Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
May on the Beach

rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #2

I'm basically without internet from now until the leaves fall in September, so I'll pop in when I get a chance. I don't use my work computer for personal dinking around; if I don't allow others to do it, I don't feel that I should either. Really puts a crimp in my virtual social life.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Great to hear from you rose!

Ok, today isnt my best day on phase 1...but honestly, I made the best choices I could with the options I had...hopefully I didnt do TOO bad

B last piece of my vegetable, egg, swiss, ham bake

S non fat plain yogurt with almonds (I was starving for some reason)

L I had a huge bowl of greens drizzled with oil and vinegar, and I scraped the sauce, cheese, mushrooms, and olives off a slice of pizza (kinda phase 1ish?)

D..another less than desirable choice...I grabbed a small container of premade all white meat chicken salad from the deli and ate it with a spoon...lol. I read the ingredients. It was basically just chicken breast, mayo, celery, and spices (no sugars)

there is always tomorrow...but this was my honest menu for today
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Rose!! We were worried about you. Thanks for letting us know...

BH, I feel your pain. When I am traveling for business, sometimes I have to make do with odd choices and making the best out of what I have in front of me.

Busy weekend ahead! Fancy pre-wedding party on Saturday and my niece's communion on Sunday. I know there will be OP food at the Communion, my SiL follows SB too. Not sure at the fancy party, but I am sure I will find something.

TGIF!!
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosealenephoto
Stats: 216.8/214.2/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: May 5, 2013
New to diet and thread

Hi all I just started SB today. I did it about7 years ago and lost about 20 pounds (only did phase 1 to lose baby weight) can't remember much about it. Can I have devil led eggs? One of my fave snacks to eat
Rosealenephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: Gluten Free South Beach + CC
Love your new picture Wiz!!
Why no internet Rose???
Just checking in to say hi! I just ordered Dr. A's new book. There is a reason I always feel great on phase one and then sick as a dog moving on to phase 2, and I do believe it is from glutens. Can't wait for my new book to arrive!
Michele
michele777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosealenephoto View Post
Hi all I just started SB today. I did it about7 years ago and lost about 20 pounds (only did phase 1 to lose baby weight) can't remember much about it. Can I have devil led eggs? One of my fave snacks to eat
Welcome!! I can't stand anything related to hard boiled eggs LOL, so I am the wrong person to ask. But yes, I would think they would be fine - depending on what you add to them.

Hey Michele, that photo was from our vacation to Cancun. The water was just so stunning.

FYI. I have been MIA for a couple of days due to illness. But I am feeling a bit better to day and even got in some light exercise.

It's pretty quiet here this week, how's everybody doing on the Beach??
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey fellow Beachers! How is your week going?

Friday is my official weigh-in day and it was okay. I am still up 1.5 lbs from vacation and I really need to get those off.

And I just finished up a super 5 mile run and was able to wear shorts and a t-shirt!! Has Spring finally arrived at the Jersey Shore??

TGIF!!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: Gluten Free South Beach + CC
How is the Jersey shore looking Wiz? It is beautiful in Jersey today! I lost a couple pounds since going back to phase one. My gluten free book came today, so I'm ready to read! Nice weather to sit on my deck with a book!
michele777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
How is the Jersey shore looking Wiz? It is beautiful in Jersey today! I lost a couple pounds since going back to phase one. My gluten free book came today, so I'm ready to read! Nice weather to sit on my deck with a book!
Every week, more things get done. In fact, our boardwalk is almost done, about 80% there. But all around town, people are knocking down houses still or jacking them up to meet the new flood elevations. We know so many people not even close to being back in their houses. To be honest, for some areas it will be years before things are rebuilt.

Great news on the loss!! Phase 1 is a good kickstart for getting back OP.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey beachers!! Where's everyone hiding?

I don't know about you all, but I have every intention of having a GREAT week leading up to Memorial Day weekend. I have my meals planned out and I am looking forward to a strict week on what I call Phase 1.5 (mostly Phase 1, but with some stuff like carrots and 1 helping of fruit most days.)

Let's GO!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
My goodness this place is deserted! I can hear my echo in here.
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Jim, yeah our monthly check-in thread has lost its mojo

I don't know if there just aren't that many people doing SBD these days or what...

In any case, hope you are doing well!! I'm getting geared up for the long weekend. Woo hoo!!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

I have internet! Don't know how long it will last, but for now......

