Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #361
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfCookie View Post
I thought I'd pop in and say hello since I've not been here in quite some time. Somehow I've managed to pretty much maintain my 55+ lb weight loss over the past 4 or 5 years. Has it really been that long? Holy cow! It's gone up a bit and then I get it back down. Those of y'all who have known me for a while know how crazy and fickel my life is so it's time to settle down, reign it in, and get back to something that feels normal. My shoulder injury took a lot out of me and I had surgery May 1 and am still recovering and doing physical therapy. I accepted a position with a law firm in Kansas. I'm crazy in love still...with the same guy. Don't laugh. It may be a record for me. Oldest kids have moved away...son is a Marine in Japan now, oldest daughter and grandbaby are doing well, so now it's just me and my awesome 12 year old (who has been at her dad's in France all summer and FINALLY returns on Saturday!!!) So that's life in a nutshell.

So Rose, how is this working now? I see ONE thread and hundreds of posts. I'm gonna be lost.

Wiz - great to see you as always my dear. I am determined to finish that blasted couch to 5k program by January 1.

Berta - hello dear. Oh my I love pie! And I really love Key Lime Pie. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

Howdy to everyone else. Have a great monday.
COOKIE! You're in the right place. The thread had been really slow and we got some new people and had some momentum going so we decided to keep the thread going through July , for some continuity, ya know? Probably should start a new thread for August. Don't disappear again, ok?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Berta, I believe I would have chosen the same thing. My challenge is to do this on a budget. I know it can be done. I just have to do it! I've become quite a budget diva and planning out my menus is detrimental to staying within my financial budget and my "nutritional budget". I'm trying to teach my daughter about portion control etc. but have chosen to do so by presenting it as a money/budget issue and not a weight issue. It doesn't hurt her feelings for me to say, "I'm poor. This amount of food has to last till pay day. This is a serving size so it should last X number of meals."

It has helped a lot and her dad commented this summer that she isn't eating mindlessly like she used to. I don't care what her actual size is as long as she is healthy. That's the best we can do as parents. Give em what they need and love em no matter what.
Hey Cookie! I am hoping to keep our budget down. looking forward to hear what works for you!
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
Berta- I searched today for Pasta Slim but couldn't find it. Tonight I found out Whole Foods carries it so il'l try to go there very soon! Thanks for the info! Your pie sounds great! I bought sf lime jello today. Might make that pie soon since I love lime. I also bought flax seed and almond flour. I want/need to make bread. Lol. How did your loaf come out?
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Good Morning SB BUDS

Well today was the day. My first two weeks are over. I am a bit dissapointed
I lost over the PH1 two weeks 6.4 lbs.I weighed in at 246.8 and started out at 252.2. So I definetely will take it. SO now on to PH2 for however long it may take.I am going according to the book as much as life will allow.My over all plan is to not eat over 2 carbs and two fruit a day, except on rare occasions.

Well I hope everyone is doing well. I will chat with everyone later on perhaps this evening or for certain tomorrow if the Lord tarrys and the creek don't rise

P.S. The reason for my dissapointment is... last Mon. I weighed 247.2, so that means only about 1 lb for this week?But I guess if I loose only one a week that will be ok.
Great loss! It's all a journey, 1 pound at a time!

I like spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Lazy days

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Hi all - Penny here

Lola - I always weigh first thing in the morning, since it is too depressing to weigh at night (you weigh more of the evening). I started my weight loss at 245 about 6 weeks ago. I had gotten down to 237 or 238, but derailed in a big way. Gained every smidgen of weight back. I was so upset with myself. And it's not like I don't know what to eat. I do. I just go off on a tangent and BOOM - right back where I started. I have re-applied myself and this morning I was at 239. Finally, I think I'm back on track.

I had the first of my pre-op Dr.'s appointments today. He said he was ok with the cataract surgery. Had a long talk about the weight. (Knew he would not like it. He didn't)! He told me what I already knew. With the herniated discs in my back, plus the nerve impingement, the only thing besides major back surgery that will help me is to drop weight and exercise. Ok, I know that, but the back hurts too much for me to do a lot of anything. He did give me a mild pain medicine, so I am going to start walking again. Not a lot at first, but anything is better than nothing. As it is now, I can't even walk around the block without pain.

