Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
April on the Beach

The year is one-fourth over. How are we doing?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hello all!!

I was up a lb this morning. I did indulge in some Easter delicasies! In particular, one of my Mom's lemon squares. Yum. Hopefully that lb will be off by tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing?
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #3

I ate a boiled egg for breakfast. We won't talk about yesterday. It was the salt, I'm sure. Yeah, that's it, the salt.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I ate a boiled egg for breakfast. We won't talk about yesterday. It was the salt, I'm sure. Yeah, that's it, the salt.
Sure, it's definitely salt - me too. Not the champagne, dessert, 10 jelly beans, etc. that I had. Come to think of it, I am thrilled I was up a lb!!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Sure, it's definitely salt - me too. Not the champagne, dessert, 10 jelly beans, etc. that I had. Come to think of it, I am thrilled I was up a lb!!
Well it sure as heck wasn't the marshmallow egg!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well it sure as heck wasn't the marshmallow egg!
LOL, of course not
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Aren't eggs protein?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: Gluten Free South Beach + CC
Back on the Beach! Twenty two pounds heavier than when I stopped! Baby steps back!
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

WhooHoo. Michele is back. Take it easy on yourself. How is your son?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

My son is doing ok, but he has a very tough cancer and we found it after it had spread to other organs. He has been battling, but his attitude is very good.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh gosh, Michele, that is so tough. And by the way, I probably would have gained a ton in the same situation. Literally. We are very happy to have you back with us...

The good news? 23 nights without snacking!! The bad news? I fell off the "being OP wagon" on Easter and didn't really get back on until this morning. So, that 1 lb I gained went to 2 lbs. But I am gung ho and ready to be OP again.

I have every intention losing those 2 lbs by Friday morning. I think it was a lot of water weight due to salty foods (ham, beef and barley soup, etc.)

Tonight I am making a chicken, broccoli and mushroom casserole. Yum!!

2014 Running Miles: 125
2014 Walking Miles: 105
2014 Biking Miles: 286
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
My son is doing ok, but he has a very tough cancer and we found it after it had spread to other organs. He has been battling, but his attitude is very good.
We have you in our daily prayers.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Oh gosh, Michele, that is so tough. And by the way, I probably would have gained a ton in the same situation. Literally. We are very happy to have you back with us...

The good news? 23 nights without snacking!! The bad news? I fell off the "being OP wagon" on Easter and didn't really get back on until this morning. So, that 1 lb I gained went to 2 lbs. But I am gung ho and ready to be OP again.

I have every intention losing those 2 lbs by Friday morning. I think it was a lot of water weight due to salty foods (ham, beef and barley soup, etc.)

Tonight I am making a chicken, broccoli and mushroom casserole. Yum!!
Recipe? That would be good with tofu.

I just binged on roasted vegetables.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Recipe? That would be good with tofu.

I just binged on roasted vegetables.
I ended up not making this last night, I forgot my husband had a retirement dinner to go to. I will most likely make it tonight - no recipe of course. But I will write down what I do when I make it. But it consists of cooked shredded chicken, lightly steamed broccoli and sliced mushrooms, lite sour cream, RF cheddar jack, white wine, herbs and topped with some parm cheese. I bake it in the oven until the parm cheese starts to brown a little. Basically a Chicken Divan kind of thing but not nearly as much sauce/fat as the version my Mom used to make...

FYI. Scale moved back down. I did a Phase 1 day. I need to lose another 4/10s of a lb to get back to where I was last Friday. Should be gone by tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Hi! Found you guys!!

So today marks day 4 with me on the beach. I've been on it before with success. Today, however, I feel like I over did it on hummus and chickpeas. I feel bloated! Other than that, I'm still trucking! Do you guys post your daily meals?
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
Hi! Found you guys!!

So today marks day 4 with me on the beach. I've been on it before with success. Today, however, I feel like I over did it on hummus and chickpeas. I feel bloated! Other than that, I'm still trucking! Do you guys post your daily meals?
Sometimes we do. The regulars here have been around for years, so we don't need to post meals as much as we did at first. Wiz posts many of her wonderful concoctions. We can put up meals if it will help and of course, you can post your menus for feedback.

