Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #121
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Glad to see you back!

Today we had a hamburger with Monterey Jack cheese minus the buns. It had lettuce, onion, tomato, and a side salad for extra veggies. I am baking a meatloaf for dinner using my recipe that is my husband's favorite except subbing regular Splenda for the brown sugar and reduced sugar ketchup ( in greatly reduced amounts). Wish Splenda had a SF brown sugar as I'm not sure it will taste as good using regular Splenda.
I am using my DH PC since we took mine in to the shop today.

Have you tried using Brown Sugar Twin? I use it sometimes and like it in things. Just a thought. Also Heinz has a Reduced sugar ketchup that is really good. You could also try molasses in place of the brown sugar. It is allowed in limited amounts in PH2 .

We had stir fry at a Mongolian House for my Birthday tonight it was really good. I brought half of it home. I didn't use any rice or noodles, just the veggies and sauce.
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I am using my DH PC since we took mine in to the shop today.

Have you tried using Brown Sugar Twin? I use it sometimes and like it in things. Just a thought. Also Heinz has a Reduced sugar ketchup that is really good. You could also try molasses in place of the brown sugar. It is allowed in limited amounts in PH2 .

We had stir fry at a Mongolian House for my Birthday tonight it was really good. I brought half of it home. I didn't use any rice or noodles, just the veggies and sauce.
Your birthday dinner sounds yummy.

I finally found the reduced sugar ketchup! I looked for Brown Sugar Twin at several stores but no one around here seems to carry it. Did you buy it in a local grocery store or ordered it online? I didn't think of using molasses. If I can't find the Sugar Twin I might have to use that.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
The first time on the Beach, I was not a planner but I simply don't have the time anymore and just eat what I have planned. Although last night I forgot to marinade the chicken so we had leftovers and instead, tonight I'll be trying hummus chicken!

Hummus Chicken I found on pinterest and the blog gimmesomeoven. Reminds me of that recipe with mayo/parmesan

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup hummus, homemade or storebought (willing to be we don't need to use that much)
1 tsp. smoked paprika or sumac
salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare one large baking dish or two smaller baking dishes with cooking spray.
Season the chicken breasts with generous pinches of salt and pepper.
Cover each chicken breast with the hummus so that the entire breast is covered
Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

It's just DH and I so I usually have some sort of leftovers to eat the next day. Some people don't like leftovers but we do!! Yummy! :-)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Hummus Chicken was all right.. a nice quick meal... my home made hummus was a little weak in the flavor department. I packed it for lunch today and I hope my daughter enjoys it (she has made meals out of hummus before lol)

really looking forward to the szechuan turkey tonight!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Hummus Chicken was all right.. a nice quick meal... my home made hummus was a little weak in the flavor department. I packed it for lunch today and I hope my daughter enjoys it (she has made meals out of hummus before lol)

really looking forward to the szechuan turkey tonight!
Your recipes sound so exotic and tasty! When we're not dieting we just eat plain comfort foods...red beans over rice, chicken and sausage gumbo, jambalaya, stews, etc. So you can see we eat lots of rice. We haven't had any of our typical 'comfort foods' since starting SB. I'll have to try reintroducing them as I can now substitute brown rice. Does anyone know if almond flour can be used in stews like white flour? And can anyone suggest a good way to cook brown rice? I've tried it in the past and it never seemed to cook tender enough. TIA
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Your recipes sound so exotic and tasty! When we're not dieting we just eat plain comfort foods...red beans over rice, chicken and sausage gumbo, jambalaya, stews, etc. So you can see we eat lots of rice. We haven't had any of our typical 'comfort foods' since starting SB. I'll have to try reintroducing them as I can now substitute brown rice. Does anyone know if almond flour can be used in stews like white flour? And can anyone suggest a good way to cook brown rice? I've tried it in the past and it never seemed to cook tender enough. TIA

almond flour does not thicken like regular flour.. corn starch, thick n thin not starch/sugar (wonder if that still exists? it's in this sites store)

I use jasmine brown rice and instead of 2:1 water, I use 2 1/2 cups and cook for 35 minutes and leave it be for 5 min off the heat. I really want a rice cooker but this works well so far
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

I have several different sizes of rice cookers. I love using them. One has a brown rice cycle. I'll have to try using it again, since I haven't had rice in 3 months, to see if I can get used to it. I believe I do have some jasmine rice left in the pantry. I used it for Bob Warden's chocolate coconut rice pudding recipe. I didn't think of jasmine rice as being SB friendly. :-)

