Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #601
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Michelle,
I'm just checking in and catching up with the boards. I am so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers and with you and your family. I can't even imagine your heartache
-Heather
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #602
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
I lost another lb yesterday and weighed in at 146. Today it went back up to 147!! oh well, I know I ate healthy. Maybe its fluid.

My friends are preparing a birthday celebration for me this weekend and next weekend we celebrate with our kids. I'm getting tired of eating steak, salads or grilled fish when we eat out and don't know what else to eat that would still be a treat! any suggestions?
How about grilled, broiled or baked chicken? Or Stir fry without the rice or noodles. Or Chef Salad, Taco Salad don't eat the shell. Hamburger and don't eat the bun, ham. Or order breakfast for supper just don't eat the hash browns. That's all I can think of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Happy birthday Berta!! Have a great day!! Still not seeing too clearly, so I'm not on here as much as usual. Every other letter is a ttypo..
Thank you Penny It was a pretty good day. Lots of cards and well wishes. Then DH took me out for supper. We ate at a Mongolian House. I had stir fry with no noodles or rice. Brought part of it home it was really good

Well I sure am hoping you start to see better really soon. I miss you!
When do you go back to the Dr.?
We are leaving Wednesday afternoon for a mini vacation. Going to Wichita to see DH sister. We will be back the 2nd of Sept. Hard to believe it will be Sept in only about a week Take care.
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Hey everyone! I had a surprise lunch out with a former colleague.. never want to miss out on catching up and networking. We ended up at California Pizza Kitchen and thankfully, they have the most fabulous roasted veggie salad. Get a half size with chicken or shrimp.

Dinner was sort of strange, I was so scatter brained over the weekend and didn't buy enough veggies so I had to run out last night and do a little more shopping. Should have bought a roasted chicken (Wegmen's has them that have nothing in them or on them, sure it's bland but I squeeze on some lemon juice and a little salt n pepper)

My weight in was excellent, 1 solid pound down. Yay!
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Hi everybody
I have been very bad and have gained back several pounds. Not feeling motivated to get in the kitchen and cook healthy, since the eyesight is so wacky. I go to the surgeon Wednesday and if all is fine, the other eye will be done Sept 4th. Then, another stretch of eye drops and no bending or lifting or rubbing the eye, etc. Dr says it takes 4 weeks to heal from cataract surgery. I have discovered that I am not a patient person. Ha - Hubby said he could have told you that!!!
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #605
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Hi everybody
I have been very bad and have gained back several pounds. Not feeling motivated to get in the kitchen and cook healthy, since the eyesight is so wacky. I go to the surgeon Wednesday and if all is fine, the other eye will be done Sept 4th. Then, another stretch of eye drops and no bending or lifting or rubbing the eye, etc. Dr says it takes 4 weeks to heal from cataract surgery. I have discovered that I am not a patient person. Ha - Hubby said he could have told you that!!!
Don't worry about your weight right now. Just concentrate on recovering.
Sorry your eyes aren't clear yet but will be soon. . My doctor had to change one lens once and fine tune the other eye to sharpen my vision next time but my husband was good from the get go. I'm ok with the drops because I wore contacts before and also have dry eyes. Hubby 'hated' having to use the drops!!! thought I'd have to hold him down to put them in.. Almost but not quite! ;-) So each person heals differently. Hope you'll be one of the quicker ones! Your vision will be getting sharper. Just a suggestion.. if you find the glare from fluorescent lighting in stores to bother you, wear sunglasses inside till you heal. I did and it made all the difference. DH never ever had a problem with glare. Hope you heal quickly.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #606
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
I lost another lb yesterday and weighed in at 146. Today it went back up to 147!! oh well, I know I ate healthy. Maybe its fluid.

My friends are preparing a birthday celebration for me this weekend and next weekend we celebrate with our kids. I'm getting tired of eating steak, salads or grilled fish when we eat out and dont know what else to eat that would still be a treat! any suggestions?
Things I like as a treat are SB friendly crab cakes (no bread crumbs ad baked in the oven, etc.), pan seared scallops, grilled lobster tails....can you tell I live at the beach and have commercial fisheries near by to shop from??