I am staying pretty good with the eating. I find that I will do 3 or 4 days of p1, then I will have an apple, or a whole grain English muffin or the like. That seems to take the edge off the Phase 1 blues. I think I am going to do that for a little while more. Whatever works!!
Penny- I wish you much success in your weight loss! Losing weight will surely help your back pain. Don't worry about distance now. As you continue to lose you will be able to walk a little further each day without the added strain on your back. It's a win win! I had cataract surgery and it was a breeze. Eyes took longer to clear up afterwards but all good now.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Bread

My whole grain bread turned out fabulous.It is soft just like regular bread and so good. I took one bite had to taste it ya knowTomorrow I believe it will be eggs turkey bacon and toast!

P>S> Your soup sounds really good![/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't read your post about your bread! I was on the go all day and was going thru posts one at a time. Glad it came out great! What did you use to make the yeast rise? Was the bread SB friendly? DH would love to be smelling homemade bread again!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #367
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Berta48;16535840]GMOM
Here is one recipe from Kalyn's that we both enjoy.But since I don't know you guys food preferences you might not like it like we do! You just have to look at the recipes and see how the ingredients sound to you!

Mexican Baked Eggs with Black Beans, Tomatoes, Green Chiles, and Cilantro
(Makes 4-6 servings, recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from the recipe for Tuscan Baked Eggs I found in Fine Cooking Make it Tonight.)

1 small onion, finely diced
1-2 tsp. olive oil, depending on the pan
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground Ancho chile pepper (or use any type of chile powder)
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomatoes with juice (preferably petite dice tomatoes)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles (you may not want the whole can if you're sensitive to spicy foods)
4 - 6 eggs
1/4 - 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Four Cheese Mexican Blend, which is a blend of low-fat cheeses)
chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450F/230C. Spray either one large casserole dish, three medium gratin dishes, or six individual gratin dishes with olive oil or non-stick spray. Open black beans and drain into a colander placed in the sink, then rinse with cold water until no more foam appears. Let beans drain while you saute onions.

Heat olive oil in a small frying pan with deep sides and saute onions about 2 minutes. Add ground cumin and Ancho chile pepper and saute 2-3 minutes more. Add tomatoes with juice, drained beans, and diced green chiles to the pan with onions and let cook at very low simmer about 20 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly thickened.

Decide whether you're making one large casserole with 6 eggs, 3 medium casseroles with 2 eggs, or 6 individual casseroles with 1 egg, and spray dishes with olive oil or non-stick spray. Spoon a small amount of the tomato-bean mixture in the bottom of each dish (use about half the mixture.) Carefully break the eggs on top of the tomato-bean mixture. Spoon the rest of the mixture around eggs, avoiding the yolk.

Bake the casserole or gratins about 5 minutes, or until the eggs are starting to look set but are still fairly wet looking. (Edit, this will take longer in a large casserole dish.) Remove dish(es) and change oven or toaster oven to broil (Be careful not to burn yourself!) Sprinkle cheese over the top and put dish(es) back in close to the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Be sure to remove while egg yolk is still soft.

Serve hot, with whole wheat flour tortillas to dip into egg. Also good with salsa and RF sour cream served with it.We don't eat the tortillas but DH does sometimes!

Let me kow if you try it and how you like it OK?

Thanks, Berta, for sharing this recipe! I'll let you know when I try it. It does sound good! I'm not a fan of cilantro but I know I can omit it. We love Mexican and Italian foods! If you have any Italian casseroles that you especially love I'd be anxious to try them too!

I'm thinking of making a mock lasagna using eggplants. Just bought one today. Was hoping to find SB friendly already made pasta sauce as mine tastes great but not 'legal'. but I couldn't find any. I'm so tired of reading labels of every item I touch. Spent half the day shopping trying to find the lowest carb foods with no sugar, molasses, honey, fructose syrup, corn syrup solids, etc etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
GMOM
Here is one recipe from Kalyn's that we both enjoy.But since I don't know you guys food preferences you might not like it like we do! You just have to look at the recipes and see how the ingredients sound to you!

Mexican Baked Eggs with Black Beans, Tomatoes, Green Chiles, and Cilantro
(Makes 4-6 servings, recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from the recipe for Tuscan Baked Eggs I found in Fine Cooking Make it Tonight.)

1 small onion, finely diced
1-2 tsp. olive oil, depending on the pan
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground Ancho chile pepper (or use any type of chile powder)
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomatoes with juice (preferably petite dice tomatoes)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles (you may not want the whole can if you're sensitive to spicy foods)
4 - 6 eggs
1/4 - 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Four Cheese Mexican Blend, which is a blend of low-fat cheeses)
chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450F/230C. Spray either one large casserole dish, three medium gratin dishes, or six individual gratin dishes with olive oil or non-stick spray. Open black beans and drain into a colander placed in the sink, then rinse with cold water until no more foam appears. Let beans drain while you saute onions.

Heat olive oil in a small frying pan with deep sides and saute onions about 2 minutes. Add ground cumin and Ancho chile pepper and saute 2-3 minutes more. Add tomatoes with juice, drained beans, and diced green chiles to the pan with onions and let cook at very low simmer about 20 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly thickened.

Decide whether you're making one large casserole with 6 eggs, 3 medium casseroles with 2 eggs, or 6 individual casseroles with 1 egg, and spray dishes with olive oil or non-stick spray. Spoon a small amount of the tomato-bean mixture in the bottom of each dish (use about half the mixture.) Carefully break the eggs on top of the tomato-bean mixture. Spoon the rest of the mixture around eggs, avoiding the yolk.

Bake the casserole or gratins about 5 minutes, or until the eggs are starting to look set but are still fairly wet looking. (Edit, this will take longer in a large casserole dish.) Remove dish(es) and change oven or toaster oven to broil (Be careful not to burn yourself!) Sprinkle cheese over the top and put dish(es) back in close to the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Be sure to remove while egg yolk is still soft.

Serve hot, with whole wheat flour tortillas to dip into egg. Also good with salsa and RF sour cream served with it.We don't eat the tortillas but DH does sometimes!

Let me kow if you try it and how you like it OK?

Penny
Sounds like you have a planI heard a saying the other day and here it is.....
Eating Healthy and right is hard and being fat is hard...
CHOOSE YOUR HARD!

I always try to remember this and also when the tempter boggels my mind I have a nice long talk with Jesus and he walks me through! Now that is not to say I will always listenAs soeitmes I loose the battle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Hi everyone! Had a long weekend but did well! I made peanut butter cookies. I had crunchy peanut butter on hand and used xylitol/erythritol (no funny aftertaste) had 2 cookies and some skim milk.

Biggest challenge will be this weekend for my husband's birthday. My MIL insists on taking us out.

I made some yummy dishes that I will share. Kalyn's Kitchen Cannelini Bean and Sausage Stew (we used red kidney and chickpea ).pinterest recipe
Ingredients:

1.5 lbs. ground meat (I used 1 lb. of grass-fed ground beef & 1/2 lb. of ground pork.)
2 eggs
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 c. almond flour
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1.5 Tbl. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbl. water
3/4 c. marinara sauce

Directions:

Place everything except the marinara sauce into a mixing bowl.
Mix with a stand mixer or your hands. Note: A little spoon-mixing isn’t going to cut it for meatloaf. You either need to use a stand mixer or get your hands dirty. That’s the only way it’s going to hold together.
Spray a 12-cup muffin pan (or grease with your choice of fat).
Divide the meat mixture evenly into the 12 muffin cups.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and top each meatloaf with a scant 1 Tbl. marinara sauce.
Bake an additional 15 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked.
Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Glitter-Do you make your own sf marinara sauce and where do you buy xylitol/erythritol? There's so many things I'm having to learn eating this way! Btw, I love the peanut butter cookies but the Splenda leaves a strong aftertaste. Glad to hear xylitol doesn't! DH and I limit ourselves to 2 per day but they're so tiny I could eat 6!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Glitter-Do you make your own sf marinara sauce and where do you buy xylitol/erythritol? There's so many things I'm having to learn eating this way! Btw, I love the peanut butter cookies but the Splenda leaves a strong aftertaste. Glad to hear xylitol doesn't! DH and I limit ourselves to 2 per day but they're so tiny I could eat 6!
I buy sauce in the organic foods section usually Wegman's brand or Trader Joe's. Plain Marinara seems to usually have no sugar. Good luck!

I would suggest xylitol only, I am trying to use up the erythritol as I don't care for the blend, xylitol is yummy by itself and the best price is through the store right on this site!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Xylitol

Quote:
I buy sauce in the organic foods section usually Wegman's brand or Trader Joe's. Plain Marinara seems to usually have no sugar. Good luck!

I would suggest xylitol only, I am trying to use up the erythritol as I don't care for the blend, xylitol is yummy by itself and the best price is through the store right on this site!
Thanks! Since we don't have either store here, I'll look at Whole Foods first since I'm going to check on the Wildwood pasta slim anyway. If they don't have it ill try ordering online. Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #371
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
COOKIE! You're in the right place. The thread had been really slow and we got some new people and had some momentum going so we decided to keep the thread going through July , for some continuity, ya know? Probably should start a new thread for August. Don't disappear again, ok?
ROSE
I've been missing you girl.Where ya been?Did you happen to read my post awhile back where I found turnips are a root and not allowed on PH1 after all? It's in the Sb Supercharged Book under foods to avoid on PH1.I still haven't cooked them but thinking on doing it this week since I am in PH2 now
Quote:
I buy mine in the Heath Market section of our grocery store HyVee.

I am just the opposite.. I have never tasted an after taste in Splenda but very bitter one with the erythritol.Funny how everyones taster is so different! Guess that is why there are so many different products

Quote:

Guess I will have to try the xylitol

Last edited by Berta48; 07-29-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #372
Berta48

Whole Grain Bread Machine Recipe

3 1/2Tbs margarine(recipe called for butter)
3 1/2Tbs Honey
2 Tbs wheat Germ ( I did not add any I used 2tbsFlax seeds and sunflower seeds)
1 c water or milk(I used 1% Milk)
1 larg. egg beaten

2 1/4c White Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4tsp salt
1 Tbs Oat Bran hot cereal uncooked(I used multigrain cereal)
3 tsp Bread Machine yeast,
4 tsp Vital wheat gluten.

Place beaten egg,honey, water or milk in bread machine.Add flour, oat bran, wheat germ,and salt. Cut margarine into pieces and add to mixture. Add yeast and vital wheat gluten last Use whole wheat setting on the bread machine!

I also added about 1/2c chopped walnuts.

try it I will be willing to say you will really like it!!!

Healthy Whole grain bread.But remember to slice into 1oz slices.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #373

Quote:
ROSE
I've been missing you girl.Where ya been?Did you happen to read my post awhile back where I found turnips are a root and not allowed on PH1 after all? It's in the Sb Supercharged Book under foods to avoid on PH1.I still haven't cooked them but thinking on doing it this week since I am in PH2 now

I buy mine in the Heath Market section of our grocery store HyVee.

I am just the opposite.. I have never tasted an after taste in Splenda but very bitter one with the erythritol.Funny how everyones taster is so different! Guess that is why there are so many different products

Guess I will have to try the xylitol
It depends on which book/list you are looking at. Turnips are definitely on some phase 1 lists. While they are indeed a "root" they are not starchy like potatoes for example and are included on phase 1 lists. Eating a turnip isn't going to hurt anything. On the other hand staying away from anything you are uncomfortable with certainly can't hurt to be safe. Personally, I would worry more about Cool Whip than a turnip.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Bread/xylitol

Quote:

Quote:
Whole Grain Bread Machine Recipe

3 1/2Tbs margarine(recipe called for butter)
3 1/2Tbs Honey
2 Tbs wheat Germ ( I did not add any I used 2tbsFlax seeds and sunflower seeds)
1 c water or milk(I used 1% Milk)
1 larg. egg beaten

2 1/4c White Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4tsp salt
1 Tbs Oat Bran hot cereal uncooked(I used multigrain cereal)
3 tsp Bread Machine yeast,
4 tsp Vital wheat gluten.