On Wednesday for lunch I fixed Pork Paprikash using pork chops. I could eat that everyday. Had it with a large serving of salad and fresh green beans. For dinner I heated up a slice of leftover meatloaf with paprika sauce on top. Yesterday we had eggs and sausage for breakfast but then didn't eat again till around 3:00 when I coated two chicken breasts in egg wash with lots of spices and then almond flour and baked it. I should say I over baked it. Was a little dry but had a good flavor. We had that with lettuce on the side. We skipped dinner and had a celery stalk with a wedge of laughing cow cheese about 9 pm. Past couple days wasn't exactly on eating plan but I only used phase 1 foods so don't feel too bad about it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

almond flour does not thicken like regular flour.. corn starch, thick n thin not starch/sugar (wonder if that still exists? it's in this sites store)

I use jasmine brown rice and instead of 2:1 water, I use 2 1/2 cups and cook for 35 minutes and leave it be for 5 min off the heat. I really want a rice cooker but this works well so far
Have you ever used zanthum gum? Might not have that right. I saw it in my pharmacy next to almond flour and xylitol so wondered if that is a good thickening agent?

Thanks, Glitter, for recommending the xylitol. I can't tell the difference. Tastes just like sugar to me! I used to buy the giant size box of Splenda at Sams but since trying xylitol I've just about used that exclusively. anymore suggestions?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you ever used zanthum gum? Might not have that right. I saw it in my pharmacy next to almond flour and xylitol so wondered if that is a good thickening agent?

Thanks, Glitter, for recommending the xylitol. I can't tell the difference. Tastes just like sugar to me! I used to buy the giant size box of Splenda at Sams but since trying xylitol I've just about used that exclusively. anymore suggestions?
zantham will work great! Forgot about that, it needs to be a slurry though much like cornstarch or it gets funky.

That is all I got besides chia seeds gel so they can make pudding and jams.

Also love mixing peanut butter with fudgesicles.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
zantham will work great! Forgot about that, it needs to be a slurry though much like cornstarch or it gets funky.

That is all I got besides chia seeds gel so they can make pudding and jams.

Also love mixing peanut butter with fudgesicles.
I'm going to have to buy some zantham gum when I go to the pharmacy. I prefer the mouth feel to a thicker sauce.

Funky in what way? Clumping, maybe?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm going to have to buy some zantham gum when I go to the pharmacy. I prefer the mouth feel to a thicker sauce.

Funky in what way? Clumping, maybe?
It will stay in a clump the way you dumped it in, it is just impossible to get it to disperse into the dish.

I tried the Pork Medallions with Chunky Applesauce from the outh Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook. So incredibly good and very simple (apples, onion, balsamic vinegar, water, salt, pepper rosemary and pork!).. I got dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

If I have a chance to use it I'll try to remember to make a slurry with it. Your meal looks great. Are those big pieces on top of the pork apples? I've never heard of chunky applesauce.

DH cooked hamburger patties with cauliflower/broccoli mix for lunch and tonight he fixed fish and fresh green beans.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #134
Berta48

Well girls I'm home.I was not good on my eating plan either.I was at meal times but it was that snacking enemy that got me.But I am getting it back off. I am not weighing in until Monday. So I will see then where I am at
We didn't make it to Whole Foods just tomnay other things to do and go and not enough time to do it all.

I bought a new top at Catherine's and got it home and notcied they didn't take the theft safety thing off So I am taking it around to different stores here to see if they can get it off.SO aggravating

Quote:
I buy Uncle Bens whole grain brown rice in the boil in the bag. It is really good too. We also like Basmati.That's my favorite.I didn't realize it until I read in the SB diet cookbook that Basmatti isn't rice it's a seed! So now I can eat it too!!!!
Quote:

I use Thick It Up. You don't need much it thickens more as it cools.Purchased it form Netriton.They don't have think not thin any longer and I really like that stuff too.
The manufacturer went out of business. I use it in my smoothies and soups.

Last edited by Berta48; 09-04-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If I have a chance to use it I'll try to remember to make a slurry with it. Your meal looks great. Are those big pieces on top of the pork apples? I've never heard of chunky applesauce.

