Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 05/18/2013
I know how you feel. Just a few days of fast and loose, and I'm almost back to where I began. I am so disgusted with myself. 5 weeks and I only lost about 7 pounds, and 3 of them back on! I could kick myself! Oh well, back to the drawing board.
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
I know how you feel. Just a few days of fast and loose, and I'm almost back to where I began. I am so disgusted with myself. 5 weeks and I only lost about 7 pounds, and 3 of them back on! I could kick myself! Oh well, back to the drawing board.
7 pounds in 5 weeks is great!
I have been on Atkins (induction mostly -only 20-30 carbs/day) for like 4 months and only lost a total of 10 pounds. Then, to gain 5 back after only 2 days of messing up is soooo discouraging and frustrating! I even exercised with my daughter-in-law on 2 of those days! If that's what happens after low carbs, I am always going to be disappointed and frustrated! That is no bueno!
So, today I start phase I of South Beach, and stay in it only for 2weeks, then I will progress to phase 2, even if I start thing "phase one is working so well, I should just stay on it...." I know how my brain works and how I can sabotage myself , but I NEED this to work and be a complete lifestyle change BEFORE I have a heart attack, stroke or get diabetes!
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
home, Wiz. What a great picture. 3 beautiful people!

Garden season here. One of my library patrons brought me some yellow squash and zucchini and two big onions from her garden. As soon as I got home last night, I cut it all into big chunks and threw it into a pan with olive oil, sea salt ,and pepper,and lots of elephant garlic cloves (I have garlic growing all over the place )and roasted it until barely tender. Then sprinkled it with balsamic vinegar. It made enough to eat on for three days. You know how I hate to cook. New potatoes are promised for today.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
home, Wiz. What a great picture. 3 beautiful people!

Garden season here. One of my library patrons brought me some yellow squash and zucchini and two big onions from her garden. As soon as I got home last night, I cut it all into big chunks and threw it into a pan with olive oil, sea salt ,and pepper,and lots of elephant garlic cloves (I have garlic growing all over the place )and roasted it until barely tender. Then sprinkled it with balsamic vinegar. It made enough to eat on for three days. You know how I hate to cook. New potatoes are promised for today.
Our garden is getting ready to giveus the most beautiful yellow crookneck squash!!! Yummy
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paulainks
Stats: 215/173.5/129
Start Date: June 11, 2013
Fell off the wagon to

i did 10 days of Phase I with very few "slips". Just a nibble here or there, Saturday was my Birthday and between birthday dinners and cake, I had so many carbs and sweets, I was sick by the end of the day.

I haven't weighed myself, I'm hoping by the time I get back on the scale i don't get sticker shock on my binge day. I'm kind of wondering how it works, you know you lose the weight but then if you go back to carbs, does it all come back on

I'm going to hold off on the scale for as long as I can....
paulainks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
Happy Wednesday

Hoping you all are having a fabulous Wednesday. Yesterday was a struggle. Somedays I wish I had a personal chef. Somedays are harder than others to try to figure out what to eat every day. I do prepare some things ahead of time, but this is hard work. Still sticking to SB, but wishing I could have time go by faster and get to my goal quicker. Feeling a bit lazy today. Need to get moving....Enjoy your day all!
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #67
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulainks View Post
i did 10 days of Phase I with very few "slips". Just a nibble here or there, Saturday was my Birthday and between birthday dinners and cake, I had so many carbs and sweets, I was sick by the end of the day.

I haven't weighed myself, I'm hoping by the time I get back on the scale i don't get sticker shock on my binge day. I'm kind of wondering how it works, you know you lose the weight but then if you go back to carbs, does it all come back on

I'm going to hold off on the scale for as long as I can....
Don't beat yourself up! Stuff happens. The key thing is that if you do go off plan for whatever reason - you get right back on at the next meal.

And yes, skipping a day of weighing in is not always a bad thing! Whenever I go a bit overboard, I always see water weight gain. Give yourself a day of clean eating, then weigh in to see what the real damage is!