It's easy to overdo hummus.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #17
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

At Rose's request:

Tracy's Chicken Divan Casserole (My real first name )

2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
2 heads broccoli, chopped and steamed (or boiled or nuked, as you prefer)
8 oz mushrooms, sliced (you can pre-cook if you want, I like them firm)
1/3 cup RF cheddar jack cheese (or whatever RF cheese you have on hand)
1/3 cup lite sour cream
1/3 cup lite mayo
2 TB cooking wine (I like marsala in this, but sherry, white, etc. would be fine.)
2 teas dried herbs (I use 1 teas salt free garlic and herb mix, 1 teas dried thyme, but use whatever herbs you prefer.)
1/4 cup grated parm cheese

Grease a casserole dish (I use cooking spray), add in chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, cheddar cheese. In a glass measuring cup, stir together sour cream, mayo, wine, and herbs. (If you don't have wine on hand, you can use broth, etc. The liquid is meant to slightly thin the sauce.) Pour over casserole dish. Top with parm cheese. Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Cook in 325 degree oven for 40 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil for last 10 minutes.

Notes: This is meant to be a "light" version of the traditional Divan recipe. So it does not include a lot of sauce and cheese, you can adjust to fit your own liking. We're not big sauce people....
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

OK Veterans..

Day 5!

Still feeling soooo bloated today! Even my pants are snug. Dag nammit!

Anyway, maybe I'm not eating right. Can you guys take a look at my meal from yesterday? Thanks!! I was pretty hungry yesterday.

B - 1/4 cup of egg beaters florentine (this stuff is yummy!), 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans mixed with a tiny bit of spinach, tomatoes and feta. V-8 juice

S - 10 Blue Diamond Wassabi and Soy Sauce Almonds (so glad I'm finished the bag! Way too addictive!!)

L - 2 cups of salad mix, 1/4 cup of the garbanzo bean mixture above, 1/4 cup of feta, 5 large olives and fat free zesty italian dressing.

S - large celery stick, 1/4 cup of cucumber and individual serve hummus oh and sugar free hot chocolate

D - 1 cup of grilled chicken strips and 1 cup of Green giant brussel sprouts in butter sauce

S - Pickel spear, 3 large olives and my mock chocolate PB ice cream (1 s/f fudge pop, 1 Tbsp of natural chuncky PB and 2 Tbsp of light cool whip mixed together) cup of soy milk

Tons of water. Worked out at Curves and burnt 400 calories

CW: 157
GW: 140

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-05-2013 at 06:34 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
At Rose's request:

1/3 cup lite sour cream
1/3 cup lite mayo
2 TB cooking wine (I like marsala in this, but sherry, white, etc. would be fine.)
2 teas dried herbs (I use 1 teas salt free garlic and herb mix, 1 teas dried thyme, but use whatever herbs you prefer.)

Grease a casserole dish (I use cooking spray), add in chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, cheddar cheese. In a glass measuring cup, stir together sour cream, mayo, wine, and herbs. (If you don't have wine on hand, you can use broth, etc. The liquid is meant to slightly thin the sauce.) Pour over casserole dish. Top with parm cheese. Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Cook in 325 degree oven for 40 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil for last 10 minutes.

Notes: This is meant to be a "light" version of the traditional Divan recipe. So it does not include a lot of sauce and cheese, you can adjust to fit your own liking. We're not big sauce people....
YUM! Gonna make this!

Not to sound supid - but how do you shred chicken? lol.

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-05-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
YUM! Gonna make this!

Not to sound supid - but how do you shred chicken? lol.
There are no stupid questions around here!! In this case, I roasted some chicken breasts on the bone. Once they cooled after cooking, I hand shred the chicken from the breasts - you know how pulled pork looks? Long thin shreds? I do the same with the chicken. Tear it with the grain. But of course, you can always just cube it after cooking.

If using boneless breasts of chicken, I like to poach them. Put in pot, with just enough water to slightly cover, bring to boil, put lid on pot and turn off heat, let chicken sit for 10 to 15 minutes (or longer) depending on the size of the breasts. Then cool, you can shred or cube as needed. I like my chicken for salad made this way.

In looking at your menu, you eat a lot of things I don't! (pickles and olives LOL) But I think they have a lot of sodium in them, right? The nuts with that seasoning are also quite salty. Also, are you using RF feta? or regular? Regular is okay, but use less of it. I haven't used bottled salad dressing in 5 years. Between the sugar, sodium, etc. I prefer to just make my own or use olive oil and different vinegars. And finally, I am not big on eating frozen veggies with sauce on them. Go with the plain, and add a little seasoning of your own. Far less sodium that way.

Bottom line, I would check to see how much sodium you are ingesting. That may be the culprit for the bloating. Good luck to you!!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Day 5!

Still feeling soooo bloated today! Even my pants are snug. Dag nammit!

Anyway, maybe I'm not eating right. Can you guys take a look at my meal from yesterday? Thanks!! I was pretty hungry yesterday.

