Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GracieWI
Stats: 211/211/????
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 2013
New Member here

Hi all. I'm Gracie, and I'm gearing up to start SBD on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of my cravings. They've been really bad of late, and I'm SO tired of it! I'm also looking forward to the support of people eating the same way, and this seemed like a great place to find that. I have a co-worker starting with me on Sunday, so it'll be nice to have someone close by (we share a cell--er--CUBE!) to help in weak moments. Does anybody belong to the paid SBD site? Seems a little pricey...

About me: I'm Gracie, from Milwaukee WI. I work in finance, so LOTS of sitting. I'm a veteran of the weight loss wars. I'm 55 now, and have been dieting since I was 14. Still have yet to get to my goal weight, but I'm ever hopeful!
GracieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieWI View Post
Hi all. I'm Gracie, and I'm gearing up to start SBD on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of my cravings. They've been really bad of late, and I'm SO tired of it! I'm also looking forward to the support of people eating the same way, and this seemed like a great place to find that. I have a co-worker starting with me on Sunday, so it'll be nice to have someone close by (we share a cell--er--CUBE!) to help in weak moments. Does anybody belong to the paid SBD site? Seems a little pricey...

About me: I'm Gracie, from Milwaukee WI. I work in finance, so LOTS of sitting. I'm a veteran of the weight loss wars. I'm 55 now, and have been dieting since I was 14. Still have yet to get to my goal weight, but I'm ever hopeful!
Hi Gracie - Penny here
I am also a member of the "dieting since I was a teen club". It's not easy to be over-weight when you have a bad back, bad knees, etc. Soooo - South Beach is my life-style now. My sister is my partner on the Beach, and we support each other. Hubby is also supportive, but doesn't like to eat SB foods. Having to cook 2 different styles of dinner was a challenge for awhile, but it doesn't bother me now. About the cravings, hang in there, and they will lessen pretty quickly, and ultimately disappear. HURRAY!!! I was on the paid site for South Beach a couple years ago, and it is helpful, but it is expensive. I think you will do fine on this board, there are lots of old timers very willing to help. Just ask any questions you may have, and pick up a copy of the book. You will get a lot of great info from that. Keep us posted on your progress. Lots of luck.
Penny
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #33
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieWI View Post

Welcome Gracie!! I think it is great you will be starting SBD with a co-worker. You can obsess together. I remember doing Weight Watchers at work with a bunch of friends and it was very helpful.

Try doing this with the book and this forum for a while. If you really feel like you need additional info, then join the on-line SBD website. Most of us have done fine without it, but the key thing is to keep your book handy and make sure you really know your food list per each phase.

Hey Penny, you say your husband won't eat SBD foods. What does he like to eat? I ask because my husband pretty much eats what I do for dinner, although he supplements his meals with bread (at least he now eats wheat bread!) I've been able to tweak many of our old favorite recipes into SBD friendly ones, and he really doesn't know the difference. Cooking two meals will get old really fast...

As for me, I am having a good eating week and hope to carry that momentum into the weekend!!

Tonight's dinner? I am marinating pork tenderloin in balsamic vinegar, EVOO, dijon mustard, chopped garlic, plus fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley from my garden. And I'll be sauteing up some zucchini, red pepper, onion and tomatoes. I'll use the leftovers from the veggies to make a "quiche" tomorrow morning for breakfast...