Jeri, eating healthy can be a challenge. But the key is to get into a routine, especially during busy times in your life. As Rose said, make a huge batch of veggies that you can have for a few days. I poach a package of chicken breasts every week to have for lunches for my husband and me. I shred the meat as soon as it is cooked and it is ready to be put into a salad or sandwich as needed (and is far less expensive and healthy than lunchmeat...) Those are the kind of time-saving tricks that make sticking to SBD much easier.

Nothing new here. Just a busy work week leading up to my birthday weekend and a stay-cation!! FYI. We live at the beach and I am taking next week off to enjoy the beautiful place we live in.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

2014 Running Miles: 285
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
Start Date: February 13 2013
Hi all! Guy, I know you feel about a few days if slips and the scale shooing up. But remember - a lot of it is water!! I took a French macaron baking course on Saturday and had my first hamburger bun in months that night. I puffed up from 194 to 196, but am back to 194 a few days later. You haven't ruined all of your progress!
I tried a great new marinade recipe this week I thought I'd share. I did pork tenderloin, but it would also be great on chicken. Then yesterday I was at a play date with my son as had an amazing crust-less smoked salmon quiche. Recipes can be found here:
Quiche Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bake Recipe - Smoked Salmon Quiche Frittata Recipe
Marinade Kalyn's Kitchen®: Recipe for Savory Marinade for Grilled Chicken, Pork, or Beef (Low Carb, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free)

Ps, I hope it's ok I posted links. I just offended the LCF Gods with a comment I made last week and I promise I'm not trying to be a troublemaker!!

Starting Weight: 240
Goal #1: 213 - met 3/26
Goal #2: 200 - met 5/4
Half way there - rejoined onederland 6/3!
Goal #3: 190 - met 7/2
Goal #4: 180
Goal #5: 170
Goal #6: 160
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Penny here - OK - This is day one of recovery mode. I have totally shot my diet, and the scale is not my friend. Only a few days of fast and loose, and I am right back where I started. My breakfast was eggs and Canadian bacon. Lunch will be a salad with lettuce and spinach and tuna. I have no excuse; it is totally my fault. I lost my focus, and didn't really think I was doing that much damage. GUESS WHAT PENNY?? YOU CAN'T DO THAT and still lose weight! I have to put myself back on phase 1 to recoup. Not happy with myself right now...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Penny here - OK - This is day one of recovery mode. I have totally shot my diet, and the scale is not my friend. Only a few days of fast and loose, and I am right back where I started. My breakfast was eggs and Canadian bacon. Lunch will be a salad with lettuce and spinach and tuna. I have no excuse; it is totally my fault. I lost my focus, and didn't really think I was doing that much damage. GUESS WHAT PENNY?? YOU CAN'T DO THAT and still lose weight! I have to put myself back on phase 1 to recoup. Not happy with myself right now...
Just start over and FOCUS. Lesson learned.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

You're right, Rose, play-time is over. Time to focus on the prize: being healthier and feeling better. It's not even so much how I look, hubby is constantly telling me he doesn't care if I'm overweight. But I care!! It's about how I feel, which is not very wonderful right now. Lots of health issues that will be so much better without all this FAT! OK, rant is over. Time to buckle down. Gonna go plan menus right now...
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #72
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Penny - you can do this!! Hang in there. It is SO worth it when you reach your goal weight.

FYI. I keep my absolute biggest, most embarassing pair of pants from before I lost my weight. Every once in a while when I go off plan for longer than a week of vacation - which is usually my max, I get those babies out. Let me tell you - I will NEVER, EVER wear that size again. Just looking at them scares me.

Those are the kind of things that motivate you to lose the weight and keep it off!!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaMaFox
WOE: SB
Start Date: June 17th 2013
I need help! I have been doing SB for 10 days. I have had NO sugar, NO pasta bread crackers, none of that stuff. I feel thinner through my mid section but my scale is only down 3 lbs. Is this normal? I'm feeling discouraged. Any and all comments welcome. Thankyou!
MaMaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaFox View Post
I need help! I have been doing SB for 10 days. I have had NO sugar, NO pasta bread crackers, none of that stuff. I feel thinner through my mid section but my scale is only down 3 lbs. Is this normal? I'm feeling discouraged. Any and all comments welcome. Thankyou!
I guess I would question are you eating enough or maybe too much of the good stuff? Maybe preportioning your food. Portioning out nuts is hard for me. Snacks are mandatory. That is a tough one for me. Drinking enough water? Lots of vegis?
The scale is not the only thing that shows you are losing weight. If you feel thinner in your mid section, then you probably are.