DH cooked hamburger patties with cauliflower/broccoli mix for lunch and tonight he fixed fish and fresh green beans.
I haven't heard of chunky applesauce and reading through the recipe, it's not an applesauce. I thought about mashing them up a bit but this turned out just fine.

Quote:
Well girls I'm home.I was not good on my eating plan either.I was at meal times but it was that snacking enemy that got me.But I am getting it back off. I am not weighing in until Monday. So I will see then where I am at
We didn't make it to Whole Foods just tomnay other things to do and go and not enough time to do it all.

I bought a new top at Catherine's and got it home and notcied they didn't take the theft safety thing off So I am taking it around to different stores here to see if they can get it off.SO aggravating

I buy Uncle Bens whole grain brown rice in the boil in the bag. It is really good too. We also like Basmati.That's my favorite.I didn't realize it until I read in the SB diet cookbook that Basmatti isn't rice it's a seed! So now I can eat it too!!!!

I use Thick It Up. You don't need much it thickens more as it cools.Purchased it form Netriton.They don't have think not thin any longer and I really like that stuff too.
The manufacturer went out of business. I use it in my smoothies and soups.
Welcome back! Bummer about the shirt! I hope you find someone helpful. Otherwise see if the store will cover shipping it to them and back to you, it's their mistake.

Someone needs to read through the allowed foods, basmati was always allowed in Phase 2.

Thanks for the recommendation.. I use chia seeds to thicken up smoothies but that doesn't work for everything
Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #136
Berta48

Quote:
I haven't heard of chunky applesauce and reading through the recipe, it's not an applesauce. I thought about mashing them up a bit but this turned out just fine.

Welcome back! Bummer about the shirt! I hope you find someone helpful. Otherwise see if the store will cover shipping it to them and back to you, it's their mistake.

Someone needs to read through the allowed foods, basmati was always allowed in Phase 2.

Thanks for the recommendation.. I use chia seeds to thicken up smoothies but that doesn't work for everything
WHHHHAAAAT???? I love Basmati. Guess I do need to re-read the book It doesn't come in brown does it??
Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
WHHHHAAAAT???? I love Basmati. Guess I do need to re-read the book It doesn't come in brown does it??
I have found brown basmati before bob's red mill may carry it and a lot of stores carry their range of products
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #138
Berta48

Quote:
I have found brown basmati before bob's red mill may carry it and a lot of stores carry their range of products
Would we have to eat the brown Basmati? I like the white best.I just checked Netriton and didn't find anything under Basmati except oil and flour etc.

Last edited by Berta48; 09-05-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Would we have to eat the brown Basmati? I like the white best.I just checked Netriton and didn't find anything under Basmati except oil and flour etc.
yes, it is 'whole' and has all the fiber.. you need to read the food lists on this site
Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Tonight I made a cake from a recipe in George Stella's cookbook made from almond flour. It only had 5 gms carbs per serving (serves 12) and 1 gm per serving for chocolate frosting. It calls for Splenda but I used half xylitol.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #141
Berta48

Quote:
Tonight I made a cake from a recipe in George Stella's cookbook made from almond flour. It only had 5 gms carbs per serving (serves 12) and 1 gm per serving for chocolate frosting. It calls for Splenda but I used half xylitol.
Sounds Yummy! Want to post it? I hadn't heard of him before but I looked him up and I think I will order some of his cookbooks!THANKS!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #142
Berta48

Quote:
Quote:
yes, it is 'whole' and has all the fiber.. you need to read the food lists on this site
Ph1 or 2 food list???
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #143
Berta48

Quote:
ONLY~ $6.99!!!
You Get 4 Complete George Stella Low Carb Cookbook downloads! (*OFFER ENDS Sept 8, 2013)

I just paid for this!!! Can hardly wait to get the downloads.
You Get George Stella’s -hard to find-NEWEST cookbook: “Still Livin’ Low Carb” and then:
Real Food Real Easy, The Good Carb Family Cookbook and Eating Stella Style! That’s FOUR complete cookbooks!

To help support our newly redesigned website, (I deleted the web address didn't want to get in trouble) For a LIMITED TIME ONLY Anyone, who donates $6.99 (donation button via paypal at the top of the page)will receive the download links to complete PDF versions of our FOUR cookbooks listed above (Reg. Cover price: $24.95 EACH!)

(*This is a LIMITED SPECIAL Offer and may be ended at any time)
It says until 9/8/13 so that is tomorrow I got it just in time!