Happy (belated) Birthday Berta!

Congrats on your weight loss and size loss Glitter!!

Penny, hope your eyesight, etc. starts getting better soon. My advice on the eating during recovery? Just try to maintain. Don't go crazy eating sweets and French fries, but also focus on feeling better. If you feel like eating a sandwich, for example, go ahead.

Michele, thinking of you often....

Tonight's dinner? Home-made turkey spinach meatballs with marinara sauce. My husband will have his on a whole wheat ciabatta roll, I'll have mine with a big side salad.

Later Beachers!!

2014 Running Miles: 390
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Went to my doctor today because of the muscle cramps in my legs. She took me off the meds that help prevent bone loss and said I should use CoQ10 instead. I picked some up after my visit and started it right away. So I'll see if that works.

Wiz-I don't live at the beach but we get lots of seafood from the Gulf of Mexico. Crabs cakes are my favorite! My grandma used to make the best. Full of real crabmeat and no stuffing. She'd put all the filling back into the original crab shells, put some bread crumbs on top and deep fry them. That was always so delicious! I also love when my family gets together and my son boils lake crabs and crawfish (separately of course) with small red potatoes, corn on the cob, mushrooms, tiny onions, lemons, etc.. We cover the patio tables with newspapers and pour the hot seafood on top and eat and enjoy each other's company all day. That's good eating!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member

Berta.. I forgot to post this for you!
Safe travels! See you soon!!!

Quote:
Hi everybody
take care of yourself, no worries about the gain at this point. Do your best but healing is most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Things I like as a treat are SB friendly crab cakes (no bread crumbs ad baked in the oven, etc.), pan seared scallops, grilled lobster tails....can you tell I live at the beach and have commercial fisheries near by to shop from??

Tonight's dinner? Home-made turkey spinach meatballs with marinara sauce. My husband will have his on a whole wheat ciabatta roll, I'll have mine with a big side salad.

Later Beachers!!
sounds so good.. mind posting the turkey recipe in the dinner post? I will happily search for it in previous threads just in case!

Quote:
Went to my doctor today because of the muscle cramps in my legs. She took me off the meds that help prevent bone loss and said I should use CoQ10 instead. I picked some up after my visit and started it right away. So I'll see if that works.

Wiz-I don't live at the beach but we get lots of seafood from the Gulf of Mexico. Crabs cakes are my favorite! My grandma used to make the best. Full of real crabmeat and no stuffing. She'd put all the filling back into the original crab shells, put some bread crumbs on top and deep fry them. That was always so delicious! I also love when my family gets together and my son boils lake crabs and crawfish (separately of course) with small red potatoes, corn on the cob, mushrooms, tiny onions, lemons, etc.. We cover the patio tables with newspapers and pour the hot seafood on top and eat and enjoy each other's company all day. That's good eating!
I hope the supplement works well for you! There are a few other supplements/foods you could eat more of.. potassium and magnesium are often recommended on the boards. Seems like a serving of almonds would fulfill BOTH needs.

Potassium rich foods:
Almonds, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Coconut, Avocados, Figs, Kiwi, Swiss Chard, Cantaloupe, Apricots, Spinach, Brazil Nuts, Beets, Bok Choy

Magnesium rich foods:
Chives, Spinach, Flaxseeds, Okra, Broccoli, Basil, Dill, Cacoa, Brazil Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds, Almonds, Pine Nuts, Watermelon Seeds, Spearmint, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds

Looks like a lot of overlapping foods

this all sounds so good. I have family in Louisiana and they are always trying to get us to come down for this sort of thing. I need more vacation time.

Happy Wednesday!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #609
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Glitter, here's the recipe you requested...

Turkey Spinach Meatballs

10 oz box, frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup parm cheese
2 TB (or more) grated onion
1 teas garlic seasoning (I use a garlic and herb mix, no salt in it)
~ 1 lb+ ground turkey (ShopRite's turkey usually comes in a 1.3 lb package, that's what I use here.)

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Mix all together and form into meatballs. (I prefer a smaller meatball, let's say just over an inch in size. But really you can do whatever size you like.) Bake on a cookie sheet for 20 mins. Drain on paper towels.

You can serve them with a jarred sauce (look for no sugar added), or make your own. I love the Barefoot Contessa's marinara sauce. Simple and delicious. These are also good with a vodka sauce, but of course that is higher in fat content.

Marinara Sauce Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

My husband Joe absolutely loves these!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #610
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Just a quick run by to tell you all Bye as we are leaving in an hour or so. Pray for me to have extra will power this week. I know we will be eating out alot. I admit I do plan on having a Carmel Frapuchinno from Starbucks
But other than that I want to make wise choices.

I copied off the turkey meatball recipe!!! Thanks WIZ
See everyone next week sometime. Thank you all for the nice Birthday wishes too DH did finally remember and took me out for supper. We had stir fry no noodles or rice

Great Big Hugs to you all
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
How about grilled, broiled or baked chicken? Or Stir fry without the rice or noodles. Or Chef Salad, Taco Salad don't eat the shell. Hamburger and don't eat the bun, ham. Or order breakfast for supper just don't eat the hash browns. That's all I can think of

Thank you Penny It was a pretty good day. Lots of cards and well wishes. Then DH took me out for supper. We ate at a Mongolian House. I had stir fry with no noodles or rice. Brought part of it home it was really good

Well I sure am hoping you start to see better really soon. I miss you!
When do you go back to the Dr.?
We are leaving Wednesday afternoon for a mini vacation. Going to Wichita to see DH sister. We will be back the 2nd of Sept. Hard to believe it will be Sept in only about a week Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Berta.. I forgot to post this for you!
Safe travels! See you soon!!!

take care of yourself, no worries about the gain at this point. Do your best but healing is most important.

sounds so good.. mind posting the turkey recipe in the dinner post? I will happily search for it in previous threads just in case!

I hope the supplement works well for you! There are a few other supplements/foods you could eat more of.. potassium and magnesium are often recommended on the boards. Seems like a serving of almonds would fulfill BOTH needs.

Potassium rich foods:
Almonds, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Coconut, Avocados, Figs, Kiwi, Swiss Chard, Cantaloupe, Apricots, Spinach, Brazil Nuts, Beets, Bok Choy

Magnesium rich foods:
Chives, Spinach, Flaxseeds, Okra, Broccoli, Basil, Dill, Cacoa, Brazil Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds, Almonds, Pine Nuts, Watermelon Seeds, Spearmint, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds

Looks like a lot of overlapping foods

this all sounds so good. I have family in Louisiana and they are always trying to get us to come down for this sort of thing. I need more vacation time.

Happy Wednesday!
Like the saying goes ..."y'all come on down and pass a good time!"

Thanks, Glitter, for posting that list. I do eat a lot of broccoli, spinach (raw only, don't like cooked), okra, basil (grow it at home). I'll just have to try increasing the variety of foods along with the supplement. I also take magnesium and potassium pills, morning and night. plus, I was eating 2 bananas a day for awhile, morning and evening, but went down to one a day. I just hope all this works!

Last edited by Gmomof7; 08-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #612
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just a quick run by to tell you all Bye as we are leaving in an hour or so. Pray for me to have extra will power this week. I know we will be eating out alot. I admit I do plan on having a Carmel Frapuchinno from Starbucks

See everyone next week sometime. Thank you all for the nice Birthday wishes too DH did finally remember and took me out for supper. We had stir fry no noodles or rice

Have a safe trip, Berta, and think of me when you're having that frappucino! You'll do fine! If you fall off, just get right back on!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Turkey Spinach Meatballs

1 egg beaten
1/3 cup parm cheese
~ 1 lb+ ground turkey (ShopRite's turkey usually comes in a 1.3 lb package, that's what I use here.)

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Mix all together and form into meatballs. (I prefer a smaller meatball, let's say just over an inch in size. But really you can do whatever size you like.) Bake on a cookie sheet for 20 mins. Drain on paper towels.

You can serve them with a jarred sauce (look for no sugar added), or make your own. I love the Barefoot Contessa's marinara sauce. Simple and delicious. These are also good with a vodka sauce, but of course that is higher in fat content.

looks delicious! I love red sauces but am always concerned any tomato sauce or paste has too much sugar. I realize tomatoes are naturally sweet, but how much sugar should I look for in tomato sauce or paste? Anyone know? I have not had any sauces in over 2 months! Big record for this Italian!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #614
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
looks delicious! I love red sauces but am always concerned any tomato sauce or paste has too much sugar. I realize tomatoes are naturally sweet, but how much sugar should I look for in tomato sauce or paste? Anyone know? I have not had any sauces in over 2 months! Big record for this Italian!
I find tomato sauce all over the place without sugar. If the label doesn't have sugar in the ingredients list, it's good.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #615
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
I have internet!

For now at least.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #616
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I have internet!

For now at least.
Yea!! We missed you Rose

And as Rose mentioned in her other post, any red sauce with no added sugar is fine. I do like to make my own, but there of plenty of SB friendly choices in my supermarket.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have internet!

For now at least.
woo hoo!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:

Berta,
Happy Belated bday. (been on vacation) have a safe and wonderful trip. Keep moving! Walk or exercise any way that you like. Helps when you enjoy a little too much vacation!

Have fun!!
Jeri
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #619
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Turkey Spinach Meatballs

1 egg beaten
1/3 cup parm cheese

Pre-heat oven to 400.

So making these today! Gonna freeze them for easy suppers and lunches. Can't wait. You could turn this into a meatloaf too. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Being Italian...isn't there an old "gravy" recipe from a grandmother?? I got a wonderful recipe from my Italian girlfriend and love to make big batches and freeze it. You could always make it SB friendly.
I miss eating pasta! I can't even make it cuz I can't control myself.
Happy cooking.....

Jeri
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I find tomato sauce all over the place without sugar. If the label doesn't have sugar in the ingredients list, it's good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericrop View Post
So making these today! Gonna freeze them for easy suppers and lunches. Can't wait. You could turn this into a meatloaf too. Thanks for the recipe!

I just checked my Con..(dont know I'm allowed to mention name brands) tomato paste and it shows 7 gms of carbs, 4 sugars, and corn syrup is listed in ingredients. My Hun..is also 7 grams and 4 sugar, but added sugar is not listed in the ingredients. I'm guessing the Hun.. would be ok?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Wiz-thanks for the Marinara website. I'll check it out.

Jeri- my mom used to make 'tomato gravy', never called it spaghetti sauce! But I always cook my sauces for hours and hours and it's thick and holds up well to pastas and so yummy! But it's not what one would call a gravy. Besides my mom never really had a recipe. A little of this and a little of that. I also add sugar to my sauces because even though I love spaghetti sauce I didn't typically eat tomatoes. I do love Italian foods like chicken, veal, or eggplant parmigiana, lasagna, ravioli stuffed with lobster and crawfish (not sure if this is Italian as much as local but its delish!!) LOL. If I took one bite I'd be afraid my almost 3 months on plan would be out the window and there'd be no turning back!!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #623
Senior LCF Member

I got this from Marlene Koch's newsletter. I love Greek salad so think this will be delicious and fits into SB.

Seven Layer Greek Dip

Ingredients

1 (8-ounce) container hummus
¾ cup light sour cream
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
¾ cup chopped, seeded tomatoes
½ cup chopped, peeled, seeded cucumber
¼ cup slivered red onion
¼ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
3 kalamata olives, chopped

Ingredients

1. Spread the hummus evenly across the bottom of a 9-inch pie or serving plate. Spread the sour cream over the hummus. Sprinkle on the spinach, then the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and feta cheese, topping with chopped kalamata olives. If desired, garnish around the edges with chopped parsley.

2. Cover with plastic wrap or foil, place in refrigerator, and chill until serving time.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #624
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
FYI, Jeri, here's the meatloaf recipe I "invented" and yes, it has spinach too.

Tracy's Turkey Meatloaf Provencale

All quantities are approximate - I rarely measure

2 lbs lbs ground turkey
1 onion, chopped and sauteed
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 oz grated mozz, plus another 2 oz reserved
1/2 cup parm cheese
~8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
1 egg beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teas dried thyme
1 teas fennel seeds (optional)
salt and pepper

Mix all together, form a loaf and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

Enjoy!! (P.S. Tracy is my first name, Wiz is a family nickname...)
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #625
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wiz-thanks for the Marinara website. I'll check it out.

Jeri- my mom used to make 'tomato gravy', never called it spaghetti sauce! But I always cook my sauces for hours and hours and it's thick and holds up well to pastas and so yummy! But it's not what one would call a gravy. Besides my mom never really had a recipe. A little of this and a little of that. I also add sugar to my sauces because even though I love spaghetti sauce I didn't typically eat tomatoes. I do love Italian foods like chicken, veal, or eggplant parmigiana, lasagna, ravioli stuffed with lobster and crawfish (not sure if this is Italian as much as local but its delish!!) LOL. If I took one bite I'd be afraid my almost 3 months on plan would be out the window and there'd be no turning back!!
I should have been Italian! I love, love, love Italian food. I thought it was interesting to call it gravy or 'tomato gravy'. Oh great...now I'm hungry!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #626
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
FYI, Jeri, here's the meatloaf recipe I "invented" and yes, it has spinach too.

Tracy's Turkey Meatloaf Provencale

All quantities are approximate - I rarely measure

2 lbs lbs ground turkey
1 onion, chopped and sauteed
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 oz grated mozz, plus another 2 oz reserved
1/2 cup parm cheese
~8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely
1 egg beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teas dried thyme
1 teas fennel seeds (optional)
salt and pepper

Mix all together, form a loaf and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

Enjoy!! (P.S. Tracy is my first name, Wiz is a family nickname...)
I am going shopping soon. Picking up ingredients. Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #627
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just checked my Con..(dont know I'm allowed to mention name brands) tomato paste and it shows 7 gms of carbs, 4 sugars, and corn syrup is listed in ingredients. My Hun..is also 7 grams and 4 sugar, but added sugar is not listed in the ingredients. I'm guessing the Hun.. would be ok?
Corn syrup is sugar so it does have added sugar in your tomato paste. First time I ever heard tomato paste having that!. If it doesn't have anything added, good to go. Tomatoes have naturally occurring sugar so that is where sugar on the nutrition label comes from.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #628
Senior LCF Member

Whew. What a day. Watched a friends toddler who is my daughter's age. I am beat! I missed lunch since the friend wouldn't nap, did my best to snack but now waiting for dinner.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #629
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Corn syrup is sugar so it does have added sugar in your tomato paste. First time I ever heard tomato paste having that!. If it doesn't have anything added, good to go. Tomatoes have naturally occurring sugar so that is where sugar on the nutrition label comes from.
Maybe find Organic? I use such a small amount in my homemade sauce, I don't think it would be a problem. Lots of labels to read...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Maybe find Organic? I use such a small amount in my homemade sauce, I don't think it would be a problem. Lots of labels to read...
I looked at Whole Foods when I first started SB and didn't see anything sugar free. Guess at the time I wasn't thinking of tomatoes having 'natural' sugars! . And here I was avoiding anything with tomato sauce!

Tonight I branched out and had half of a plain sweet potato with my dinner. I was getting tired of 'green' veggies and needed a change.