Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #61
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Hi Beachers......I'm a SB Vet who has been refocusing the last few weeks.

Hi Rose, Wiz, Buckhuntress () and any newbies coming on board!

I stepped back with the advice of a nurse at work and tried a different way of eating for about 6 weeks. Granted she is a nurse, but doesn't know everything, and that way of eating wasn't for me.......I am happiest on the Beach - whether I am losing or just maintaining.

I find this a well balanced way of eating for me and feel the best physically when I am on board.

My favorite snacks lately have been the little orange and red sweet cherry tomatoes and the mini cukes cut up - I bring a baggie of those daily. Also I am a big fan of Edamame.

Good to see menu's too - although I don't post - I still get fresh ideas from everyone!

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Great to see you Radmom!

B 2 hard boiled eggs, V8

S non fat plain greek yogurt with equal

L green salad with tomatoes, turkey, and RF blue cheese dressing

S 1/4 unsalted nuts

D same as lunch

lots of water with lemon
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Hi everyone,
Back again. Ive been off the wagon and all out of sorts. Lots of big life changes...good and bad. But that usually means putting myself last...lol. My beloved kitty of 19 1/2 years went to Heaven on Friday, and now living the shock and horror of the explosions at the Boston Marathon here in MA. My work schedule is crazy the next week (double shifts, 12 hour shifts) but its time to refocus for sure. It truly helps with stress and its time to get back in control. I hardboiled eggs tonight, made a huge salad, and will post menus in the morning. Time to recommit and stop making excuses. Life is too short!
So sorry to hear about the stresses you are dealing with. And so sorry about the tragedy in MA.
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolyn8118
Start Date: 4/15/13
I am new to the beach. This is day 4. Believe it or not my biggest problem has been not putting half and half or creamer in my coffee. In almost cried this morning and this afternoon I broke down and put a little nondairy creamer in my afternoon cup. I am going to have to find a solution. Skim milk doesn't cut it in coffee.
carolyn8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #65
Queen Bargain Shopper

Welcome Carolyn!!

I know I shouldn't say this.......there are some things that I won't give up. I'd rather have some of something that alot of something that isn't good....does that make sense? I measure out a Tablespoon of half and half and that is all I use.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolyn8118
Start Date: 4/15/13
Thanks Cindy. Actually this morning I did that. Yesterday I decided if that was all I was really stressing about I would put just a tablespoon in my morning cup of coffee. I did not use any while at work because I don't have it there anyway. I would like to know if anyone knows about the starbucks skinny mocha latte. I asked what was in it and they said nonfat milk and sugar free syrup. That seemed ok to count as a milk since I just got the tall and it tasted great.
carolyn8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #67
Queen Bargain Shopper

Hi Carolyn - I am with you - if that's the worst thing I put in my mouth - I'm doing pretty good. I have done the skinny latte's, but not a fan of Starbucks sf mocha - it's bitter to me. Lately, I have been getting a soy latte with just a couple pumps of sf vanilla and it's quite satisfying!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #68
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hey Beachers!!

I am back from vacation...and will be back OP tomorrow. While I had a great week, I am ready to get back to my normal eating routine.

Hope all is well, I will catch up with everyone's posts tomorrow!
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

I just don't understand it! I'm still not losing! I thought the woman at the gym weighed me incorrectly but I finally got a replacement battery for my digital scale and low and behold, it said 157 this morning! So once again I have to change my profile back to my starting weight!

I've been living the SB life for 3 weeks now. I do realize that I've lost inches, but I contribute that to how hard I've been working out at the gym. Talk about discouraging...boo...
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

It's taken every ounce of my being not to eat a slice of the delicious looking cake sitting near my desk! What does it matter!? Encouragement please!!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Camille
WOE: South Beach Ph1
Start Date: Restarted April 22, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
It's taken every ounce of my being not to eat a slice of the delicious looking cake sitting near my desk! What does it matter!? Encouragement please!!
Step away from the cake - you will regret it tomorrow!

I was looking at the sodium counts from your earlier posts - that's a TON of sodium you're eating. We should be aiming to eat between 1000 and 1500mg of sodium per day, to an absolute maximum of 2300mg. Weight loss aside, the health risks of too much sodium make it worth our time to focus on reducing intake.