Place beaten egg,honey, water or milk in bread machine.Add flour, oat bran, wheat germ,and salt. Cut margarine into pieces and add to mixture. Add yeast and vital wheat gluten last Use whole wheat setting on the bread machine!

I also added about 1/2c chopped walnuts.

try it I will be willing to say you will really like it!!!

Healthy Whole grain bread.But remember to slice into 1oz slices.

I thought honey was forbidden on South Beach. Or am I mistaken? I would love to try xylitol. After researching I found there are different brands. Not sure which one to order. I wonder if xylitol can be used to feed yeast like honey and sugar. Some reviews say they're Gmo, others say they're not.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #375

Quote:
I thought honey was forbidden on South Beach. Or am I mistaken? I would love to try xylitol. After researching I found there are different brands. Not sure which one to order. I wonder if xylitol can be used to feed yeast like honey and sugar. Some reviews say they're Gmo, others say they're not.
Xylitol - as of today, who knows in the future, NOW brand is extracted from non-GMO corn.

Basically, you are correct about honey. You actually don't need anything to "feed" yeast, it just makes it grow a bit faster. I don't know how it would work without it in a bread machine, because DD, my bread-maker, won't allow one in the house.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #376
Berta48

Quote:
OOOPSY I forgot to put I used imitation honey. It is sweetend with malititol syrup.But you could use SF Maple Syrup it would probably be just as good or any type of sweetner!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vfCookie
Stats: kilo 109/83.9/70
Start Date: 24 August 2007
Quote:
COOKIE! Don't disappear again, ok?
Yes, ma'am.

Eating this week will be a bit iffy because I have to eat what I have. (pay day is friday) BUT that gives me time to plan out my menus and game plan of what I will prepare over the weekend to have ready to grab.

have a great Tuesday!
vfCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Hi everybody - Penny here

Wednesday weigh-in. I am at 237.5 this morning, 7.5 pounds down from my beginning weight of 245!! I have finally made up all the lost ground, (or lost weight) since falling off the wagon. Talk about kicking your own feet out from under yourself...It took 5 days to put it all back on, and 6 weeks to take it off!! Man, this is slow going this time. My Dr. said the older you are, the slower it is to come off. Sad but true. I have my 2nd pre-surgical exam from the cardiologist tomorrow. After that --- cataracts will be gone!! Can't wait - Its a real bummer not being able to see well.

Just had breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of cut up squash and green pepper, 1/4 cup ham and 2 TBSP lf cheese. Yummy! Going down to the Target to do some walking. It's just too hot here in July to walk outside for me. Hubby is huffing and puffing and sweating bullets when he comes in from his 2 miles in the morning. My hope is that by fall, I will be able to walk with him again in the morning. Pains in the back are excruciating, but hopefully, the meds will help me become more active. I look at it this way: the more I move, the faster I will loose, the better my back will feel. Makes sense to me...
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Xylitol - as of today, who knows in the future, NOW brand is extracted from non-GMO corn.

Basically, you are correct about honey. You actually don't need anything to "feed" yeast, it just makes it grow a bit faster. I don't know how it would work without it in a bread machine, because DD, my bread-maker, won't allow one in the house.

yes, non-GMO corn.. I wasn't sure how much people care about that (as of now, sweet corn only accounts for 10% of crops in the US, I actually don't know which corn xylitol comes from).. I eat all organic and I'm actually trying to keep south beach as 'whole food' oriented as possible.

I went to get on the scale to see my weight loss for the week, the screen is dieing looks like I"ll have to get another scale. Anyone have experience with those fancy ones that do the water/fat ratios?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #380
Berta48

Good Morning Everyone
It is so nice here it is like fall weather.I certaily hope that doesn't mean an early winter.But we have to take whatever God gives. We finally recieved some well needed rain yesterday and late last night.

