Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Just wanting to introduce myself

Hi all- just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie. I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose. I'm tall but my weight is collecting in my midsection. Hope this diet helps with that! I love sweets, breads and pasta! That's my downfall! I have the 2003 copy of South Beach Diet that I'm trying to familiarize myself with. I just got back from grocery shopping so I'd like to start tomorrow morning. Hope to chat with y'all along the way!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,446
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Hi all- just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie. I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose. I'm tall but my weight is collecting in my midsection. Hope this diet helps with that! I love sweets, breads and pasta! That's my downfall! I have the 2003 copy of South Beach Diet that I'm trying to familiarize myself with. I just got back from grocery shopping so I'd like to start tomorrow morning. Hope to chat with y'all along the way!
to the Beach!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Newbie

Thanks, Rose! I started this morning and have only eaten what's on the list but may be limiting myself more than I should because I feel hungry even after eating a 4 oz hamburger patty and about 6 oz glass of V8 juice. My daughter started yesterday and has dropped 2.5 lbs. Do you or anyone else know what to do about vitamins and calcium? I take different vitamins..centrum multi, vit D, vit B Complex, Energy B, and Citracal calcium. All are in gummy form except centrum and Citracal.. Will these slow down potential weight loss?
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,446
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Thanks, Rose! I started this morning and have only eaten what's on the list but may be limiting myself more than I should because I feel hungry even after eating a 4 oz hamburger patty and about 6 oz glass of V8 juice. My daughter started yesterday and has dropped 2.5 lbs. Do you or anyone else know what to do about vitamins and calcium? I take different vitamins..centrum multi, vit D, vit B Complex, Energy B, and Citracal calcium. All are in gummy form except centrum and Citracal.. Will these slow down potential weight loss?
Vitamins are usually fine to take, but watch those gummies; they are full of sugar. I don't recommend gummies.

SO, you shouldn't be epecially hungry. Be sure to eat enough and to have your "snacks" which should be mini-meals-- protein and veggies. Is that ALL you have had to eat today?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Vitamins are usually fine to take, but watch those gummies; they are full of sugar. I don't recommend gummies.

SO, you shouldn't be epecially hungry. Be sure to eat enough and to have your "snacks" which should be mini-meals-- protein and veggies. Is that ALL you have had to eat today?

I'll not take my gummies while on SBD (hate swallowing pills) but did take my calcium. No, I've eaten lots more since my 4 oz hamburger patty and cup of cabbage. For dinner I ate a boiled egg, lettuce with low fat ham, low fat rotiserrie chicken slices (2 oz total meat), 1/4 cup shredded cheese. 2 kalamata olives, and 1/2 tb olive oil/vinegar dressing. For snacks today I had a stalk of celery with a wedge of laughing cow cheese, and a string cheese. Then tonight my stomach was still growling so I ate a 40 calorie fudgsicle. I'm about ready for bed so I can try to forget how hungry I am. I checked calorie count and I had 1200 calories so I shouldn't be hungry!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,446
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
OK, for a few days could you post your food intake for the day? What you eat for each meal and each snack. 1200 calories really isn't much food, unless you are really tiny. Sometimes a little tweak can make all the difference. We're here to help.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Thanks Rose!
Today's Breakfast- egg beaters with a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Snack-4 cashews and one String cheese. Lunch- salad with 2 kalamata olives, 2 slices rotisserie deli slices, 1 Tb dressing (under 3 g), 1/4 cup FF mozzarella. Evening snack- string cheese (50 cal) and 6 cashews. Dinner- 6 oz steak, 1/2 cup butter beans.

The steak and butter beans finally took the edge off my hunger. I finally felt like food was actually entering my stomach. I'm trying to stay eating as SBD clean as I can but nothing satisfies. Usually a slice of plain bread or toast will hold me for hours. I also got a little lightheaded while at the mall so I stopped to get a cup of cafe au lait. It didn't occur to me till after that it had whole milk in it. I usually use skim. So I guess I blew it! Tonight I made Phase 1 Ricotta Mocha from SBD book so I'll have that while watching tv. All this is more than I typically eat but I've been so hungry the last 2 days! I've always been slow to lose weight. I need to lose about 15 lbs. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,446
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Thanks Rose!
Today's Breakfast- egg beaters with a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Snack-4 cashews and one String cheese. Lunch- salad with 2 kalamata olives, 2 slices rotisserie deli slices, 1 Tb dressing (under 3 g), 1/4 cup FF mozzarella. Evening snack- string cheese (50 cal) and 6 cashews. Dinner- 6 oz steak, 1/2 cup butter beans.

The steak and butter beans finally took the edge off my hunger. I finally felt like food was actually entering my stomach. I'm trying to stay eating as SBD clean as I can but nothing satisfies. Usually a slice of plain bread or toast will hold me for hours. I also got a little lightheaded while at the mall so I stopped to get a cup of cafe au lait. It didn't occur to me till after that it had whole milk in it. I usually use skim. So I guess I blew it! Tonight I made Phase 1 Ricotta Mocha from SBD book so I'll have that while watching tv. All this is more than I typically eat but I've been so hungry the last 2 days! I've always been slow to lose weight. I need to lose about 15 lbs. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!
You didn't blow it with the milk. Don't worry about it. Just continue on. No wonder you're hungry. Eat some food already! You are WAY short on veggies, you are supposed to have 4-5 cups a day , you should have about 1/2 c. at breakfast and some for each snack, snacks should be a bit of protein and some veggies. 1/2 c. veggies at dinner is not nearly enough. String cheese is great for snacks as are boiled eggs, but add some veggie slices to help get in enough veggies. What was in the salad? Just lettuce or lots of veggies? Actually, not a bad menu with a few refinements.
__________________
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
If you're Knitting, you're not Eating!

