Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Jeri
I made the pizza for lunch It was good except the crust got almost burnt and it was sorta soggy.Other than that it was delicious! My DH ate some when he got home and he liked it too.He likes burnt things so he said that was his favorite part

I wasn't sure how much to eat so I ate 2 squares of it. It might have been soggy because I did not have a full cup of powdered parmesan and added about 1/4 cup of regular parmesan to make a full cup

I put on 3oz lean cubed farmland ham and canadian bacon, peppers,black olives, onions,mushrooms. After I had it in the oven I thought shoot I should have diced up one of my tomatoes.We are getting them off our vine now fresh

Thanks for the recipe!Where did you get it at?

Mine doesn't turn out soggy, but I don't add many toppings. Onions, ham and cheese. Got the recipe off Pinterest. Just had leftovers for lunch. You baked the crust 1st at 350 degrees then up the temp for the toppings. The cheese may have made the difference.

Another thing I love is large portabella mushroom openfaced tuna melts.

break off the stem and clean out the gills. sear the mushroom on top of stove in a little olive oil. Mix up can tuna in water (drained), lite mayo, onion (diced) and capers (or diced dill pickles). Place Mushroom on baking sheet face up, fill with tuna, top with cheese, put in oven or broiler til top browns...

I have used these mushrooms in place of burgers too. good stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
HI

I like carrot chips but my favoirte is raw cauliflower n dip. But 2TBS isn't much. I guess I really don't adhere to that.But I don't eat a whole cup or even 1/2 c. I sorta dip it in a bit and then eat it

Have you ever eaten pine nuts? I have been seeing them in alot of recipes

I have to grocery shop today (payday) I am stocking up as I only have 4 more days to PH2. It sure has went fast.

I just got a color and cut yesterday.She got one side a bit shorter near the top But she can't put it back sono point in saying anything It willo grow back. I have been going toher for a loooong time too!
Pinenuts are fabulous, but a little goes a long way. and they MUST be toasted first. Brings out the nutty flavor.

And about the hair...Love your carefree attitude. Made me smile.

Have a great day...
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmomof7 View Post
Hi everyone- for 2 weeks I could hardly wait for phase 2 to come and now that its here I am kind of nervous eating anything that's not on phase 1. Husband and I had a salad in a restaurant tonight and felt slightly guilty eating the thin strips of carrots that were mixed in. I'm scared to eat 1/2 cup of carrots, whole wheat bread, pasta, or anything that might set my cravings back in motion. I'm also getting bored eating the same things over and over again but at least those foods feel safe to me. I haven't lost a lot of weight during Ph 1..only 4 lbs..but I don't want to gain any of that back. Btw, the frozen chocolate drink sounds wonderful! We're camping right now but when I get back home I'm wanting to drag my blender out and make it. I might be able to get over my fear where chocolate is concerned. :-)

Roberta-I read an earlier post that Rosé said she's not always on her computer during the summer months. That was a while ago so not sure if that still applies.

Ladies-I'm enjoying reading about each of you and where you're at in your journey to get healthy and thinner. I hope each of us will achieve that goal!

Gailbayne- I read your SB recipe that uses a whole chicken on phase 2. Are other pieces now allowed instead of just chicken breasts? I put a chicken in the rotisserie the other day and my husband and I ate the chicken breasts. I hated to throw away a perfectly good chicken but didn't want to veer from the plan. I thought of freezing the rest to make a pot pie later on and then realized its those foods that got me where I'm at now.

Sorry for not quoting but I seem to be having trouble figuring out to do it. Have a good nite!
I am with you! I am uncomfortable eating bread..feels like a cheat! Just not ready to go full on with the phase 2 plan. I have had whole grain bread and added back my wine occasionally, but I can't bring myself to get back on the scale. I can't stand the let down if it doesn't go my way. I went to breakfast/coffee with my friends this morning and couldn't bring myself to order a whole grain bagel sandwich, so unfortunately, I skipped eating and just had coffee.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gmomof7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericrop View Post
Pinenuts are fabulous, but a little goes a long way. and they MUST be toasted first. Brings out the nutty flavor

Have a great day...

Berta-Yes, I've used pine nut when making a pesto sauce for my husband.
Gmomof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Sorry. I put the reply in wrong place. :-(
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Quote:
Hi everyone- for 2 weeks I could hardly wait for phase 2 to come and now that its here I am kind of nervous eating anything that's not on phase 1. Husband and I had a salad in a restaurant tonight and felt slightly guilty eating the thin strips of carrots that were mixed in. I'm scared to eat 1/2 cup of carrots, whole wheat bread, pasta, or anything that might set my cravings back in motion. I'm also getting bored eating the same things over and over again but at least those foods feel safe to me. I haven't lost a lot of weight during Ph 1..only 4 lbs..but I don't want to gain any of that back. Btw, the frozen chocolate drink sounds wonderful! We're camping right now but when I get back home I'm wanting to drag my blender out and make it. I might be able to get over my fear where chocolate is concerned. :-)

Roberta-I read an earlier post that Rosé said she's not always on her computer during the summer months. That was a while ago so not sure if that still applies.

Ladies-I'm enjoying reading about each of you and where you're at in your journey to get healthy and thinner. I hope each of us will achieve that goal!

Gailbayne- I read your SB recipe that uses a whole chicken on phase 2. Are other pieces now allowed instead of just chicken breasts? I put a chicken in the rotisserie the other day and my husband and I ate the chicken breasts. I hated to throw away a perfectly good chicken but didn't want to veer from the plan. I thought of freezing the rest to make a pot pie later on and then realized its those foods that got me where I'm at now.

Sorry for not quoting but I seem to be having trouble figuring out to do it. Have a good nite!
select the button next to the quote one.. after you are done, hit quote and you got it all

I eat all the chicken as well, just not the skin or fatty things.

Had scrambled eggs with frozen spinach and salsa along with a strip of bacon. Lunch was leftover tandoori chicken with broccoli and a cheese stick..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Hi all - Penny here
Hubby is home and doing well with no real problems. We are happy for the good report. God is so good! He wanted a cheese steak sub for lunch, so we stopped and brought them home with us. Mine was on wheat bread which is not exactly p1, but oh my was it good. Going to fix baked chicken with broccoli for dinner tonight. Back to the straight and narrow.

By the way, this is the end of week 1 for me on phase 1. (With a few slips here and there). Still at between 5 and 6 pounds lost. I'm really going to try to complete the next week at phase 1. Cravings are a lot better, but I certainly don't want to nudge them into action again.

As far as the question about the chicken, I will eat all the meat, not just the white breast meat. I can't stand to waste it. If you don't do it all the time, I think you're fine. It's one of those "common sense" things. Just don't go over-board with it, and it's ok.

More later,
Penny
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #308
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Hi Penny
Happy to hear you recieved good news on your DH.
I have 4 more days till PH2 and I am counting them.I want a slice of toast with my turkey bacon and eggs.However, I have been doing good without it
I went grocery shopping today and stocked up on SB food. I found a new item in our WalMart.It's new here anyway, it is non stick spray and it is 100% EVOO.

I also found BAKED lentil sticks they are soooooo good.Baked with sunflower oil though so not certain if they would be on plan.It was hard to stop eating them. SO I won't buy them again until I find out for sure if they are on plan.(NO I didn't eat them all)

Got some fresh green beans, broccolli tips,zuchinni,cauliflower, snow peas,mushrooms and stir fry sauces with all natural ingredients in them and no MSG.So we are having chicken stir fry tomorrow night!

I bought a garlic,rottesseri(spelling) chicken and we ate that for lunch. I took all the skin off and ate 1/2 of the breast.It was good and I ate some celery with it.

Well we have bible study tonight so I need a nap.I walked over 3 hours shopping. My feet and legs hurt

It sounds as if you are doing real good.I am so proud of you!

Last edited by Berta48; 07-24-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #309
Berta48

Quote:
Berta-Yes, I've used pine nut when making a pesto sauce for my husband.

I bought some pine nuts today, so now to find some recipes.SB has a few I think that is where I even heard of them.

How long would you toast them? You do mean bake them in the oven don't you, when you say toasted?

Last edited by Berta48; 07-24-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Hi Berta-
I must admit that I've never eaten pine nuts, so I can't help with that question. Something that I have found before in the local Publix is roasted (or baked, or something) soy beans. Found them in the organic foods section. Wow - were they good. I'll have to go find them again next shopping day for snacks. Always looking for something good for snacks...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I bought some pine nuts today, so now to find some recipes.SB has a few I think that is where I even heard of them.

How long would you toast them? You do mean bake them in the oven don't you, when you say toasted?
I just stick them in a pan on top of the stove...watch them. They will burn fast.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Hi Berta-
I must admit that I've never eaten pine nuts, so I can't help with that question. Something that I have found before in the local Publix is roasted (or baked, or something) soy beans. Found them in the organic foods section. Wow - were they good. I'll have to go find them again next shopping day for snacks. Always looking for something good for snacks...
Another good snack is roasting chick peas or garbanzo beans in the oven. Open can, drain, rinse, put in bowl. add a little evoo, garlic salt and parmesan (really any spice you like) roast til golden. Tastes like nuts!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
select the button next to the quote one.. after you are done, hit quote and you got it all

Had scrambled eggs with frozen spinach and salsa along with a strip of bacon. Lunch was leftover tandoori chicken with broccoli and a cheese stick..
Ohhh. I will have to figure out what tandoori chicken is. I like the name. Take out or homemade?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Pine nuts are great in pasta. Phase 2....great in salads too! great with chicken. I love pine nuts...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Time for my glass of wine and sitting out by the pool....Have a great night all!!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Another good snack is roasting chick peas or garbanzo beans in the oven. Open can, drain, rinse, put in bowl. add a little evoo, garlic salt and parmesan (really any spice you like) roast til golden. Tastes like nuts!
Ohhh - yes, definitely!!! I'll have seconds, please...
Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

I clicked the middle button next to Quote and it showed red so I assume I am doing it right. Using an iPad so maybe it's different? Anyway..this is a test to see if it is actually quoting. At first it said I didn't have enough words. I do now! Lol

Last edited by Gmomof7; 07-24-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Still didn't get it right! Ugh!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Berta- I would imagine you could put the pine nuts over your salad or just about any food that you'd like a little extra crunch and flavor added.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ohhh. I will have to figure out what tandoori chicken is. I like the name. Take out or homemade?
Homemade! 4lbs bone in chicken , 1 cup yogurt, 1 TBL tandoori spices and 1/2 lemon (used white vinegar instead, didn't have lemon in the house). Salt the chicken generously, marinade atleast 4 hrs, bake on an oven safe cooling rack on a foil lined tray. Bake 20 min flip, bake another 20 (check with meat thermometer) I love Penzey's spices and the tandoori has no sugar.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I clicked the middle button next to Quote and it showed red so I assume I am doing it right. Using an iPad so maybe it's different? Anyway..this is a test to see if it is actually quoting. At first it said I didn't have enough words. I do now! Lol
that is right! Red means you are quoting. Just need to hit quote when done selecting
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

South beach

A
Quote:
Pinenuts are fabulous, but a little goes a long way. and they MUST be toasted first. Brings out the nutty flavor.

And about the hair...Love your carefree attitude. Made me smile.

Have a great day...
Quote:

Quote:
that is right! Red means you are quoting. Just need to hit quote when done selecting
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Lazy days of summer on the beach

Quote:

I did hit quote after I finished. . Also tried several times and it shows a line for a title which I didn't fill in because I didn't want the message rerouted. It also says I don't have enough words and need at least one character?? There's also an option to "quote message in reply" but it does nothing when I click on it. This is just too too frustrating!

This is another message after about a half doz attempts at sending using quotes so this time I had to go back and cut and paste to try sending again. :-(
Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Frustrated! Got on the scale and nothing has moved. Still at 11lbs lost. I want more! I know my problem, but need to get motivation....I am not exercising, I am not counting my nuts and I have a day off of SB during the weekend. I am going back to week one...no going off even a day. I feel good, but I want to lose. Gonna start exercising and staying away from bread and pasta. No miracles here....just have to do it myself!

Last edited by Jericrop; 07-25-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #324
Berta48

Good afternoon SB Buddies

I had a very hard time getting to sleep last nght and I feel drained today It was 2:00a.m. last time I looked.

I have a few questions.I hope no one thnks I am totally ignorant So here goes.....
SB Book says we can have Rye Bread or Multigrain and whole wheat bread right?
Well I have been looking at Whole Grain recipes on a thread that sells flour.(not allowed to say ) anyway.... The recipes always have a bit of unbleaced flour in it too? And the loaf of Rye bread we have and normally eat (when not on PH1) does also? I was also useing Sara Lee Delightful Multigrain bread and I thought that was ok.Are these still SB friendly?

Quote:
Frustrated! Got on the scale and nothing has moved. Still at 11lbs lost. I want more! I know my problem, but need to get motivation....I am not exercising, I am not counting my nuts and I have a day off of SB during the weekend. I am going back to week one...no going off even a day. I feel good, but I want to lose. Gonna start exercising and staying away from bread and pasta. No miracles here....just have to do it myself!
Guess that is why we are to add starches and fruit in gradually.I get to start Monday (almost there)
And 11 lbs is great!! KUTGW

Quote:
Berta- I would imagine you could put the pine nuts over your salad or just about any food that you'd like a little extra crunch and flavor added.
I like useing sunflower seeds the best .I bought some of those yesterday also.Why oh why are the healthy items so expensive???

Quote:
Now I may have to try that one too.But I am afraid I'd over eat them.(Miss piggy here )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Hi Berta-
I have never had those either? I will have to look for them.However the Lentil Snaps I bought yesterday are gone OH MY GOODNESS SOOOOOO GOOD garlic and Thyme flavored They were the Lentils before being taken out of hte shell!Looked sorta like a french fry.But they were baked!
I will have to not buy them again until I can control the portions though.I just kept going back and going back through out the day and then went back one more time and there were none left(I am wondering if I was the only one eating them LOL?)

How did your weigh in go yesterday or did you? I only have three more days till PH2

Last edited by Berta48; 07-25-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Lazy days of summer

Quote:
I sure hope this works. Just lost my previous message. Grr!

Jericrop- I think you're doing fantastic! 11 lbs in two weeks is a great loss! I've been strictly following is diet..no veering off at all..and have only lost 4 lbs total in almost 3 weeks. I've eaten more veggies (squash, zucchini, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, etc) in the past few weeks than the entire year I think. Lol

Berta, I'm afraid that I am going to break it Saturday night when we're going to celebrate my friend's husband's birthday. We are invited out to eat and then to a friends house for birthday cake and coffee and I'm afraid the cake will be chocolate..my biggest weakness. How did you manage to stay on your plan?

Glitter- I'm still trying to get the quote feature to work. It's not complicated but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Maybe an iPad works differently in these forums? I don't know. Thanks for your help! Now if I can send this one without it deleting I'll be happy.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Yeah! It worked!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #327
Berta48

Quote:
I sure hope this works. Just lost my previous message. Grr!

Jericrop- I think you're doing fantastic! 11 lbs in two weeks is a great loss! I've been strictly following is diet..no veering off at all..and have only lost 4 lbs total in almost 3 weeks. I've eaten more veggies (squash, zucchini, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, etc) in the past few weeks than the entire year I think. Lol

Berta, I'm afraid that I am going to break it Saturday night when we're going to celebrate my friend's husband's birthday. We are invited out to eat and then to a friends house for birthday cake and coffee and I'm afraid the cake will be chocolate..my biggest weakness. How did you manage to stay on your plan?

Glitter- I'm still trying to get the quote feature to work. It's not complicated but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Maybe an iPad works differently in these forums? I don't know. Thanks for your help! Now if I can send this one without it deleting I'll be happy.
GMOM
Well I can not say I am not tempted to cheat.HOWEVER my Dr. told me I had 2 choices either follow this plan and lose weight or go on Insulin I opted for the first option.I have been Diabetic 2 for almost ten years and have controlled it by my eating only.But have not been following the right way of eating.

So each time I am tempted I ask myself is it worth dying and taking insulin the rest of my life.Well the answer is absolutely not!I have been telling myself(and will continue) this time it is not a diet it a new way of life.
I am finding so many healthy things that taste so wonderful I can not imagine why I have not eaten this way my entire life.If I had been I would not be in the shape I am in.So I have no one to blame but myself.

I might suggest just asking yourself if it is worth it to eat it or lose weight. My favorite is choc cake too.But it is a RARE occasion now and only a very small slice.(I have not had any since PH1) but that will be my plan for life. There are several ways of making a healthy chocolate cake. Search the internet for healthy choc cake recipes. And then fix it when you get home instead of eating the one at the party.Will it be easy? NO but you can do it. ANd learning self control is what it is all about.

But also remember if you fall off the wgon just get righ tback on !Don't let it be a free for all and go all out. That is wht I have always done in the past.BUT NO MORE I PRAY

P.S. You can eat out just order broied grilled andleave the bread basket alone. Have a steak and salad with side of grilled veggies.Then at their home you could just say you were to full for desert but coffee sounds great!

Last edited by Berta48; 07-25-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #328
Berta48

Here is a flourless recipe for PNT Butter cookies
no nutrition info since we don't count. I would suggest eating them rarely!

Makes 22 small cookies 2 per serv.

Ingredients
1 lrg egg
1c sweetner (I used Splenda)
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1 cup creamy Natural pnt butter ( I use Smuckers Natural peanuts & salt only)
1 tsp water
1/3 cup chopped nuts(optional)

Pre heat oven 350F
In mixing bowl, use electric mixer to beat together the egg, Splenda,baking powder,and vanilla for about a minute.Add pnt butter and water and beat together.(The mixture will be dry and broken apart,Just be sure the pnt butter is mixed well with the other ingredients.) Add nuts if useing.

Use a large non stick cookie sheet. Measure a heaping tsp of bsatter for each cookie, then mash down with fork 2 ways leaving criss cross on cookie.Bake 15 min, or slightly longer till feel firm or are slightly browned.
FROM...
Kayln's Kitchen recipe.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #329
Berta48

Well gang I made those pnt butter cookies and I do believe they will be thrown out! They crumbled all up and just did not like them so try the recipe above at your own risk.I should have tried it before I posted.

But now here is one we had for supper and I didn't think I would like it.But it will definetely be a keeper around here!

Spinach'N Bacon Salad
1- 7 oz bag of baby spinach greens( can use reg but won't be as delicate of a salad)
1/2c FF Salad croutons( I omitted still on PH1)

Dressing
1/4c white vinegar
1/4c water
1/4c Dijon Mustard
1/4 c Splenda or preferred sweetner
5 slices turkey bacon
1/4c chopped red onion(I used reg white frozen already chopped)
2 garlic cloves (I used two tsp if minced garlic in jar)

Directions
1.Place spinach greens in a large mixing bowl. Remove any undesirable or large stems. Add croutons (I omitted).Set aside.I added 1/4 c. chopped walnuts.

2.Make dressing. Blend together vinegar,water, mustard & Splenda in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.

3.Finely slice bacon into small strips. Place into a medium saucepan and fry over medium-high heat until crispy.About 4-5 min.

4.Add onion and garlic and cook over med. heat 1-2 min.

5..Add vinegar mixture and simmer 1-2 min. Pour over the spinach & croutons.Toss well. Serve immediately.

Nutriton(per serving)
Serves4

cal/80 cal.from fat 35,fat 4g,sat fat.0.5,cholesterol10mg,sodium,620mg,carb.9gm,fibe r2gm,sugars 2g,Protein 5gm.

From
Kayln's Kitchen.

Make dressing. Blend together vinegar,water,mustard

Last edited by Berta48; 07-25-2013 at 05:18 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #330
Berta48

Oh I am so embarrased.I guess this is just my day of Senior Moments! The Spinach N Bacon recipe above was from SPLENDA not Kayln's