I went through old recipes and found a whole lot of SB ones and I found My Mexican Recipe book too!!!
I found NoBake Lemon cheesecake with my nut crust it is wonderful.Made with SF lemon jello and RFcottage cheese.I know that sounds bad..... but it is wonderful! I don't plan on eating these type of foods alot just mainly when we have our monthly suppers at church so I will be able to eat helathy there too!Or when we have company.

Tuna Quiche in Rice Crust,BBQ Sauce Recipe,Brownie Recipe made with Oat flour(I grind my oatmeal up into flour in my food processor)they have unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla,egg white and sweetner.Also these muffins are from the oat flour too. Oatmeal Pumpkin & Oat Muffins with maple flavoring,

Then I found Cream Of Mushroom Soup, Tomato soup,Light & Saucy Shrimp.
Marinara Sauce,BBQ Sauce,Chili Powder,Shake & Bake(just mix it store in a bag and use it for meat or fish) Pumpkin nut muffins PH2&3 (this is an old SB one).
SB Biscuit Mix,Pnt Butter Cookies with with dark choc.

Creamy Veg. Dip,3min choc cake in a2c cup.(made with almond flour)
Oven fried mozzarella sticks,Cheese log,SB Cole Slaw,Mexican Chicken Casserole,Whole Grain Pancake Mix,I could go on and on.But I won't

I had forgotten about all of them when I went back to my old eating habits.I'm so happy I found them again

Quote:
Hi everybody - Penny here

Wednesday weigh-in. I am at 237.5 this morning, 7.5 pounds down from my beginning weight of 245!! I have finally made up all the lost ground, (or lost weight) since falling off the wagon. Talk about kicking your own feet out from under yourself...It took 5 days to put it all back on, and 6 weeks to take it off!! Man, this is slow going this time. My Dr. said the older you are, the slower it is to come off. Sad but true. I have my 2nd pre-surgical exam from the cardiologist tomorrow. After that --- cataracts will be gone!! Can't wait - Its a real bummer not being able to see well.

Just had breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of cut up squash and green pepper, 1/4 cup ham and 2 TBSP lf cheese. Yummy! Going down to the Target to do some walking. It's just too hot here in July to walk outside for me. Hubby is huffing and puffing and sweating bullets when he comes in from his 2 miles in the morning. My hope is that by fall, I will be able to walk with him again in the morning. Pains in the back are excruciating, but hopefully, the meds will help me become more active. I look at it this way: the more I move, the faster I will loose, the better my back will feel. Makes sense to me...
HI Penny
CONGRATULATIONSNow forward and downward.You got this

There are alot of chair exercises you can find on the internet.I use them (from time to time ) they are for people with disabilities. But they help alot. They would be easy on your back or just do the ones you can do.

Getting those cataracts off will be so nice. I have a hearing problem and it is so disouraging at times. I hear people but don't understand what they are saying. I have to have them repeat and repeat sometimes.I do ALOT of lip reading.I find that most people do not have alot of patience

I have two hearing aids but all they do is make things louder not clearer.There is a surgery they can do to fix it almost back to normal but it cost $33.000.00 and insurance doesn't cover it nor does Medicare.
So that leaves me out

Well have a great day! Will chat later much to do today yet!

Last edited by Berta48; 07-30-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Xylitol

Quote:
yes, non-GMO corn.. I wasn't sure how much people care about that (as of now, sweet corn only accounts for 10% of crops in the US, I actually don't know which corn xylitol comes from).. I eat all organic and I'm actually trying to keep south beach as 'whole food' oriented as possible.

I went to get on the scale to see my weight loss for the week, the screen is dieing looks like I"ll have to get another scale. Anyone have experience with those fancy ones that do the water/fat ratios?
I care! I just found zylosweet at my local pharmacy. It says its non GMO and made from birch trees rather than corn husks. I hope it's a good brand. It's pretty pricy but the other one was 15.00 a lb. I usually use 1/2 sweet n low and already its taken 2 pkgs and my tea still isn't sweet.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #382
Berta48

