Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paulainks
Stats: 215/173.5/129
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 11, 2013
Congrats! I'm wrapping up my first week and loving it. strayed off plan yesterday but for the most part I've done very well. I can't wait to weigh in tomorrow. So far I've lost 4 pounds.

I'm not hungry, I'm no cranky. So far we're good.

So far South Beach is the way to go.
paulainks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
Start Date: February 13 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Glad to hear you are feeling better! The goal here is not to starve yourself And by the way, it was me Wiz asking you about sleep not our fearless leader, Rose.

Jericrop, welcome to our group!! I've been following SBD for over 5 years and I've been able to keep most (but sadly not all! ) of the weight off I lost back in 2008.

Off to NYC today on the train for 3 days of business...be back in touch later this week.
Sorry Wiz!! I totally knew it was you not Rose. Temporary brain spaz! Are you getting any decent beach days down at pt. pleasant yet? Essex county has just been getting rained on for what feels like weeks. Given the multiple shark sightings lately, I'm guessing the water is nice and warm already.
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
Can't wait to have the two weeks under my belt. (not that I need one yet, lol)
I miss having my glass of wine!

Day 3 beginning today for me. I weigh myself everyday so I can stay on track. Scale down 5 lbs, but I believe most is water weight. I don't care what type of weight it is as long as it comes off...

Been to Weight Watchers (several times) and have lost 33 lbs 8 years ago, but put it all back on.

So far, feeling great and under control!!

Last edited by Jericrop; 06-18-2013 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Word fix
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericrop View Post
Can't wait to have the two weeks under my belt. (not that I need one yet, lol)
I miss having my glass of wine!

Day 3 beginning today for me. I weigh myself everyday so I can stay on track. Scale down 5 lbs, but I believe most is water weight. I don't care what type of weight it is as long as it comes off...

Been to Weight Watchers (several times) and have lost 33 lbs 8 years ago, but put it all back on.

So far, feeling great and under control!!

rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Had a great 3rd day. I am finding so many yummy foods to eat. Vegi's and hummus, almonds, beans, grilled chicken, low fat string cheese, egg + egg white spinach/mushroom omelet with salsa for topping, lots of good stuff. Still drinking the water too! Hope you all are having a great day too!!

Going away for the weekend with friends, camping. Planning our menu so it is SB friendly.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
Start Date: February 13 2013
Doh, I'm going to the beach today and forgot to grab my lunch out of the fridge. Couldn't turn around or I'd miss my train. Today is going to be a rough day. On the upside, I have 4 pounds left to my goal of 50...and 17 days to meet my goal. even being close will feel like such a great reward. Come on big 50!
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Confused and frustrated

I can't figure out what to do! I am quickly approaching 55. I am only 5'2 1/2" and currently weigh 173 pounds. My Blood Pressure and cholesterol are both a little high and I don't want it to get worse! I really want to be in normal range my the time I turn 55 in October I have been on Atkins for several months, and have lost 10 pounds......then nothing. I am past induction, but still nothing. My doctor recommended SB to begin with, but I thought Atkins would be a better jump start! Now I am beginning to second guess myself. I eat lots of low carb veges. Ie: 2 cups of salad daily and usually another cup of cooked broccoli or cauliflower. I love being allowed to eat butter and heavy cream in my coffee, and Real full fat cheese, but I miss yogurt, cottage cheese and beans. I absolutely hate the taste of low fat salad dressings! Yuck! Mentally......SB seems like a healthier choice, but then again Dr Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" does too.....but that one is all vegetarian and tons of fruit! Any feedback/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Saltysailor1; 06-20-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltysailor1 View Post
I can't figure out what to do! I am quickly approaching 55. I am only 5'2 1/2" and currently weigh 173 pounds. My Blood Pressure and cholesterol are both a little high and I don't want it to get worse! I really want to be in normal range my the time I turn 55 in October I have been on Atkins for several months, and have lost 10 pounds......then nothing. I am past induction, but still nothing. My doctor recommended SB to begin with, but I thought Atkins would be a better jump start! Now I am beginning to second guess myself. I eat lots of low carb veges. Ie: 2 cups of salad daily and usually another cup of cooked broccoli or cauliflower. I love being allowed to eat butter and heavy cream in my coffee, and Real full fat cheese, but I miss yogurt, cottage cheese and beans. I absolutely hate the taste of low fat salad dressings! Yuck! Mentally......SB seems like a healthier choice, but then again Dr Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" does too.....but that one is all vegetarian and tons of fruit! Any feedback/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I guess I would suggest that you take your doctor's suggestion and get on the SB program. Buy the book and do it by the book. Make your own salad dressing with quality ingredients. I use olive oil and vinegar as a base. There are many recipes, if you can snag a copy of one of the SB cookbooks at your library, they are full of yummy recipes. You can get plenty of support here. Just be aware that this is not a quick fix, but a life change.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Hello

Quote:
I have been having flavored balsamic vinegar on my salads. I love it! Go for Fat Free Half and Half in your coffee, low fat cheeses, string cheese, lean meats. I love it so far. I love having this site too!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Almost thru week 1

Starting on day 6 and down 7 lbs and jumping for joy.
I know this is the jump start weeks and it will go at a slower pace when I start Phase II, but living in the moment!
Doing well not having my glass of wine at night. I have replaced it with either Crystal Light or diet pop in a wine glass. Works for me. Knowing that this is a temporary fix for my wine is working out for me. I haven't ventured out to eat yet. Nervous about that. We tend to go fast food on the run and I don't want to mess this up. Usually I stick with something for a week and then not seeing the results I want or just getting plain lazy, I fall off the wagon. I am the driver of my own destination. Can't drive if I fall off!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Cucumber/Tomato Salad

Ingredients
1 pound cucumbers (about 2 cucumbers), peeled and thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 Vidalia onion, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
In a large serving bowl, toss together the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, onion, parsley, vinegar, salt, and pepper, to taste. Let the salad stand for 10 minutes before serving.

You can add 1 TBL of Olive Oil also if you prefer. I don't want the added calories and it tastes great without it.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I guess I would suggest that you take your doctor's suggestion and get on the SB program. Buy the book and do it by the book. Make your own salad dressing with quality ingredients. I use olive oil and vinegar as a base. There are many recipes, if you can snag a copy of one of the SB cookbooks at your library, they are full of yummy recipes. You can get plenty of support here. Just be aware that this is not a quick fix, but a life change.
Thanks !
I need a life change and I'm not looking for a quick fix (although losing the first few pounds quickly does help with motivation, I'll be happy if I can fix my cholesterol numbers.) my numbers are weird because my total cholesterol is a little high at 205 and my bad cholesterol (LDL) is a little high at 110, but my triglycerides are super low at 58 and my good cholesterol (HDL) is high ...over 100. My thyroid is border-line low, so now I have to watch that as well....I'm actually wondering if that might be part of my problem. Anyway, I have the south beach book as well as the cookbook and South Beach super charged on my iPad , the desserts sound awful to me, but I'll give them a try. I do admit I prefer the idea of being able to eat bean, lentils, and sweet potatoes at some point in the future. Plus, it sounds like if you slip, it is more forgiving than Atkins ( I haven't even been able to get into ketosis anyway). So, I'll read today, have an out-of-town wedding tomorrow, go grocery shopping, and start Monday!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Thanks !
I need a life change and I'm not looking for a quick fix (although losing the first few pounds quickly does help with motivation, I'll be happy if I can fix my cholesterol numbers.) my numbers are weird because my total cholesterol is a little high at 205 and my bad cholesterol (LDL) is a little high at 110, but my triglycerides are super low at 58 and my good cholesterol (HDL) is high ...over 100. My thyroid is border-line low, so now I have to watch that as well....I'm actually wondering if that might be part of my problem. Anyway, I have the south beach book as well as the cookbook and South Beach super charged on my iPad , the desserts sound awful to me, but I'll give them a try. I do admit I prefer the idea of being able to eat bean, lentils, and sweet potatoes at some point in the future. Plus, it sounds like if you slip, it is more forgiving than Atkins ( I haven't even been able to get into ketosis anyway). So, I'll read today, have an out-of-town wedding tomorrow, go grocery shopping, and start Monday!
Best South Beach wishes for your start! I don't do the desserts, but I have tweaked the ricotta recipe to make it less grainy and more of a part of my day's food. Ketosis isn't a part of SB and isn't necessary for weight loss anyway, so I wouldn't think about it.