As for the weight loss, I struggle with losing weight in P1 as well. For me, I have to limit calories as well as carbs and sugars. I am trying to do this by do eating more veggies, although I really only get the suggested 2 cups per meal at dinner. I'm allergic to raw celery, cucumbers and green peppers give me heartburn, and I don't really like tomatoes (except with fresh mozzarella burrata, but that's not exactly OP!). Aside from red peppers, can anyone suggest something else I could eat with hummus as a P1 snack? I need more grab & go snacks, but I seem to have run out of ideas!
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #72
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I weighed into today after vacation and yes, the scale was up. But I had a good Phase 1 day yesterday and plan the same for today. I'll ease back into Phase 2 once I see a little movement on the scale...

Ray, I agree with Camille's assessment of your sodium intake. I would certainly be retaining water with that much salt. As I mentioned in an earlier post, lose the olives, nuts, pre-cooked/canned chicken, etc. Also, are you getting enough variety in what you eat? Maybe shake things up a little if you are eating the same stuff every day. And by the way, losing inches is awesome! After I stopped losing weight, I lost another whole dress size due to all the exercise I was doing and the healthy eating. The scale is not always your best friend!

Camille, I don't snack on a lot of raw veggies, except for carrots (phase 2) and grape tomatoes. I prefer roasted or grilled veggies, which can be eaten warm or chilled. Squash, peppers, onions, cauliflower, etc. I make big batches of them as my dinner veggie and then eat them as snacks or in an omelet the next day or two. I do keep sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil) around for snacking as well, both my husband and I find that 1 or 2 of them are quite satisfying - chewy and flavorful. I'm not sure if that really helps you or not!

Welcome Carolyn!!

Hope everyone has a great day ON THE BEACH

2014 Running Miles: 285
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=wiz;16388657]Ray, I agree with Camille's assessment of your sodium intake. I would certainly be retaining water with that much salt. As I mentioned in an earlier post, lose the olives, nuts, pre-cooked/canned chicken, etc. Also, are you getting enough variety in what you eat? Maybe shake things up a little if you are eating the same stuff every day. And by the way, losing inches is awesome! After I stopped losing weight, I lost another whole dress size due to all the exercise I was doing and the healthy eating. The scale is not always your best friend!QUOTE]

I have been doing the 2x to 3x daily ACV tonics, and have been peeing non-stop! So hopefully that will help with the sodium issue.

I am definetly noticing a difference in my body for the better. So I guess all in all, it is paying off. And yes, I'm actually wondering if it just that I have more muscle now.

PS: I didn't eat the cake! Talk about willpower! It smelled delicous!

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-23-2013 at 08:10 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RedRachel
Stats: 228/213.5/175
Start Date: April 2013
New Here!

I was looking for some support online for others doing SB and here I am! I read the whole thread, nice to meet everyone! Let me introduce myself.

My backstory:
My name is Rachel, 30 years old, 2 year old daughter, going through a divorce. Been on and off WW for yeeears. I've always had slow but steady success with WW, but after ballooning up this past year from the STRESS I figured it was time for a change. SB is...very difficult for me as I have always been addicted to the worst kind of carbs. Potato chips, fries, cupcakes, cookies, you name it. (THose must be bad words around here) I didn't eat much, but what I did eat was terrible for me.

Currently I am on day 16, just finished Phase 1. I am still doing Phase 1 as I am very happy with the results so far. (9lbs my first two weeks) The cravings are definitely getting better! But i fear they will never be totally gone. Not ready to introduce good carbs back yet, as I feel like I might just lose control. I still look at the goodies longingly as I did before. At least I've added walking to my evenings, at least 25 mins, which is more exercise than I've gotten in years.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting to know you all. Seems as thogh most of you are veteran's! Nice to know that it is a lifestyle that you can live with.
RedRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRachel View Post
I was looking for some support online for others doing SB and here I am! I read the whole thread, nice to meet everyone! Let me introduce myself.

My backstory:
My name is Rachel, 30 years old, 2 year old daughter, going through a divorce. Been on and off WW for yeeears. I've always had slow but steady success with WW, but after ballooning up this past year from the STRESS I figured it was time for a change. SB is...very difficult for me as I have always been addicted to the worst kind of carbs. Potato chips, fries, cupcakes, cookies, you name it. (THose must be bad words around here) I didn't eat much, but what I did eat was terrible for me.