Quote:
I care! I just found zylosweet at my local pharmacy. It says its non GMO and made from birch trees rather than corn husks. I hope it's a good brand. It's pretty pricy but the other one was 15.00 a lb. I usually use 1/2 sweet n low and already its taken 2 pkgs and my tea still isn't sweet.
There is a new sweetner that is made from Monk fruit but I do not like it all all!! It's Nectresse.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
I have tried Splenda, Equil, Sweet & Low and now I use Truvia. (rarely). Hubby's gastro Dr. told him Truvia was the only artificial sweetner that he would recommend. I still don't like to add anything artificial to my food. Something to do with the chemicals coursing around in my blood-stream...I know, it's probably fine, but I'm just as happy not adding sweetner to anything.
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Oven fried Mozzarella cheese sticks

[QUOTE=Berta48;16537175]Good Morning Everyone
It is so nice here it is like fall weather.I certaily hope that doesn't mean an early winter.But we have to take whatever God gives. We finally recieved some well needed rain yesterday and late last night.

I went through old recipes and found a whole lot of SB ones and I found My Mexican Recipe book too!!!
I found NoBake Lemon cheesecake with my nut crust it is wonderful.Made with SF lemon jello and RFcottage cheese.I know that sounds bad..... but it is wonderful! I don't plan on eating these type of foods alot just mainly when we have our monthly suppers at church so I will be able to eat helathy there too!Or when we have company.

Tuna Quiche in Rice Crust,BBQ Sauce Recipe,Brownie Recipe made with Oat flour(I grind my oatmeal up into flour in my food processor)they have unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla,egg white and sweetner.Also these muffins are from the oat flour too. Oatmeal Pumpkin & Oat Muffins with maple flavoring,

Then I found Cream Of Mushroom Soup, Tomato soup,Light & Saucy Shrimp.
Marinara Sauce,BBQ Sauce,Chili Powder,Shake & Bake(just mix it store in a bag and use it for meat or fish) Pumpkin nut muffins PH2&3 (this is an old SB one).
SB Biscuit Mix,Pnt Butter Cookies with with dark choc.

Creamy Veg. Dip,3min choc cake in a2c cup.(made with almond flour)
Oven fried mozzarella sticks,Cheese log,SB Cole Slaw,Mexican Chicken Casserole,Whole Grain Pancake Mix,I could go on and on.But I won't

I had forgotten about all of them when I went back to my old eating habits.I'm so happy I found them again

I didn't realize one could even bake mozzarella sticks. Doesn't it melt into a glob of cheese? I love those as appetizers but we probably don't order them once a year.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Apologizing for the way my posts are coming out. I sometimes answer from my Iphone and can't see entire post at one time.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have tried Splenda, Equil, Sweet & Low and now I use Truvia. (rarely). Hubby's gastro Dr. told him Truvia was the only artificial sweetner that he would recommend. I still don't like to add anything artificial to my food. Something to do with the chemicals coursing around in my blood-stream...I know, it's probably fine, but I'm just as happy not adding sweetner to anything.
I don't like to use then either but my dad and grandmother both had diabetes and my mom was hypoglycemic so I try to be careful in not getting too much sugar. I do use artificial sparingly. I/2 sweet n low for tall glass of tea, and I use Splenda for hot drinks like coffee. I used Splenda for the peanut butter cookies but it left an aftertaste. Doesn't stop me from having a 1" cookie as a treat when I want something sweet. :-) but I limit myself to 2 a day instead of pigging out. And if I do I don't have any other nuts or natural PB that day.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vfCookie
Stats: kilo 109/83.9/70
Start Date: 24 August 2007
Berta – the lemon cheesecake does not sound disgusting, it sounds amazing. After I read that I did a little google search for pudding alternatives. I found loads of posts for mixing cottage cheese with sugar free instant pudding mix. Put it all in a blender/food process and process till creamy. Imagine the possibilities. (I currently have sugar free butterscotch, pistachio, and chocolate at home. Hmmm) I’ve never been keen on the ricotta cream desserts and always substituted cottage cheese for the ricotta because ricotta is just too grainy in texture for my tastes. Cottage cheese…chunks and all…has always been so much creamier and I’ve always loved it. My aunt used to make a lime jell-o/cottage cheese dish with pecans in it. It was my favorite and I’ve never been able to find a recipe that matches it. You KNOW that could be made South Beach friendly so very easily.