2014 Running Miles: 249
2014 Walking Miles: 273
2014 Biking Miles: 412
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Wiz - Penny here. That sounds yummy!! We'll be right over! Hubby likes potatoes, but not sweet potatoes. He likes peas, carrots, corn and lima beans. He will just now eat steamed broccoli, but it's not his fav. He'll eat a small portion of my steamed veggies if they are really crisp-cooked. Also he'll eat yellow squash and onions cooked in chicken broth. He likes green beans, black-eyed peas, baked beans. He LOVES beef and macaroni casserole, spaghetti and meat balls, bacon lettuce tomato sandwiches and burgers & fries. You get the drift. He has a heart condition, so he is more aware of what he eats than in years past. Nothing fried (except French fries), not too much grease or oil. His serving sizes are not huge, so that is a help. He is not over-weight, but he is trying to eat healthier. He announced the other day that he wasn't eating bread at home anymore. OK, that's good. But he will eat white English muffins. Go figure. He is very supportive of me, and anything I cook is ok, he just won't eat it if he doesn't like to look of it. He will eat a bowl of cheerios for dinner while I have a salad with tuna and garbanzo beans. I will bake a white potato for him and a sweet potato for me. I made pasta fagioli soup yesterday and he loved it. I pushed the pasta aside, and it was fine for me. He will eat meat cooked on the grill, but he needs rice or potatoes with almost every meal. It can be a challenge!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi rose!
How am I doing diet wise or life wise? lol
Diet wise...I need to make it a priority
life wise...I just closed on my house and am now a homeowner! DD #2 is graduating highschool next week, and I have moved on since my divorce and am enjoying time with my wonderful bf. Oh! and after losing my beloved cat of almost 20 years I am the proud mom of 2 new kittens! Maybe now that life is facing a better direction I can focus back on myself and tackle this weight loss thing again. I know everyone has their excuses. But life has been a stressful rollercoaster ride for the past year and a half now. I think the ride is finally slowing down and getting on a steady course.
Get your internet back! We miss you!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Tonight's dinner? I am marinating pork tenderloin in balsamic vinegar, EVOO, dijon mustard, chopped garlic, plus fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley from my garden. And I'll be sauteing up some zucchini, red pepper, onion and tomatoes. I'll use the leftovers from the veggies to make a "quiche" tomorrow morning for breakfast...
Yummy!! I LOVE balsamic vinegar, and use it often. I just had it on cantaloupe, and it was fabulous. I know, it sounds gross, but it is SO good.

Hi Wiz and Penny, thanks for the welcome. I do have the book, and the "Supercharged" book. They are on my Kindle so they go everywhere I do! I did Weight Watchers for a long time, and it works (when I work it, which isn't often enough), but I feel a need to change it up. And I now have a 2nd coworker interested in starting SBD, so that makes it even easier. There are a few WW members there too, so we've been trying to all encourage each other.

BIG storms coming our way here, so I'm going to sign off before the power goes out. I'll read by flashlight till bedtime.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi Gracie,
I used the SBD website and wouldnt recommend it. Its a waste of money. I was very successful just using the old book, and then found this forum a few years ago. Just gotta get my grove back. I mostly found myself using the site for the weight tracker, and then recently they changed the website and I found it very confusing to navigate. Not user friendly at all. But really, its a waste. Its also difficult to cancel to. I had to email customer service to do it.
When I look for recipes, I go to Kalyn's kitchen, way better than the boring stuff they had on the website as well
Stick with us and good luck!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips, buckhuntress! I don't really have extra $$$ to spend, and I can track my weight on a spreadsheet, so I won't bother.

Anybody else have a bad habit of stocking up on things you won't be able to eat for the next however-many days? Why on earth do I want to eat all the things that make me feel so lousy?

Tonight I'm going to make my grocery list for the next two weeks so that I'm ready to hit the store on Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to getting started!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Hi Gracie
Yes, I do the same thing. They say to go through the fridge and pantry and get rid of all the things you're not supposed to eat when you start SBD. It nearly kills me to throw away perfectly good food, just because it is not "Beachy". BUT, I have done it, and it is a sure fire way to make sure that the temptations are at a minimum. BUT STILL...My frugal soul revolts at the cost of pantry items I can't use. In my case, hubby is not actively on the diet, so most of that will not go to waste. Ah, well, the cost of losing weight!
Penny
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Well, Penny, I'll be doing that same thing. I live alone, so I don't have to keep anything in the house that's not on my plan. That helps!