Our beloved Wiz is a wonderful SB cook; she has so many SB friendly recipes that she very generously shares. Be sure to check the sticky for everyday, workable recipes.

Have a great time at the wedding and see you on Monday.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I have been having flavored balsamic vinegar on my salads. I love it! Go for Fat Free Half and Half in your coffee, low fat cheeses, string cheese, lean meats. I love it so far. I love having this site too!
Thanks!
I'll be reading and shopping and make the transition from Atkins to South Beach by Monday.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Best South Beach wishes for your start! I don't do the desserts, but I have tweaked the ricotta recipe to make it less grainy and more of a part of my day's food. Ketosis isn't a part of SB and isn't necessary for weight loss anyway, so I wouldn't think about it.

Our beloved Wiz is a wonderful SB cook; she has so many SB friendly recipes that she very generously shares. Be sure to check the sticky for everyday, workable recipes.

Have a great time at the wedding and see you on Monday.
Thanks, Rose1!
I know ketosis isn't part of SB....it is Atkins , which is what I have been on since March. But I'm not really progressing and it doesn't feel like a diet for life change. So, that is why I have been trying to figure out if I sould make the switch to SB. After reading the first couple of chapters, that is what I think I will do. I am going to have a ball at the wedding while attempting to watch what I eat, then go gung ho on Monday!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Cucumber/Tomato Salad

Ingredients
1 pound cucumbers (about 2 cucumbers), peeled and thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 Vidalia onion, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
In a large serving bowl, toss together the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, onion, parsley, vinegar, salt, and pepper, to taste. Let the salad stand for 10 minutes before serving.

You can add 1 TBL of Olive Oil also if you prefer. I don't want the added calories and it tastes great without it.
This recipe sounds fabulous!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Just checking in and saying hello. Eating has been terrible. been experiencing some health problems and found out I need some surgery. Totally off track again. One of these days I will get my focus back
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Just checking in and saying hello. Eating has been terrible. been experiencing some health problems and found out I need some surgery. Totally off track again. One of these days I will get my focus back
Hope it's nothing really serious. Take care of yourself!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #49
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
I'm baaaackk!! 4 straight weeks of business travel have taken their toll. I am mentally exhausted and so darn tired of eating every meal in a restaurant.

So with that being said, I am on Phase 1 today and tomorrow to get myself back on track. I am thrilled to be cooking dinner at home tonight!!

I've got pork tenderloin marinating in: equal parts EVOO, balsamic vinegar, and a dollop of dijon mustard with a handful of fresh herbs from my garden (basil, oregano, parsley). And I'll be sauteeing up a big pan of zucchini, onion and grape tomatoes. I love using the leftover veggies to make quiche or omelet fillings for breakfast the next day.

Welcome to the new folks!! I will be around the next couple of weeks and hope to be much more active here....

2014 Running Miles: 394
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #50
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Hang in there!! You can always check in here with us for encouragement even if you aren't eating on plan...we are here for you.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Went camping this weekend with another couple and it was so great! I was able to stick to SB the whole time. Walked in the wilderness taking in the fresh air and wonderful scenery. It really helped that my friend is eating healthy as well. She is on the Fast Metabolism Diet. We shared ideas with each other and had a great time.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #52
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks !
Ha! I'm with you. I think those desserts sound awful too I have never made one of them.

If I want an indulgence, I make dark chocolate covered strawberries using good quality chocolate. It's not Phase 1 friendly, but to be honest, when I did Phase 1 I used it as an opportunity to break myself of eating sweets or thinking that I "needed" dessert after a meal.

And now that I am in maintenance (or kinda am, I need to drop a few lbs to get back to my low weight ), if I want dessert - I want a bite or two of the real thing. And I've learned that is enough.

Good luck with your start on SB today!!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trisha4
Hello everyone!