Question for you ladies who work in an office or can offer suggestions. I get sleepy in the afternoons. And when I get sleepy and groggy, I start to snack. Part of the reason is simply for brain function. I’m a legal assistant and if you start to nod off while working on legal documents, errors can become very costly. Do you have any suggestions of what to do when you get a case of the “nods”? (as in nodding off) I’d like to get away from snacking if possible. (FYI…I’ve not slept through the night in over 18 months. I had a painful rotator cuff injury and to this day it continues to be painful. Lying down is the WORST position and causes the most pain so I sleep in a recliner unless Brian is home.)

Cookie

If stress burned calories, I'd be a size 5!

proud member of the 60 lb club!

Cookie Crumbs (journal)
vfCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #388
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Hi All!
Too many posts to address everything.
Sounds like a lot of you are doing well!

Cookie!!! Good to see you here other than FB! I am popping in here a couple times a week.

Quote:
Question for you ladies who work in an office or can offer suggestions. I get sleepy in the afternoons. And when I get sleepy and groggy, I start to snack. Part of the reason is simply for brain function. I’m a legal assistant and if you start to nod off while working on legal documents, errors can become very costly. Do you have any suggestions of what to do when you get a case of the “nods”? (as in nodding off) I’d like to get away from snacking if possible. (FYI…I’ve not slept through the night in over 18 months. I had a painful rotator cuff injury and to this day it continues to be painful. Lying down is the WORST position and causes the most pain so I sleep in a recliner unless Brian is home.)
For me; getting up and walking around helps, along with a good dose of fresh air. I know you said you didn't want to snack, but protein seems to help when I am feeling a bit tired......that and coffee!

Have you tried melatonin for sleeping? That has been helping me lately as I don't want to get reliant on sleeping pills.

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #389
Berta48

Quote:
I have tried Splenda, Equal, Sweet & Low and now I use Truvia. (rarely). Hubby's gastro Dr. told him Truvia was the only artificial sweetner that he would recommend. I still don't like to add anything artificial to my food. Something to do with the chemicals coursing around in my blood-stream...I know, it's probably fine, but I'm just as happy not adding sweetner to anything.
Splenda is the only artificial sweetner I have ever liked and have never tasted an aftertast. It is a good thing to not use any sweetner but so far I just can't handle it.So if you don't eat things sweet that is a GOOOOOOD thing

Quote:
Berta – the lemon cheesecake does not sound disgusting, it sounds amazing. After I read that I did a little google search for pudding alternatives. I found loads of posts for mixing cottage cheese with sugar free instant pudding mix. Put it all in a blender/food process and process till creamy. Imagine the possibilities. (I currently have sugar free butterscotch, pistachio, and chocolate at home. Hmmm) I’ve never been keen on the ricotta cream desserts and always substituted cottage cheese for the ricotta because ricotta is just too grainy in texture for my tastes. Cottage cheese…chunks and all…has always been so much creamier and I’ve always loved it. My aunt used to make a lime jell-o/cottage cheese dish with pecans in it. It was my favorite and I’ve never been able to find a recipe that matches it. You KNOW that could be made South Beach friendly so very easily.

Have you been checked for diabetes? That is what that sounds like to me. A sugar crash! But I am not a Dr. in any way,shape or form.

No sleep? Girl I wouldn't be able to even function
If you want the cheesecake recipe with nut crust I will post it for you.

Quote:
Apologizing for the way my posts are coming out. I sometimes answer from my Iphone and can't see entire post at one time.
About the mozzerrella sticks...I really can not say as I have not tried making them. But the picture with the recipe looks really good.I will post the recipe if you'd like.I have found a baked zuchinni chip also!! I am going to try that one out for sure!My daughter gave it to me.

Did you get the Pasta Slim? Have you tried it yet?I sure hope you like it!

Last edited by Berta48; 07-30-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Truvia

Quote:
There is a new sweetner that is made from Monk fruit but I do not like it all all!! It's Nectresse.
Quote:
My sil was saying how good tasting Stevia is. So I've tried so many brands of it and haven't found one I even partially like. Does Truvia taste like a typical stevia?