Last edited by Berta48; 09-07-2013 at 09:56 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
ONLY~ $6.99!!!
You Get 4 Complete George Stella Low Carb Cookbook downloads! (*OFFER ENDS Sept 8, 2013)

You Get George Stella’s -hard to find-NEWEST cookbook: “Still
Real Food Real Easy, The Good Carb Family Cookbook and Eating Stella Style! That’s FOUR complete cookbooks!

To help support our newly redesigned website, (I deleted the web address didn't want to get in trouble) For a LIMITED TIME ONLY Anyone, who donates $6.99 (donation button via paypal at the top of the page)will receive the download links to complete PDF versions of our FOUR cookbooks listed above (Reg. Cover price: $24.95 EACH!)

I saw that it was offered online but I had already bought two of his books at bookstores. I have the Livin’ Low Carb” (not the still living low carb one), and Real Food Real Easy. The second book has super simple recipes like a 5 ingredients or less type of cookbook. He lists the net carbs for each recipe but most recipes are things that we are allowed to have anyway. Actually all the recipes are easy in both books. I've only tried 4 and liked each one. I especially like the Chicken Paprikash. He prepares it a little differently than I used to before going low carb. He calls it Paprika Verdeen or something like that. Just substitute low fat ingredients for any full fat ones you may run across. The newest Still Living Low Carb probably already has the lower fat versions since he changed from high fat to low fat! Online is a good deal because I paid 18.99 (cover price) at Books A Million for one and 24.95 at Barnes and Nobles for the other.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
ONLY~ $6.99!!!

You Get George Stella’s -hard to find-NEWEST cookbook: “Still Livin’ Low Carb” and then:

I found it via google and the offer was updated to be good through the 15th. how soon did you get the links?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Anyone have a REALLY good hummus recipe? We went out with our kids and grandkids for a birthday celebration because some couldn't make it on a weeknight. The restaurant we went to had Mediterranean Shrimp Lettuce Wraps that were sooo delicious! It had kalamata olives, green olives, feta cheese mixed in plus I don't what else but it was fantastic. If anyone has a recipe using these ingredients I'd love if you could share it! TIA
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Anyone have a REALLY good hummus recipe? We went out with our kids and grandkids for a birthday celebration because some couldn't make it on a weeknight. The restaurant we went to had Mediterranean Shrimp Lettuce Wraps that were sooo delicious! It had kalamata olives, green olives, feta cheese mixed in plus I don't what else but it was fantastic. If anyone has a recipe using these ingredients I'd love if you could share it! TIA
I usually buy those combos at Wegman's (usually you have to mix) but I'm working on one with kalamata olive version.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I usually buy those combos at Wegman's (usually you have to mix) but I'm working on one with kalamata olive version.
We don't have a store by that name but I did buy a box that you mix but haven't tried it. I think I would like to make one fresh. I've been so hungry today. The last few days I didn't have an appetite and its catching up with me. I have been eating SB friendly but haven't eaten snacks or right amounts of allowed foods. I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things soon. Tonight I ate a slice of Whole Wheat bread and a slice of cheese. Did have an on plan lunch today! I've gained 2 lbs and am back to 147 again.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #149
Berta48

Quote:
I found it via google and the offer was updated to be good through the 15th. how soon did you get the links?
Got them today I have been looking at them all evening.I printed a few recipes out as I am not very PC savvy and don't know where they are downloaded at LOL. I can probably find them again just haven't time to search tonight!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We don't have a store by that name but I did buy a box that you mix but haven't tried it. I think I would like to make one fresh. I've been so hungry today. The last few days I didn't have an appetite and its catching up with me. I have been eating SB friendly but haven't eaten snacks or right amounts of allowed foods. I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things soon. Tonight I ate a slice of Whole Wheat bread and a slice of cheese. Did have an on plan lunch today! I've gained 2 lbs and am back to 147 again.
Making your own is so very easy! Just a food processor or blender makes quick work of it. I also don't bother with the tahini, it's expensive and doesn't make enough of a flavor change that I miss it. 2 cans of chick peas (1 drained, 1 with all the liquid), 1 lemon juiced (grate the lemon peel if you like extra lemon), 1/2 garlic clove (roasted garlic is even better) salt and pepper. You can add some olives (I'd start with 6 pitted ones) and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.