B - 1/4 cup of egg beaters florentine (this stuff is yummy!), 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans mixed with a tiny bit of spinach, tomatoes and feta. V-8 juice

S - 10 Blue Diamond Wassabi and Soy Sauce Almonds (so glad I'm finished the bag! Way too addictive!!)

L - 2 cups of salad mix, 1/4 cup of the garbanzo bean mixture above, 1/4 cup of feta, 5 large olives and fat free zesty italian dressing.

S - large celery stick, 1/4 cup of cucumber and individual serve hummus oh and sugar free hot chocolate

D - 1 cup of grilled chicken strips and 1 cup of Green giant brussel sprouts in butter sauce

S - Pickel spear, 3 large olives and my mock chocolate PB ice cream (1 s/f fudge pop, 1 Tbsp of natural chuncky PB and 2 Tbsp of light cool whip mixed together) cup of soy milk

Tons of water. Worked out at Curves and burnt 400 calories

CW: 157
GW: 140
It looks like you have made a good stab at this, but let's tweak a little. Agreeing with Wiz, just looking at this one day, it looks like the bloating problem is probably sodium.

A few other tweaks:

You are pretty heavy on beans for one day.

Look carefully at the ingredients of your choices. Wasabi almonds-most of those have MSG, do yours? And they have huge amounts of sodium. Look at the ingredients of FF salad dressing. You can make your own very easily with olive oil and vinegar, control the ingredients and get in good fat while you're at it. Look at the ingredients of the cool whip. Do you really want to be eating that? You would be better off with a couple of tablespoons of real whipped cream if you need it. What about the chicken strips, were they your own real chicken strips or were they out of a package and what what kind of injected solution or coating was involved? Those pre-sauced veggies usually have unwanted ingredients, so better to cook plain veggies and add your own dollop of butter or whatever.

Good on the water; keep drinking plenty and it will help flush the sodium. What else are you drinking?

I think you will be fine.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #22

Quote:
At Rose's request:

1/3 cup lite sour cream
1/3 cup lite mayo

Sounds delish! I can see this with some red bell peppers.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Sodium

Thanks for your replies and advice!!

I know for a fact I'm comsuming a lot of sodium as I belong to another forum that tracks your nutriental values and my sodium is always way over. I am a "salt aholic". But I have not been adding any since I started considering how much is already in the foods I've been consuming.

I'm also drinking green tea, kava tea and coffee daily

Almonds are gone and the beans are gone and I will not be bringing them back.

New dilema...I find myself going to the market daily now trying to keep on track by making sure I have plenty of "friendly" foods on hand. Spending a small fortune! But I want to make sure that especially for this first weekend, I have everything I need on hand - no excuses!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sounds delish! I can see this with some red bell peppers.
Now why didn't I think of that?? Good idea.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Dr. A says coconut oil is bad right? I see alot of hype around it. I use the extra virgin organic coconut oil on my hair and skin.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #26

He lumps coconut oil in with all the other saturated fats. I would love to sit down face to face with him sometimes and ask the hard questions. Sorry, Dr A, but coconut oil is not bad. I really wish that doctors had to go through some real nutrition training and just not parrot the party line.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Me too Rose!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

It was hard, but I manged to stay on the wagon this weekend! I'm still bloated a bit and am afraid to weigh myself out of fear I'll get discouraged. I know it's said that this is a way of life and that truthfully, it's how we all should be eating anyway. But I do want to lose some weight as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #29

Quote:
It was hard, but I manged to stay on the wagon this weekend! I'm still bloated a bit and am afraid to weigh myself out of fear I'll get discouraged. I know it's said that this is a way of life and that truthfully, it's how we all should be eating anyway. But I do want to lose some weight as well.
There are a few other things to consider. For instance, are you taking any kind of medication? Certain medications cause water retention, including NSAIDs. I would consider staying off the scale for a bit, maybe try on a pair of snug pants and watch them get looser.

Great work staying on plan over the weekend! Don't get discouraged; fat loss and scale weight don't necessarily correlate!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Rose. That makes me feel better (re fat loss versus scale weight).

No, I'm not on any medication. I think it's sodium. Between the V8 juice and some of the other foods I've been eating, I think may be contributing to it.

I ended up weighing myself at the gym today and low and behold, nothing lost. But nothing gained either which is also a plus. I'm just going to keep trucking.

Once again I stopped off at the supermarket on the way back from the gym. I bought some wild caugh salmon and asparagus. The family and I have been on an asparagus kick. Also bought some fresh spinach as that has been a hit as well.

I won't lie. I am disappointed to not have even lost a lb. Bummer.

As far as the snug pants are concerned, they were loose a week ago and are snug again... )o:

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-08-2013 at 10:38 AM..