Good day! I am new to the forum and returning to SB after several years. I am a mother of 4 teens/young adults and in my 50's and as many of us have numerous life stressors. Lost 15lbs on SB a few years ago rather painlessly and found that it really helped with my IBS symptoms. I am back and hoping to lose 25lbs for the first time in my life....50's have caught up with me!
Following a car accident life became more sedentary and I am now not standing for this nonsense anymore!
[B]Today is day 1 of Phase 1 of being in control of ME[/B]
So glad you are out there!!
Trisha4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha4 View Post
Good day! I am new to the forum and returning to SB after several years. I am a mother of 4 teens/young adults and in my 50's and as many of us have numerous life stressors. Lost 15lbs on SB a few years ago rather painlessly and found that it really helped with my IBS symptoms. I am back and hoping to lose 25lbs for the first time in my life....50's have caught up with me!
Following a car accident life became more sedentary and I am now not standing for this nonsense anymore!
[B]Today is day 1 of Phase 1 of being in control of ME[/B]
So glad you are out there!!
Welcome back to the beach!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Didn't get to go grocery shopping today as planned (DH had some health issues).
Had a great time at the wedding, strayed off my Atkins diet , which I was planning on going off and onto south beach , however once that damage was done, I went off that night, too with pizza, then today I just kept going ate a breakfast sandwich and jalapeño poppers at jack in the box, followed by a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner...ugh! I felt awful last night after the pizza (too much of it)..... But oh my gosh it was soooooo good! I admit I felt bad enough afterwards to vow "I won't do that again, it's not worth it" lol. So, tomorrow DH and I are going shopping so I can make sure I have protein and low carb veges with healthy fat at every meal. I am thinking I need to start with phase I after they way I messed up this weekend.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Didn't get to go grocery shopping today as planned (DH had some health issues).
Had a great time at the wedding, strayed off my Atkins diet , which I was planning on going off and onto south beach , however once that damage was done, I went off that night, too with pizza, then today I just kept going ate a breakfast sandwich and jalapeño poppers at jack in the box, followed by a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner...ugh! I felt awful last night after the pizza (too much of it)..... But oh my gosh it was soooooo good! I admit I felt bad enough afterwards to vow "I won't do that again, it's not worth it" lol. So, tomorrow DH and I are going shopping so I can make sure I have protein and low carb veges with healthy fat at every meal. I am thinking I need to start with phase I after they way I messed up this weekend.
Great attitude! If you have healthier choices in the house it makes it soooo much easier to stick to something. It really helps to have things cooked ahead of time. I like to keep cold hard boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick fix when I need something fast and lite string cheese is a good choice too. Don't forget to pick up some nuts (although limited) to me this feels like a cheat. I have always been told they are so full of fat (good fat) but fat and don't eat them. I have been having them everyday and have continued to lose. Made the cucumber/tomato salad for the weekend and made chicken fajitas with my own spices and wrapped them in Bibb lettuce instead of a tortilla shell. It was helpful that I prepared things ahead of time and planned. This is definitely a full time job, but it is all about the brain and having support...have fun shopping!!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #57
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Trisha!!

Salty, if I were you I would also start with Phase 1. Even if you just do a week of it (since you were already on Atkins.) It gets you in the SBD frame of mind!

All, I gingerly got on the scale this morning after all that business travel and hey, it wasn't that bad! I bet I can get back to my usual weight by Friday....

Tonight's dinner? Using the leftover pork tenderloin, I am making fajitas. But I'll have mine with no tortilla. I am making home-made guacamole, sauteeing up some onions and peppers, whipping up some spicy black beans, etc. Should be yummy.

Hope everyone has a great day on the BEACH!!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #58
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thought you might enjoy this photo! My niece visited us for 3 days this weekend, such a pleasure to have her with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (78.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Thought you might enjoy this photo! My niece visited us for 3 days this weekend, such a pleasure to have her with us.
Great pic!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

So, I got on the scale this morning.....up 5 pounds with just 2 days of eating bad (non-induction Atkins). Feels like i just wasted that last 4 months working so hard to lose a measly 10 pounds, just to gain 1/2 of it back! it is very discouraging. But I'm hoping it is just water from all of the carbs, although I did have chocolate and cake at the wedding as well...however, I KNOW it cannot be fat, yet! So, today is day 1 on phase I of SB which I will probably stay in for 2weeks. I am starting the day with a lovely omelet with mushrooms, spinach and low fat mozzarella....yummy!
By the way, great pic, wiz!