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Thanks for your help, Rose! For my salad I had about 2-3 cups romaine lettuce. I thought I was at my veggie quota for that meal. And I thought 1/2 cup butter beans was the limit for total veggies at dinner, although the carbs were so good I could have easily eaten a full cup. I didn't read this till after breakfast and I didn't eat veggies today either. I don't like omelettes and can't think of any other way to incorporate them first thing in the morning. I can see that I'll really have to work on that. I was afraid I was getting too many calories as I totaled close to 1500. On the good note I did lose a pound, husband lost 4, and daughter lost 5. I believe the diet is manageable, especially adding veggies, but I worry about it getting boring because I'm not very creative coming up with different menus each day. I did try the Mocha Ricotta last night but didn't care for the texture of the ricotta. By the way, am I limited to fats at each meal or can butter be added to veggies at each meal? Or is it 2 tb limit? And does the nuts fit within that 2 tb? Sorry for all the question! I do appreciate your help! And I'm glad you have access to a computer so far this summer. See? I've been reading the previous posts. :-)
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
You didn't blow it with the milk. Don't worry about it. Just continue on. No wonder you're hungry. Eat some food already! You are WAY short on veggies, you are supposed to have 4-5 cups a day , you should have about 1/2 c. at breakfast and some for each snack, snacks should be a bit of protein and some veggies. 1/2 c. veggies at dinner is not nearly enough. String cheese is great for snacks as are boiled eggs, but add some veggie slices to help get in enough veggies. What was in the salad? Just lettuce or lots of veggies? Actually, not a bad menu with a few refinements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
OK, for a few days could you post your food intake for the day? What you eat for each meal and each snack. 1200 calories really isn't much food, unless you are really tiny. Sometimes a little tweak can make all the difference. We're here to help.

Breakfast-egg beaters with wedge of laughing cow cheese. Snack-1 string cheese. Lunch-3 cups of lettuce, 1/4 cup cucumber, 2 black olives, FF mozzarella cheese, 6 oz pork chop, 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, 1/2 tbs olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Afternoon snack-string cheese. Dinner-about 4 oz sirloin tips, a slice of onion sauted in butter, small side salad of romaine with 2 Tb Parmesan cheese. I think I am eating too much cheese now that I see it typed out. But I think I'm getting better in the veggie dept. Is this about where I should be? Too much, too little?
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Update- didn't stray from diet, as far as I can see, but I put on that pound I lost. I don't know if Texas Roadhouse adds things to their sirloin tips or green beans but I feel that the gain came from there. No bread, no peanuts, and out of my 6 oz steak I only ate 3 small pieces because it was swimming in onions. I specified several times that we're doing low carb and I didn't want gravy and that's how it came to the table. Waitress took it back and it came back quickly but I'm wondering if it's possible they just washed off the gravy, heated it up in onions and butter and sent back to the table. Or does weight gain from SBD come back that quickly? I thought I was completely on target for the day! :-(
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,446
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Breakfast-egg beaters with wedge of laughing cow cheese. Snack-1 string cheese. Lunch-3 cups of lettuce, 1/4 cup cucumber, 2 black olives, FF mozzarella cheese, 6 oz pork chop, 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, 1/2 tbs olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Afternoon snack-string cheese. Dinner-about 4 oz sirloin tips, a slice of onion sauted in butter, small side salad of romaine with 2 Tb Parmesan cheese. I think I am eating too much cheese now that I see it typed out. But I think I'm getting better in the veggie dept. Is this about where I should be? Too much, too little?
Rats, I just typed out half a book and lost it. I'll try again later. Short answer, not enough.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,446
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Update- didn't stray from diet, as far as I can see, but I put on that pound I lost. I don't know if Texas Roadhouse adds things to their sirloin tips or green beans but I feel that the gain came from there. No bread, no peanuts, and out of my 6 oz steak I only ate 3 small pieces because it was swimming in onions. I specified several times that we're doing low carb and I didn't want gravy and that's how it came to the table. Waitress took it back and it came back quickly but I'm wondering if it's possible they just washed off the gravy, heated it up in onions and butter and sent back to the table. Or does weight gain from SBD come back that quickly? I thought I was completely on target for the day! :-(
Are you weighing every day? STOP! You'll drive yourself crazy. A pound is a large glass of water. You can vary by a pound because of atmospheric pressure. Because your big toe isn't in exactly the same spot on the scale. Because Mercury is in retrograde. A pound is nothing. Carry on.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 249
Gallery: Gmomof7
Tomorrow starts Day 1 of Phase 2. Husband and I stuck to this diet by the book! I only lost 2 lbs, he lost 4. Wonder why some people can lose 9 lbs in a week and I am barely losing even though the author says weight loss is quicker during Phase 1? If I'm losing this slowly i can imagine I will be plateauing from here on out. I am getting between 1300 and 1500 calories a day, eat 3 meals (including breakfast), and 2 snacks (although I don't always have veggies for my snacks. And if this was mainly water loss then I am really discouraged!
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsŪ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.