You will lose. Just keep going. It is a full time job but worth it! Keep writing on this site and get support. I love being able to read about other's ideas and get feedback on questions I have.

Don't be discouraged...it's 3lbs!!! That is better than putting on 3lbs.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Just made a snack for myself and it is really yummy! Want to share...
Chocolate Milk Shake
1 C skim milk
2 pkts Splenda or sugar sub.
1 1/2 tsp baking cocoa
1/2 tsp vanilla
3-5 ice cubes

Put in blender and blend till done. Wonderful!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #76

Quote:
What exactly are you eating? Can you post about three days of menus--exactly what goes in your mouth. What are you drinking, exactly. Are you following the food lists and the menu outlines?

So you feel thinner, that's good right?-- do your clothes fit any differently? Do you feel better? The scale plays mind games. The most you should do is weigh once a week, log it and go on about your business. Look for the downward trend; it doesn't matter what the scale reads from day to day.

Don't be discouraged. Just make sure you're following the plan correctly and I believe you'll see results.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

I basically eat the same thing every day

Coffee w/2 tsps SF creamer
Omelette-2 whole eggs 2 egg whites some vegs and 1/2 oz cheese
3 slices turkey bacon

Pumpkin seeds 1oz

Hummus 2 tbsp w/ mushrooms celery & peppers
3 slices Turkey wrapped in lettuce

salad w/either carb or chicken
2 tbsp low carb/sugar dressing

2oz cheese
Old 06-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Lol that was crab, not carb......

And I drink water all day after my coffee. At least a half gallon, if not more.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #79
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hmmm...my first thought was "How much do you want/need to lose?" If you are not that far above your goal weight (say 20 lbs or less), the weight will come off slower than someone that wants to lose much more than that.

In any case, in looking at the menu you posted, I don't see any glaring issues. Although I find that my body responds more quickly when I shake things up a bit. Maybe incorporate some different veggies or protein types? Also, cheese can be a barrier to weight loss. You may want to eliminate 1 of your cheese servings. Finally, that sounds like a lot of eggs in the morning! Maybe try just the 2 whole eggs and see if that satisfies you. Nothing you are doing is off plan, but you may want to tweak things a bit.

By the way, 3 lbs off is SO much better than 3 lbs on Good work!!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your reply Wiz. 1st I am down 2 more lbs today so Happy Happy! I want to lose 27 more. The cheese well let's just say I was attempting to "slow things down". I was getting cramps and then running to the bathroom and that was not pleasant. I should also explain that I work 4-12 everyday. The eggs and bacon or turkey wraps are usually 11 am ish and I won't eat again til 4ish after I'm at work. So my schedule is a little wacky. I have been counting carbs and it seems that I do better with less. I'm just not a big meat eater so variation is something I'm working on.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Down 10 today!

I feel fabulous!! Ten is usually the # I need to get past. This is when I feel overconfident and blow it. Hoping to start exercising this week so it will continue to come off. The first two weeks I concentrated on food only. When I get to my first 10% off it will feel real to me.

Big challenges ahead being the Fourth of July week. Camping with grandgirls. It is a lot of work planning this "healthy eating" ahead of time.

Sunday will be my first day on Phase ll. I was very nervous until I read that you really should add carbs slowly. Planning on adding an apple a day to begin. Everytime I would get to this Phase I would start gaining and got discouraged and gave up, thinking I was doing SB right. I was adding carbs and not paying close attention to portion sizes or how many carbs I added.

Going to a pool party today and bringing along my Crystal Light and Diet Cherry 7 Up. My own version of a mixed drink!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Congratulations Jericrop!!! I will be so happy when I hit 10 off! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #83
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eating this weekend has been okay with the exception of dessert yesterday...because it was my birthday!! So my husband and I split a creme brulee that was to die for. Yes, it was worth every calorie!!

Back to basics today however! Made one of my favorite SB friendly salads to have as a side for dinner tonight: Chopped Broccoli, minced red onion, RF mexi cheese blend, a little bit of cooked bacon (I use center cut, same calories as turkey bacon and FAR better flavor.) The dressing is RF mayo, red wine vinegar and fresh ground pepper. You can add a little splenda, if desired. If you want a veggie version, sub mushrooms for the bacon.

I used the remaining broccoli to make a breakfast "quiche" along with halved grape tomatoes, chopped sundried tomatoes, RF cheese on the bottom as a crust with some fresh thyme from the garden.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Happy Birthday Wiz!! So glad to hear you celebrated and enjoyed it Lovely weather down the shore this weekend.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #85
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spod View Post
Happy Birthday Wiz!! So glad to hear you celebrated and enjoyed it Lovely weather down the shore this weekend.
Thank Spod!! Yes, we went to the beach yesterday - it was awesome.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Happy Birthday Wiz!! Glad you had a great day. Sunny Florida is kinda soggy today. 70% chance of rain. We already had a downpour and we'll probably get more. We had pork chops sautéed with olive oil, garlic and white wine for dinner last nite. I cut up a whole bunch of veggies and cooked them in olive oil and wine. Even hubby said it was fit to eat!!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #87
RWV
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RWV
What is going on??!!!

Hi, I'm new to the board and have been reading for about a week or so and y'all are so nice, supportive, and provide such good advice and recipes. I started the SBD and am on day 14 (end of phase one) and not only have I not lost any weight, I have gained 2 pounds. What gives? I only cheated one day and ate 10 extra almonds--that's it! I haven't been able to exercise because I had spinal surgery several months ago so am limited in what I can do physically. I have a strong medical background, know that eating this way is excellent for my heath, but cannot for the lift of me figure out why the pounds didnt "melt away" as the SBD Supercharged book says. Any thoughts on this? I'm quite discouraged but plan to continue and am looking forward to my one healthy grain and 1 serving of fruit starting tomorrow. Thank you all so much!
RWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWV View Post
Hi, I'm new to the board and have been reading for about a week or so and y'all are so nice, supportive, and provide such good advice and recipes. I started the SBD and am on day 14 (end of phase one) and not only have I not lost any weight, I have gained 2 pounds. What gives? I only cheated one day and ate 10 extra almonds--that's it! I haven't been able to exercise because I had spinal surgery several months ago so am limited in what I can do physically. I have a strong medical background, know that eating this way is excellent for my heath, but cannot for the lift of me figure out why the pounds didnt "melt away" as the SBD Supercharged book says. Any thoughts on this? I'm quite discouraged but plan to continue and am looking forward to my one healthy grain and 1 serving of fruit starting tomorrow. Thank you all so much!
Welcome RWV! I'm not the expert here and others can probably offer other great suggestions, but is it possible you have had a higher sodium level since starting SB? For example, I LOVE pickles but each claussen slice has 300mg of sodium which is insane if you add it to anything else salty in your day. Maybe you have lost a few pounds but are retaining more water than usual? My scale gives me water % (tanita brand) and I've found it to be very helpful on SB, so I can tell what's bloat and what's real gain. I'd say good luck and keep going! You will start losing, but it just may take a little longer than usual. GL!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #89
RWV
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RWV
What is going on??!!!

Thank you Spod, for the encouragement. I am a bit discouraged. Started day 15 today--1 egg beater, salsa (no sugar), whole oatmeal with cinnamon and some Stevia and Monk fruit extract added for sweetness. I keep telling myself I'm going to get on those scales and see a difference or measure my waist and see it, but nothing yet. Will continue as I know my heart thanks me.
RWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

I keep telling myself I'm going to get on those scales and see a difference or measure my waist and see it, but nothing yet. Will continue as I know my heart thanks me.[/QUOTE]

I too started out seeing no results. I started keeping a food log. I track carbs AND calories. Is it possible you're not eating enough? You should really find out how much you're actually eating per day. Remember under 1200 can cause your body to go into starvation mode! Maybe it will help you too