Currently I am on day 16, just finished Phase 1. I am still doing Phase 1 as I am very happy with the results so far. (9lbs my first two weeks) The cravings are definitely getting better! But i fear they will never be totally gone. Not ready to introduce good carbs back yet, as I feel like I might just lose control. I still look at the goodies longingly as I did before. At least I've added walking to my evenings, at least 25 mins, which is more exercise than I've gotten in years.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting to know you all. Seems as thogh most of you are veteran's! Nice to know that it is a lifestyle that you can live with.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #76
Queen Bargain Shopper

Hi Rachel!
Welcome.
When I originally stated South Beach I went an extra week on P1.
I, like you was on WW for years - even went back a time or two within the years I have been a Beacher........I feel it was too easy to grab foods that weren't the best - even if they were "on plan".

Hang in there; it will get better - and remember; you are doing it for your daughter as well as yourself!!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #77
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Ray, check on this thread on the Main Lobby. You have some company in the "scale is not your friend" category . Seriously, others are going through the same issues you are.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, or why the scale doesn't tell the whole story

Welcome Rachel!! Like Cindy, I too was a former WW and had some good success there. I had a great leader for our group and learned some valuable eating tips/lessons I have been using for years now. Not the least of which was eat lots of fiber, read your labels, and drink water!!

I am back in my post-vacation groove! I just finished up two Phase 1 days, I'm running in the mornings, and the scale is inching back down.

Life is good on the Beach
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Hey Ray, check on this thread on the Main Lobby. You have some company in the "scale is not your friend" category . Seriously, others are going through the same issues you are.[
Wiz! You rock! Thanks so much for directing me there!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #79
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wiz! You rock! Thanks so much for directing me there!
I don't spend a lot of time in the Main Lobby, because most folks are doing Atkins but every once in a while I spot a good thread that applies to me (or you in this case!)

In fact, I am currently posting on a thread with a group of people who have issues with night-time snacking (me ) and it is very helpful to "chat" with others going through the same problems regardless of eating plan.

So Beachers, how is everyone doing this week?? Scale is still moving down for me, 2 lbs of vacation weight gone! Another lb to go.

I made my Turkey Meatloaf last night, it's one of my husband's faves. And it is Phase 1 friendly, of course. If you want to try it, search on this forum for Tracy's Turkey Meatloaf Provencale (FYI.Tracy is my real name! Wiz is the family nickname.)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

For me, my abs have completely transformed from a lumpy mess to a relatively flat smooth one. It's amazing. Scale down 1 lb. today. But I'm no longer going by it as much as I am on how I actually look. I work out doing circuit, so I'm pretty certain now that it's the muscle that's contributing to the scale not budging much. My thies are much more muscular now as well. I really wish I took before and after pics of my abs! And I need to get a measuring tape. Gym measures once a month. I am like 99.9% sure I've lost even more inches in my abs from a week ago.

In addition, I have been waking up pretty easily and having a little more pep in my step.

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-25-2013 at 06:28 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KYSoccerMom
Stats: Height: 5'0" Weight: 147.0/143.5/110.0
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restarted 3/9/14
Hello. This is my second go around with South Beach. I was on it last year for about 4 months and lost 17 lbs. Slowly but surely my bad eating habits crept back in and I have gained 15 of it back Gonna try to stay on track this time. I felt so good and energetic last year when I was on it. Just started Phase I today.
KYSoccerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in. Still struggling (shocking...I know...LOL) Time and meal planning is my biggest issue I think. And Im eating the same things all the time. Need to find a way to mix it up and get the scale moving again.
I think Im a little in a slump too from the Boston bombing. Its consuming everyone here...rightfully so. The officer killed was from my town, so things hit very close to home. Makes your reset your priorities.
I need some ideas for packed lunches for work. Something that doesnt need to be heated up. Any suggestions? Im forever packing salad with deli turkey and some RF cheese, or ordering out grilled chicken salad with feta. Im in a bad rut
Is rose MIA? Hope she is well and all the rest of the beachers!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #83
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Just checking in. Still struggling (shocking...I know...LOL) Time and meal planning is my biggest issue I think. And Im eating the same things all the time. Need to find a way to mix it up and get the scale moving again.
I think Im a little in a slump too from the Boston bombing. Its consuming everyone here...rightfully so. The officer killed was from my town, so things hit very close to home. Makes your reset your priorities.
I need some ideas for packed lunches for work. Something that doesnt need to be heated up. Any suggestions? Im forever packing salad with deli turkey and some RF cheese, or ordering out grilled chicken salad with feta. Im in a bad rut
Is rose MIA? Hope she is well and all the rest of the beachers!
I know what you mean about the bombing, we went through a similar stretch (and are still going through it 6 months later...) with Hurricane Sandy. It just disrupts everything - your life, your thought processes, your value system. Don't underestimate the impact an event like this has on you. Hang in there!