What's going on with everyone? Answer me quick!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
My goodness this place is deserted! I can hear my echo in here.
That's because you're not in here! How ya doin?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Getting through Phase 1

Hi All - Penny here. This is day 4 for me, and I am doing pretty good. total of 3 lbs down, and the cravings are definitely less. (Not gone, mind you, but manageable). I am trying to stay mostly on phase 1, but I have added couple of P2 items; an apple yesterday and brown rice tonite with my dinner. I have done P1 before, and have felt really sick and dizzy. Hopefully I will still loose, but will avoid that yucky feeling. Has anyone else experienced sickness on P1 and how did you handle it?

Thanks,
Penny
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Hi All - Penny here. This is day 4 for me, and I am doing pretty good. total of 3 lbs down, and the cravings are definitely less. (Not gone, mind you, but manageable). I am trying to stay mostly on phase 1, but I have added couple of P2 items; an apple yesterday and brown rice tonite with my dinner. I have done P1 before, and have felt really sick and dizzy. Hopefully I will still loose, but will avoid that yucky feeling. Has anyone else experienced sickness on P1 and how did you handle it?

Thanks,
Penny
Penny, I often hear of people saying they have a day or two of lightheadedness when being on Phase 1 (and the same on the Atkins and other plans). I don't remember feeling that way, but it's been 5 years ago when I first started SBD. Give it a day or two, you'll be fine. One note of caution, cutting out grains, fruit, etc. in Phase 1 is recommended for a reason! Be careful about overdoing it on the Phase 2 foods or you may sabotage your weight loss goals.

Rose, hey! Good to see you posting. How are YOU doing? Are you eating? How is your daughter?

Me, I am having a wacky week. I was really good and then totally went off the deep end last night. Too much stress, I think. Bad week at work. So back at it today, and I avoided the scale. No need to get myself even more stressed out. I will weigh in tomorrow.

On a personal note, I have a TON of gardening to get done over this long weekend!! 4 garden centers later, I am ready to rock. I love playing in the dirt.

2014 Running Miles: 125
2014 Walking Miles: 100
2014 Biking Miles: 286
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Hey wiz
Do you garden every year? I love gardening; but mine has been destroyed by ground hogs every year Building a fence and trying again this year. Got lots of goodies I want to plant and Im very excited! Any pointers?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Hey wiz
Do you garden every year? I love gardening; but mine has been destroyed by ground hogs every year Building a fence and trying again this year. Got lots of goodies I want to plant and Im very excited! Any pointers?
I am primarily a flower gardener, not veggies. I would love to do a vegetable garden, but I just don't have enough sun except right in the very front of my house. And really, I don't think a big old veggie garden gives off a lot of curb appeal!

I have numerous different perennial beds all around my yard. All of which I have done from scratch - but I have lived in this house for 25 years! I also get my husband's help with the digging, mulching, etc. I have extensive herbs planted in and amongst my flowers as well. Perennial herbs include: oregano, lemon balm, rosemary, thyme, 3 kinds of mint (but watch that, it spreads like crazy...), chives, lavender. I also plant parsley, basil, tarragon, dill, etc. as annuals each year in pots.

I also do a ton of patio container gardening - probably 30 different pots of flowers between the front and back yards.

I cannot wait until I retire - then I will really have the time to do what I envision. The beauty of perennial gardening is that there is always a new project - transplanting, splitting, new plants, etc. The key is to move things around if they don't like their original spot. Don't be afraid to make changes!!

OK, by now, you have realized this is a passion and I could go on forever

Hope all of you Beachers have a great Memorial Day weekend!!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Wow Wiz! That is awesome! Your yard must be beautiful! Post some pics Gardening is so stress relieving and rewarding for me. I'm hoping to be successful with it this year. Time will tell! This weekend is a washout But hopefully soon!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I swear to God I wrote a really long post here the other day but for some reason it didn't get posted. That'll teach me to drink and post at the same time!

At any rate...

Penny: Welcome to the forum!

Rose: I've just been very busy with family matters and haven't been able to post regularly for quite some time now. I still peruse the forum whenever I can but seldom have the opportunity to write out a post from my mom's house.

Wiz: I love gardening and it's so therapeutic! I'd love to have a vegetable garden but as I live in an apartment complex the management would probably frown on me digging up the front lawn.

I wish I could say that I've been on-plan but in a word my diet has been... crappy. I do quite well when I'm at home but on weekends when I'm in caregiver mode I don't always have the time or energy to cook two different meals, and my mom does not like SB friendly food.

Oh well... it'll work out somehow.

