Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paulainks
Stats: 215/173.5/129
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericrop View Post
They were ok...not to die for.
Thanks for doing all the hard work for us!

I had roasted acorn squash tonight, AMAZING! first time ever. I have a new fave.

Now, I did have a small issue at dinner, I made macaroni and cheese "for my son". I put the for my son in quotes, because he didn't ask for it. Reality is I made it for me. I ended up stealing about 8 bites between prep and clean up.

I think next time I'll make a deal with myself. One portioned serving on the condition I don't nibble on it before supper. Really I don't think I would've even had that much, if I didn't see it as a guilty pleasure. I mean it was good but its still just mac and cheese.
paulainks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulainks View Post

I had roasted acorn squash tonight, AMAZING! first time ever. I have a new fave.

Now, I did have a small issue at dinner, I made macaroni and cheese "for my son". I put the for my son in quotes, because he didn't ask for it. Reality is I made it for me. I ended up stealing about 8 bites between prep and clean up.

I think next time I'll make a deal with myself. One portioned serving on the condition I don't nibble on it before supper. Really I don't think I would've even had that much, if I didn't see it as a guilty pleasure. I mean it was good but its still just mac and cheese.
Next time before starting dinner, pop in a piece of Sugar Free gum. Could help....

So glad you tried the acorn squash. I like to slice mine pretty thin so they turn a darker brown, almost crispy. Tomorrow night I am doing asparagus the same way!
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #183
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:

Cauliflower, better than macaroni any day!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #184
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Hello Girls
Well tommorrow is my first day back on the BEACH! I know that I have gained 3-4 lbs but all I can do is go from there!

I have been trying to find what kind of dressing I can have.Buttermilk Ranch only has 3gms of sugar is that ok? And Hellmans mayo with Olive Oil has 3gms so is it ok? The Miracle Whip has only2gms but I like the taste of Hellmans much better.They both have Olive oil.

Then Rose said turnips are ok.But are they ok for PH1?

I am looking forward to deviled eggs & egg custard

Well, I will check in tomorrow sometime with the news of my first weigh in!!

My plans for breakfast are scrambled eggs with RF cheese and turkey bacon with V8 juice

Last edited by Berta48; 07-14-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #185
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Monday!

I roast asparagus all the time - it's my favorite way to cook it!
I did enjoy a cob of corn yesterday - delicious!

I make faux smothered baked potatoes with cauli, Rose....it's SO versatile!

Berta - you can do this......my fave breakfast is a couple scrambled eggs with rf cheese! This weekend, I put fried eggs on sauteed spinach - it was SO good! DH loved it!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #186
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hello all!!

I made a great vegetarian dinner last night...

Eggplant Stuffed with Herbed Ricotta

2 large eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise in ~1/3 inch wide slices. I got about 8 slices from each eggplant

Filling

1 cup fresh herbs: I used about 1/2 cup of basil, 1/4 cup oregano, 1/4 cup parsley - all from my herb garden. Do not use dried herbs. You need fresh!
1 clove garlic, minced
2 TB EVOO
1/2 cup grated parm cheese
1/2 cup shredded skim mozz
1 and 1/2 cups skim ricotta
fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray (I use my own sprayer with EVOO in it) or brush with EVOO. (I put foil on mine, then cooking spray, for easier clean-up). Lay eggplant slices, not covering each other. Coat with more cooking spray or EVOO. Bake for 20 minutes, switching trays from top to bottom halfway through.

Meanwhile combine all filling ingredients in large bowl, mixing well.

After eggplant has cooled, spoon 2 to 3 TB of filling on each slice and roll up, placing seam on bottom. Bake for 15 minutes (I make ahead, refrigerate, bring to room temp, then bake.)

Serve with your favorite SB friendly marinara sauce. I like the Barefoot Contessa version (Food Network website). It is easy, and of course, has no sugar in it.

Enjoy!!

2014 Running Miles: 255
2014 Walking Miles: 273
2014 Biking Miles: 412
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #187
Berta48

Hello SB Friends
Well I was right I was up this a.m. I am beginning SB restart at 252.2HOWEVER That is much better than last time at 275.8

Wiz that eggplant sound very yummy I am going to the store today to stcok up.I also found four low carb recipe books this past week that I have, that I had forgotten all about! Two of them are South Beach booksOne Dana Carpenter and I don't recall the other one at the moment.

Cindy
YES, I CAN DO THIS! I HAVE TO DO THIS! I WILL DO THIS OR take insulin so it is a matter of my health this time!

Rose
I found the turnips finally! in the book they are a PH2 food as they are a root vegetable!So I am hoping they stay good for the next 2 weeksI purchased 2 bags of them

Jeri
Thanks for all the recipes keep them coming. I am going to try the cream of mushroom soup but it will have to be without the carrots for now.

Here are some of my ideas for this week& next......

I have roast I will bake and slice also a loin pork roast.
I will make some chili. deviled eggs, custard,jello and some of the desserts in the SB book for PH1 and I will bake some Tilapia crusted with parmesan. Satue'ed chicken breast with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes with Olive oil & oregano.

My breakasts will be smoothies from plain FF greek yogurt with sf Torani or Daveinci syrup,RF milk and ice made in my smoothie maker.OR eggs and turkey bacon or sausage or ham and cheese omoletes(don't think I spelled that right)

I have a recipe for a smoothie that I love but it has SF pudding and I can't have that on PH1.

Well I honestly think my biggest problem is going to be getting in snacks. As the only time I usually snack is in the evening watching TV. But I am buying fresh veggies to eat with my Buttermilk dressing as a dip. I am shopping for Natural Peanut butter for celery sticks too.Does anyone know of a good brand of PNT Butter to buy?

Guess I best get out of here before I take up you girls entire day!!!
Have a great one and I will be back to check out the answers after bit! Breakfast time
Tofu noodles with spaghetti sauce and lean ground beef.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #188

Berta, turnips are not a starchy root and they are fine for phase 1. Go ahead and eat them. For example, potatoes: 1 cup boiled and mashed - 29 grams carb, 3 grams fiber; turnips: 1 cup boiled and mashed - 7 grams carb, 5 grams fiber. See the difference?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #189

I prefer Dukes mayo, no sugar in it and it tastes good. I would never use miracle whip. Peanut butter-- I don't like peanut butter, so I'm not sure what brand we buy. I think it's Smuckers. I just grab it off the shelf. You might find Laura Scudders in your area, just look for one with just peanuts and salt.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #190
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I prefer Dukes mayo, no sugar in it and it tastes good. I would never use miracle whip. Peanut butter-- I don't like peanut butter, so I'm not sure what brand we buy. I think it's Smuckers. I just grab it off the shelf. You might find Laura Scudders in your area, just look for one with just peanuts and salt.
No Dukes in this area.We have a fit N active that only has 2gms sugar in it and it is good.The book says to use salad dressing with 3gms of sugar or less and that is what Hellmans has also it has Olive oil.

YOU DON"T LIKE PEANUT BUTTER

I have NEVER seen any peanut butter with only peanuts and salt??? But I will look!Thanks

I saw in the SB book somewhere that turnips were a root vegetable? I will look again.I sure hope I'm wrong

Last edited by Berta48; 07-15-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #191
Berta48

WHOOOO HOOO ROSE you are so RIGHT! Can't remember where I saw that at?? But here is what I found.....
Eating Turnips on the South Beach Diet

In his book, "The South Beach Diet Cookbook," Agatston says that turnips are one of the vegetables that can fulfill your 4 1/2-cup daily vegetable allotment during Phase 1 of the diet program. Because turnips are allowed during the diet's first phase, they're also fine to eat during the plan's other two phases. Before including a large amount of turnips in your daily meals, be aware that they belong to the same cruciferous family of vegetables as cabbage or broccoli and can cause gas or bloating.

I read (somewhere) there was no limit on lean protein.Is that correct?

I had 3eggs scrambled with 2 slices of RF cheese(then sprinkled parmesan cheese on top), 3 turkey bacon, 2slices of a tomato and 6oz of V8 juice for breakfast is that to much?

I fixed six eggs and split them with DH so I am saying 3 eggs.

Here is a recipe I found that I thought sounded really good too!!!

Baby Spinach ’n Bacon Salad

Baby spinach leaves are wilted in a warm bacon vinaigrette dressing. Perfect for any time of year.

Regular fresh spinach may be used in place of baby spinach but will result in a less delicate salad.

INGREDIENTS

1 (7 ounce) bag baby spinach greens*
1/2 cup fat free salad croutons(OMIT for PH1)
Dressing
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
5 slices turkey bacon
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced

DIRECTIONS

Place spinach greens in a large mixing bowl. Remove any undesirable leaves or large stems. Add croutons. Set aside.

Make dressing. Blend together vinegar, water, mustard and SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.

Finely slice bacon into small strips. Place in a medium saucepan and fry over medium-high heat until crispy (approx. 3-4 minutes).

Add onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat 1-2 minutes.

Add vinegar mixture and simmer 1-2 minutes. Pour over spinach and croutons. Toss well. Serve immediately.

Serves: 4
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
NUTRITION FACTS

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories: 80 Calories from Fat: 35 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 620mg Total Carbs: 9g Dietary Fiber: 2g Sugars: 2g Protein: 5g

Last edited by Berta48; 07-15-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #192
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Berta, nice recipe....but that's a lot of Splenda! I would make the dressing without the sweetener, taste it, and decide if you need any Splenda - let alone 3 TB! Add it gradually, if you decide you need it.

FYI. When I first went on SB, like all of us, I had to wean myself off of sweet, sugary things. So of course, I did use artificial sweeteners. But as time has gone on, I realize that most foods provide great flavor on their own.

For example, I made home-made coleslaw last week. No sweet stuff added (or needed.)

Don't get me wrong, I ingest plenty of artificial sweeteners because I drink Diet Coke every morning . But I do try not to add anything extra to my food.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #193

Berta

I don't think that's too much for breakfast to start out with. You need to eat enough to feel satisfied. You might try to cut down to 2 eggs and 2 bacons and 1 slice of cheese after a week or so, but at first, you don't want to be feeling hungry. Just ease into it.

I agree with Wiz, that is a boatload of Splenda in that dressing. Even artificial sweeteners set up an insulin response and in your case, I would try to do with as little sweet tasting food as possible. I wouldn't use more than a teaspoon, just to cut the vinegar a bit.

Smuckers peanut butter, or in your area you might have Laura Scudders. Same company.

Lean protein, unlimited sort of, but that doesn't mean you can eat a whole plate full. I would start with a regular serving, like 4 oz and have another few bites if you really need it.

I think that answers everything.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #194
Berta48

Thanks girls
Well if you think 3tbs is alot I am in for BIG change cause I use at least that much in my 2 cups of coffee every morning!

I found Smuckers natural peanut butter
But it has 210 cal. 16gms of fat & 1gm sugar in 2 TBS.

Ingredients are...
Peanuts,1% or less salt! That's it! Tastes fairly good not as sweet but I can get use to it!(I hope)

I bought some really great lunch meat Hormel all natrual ingredients minimually processed and no msg and no artifical ingredients!Along with some RF cheeses. I am ready for the next 2 weeks! Also bought some fresh herbs.AMONG OTHER HEALTHY ITEMS!!! OVER 200.00 WORTH

Golly gee girls I even have a healthy weight ticker

Last edited by Berta48; 07-15-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Struggling with the Hot, Hot weather of Michigan and wanting an ice cold beer. But I want to lose weight and the beer will only make me gain and feel guilt. Sitting here having a mixed drink (Diet Pink Lemonade and Diet Che rry 7-UP)
Sometimes, you gotta switch it up. Husband out picking up steamed chicken and snowpeas from the take out chinese place. won't have rice with it, but I like it just like that with a little soy and or sesame oil.....Have a wonderful eve all..
Old 07-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #196
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Berta, nice recipe....but that's a lot of Splenda! I would make the dressing without the sweetener, taste it, and decide if you need any Splenda - let alone 3 TB! Add it gradually, if you decide you need it.

FYI. When I first went on SB, like all of us, I had to wean myself off of sweet, sugary things. So of course, I did use artificial sweeteners. But as time has gone on, I realize that most foods provide great flavor on their own.

For example, I made home-made coleslaw last week. No sweet stuff added (or needed.)

Don't get me wrong, I ingest plenty of artificial sweeteners because I drink Diet Coke every morning . But I do try not to add anything extra to my food.
Wiz
That is 4 servings for the salad so I don't think that it to much at all! JMO!

I am so aggravated.I got the book in the mail I have been waiting for, for over a week and the seller sent me the wrong one! They sent the SB Super Charged Diet book instead of the SB Good Carb GOOD Fat book So now I have to mail this one back and wait another week grrrrr
Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #197
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Struggling with the Hot, Hot weather of Michigan and wanting an ice cold beer. But I want to lose weight and the beer will only make me gain and feel guilt. Sitting here having a mixed drink (Diet Pink Lemonade and Diet Che rry 7-UP)
Ooh, that sounds refreshing, its flipping hot here in KS too.

Our cauliflower is like 3 dollars a head. that just seems kind of high to me. Anyone have luck with frozen cauliflower? Probably a head of cauliflower goes further than what it looks like, ut I've been shying away from buying them.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Low Carb Pizza

This may sound funky, but it is fabulous....trust me!

Low Carb Pizza

Crust
Mix together
2 eggs
1 8oz pkg low fat cream cheese
1 Cup of parmesan (stuff that comes out of canister)

Spray a 9 X 13 cake pan/glass dish. Bake for 30 min on 350 degrees

Take out of oven. Put pizza or pasta sauce on top,and add any other toppings, green pepper, onion (may have to saute' them first), meat
Add Mozzarella on top. Now bake at 425 degrees 15 min or until browned.

This is soooooo good. Hard to believe the crust turns out! Even my husband likes this. Wish he didn't!

Enjoy!!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Thanks girls
Well if you think 3tbs is alot I am in for BIG change cause I use at least that much in my 2 cups of coffee every morning!

Ingredients are...
Peanuts,1% or less salt! That's it! Tastes fairly good not as sweet but I can get use to it!(I hope)

I bought some really great lunch meat Hormel all natrual ingredients minimually processed and no msg and no artifical ingredients!Along with some RF cheeses. I am ready for the next 2 weeks! Also bought some fresh herbs.AMONG OTHER HEALTHY ITEMS!!! OVER 200.00 WORTH

Double post

Last edited by rose1; 07-15-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #200

Quote:
Thanks girls

Ingredients are...

Berta, I love your healthy weight ticker!

Yep, that's how many calories peanut butter has, which is why you can't eat a lot of it. (Peanut butter isn't supposed to be sweet. )

Yes, you have to cut WAY back on the splenda. Do it gradually or cold turkey, whichever, but it has to be cut way back for your health.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #201

Quote:
Wiz
That is 4 servings for the salad so I don't think that it to much at all! JMO!

I am so aggravated.I got the book in the mail I have been waiting for, for over a week and the seller sent me the wrong one! They sent the SB Super Charged Diet book instead of the SB Good Carb GOOD Fat book So now I have to mail this one back and wait another week grrrrr
Yes, that is too much Splenda even for 4 servings. Sorry about the book, that is so aggravating.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #202

Quote:
Ooh, that sounds refreshing, its flipping hot here in KS too.

Our cauliflower is like 3 dollars a head. that just seems kind of high to me. Anyone have luck with frozen cauliflower? Probably a head of cauliflower goes further than what it looks like, ut I've been shying away from buying them.
That's high for cauliflower. I don't know why it's so expensive. Use frozen, if you steam it, it gets less waterlogged. The secret is to drain it really well, even pressing the extra water out, then proceed. Try faux potato salad.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Just checking in and saying hi
Surgery next monday, and then really focusing and getting back on track during my recovery and out of work for a month
Hope all you beachers are doing well!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Just checking in and saying hi
Surgery next monday, and then really focusing and getting back on track during my recovery and out of work for a month
Hope all you beachers are doing well!
Howdy.

Hope it's nothing too serious and you have a speedy recovery.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #205
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
That's high for cauliflower. I don't know why it's so expensive. Use frozen, if you steam it, it gets less waterlogged. The secret is to drain it really well, even pressing the extra water out, then proceed. Try faux potato salad.
Glad i'm not the only one that thinks $3 is high, I don't mind paying for good fresh produce but....

I'll give the frozen a try and see how it works, I can pick those up 10/10.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #206
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
This may sound funky, but it is fabulous....trust me!

... Hard to believe the crust turns out! Even my husband likes this. Wish he didn't!

Enjoy!!
Adding cream cheese to my list, I'm game.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #207
Berta48

I did not get three meals or two snacks in today. I can't seem to figure out how to do that.I am always up late and sleep until 9-10 a.m.

I eat breakfast at 11:00 sometimes later. Then lunch is usually around 2:00 and supper at 6-6:30.
So I guess I can do this
Brk at 11, lunch at 2 snack at 4 supper at 6-6:30 snack at 8p.m.

Today I ate
3 eggs 3chesse v8

2 celery sticks with 1tbs peanut butter

supper
6 oz lean beef burger with laughing cow cheese stuffed inside and mustard on top
cucumber slices and celery

I am not one little bit hungry either. I will try doing better tomorrow since I don't have grocery shopping to do and I will be home all day so I can plan better.

Quote:
Double post
SORRY

Last edited by Berta48; 07-15-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #208

Quote:
SORRY
I did the double post, not you.

As long as your blood sugar doesn't drop and you aren't feeling hungry, don't worry about forcing snacks. Not enough veggies, cut back on the meat at supper and add some vegetables.

Last edited by rose1; 07-15-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #209
Berta48

Quote:
Double post

Quote:

How did the rest of your day go?

I posted it above must have been at the same time you were posting!!

Last edited by Berta48; 07-15-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #210
Berta48

Quote:

As long as your blood sugar doesn't drop and you aren't feeling hungry, don't worry about forcing snacks.
That was how I felt tonight at supper I wasn't hungry so honestly I just ate the hamburger and put the celery and cucumbers back in the fridge. I can't see eating if I am not hungry.

I was looking through the SB cookbook tonight and there was a recipe said PH1but had apple in it. I thought they sure goofed on that one