I tried this dry rub this week on boneless pork chops. It made a great dinner, but better yet was super sliced up on my lunch salads. It made a nice change from chicken or tuna.

2 TB ground cumin
1 TB chili powder
1 teas garlic powder
1 teas paprika
1/2 teas allspice
1/2 teas black pepper

4 to 6 boneless pork chops

I stirred this together and put it in a plastic bag, then I put each boneless pork chop in and shook the bag to coat (like the old Shake and Bake!) My husband grilled them and they were great. I am sure you could bake them too. Slightly spicy and still juicy inside. FYI. The recipe included 2 teas ground coriander. I didn't have any and obviously didn't miss it.

Welcome Debbie!! Best of luck to you. Let us know any questions you may have.

And Ray, that is awesome about your abs!! and the 1 lb loss too. Just keep plugging away.

Hey Rose, we miss you. Hope all is well...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Weighed myself this morning! Down 3 lbs! Woo-hoo! NOW I'm going to change my stats.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I had a really good day yesterday....down a pound from yesterday and already feeling more energetic.

B: 2 fried eggs
1 cup milk

L: chicken breasts w/pepperjack cheese & spinach (so yummy)
mixed vegetables

D: fried pork chops
baked asparagus

** and of course lots of water
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #86
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Weighed myself this morning! Down 3 lbs! Woo-hoo! NOW I'm going to change my stats.
VERY Happy for you!!

Debbie, you are doing well, keep up the great work!!

FYI. I am heading off on a business trip, back later this week. I will check in when I can. I love that I am taking a train, no airport hassles!! Weekend eating was so-so. I indulged in pizza Saturday night

Have a good week Beachers!!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Posting my menus, trying again here with phase 1. Kinda boring, Im using up leftovers

B vegetable, ham, swiss crustless quiche

S non fat plain greek yogurt with equal

L mixed greens, tomato, black olives, turkey breast, swiss, RF dressing

D tossed salad with left over marinated sirloin tips

had coffee with skim milk and equal this morning, water with lemon the rest of the day.

Gonna talk a nice walk this evening with my daughter
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Wiz--have a great trip.

Buckhuntress--I too have started on Phase I last Thursday. The main thing I hate about Phase I is no fruit (love my fruit!)

I had a pretty good weekend. The weight is coming off faster this time on Phase I then it did last July when I was on it. I am down 5.8 lbs so far and it hasn't been a week (I only lost 7 the whole 2 weeks last time.)
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Hey SoccerMom,

The first time I did phase 1 I lost 8 lbs at the end of the two weeks. The second time I only lost 3. I havent been focused enough to stay back on it since then. Trying again...

B left over veggie and ham crustless quiche

S non fat plain yogurt with equal

L salad with grilled chicken breast, cheese, and dressing

D salad with a leftover burger crumbled on it and rf blue cheese dressing.

I think I eat too much dairy

Miss you rose!

Enjoy your trip wiz!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #90
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Back from NYC...and up 1 lb. But that's what happens when you are eating all your meals in restaurants for a couple days in a row.

I did get in some great runs along the Hudson River in the mornings. There is a super jog/bike path there with lots to look at...the Intrepid, cruise boats, Riverside Park with the sculpture gardens, etc.

No word from Rose yet? Hmmm...I hope everything is okay.

If we don't hear from her today, I will start a May check-in thread for us...