Jim
Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jim - Penny here

I absolutely understand about a care-giver life-style. I took care of my Mom for over a year before she passed. You would think with worry and stress you would eat less---NOT SO! (At least for me). I have struggled with weight my whole life. Periodically, I have had success with this diet or that. South Beach has been the one I go to the most often, and have had the best success with. I retired about 18 months ago, which gave me more time for cooking, which I love. BUT---I have gained back every ounce, and I am totally disgusted. I have been on phase 1 little less than a week, and I am doing OK. Hubby is not enamored with all of South Beach, so I also understand 2 separate meal plans. Fortunately, the cravings have really slackened off, so his ice cream and graham crackers are not a temptation for me. Anyway, your post struck a chord with me about your mom, so I thought I would reach out. Hang in there.
Penny
Old 05-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #23

Penny, you're a sweetie! The recipes you're posting sound yummy; too bad I don't eat meat. It's wonderful when members share recipes for new ideas. It's really hard when the spouse isn't pulling in the same direction, but don't let that derail you. Keep up with South Beach and this time it WILL stick.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hi Rose
I will start looking for meat-free recipes to post. I have a ton of vegetable recipes in another book. I have checked out cookbooks from the library and copied the recipes that I liked. So far I have 2 enormous binders of recipes, many of which will work for South Beach folks. I go in cycles, sometimes cutting out healthy recipes from the magazines and newspapers, sometimes not so healthy. This time I am GOING to do it right. I have to, my health is suffering. Bad knees, bad back, you name it...Sooooo, this is my life-style now. Time to move forward and keep on keepin-on!!
Penny
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
I absolutely understand about a care-giver life-style. I took care of my Mom for over a year before she passed. You would think with worry and stress you would eat less---NOT SO!
Penny, that is so true! I'd always read that stressful situations make you want to eat less and as a result you lose weight, but that is definitely not the case with me! When I am under stress I eat like a pig. Thanks for your nice thoughts. Being a caregiver really is a thankless job and I never understood what that meant until I was one myself. My own siblings don't even understand how much work is involved and shrug it off like I'm just there 'visiting mom'. You have to derive your own satisfaction from being a caregiver, because nobody else is going to give it to you. Sad fact.
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Hi all - Penny here
Weigh-in Tuesday! This is the end of my first week, and I am down 4 pounds! It would have been more, but I am not sticking 100% to phase 1. I still eat apples and the occasional grain here and there. Pretty dumb good, as my Dad would say! How was Memorial Day Week-end for everyone? Hubby and I made a London Broil on the grill - delish!! I'm posting the recipe on the phase 1 thread. Give it a try, we really liked it.
Penny
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
Penny, that is so true! I'd always read that stressful situations make you want to eat less and as a result you lose weight, but that is definitely not the case with me! When I am under stress I eat like a pig. Thanks for your nice thoughts. Being a caregiver really is a thankless job and I never understood what that meant until I was one myself. My own siblings don't even understand how much work is involved and shrug it off like I'm just there 'visiting mom'. You have to derive your own satisfaction from being a caregiver, because nobody else is going to give it to you. Sad fact.
Hi Jim
I'm right there with you. Of all the family, my Hubby was the only one who truly understood the strength of my commitment to take care of Mom. My sister couldn't fathom the idea of my quitting my job to move in with her and take care of her. Then she questioned my decisions concerning Mom's care. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. BUT, there was no offer to give up her week-ends at the beach so I could spend time at home. It definitely created a rift. That was 10 years ago, and we have all come together as a family now, and put all that in the past. Looking back, I can see that is where many of my bad eating habits started. However, today is a new day, and I am down 4 pounds on my first week! I consider that an accomplishment!!! I have walked in your shoes, and there IS light at the end of the tunnel. God Bless!
Penny
Old 05-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #28
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello all!

I made Turkey Spinach Parmesan meatballs last night with home-made marinara sauce. I had mine in a bowl with a side salad, my husband had his on a WW roll. Yum! These are being added to our regular dinner rotation. If anyone is interested, I can post the recipe. Phase 1 friendly...

Penny, great news on the 4 lbs!!

Jim, Penny: my mother-in-law (who passed away last August) was greatly incapacitated during her later years from a stroke (not to mention all the other horrible diseases she was dealing with...) My husband went to her house EVERY day after work. He would clean, cook, do errands, whatever she needed. Well, everything except chat - that was my job. Can you imagine that?? LOL. But when she did leave us, he had zero regrets. He knew he was an awesome son that not only loved his Mom but was there for her. I certainly don't think his siblings can say the same...

Gotta run, my work day is beckoning...
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone else feel that frozen yogurt should be south beach friendly? :-D
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #30