chick peas (1 drained, 1 with all the liquid), 1 lemon juiced (grate the lemon peel if you like extra lemon), 1/2 garlic clove (roasted garlic is even better) salt and pepper. You can add some olives (I'd start with 6 pitted ones) and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
Is there any other cheese that would be good to make Hummus with?
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
If chickpeas are garbonza beans? I like them in three bean salad.Red beans, green beans, & chickepeas with vinegar water and Splenda, I may have to try the Hummus I've never tasted it before just doesn't sound appealing. and I have no idea what tahini is either?

So do you use it like a dip with the shrimp?
Yes, chickpeas are garbanzo beans. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. You don't have to add feta...or olives..or whatever you don't like. I think hummus is an acquired taste. I barely tolerated it the first few times I had it. My son loves exotic foods and he and his wife try all the ethnic restaurants so he had us try Greek/Mediterranean foods. Then Sunday I had some made in a different restaurant and it was fabulous.

I made lettuce wraps for lunch today and ate some of my hummus on it. Enjoyed it but stayed hungry all day. Lately I've been hungry all the time! For dinner tonight I made a Linda Sue Italian casserole and didn't care for it. I also cooked lots of fresh green beans so that helped for awhile.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #176
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
I just found this from 3fat chicks on a diet.


"Brown Sugar"

This recipe is designed to help you replace brown sugar in your dessert recipes.

Makes: enough to replace 1 cup standard brown sugar

1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular
1/4 cup Sugar-Free Maple Syrup (made with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener)

Pour ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix well. Use as brown sugar in your favorite baked recipes where brown sugar is required. Makes 1/4 cup (enough to replace 1 cup of standard brown sugar).

Nutrition information
Serving size: 1 recipe (1/4 cup)

Total Calories 130

Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 100 mg
Total Carbohydrates 36 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g

I just am on a roll today looking up healthy recipes.Here's another I am trying this tomorrow night with baked pork chops

Zucchini Pancakes with Carrots and Basil Chive Cream







Prep time

30 mins


Cook time

6 mins


Total time

36 mins



Perfect for any summer or fall menu, enjoy these crispy veggie pancakes that are impressive and simple to make.


Recipe type: Side or Meatless Main Dish

Serves: 8 pancakes


Ingredients
•For Basil Chive Cream
•3/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (may use low-fat)
•1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
•Salt to taste
•For Pancakes
•2 zucchini, grated
•2 carrots, grated
•1 1/4 teaspoon salt
•1/4 cup almond flour*
•1/2 teaspoon sugar*
•1/4 teaspoon black pepper
•2 egg whites
•olive oil
•*If you only have all-purpose flour, use same amount of flour but increase sugar to 1 1/4 teaspoon.


Instructions
1.Make Basil Chive Cream
2.In a bowl, combine sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, chopped basil, chives and salt (I used about 1/8 teaspoon).
3.Store in fridge until ready to serve.
4.Make Pancakes
5.Shred zucchini and the carrots. Place together in a colander and toss with 1 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
6.Let sit 20 minutes so moisture can release from veggies.
7.After 20 minutes, take a handful of the zucchini and carrot mixture and squeeze hard to remove all the liquid.
8.Transfer the drained veggies to a large bowl and combine with flour, sugar and pepper.
9.Using a stand mixer, beat egg whites into stiff peaks (Tip: Did you know if you get even a tiny bit of egg yolk into your whites, they will never beat stiff enough?).
10.Fold beaten egg whites into zucchini and carrot mixture until well combined.
11.In a non-stick or cast-iron pan, heat approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
12.Once oil is shimmery, add about 1/4 cup zucchini-carrot mixture and immediately press flat with spatula.
13.Cook until golden on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Cook's note: I personally like them on the darker side for added crispiness, but experiment to your taste.
1.
14.Transfer cooked pancakes to paper towel to drain excess oil.
15.Serve hot with a dollop of Basil Chive Cream.

Last edited by Berta48; 09-13-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #177
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
I tried to delete the cook time and etc. But it wouldn't let me SORRY!

Last edited by Berta48; 09-13-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 301
Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Is there any other cheese that would be good to make Hummus with?
goat cheese is the only other one I tried.. it has to be a creamy cheese or it will never blend right in a food processor.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #179
Berta48
 
Berta48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 7,991
Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
goat cheese is the only other one I tried.. it has to be a creamy cheese or it will never blend right in a food processor.
I was thinking cream cheese?
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Found out that the hummus I liked so much was pesto hummus. I'll need to try making that one next. Yummy! :-)
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.