Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
LJ
Senior LCF Member
 
LJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 219
Gallery: LJ
Stats: 156/156/140 5ft3
WOE: south beach
Start Date: RESTARTED 04/06/13
hello! I started Saturday and feeling good

Low carb has been my woe for so long, I love it. When my thyroid went hypo a few years ago, lc was my saving grace. I never really left the woe completely, but I need to reboot. Carb creep has reached it's limit. It's amazing how fast you start feeling better.

I would love to lose 10lbs, more even better.

maybe posting what I am eating here will help me get/stay on track

yesterday:

breakfast,
couple eggs scrambled, spicy v8 juice, sodium is a little high in the spicy but I sacrifice in other places)

snack,
rf mozzarella stick, approx 20 unsalted roasted nuts in shell

lunch,
sauteed chicken breast with olive oil italian seasoning (grinders)
lettuce and one tbsp wishbone robusto italian

snack,
two rf mozzarella sticks

dinner,
sauteed chicken breast with olive oil italian seasoning (grinders)
sauteed asparagus, a good amount, 12 spears maybe.

dessert,
maybe 1/2 cup part skim ricotta with cocoa powder and sweet and low, was not so good but I could not recall the recipe and cannot find my book, it IS here somewhere, been looking for three days lol.

i feel like I need to find a veggie go-to snack that I like, Not broccoli, got burned out on it. maybe celery? I have been eating too many cheese sticks- not yesterday but over the weekend. It's the easy thing to grab and run when busy.

Alisa
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
Thanks Rose. That makes me feel better (re fat loss versus scale weight).

No, I'm not on any medication. I think it's sodium. Between the V8 juice and some of the other foods I've been eating, I think may be contributing to it.

I ended up weighing myself at the gym today and low and behold, nothing lost. But nothing gained either which is also a plus. I'm just going to keep trucking.

Once again I stopped off at the supermarket on the way back from the gym. I bought some wild caugh salmon and asparagus. The family and I have been on an asparagus kick. Also bought some fresh spinach as that has been a hit as well.

I won't lie. I am disappointed to not have even lost a lb. Bummer.

As far as the snug pants are concerned, they were loose a week ago and are snug again... )o:
That has to be bloat. When that goes, it will take pounds with it. I love V-8. I buy the small cans, low sodium variety and have maybe one a week or so, since they are so convenient to grab in the morning when I need to take breakfast with me.

Where do you live in NJ? DD has gone the past two summers for internships and she is going again this summer. She really loves it there.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
LJ
Senior LCF Member
 
LJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 219
Gallery: LJ
Stats: 156/156/140 5ft3
WOE: south beach
Start Date: RESTARTED 04/06/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
Thanks Rose. That makes me feel better (re fat loss versus scale weight).

No, I'm not on any medication. I think it's sodium. Between the V8 juice and some of the other foods I've been eating, I think may be contributing to it.

I ended up weighing myself at the gym today and low and behold, nothing lost. But nothing gained either which is also a plus. I'm just going to keep trucking.

Once again I stopped off at the supermarket on the way back from the gym. I bought some wild caugh salmon and asparagus. The family and I have been on an asparagus kick. Also bought some fresh spinach as that has been a hit as well.

I won't lie. I am disappointed to not have even lost a lb. Bummer.

As far as the snug pants are concerned, they were loose a week ago and are snug again... )o:

hi there, we have a couple things in common, loving v8 juice, loving the asparagus lately, just bought canned salmon to put in my scrambled eggs, we are same weight, started at the same time, and last but not least "snug pants" haha!

too many similarities not to say hello
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ View Post
hello! I started Saturday and feeling good

Low carb has been my woe for so long, I love it. When my thyroid went hypo a few years ago, lc was my saving grace. I never really left the woe completely, but I need to reboot. Carb creep has reached it's limit. It's amazing how fast you start feeling better.

I would love to lose 10lbs, more even better.

maybe posting what I am eating here will help me get/stay on track

yesterday:

breakfast,
couple eggs scrambled, spicy v8 juice, sodium is a little high in the spicy but I sacrifice in other places)

snack,
rf mozzarella stick, approx 20 unsalted roasted nuts in shell

lunch,
sauteed chicken breast with olive oil italian seasoning (grinders)
lettuce and one tbsp wishbone robusto italian

snack,
two rf mozzarella sticks

dinner,
sauteed chicken breast with olive oil italian seasoning (grinders)
sauteed asparagus, a good amount, 12 spears maybe.

dessert,
maybe 1/2 cup part skim ricotta with cocoa powder and sweet and low, was not so good but I could not recall the recipe and cannot find my book, it IS here somewhere, been looking for three days lol.

i feel like I need to find a veggie go-to snack that I like, Not broccoli, got burned out on it. maybe celery? I have been eating too many cheese sticks- not yesterday but over the weekend. It's the easy thing to grab and run when busy.

Alisa
Alisa!

That ricotta recipe is just mix everything up and eat it. Not much to it. I prefer to mix the cheese with a beaten egg and whatever flavoring I want and bake it. That takes the raw taste out of the cheese and seems to allow the flavors to blend better.

For veggie snacks, I keep cut up cucumbers, green peppers, radishes, grape tomatoes, etc in a container and grab a few. Lately, I've been strung out on roasted vegetables, roasting two huge pans of various vegetable and eating on them until they're gone. I even love them cold.

We all know about carb creeep.
__________________
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
If you're Knitting, you're not Eating!

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Yeah!!

Hi LJ!!! It's nice to have someone so close to where I am in terms of weight and starting date! Yeah, I got a case of the V8 juice. Love it! I only wish where I got it from had low sodium.

Here are my meal today:

B - 2 egg beaters florentine (cooked in muffin tins) and 16 oz of coffee with truvia and powdered creamer (keep forgetting to put the darn soy milk in it!!)

S - v8 juice

L - Cup of tuna salad made with onion, celery and 2 tbsp of light mayo, large celery stick to eat it with and two pickel spears

S - Celery and cucumbers and a sugar free Russel Stove toffee candy

D - Broiled salmon with butter and lemon, asparagus and fresh spinach

D - Mock Ice cream and a cup of soy milk. I keep forgetting about diary!!

Rose I live in Gloucester County
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
LJ
Senior LCF Member
 
LJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 219
Gallery: LJ
Stats: 156/156/140 5ft3
WOE: south beach
Start Date: RESTARTED 04/06/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Alisa!

That ricotta recipe is just mix everything up and eat it. Not much to it. I prefer to mix the cheese with a beaten egg and whatever flavoring I want and bake it. That takes the raw taste out of the cheese and seems to allow the flavors to blend better.

For veggie snacks, I keep cut up cucumbers, green peppers, radishes, grape tomatoes, etc in a container and grab a few. Lately, I've been strung out on roasted vegetables, roasting two huge pans of various vegetable and eating on them until they're gone. I even love them cold.

We all know about carb creeep.
hi Rose, those roast veggies sound perfect, exactly what I need. Adding onion, peppers, whole mushrooms, zucchini to my grocery list, Thanks!

i never heard of adding the egg and baking, will try that.

Last edited by LJ; 04-08-2013 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: typo
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Gallery: ajk915
Hello. I'm new to the group and to the SB diet. My husband and I tried it a few years ago and it didn't last for us. we are now determined to lose weight. So, we are on day 3 and I am feeling a little discouraged because I weighed myself and only down 1 pound while my husband is down like 5!!!! I am doing well with my food and I even started doing a exercise video. my whole life style is different, I even stopped caffeine. I think we need to get the newer version of the book, we have the 2003 one, since it seems the food guidelines are better. I'm a very picky eater. is there any smoothie recipes for phase 1? I just can't eat eggs every morning and I'm not a fan of v8. Also, are the Adkins Advantage protein drinks ok for this phase? sorry for the book, I'm just confused and I really want to be successful this time around.

cw 182
gw 150 ( for now)
thank you,
ajk915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk915 View Post
Hello. I'm new to the group and to the SB diet. My husband and I tried it a few years ago and it didn't last for us. we are now determined to lose weight. So, we are on day 3 and I am feeling a little discouraged because I weighed myself and only down 1 pound while my husband is down like 5!!!! I am doing well with my food and I even started doing a exercise video. my whole life style is different, I even stopped caffeine. I think we need to get the newer version of the book, we have the 2003 one, since it seems the food guidelines are better. I'm a very picky eater. is there any smoothie recipes for phase 1? I just can't eat eggs every morning and I'm not a fan of v8. Also, are the Adkins Advantage protein drinks ok for this phase? sorry for the book, I'm just confused and I really want to be successful this time around.

cw 182
gw 150 ( for now)
thank you,
back.


First, DO NOT EVER COMPARE YOUR WEIGHT LOSS TO A MAN'S. They lose weight faster and much more easily than we do, it's not fair, but it's true. Don't even keep track of how much he loses. You'll drive yourself crazy.

Next, don't worry about how many pounds you lose in how many days. Many, many things factor into scale pounds. It's nothing to stress over so early. If you are doing well with your food, don't sweat it.

Why didn't it last for you last time?

Smoothies. You could make a green smoothie, blending green leafies into yogurt. You don't have to eat eggs for breakfast; breakfast can be leftover dinner or whatever you want. I'm not a fan of the Atkins shakes ( or any other commercial shake ) at any point. Too many chemicals and too many stories of people not being able to lose while drinking them.

The book you have is fine to use, not that much changed. If you could find a used copy at Goodwill or something, then get it.

What do you mean about being a picky eater? Are there just a few things that you like or do you need more interesting things to eat? For example, my DD has to have something "interesting" whereas I could eat the same things every day without complaining.

Stick around here, post your menus if you like, ask questions, chit-chat. We're all in this together.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Not happy.

So I am on day 10 and have not lost 1 lb. I have stuck to the plan to the tee too. If anything, my stomach is looks bigger! I'm not at all happy. I don't think this is going to work for me. I'm really bumming. My clothes feel tighter! I've even been working out more. WTH!
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Gallery: ajk915
Thank you for your reply, I know i shouldn't compare my weight loss to my husbands, it just really gets to me...lol. What I meant by being a picky eater is, I don't care for ricotta cheese (texture thing), I don't like most fish, and peppers aren't my thing. It seems most of the receipes for breakfast are egg based with peppers. I have been doing a lot of looking online today for other options and I am excited to see that I can make chili with beans on phase 1.

I think my husband and I failed the first time around because we had a young baby at home and not enough time to search for better receipes to replace our usual "unhealthy" food choices.

Do you have a link to the green smoothie receipe, i'm very interested in that! The one I had heard of before has fruit in it so I can't use it. I'm so glad I found this forum, this may be just what i need to get me healthier! Thank you.
ajk915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
Not happy.

So I am on day 10 and have not lost 1 lb. I have stuck to the plan to the tee too. If anything, my stomach is looks bigger! I'm not at all happy. I don't think this is going to work for me. I'm really bumming. My clothes feel tighter! I've even been working out more. WTH!
Post your menus and let's take a look. Are you having hormonal issues maybe?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk915 View Post
Thank you for your reply, I know i shouldn't compare my weight loss to my husbands, it just really gets to me...lol. What I meant by being a picky eater is, I don't care for ricotta cheese (texture thing), I don't like most fish, and peppers aren't my thing. It seems most of the receipes for breakfast are egg based with peppers. I have been doing a lot of looking online today for other options and I am excited to see that I can make chili with beans on phase 1.

I think my husband and I failed the first time around because we had a young baby at home and not enough time to search for better receipes to replace our usual "unhealthy" food choices.

Do you have a link to the green smoothie receipe, i'm very interested in that! The one I had heard of before has fruit in it so I can't use it. I'm so glad I found this forum, this may be just what i need to get me healthier! Thank you.

Normally the smoothies would include some fruit for sweetness, but it works fine to put several handfuls of torn green thing in the blender with enough yogurt to make it as soupy as you want. Use a blend or romaine, spinach, kale, etc. It's also good with coconut water. Basically, you're making raw green soup.


I don't eat fish either. I don't like raw ricotta texture-wise and you sure don't have to eat peppers. It doesn't sound like you are that picky.

This morning I ate cottage cheese and grape tomatoes for breakfast. What about egg salad? Do you like that? What about tuna salad or chicken salad? Who says you can't eat that for breakfast?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Menu from Yesterday

Breakfast - Two eggs with two jimmy dean sausage patties and 1 cup of soy milk (up until than I was only have egg beaters and occassional sausage)
S - V8 juice
L - Salad blend mixed with spinach leaves with 1/4 cup of low fat feta, 4 large olives and 1 tbps of EVOO with apple cider vinegar
D - All natural grilled chicken strips with hot sauce and 1 tbsp of blue cheese dressing and 5 stalks of asparagus
S - Fudge pop mixed with cool whip and 1 sugar free Russel Stover candy 1 cup of soy milk when I stop at store



As a matter of fact, yes, I do have TOM that began today. Hopeful that is the culprit. Fricken better be!! Grrr...yup... definetly TOM! lol! Mood is NOT good.

B - 1/2 cup of egg beater florentine
S - V-8 juice
L - Big salad mixed with spinach, low fat feta, can of tuna in water, 6 large olives and EVOO and vinegar
S - 1 s/f Russell Stover Candy
D - Same as yesterday
S - Fudge pop

Worked out burning 400 calories

PS: Love the little smiley attachment. Very cute and made me smile. Thank you!

PSS: Ran out of soy milk. Picking some up on way home along with beans. Just gonna do the beans in moderation.

Should I just go to P2? I don't have cravings.

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-10-2013 at 01:12 PM..
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Here's what I would do. Give up the soy milk. There is too much evidence that soy can play havoc with your hormones for me to be comfortable with it. (Fermented soy such as tempeh, natto, fermented sprouted tofu is fine.)

Give up the candy, fudge pops (there is solid research showing that just the taste of sweet provokes an insulin response even if there are no calories involved ) and don't ever buy Cool Whip again, that stuff is full of nasties.

I would add a string cheese or Laughing Cow wedge to the V-8 for snacks to help keep blood sugar levels steady.

You look just a touch light on vegetables. I would have an additional vegetable at dinner. 5 asparagus spears isn't much.

I would go ahead and move to phase 2 when you are ready. I wouldn't add grains, but would start with some berries, then add a starchy vegetable like a very small sweet potato or some rutabaga and see how it goes. I certainly wouldn't follow the book as to what to add in when if I were you. Take it really slow. Let's see what happens in a few days.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #45
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 3,604
Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hello all!

I've been a bit MIA this week...work has been nuts.

Welcome AJK!! I do like peppers, but it's easy to work around them. I like to make "quiche" for breakfast and have it for a couple of days. Line a pie plate with cooking spray, put a "crust" of shredded RF fat cheese to cover the bottom of the plate (Skim Mozz is fine, or whatever you have at hand. I then add some chopped veggies. I like sun dried tomatoes (not in oil) and artichokes (from the can is fine, if using the marinated - rinse and drain.) Then I layer a 10-oz box of chopped spinach (thawed and drained of all moisture). Top with beaten eggs (5 or 6) or egg beaters. Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes.

Geez, Ray, I would be frustrated too. Hang in there. As Rose said, I would up the veggies. I would also take a look at those sausage patties you mention, what is the fat/sodium content on those? And I don't know about you, but ToM wreaks havoc with my body. I swear I can only lose weight 2 weeks out of every month! The week before ToM I swell up like a balloon and the week of is no better...

Tonight's dinner is all set to go: I am marinating chicken tenders (only 2.49 a lb this week...) in my Jamaican Jerk sauce. (You can find it in the SBD recipes thread.) We'll grill those. And I made a batch of home-made coleslaw. FYI. I love coleslaw but store-bought and restaurant versions are loaded with fat and even worse - sugar. Definitely something to make at home...

All, I leave on vacation this weekend - Mexico!! So you may not hear from me much in the next week, I am TRYING to swear off electronics while gone. Work has been so all-consuming and I need a break from everything...
__________________
2014 is a new chapter in my journey...I am eager to embrace the changes coming my way and make it work.

2014 Running Miles: 224
2014 Walking Miles: 214
2014 Biking Miles: 380
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Hello all!

I've been a bit MIA this week...work has been nuts.

Welcome AJK!! I do like peppers, but it's easy to work around them. I like to make "quiche" for breakfast and have it for a couple of days. Line a pie plate with cooking spray, put a "crust" of shredded RF fat cheese to cover the bottom of the plate (Skim Mozz is fine, or whatever you have at hand. I then add some chopped veggies. I like sun dried tomatoes (not in oil) and artichokes (from the can is fine, if using the marinated - rinse and drain.) Then I layer a 10-oz box of chopped spinach (thawed and drained of all moisture). Top with beaten eggs (5 or 6) or egg beaters. Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes.

Geez, Ray, I would be frustrated too. Hang in there. As Rose said, I would up the veggies. I would also take a look at those sausage patties you mention, what is the fat/sodium content on those? And I don't know about you, but ToM wreaks havoc with my body. I swear I can only lose weight 2 weeks out of every month! The week before ToM I swell up like a balloon and the week of is no better...

Tonight's dinner is all set to go: I am marinating chicken tenders (only 2.49 a lb this week...) in my Jamaican Jerk sauce. (You can find it in the SBD recipes thread.) We'll grill those. And I made a batch of home-made coleslaw. FYI. I love coleslaw but store-bought and restaurant versions are loaded with fat and even worse - sugar. Definitely something to make at home...

All, I leave on vacation this weekend - Mexico!! So you may not hear from me much in the next week, I am TRYING to swear off electronics while gone. Work has been so all-consuming and I need a break from everything...
Have a wonderful trip....lucky!!!
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Gallery: ajk915
Thank you for the tips! I'm trying to do this right, we will see when I weight myself again in a few days. Thanks ladies.
ajk915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Gallery: leslie2013
WOE: South Beach/LowCarbs
Start Date: 04/11/2013
Hi Rose,

I found the thread. Thank you for the invite. I started SB on 4/9/13 and I lost 5lbs thus far and I am super excited. I thought Phase I was going to be bad but it's not. I am super excited.
leslie2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Do any of you think it's advisable to take a water pill? I just cannot understand why I haven't shed so much as an ounce since I've been doing this (Day 11 here). I do have "aunt flo", so it could very well be water weight. I belong to caloriecount.com, and I see that I am consuming over 4,000 grams of sodium as well! Not intentionally. Just naturally from the foods I'm eating. Should I try the water pills for a day? I know it will only be water weight loss. But I feel bloated and icky.
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!
 
rose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 26,447
Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
Do any of you think it's advisable to take a water pill? I just cannot understand why I haven't shed so much as an ounce since I've been doing this (Day 11 here). I do have "aunt flo", so it could very well be water weight. I belong to caloriecount.com, and I see that I am consuming over 4,000 grams of sodium as well! Not intentionally. Just naturally from the foods I'm eating. Should I try the water pills for a day? I know it will only be water weight loss. But I feel bloated and icky.
Prescription pills or over the counter? You could try eating lots and lots of celery and parsley and drinking lots and lots of water. That might get things moving. I can't see that a pill would hurt anything short term. Feeling bloated is really uncomfortable, I know.

Can you give me the sodium counts for the foods you are eating ? 4000 mg sounds like a lot for the menus you have posted. Where is it all coming from?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #51
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 3,604
Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
Do any of you think it's advisable to take a water pill? I just cannot understand why I haven't shed so much as an ounce since I've been doing this (Day 11 here). I do have "aunt flo", so it could very well be water weight. I belong to caloriecount.com, and I see that I am consuming over 4,000 grams of sodium as well! Not intentionally. Just naturally from the foods I'm eating. Should I try the water pills for a day? I know it will only be water weight loss. But I feel bloated and icky.
I've never taken a water pill before, so I cannot really advise you from personal experience. Sorry.

Here's what I do know, lowering sodium is extremely important. When my MiL was living with us and on kidney dialysis, we became extremely conscious of sodium intake because I was cooking for her. Check on things like those olives, sausage patties, bottled dressing, etc. Also, do you grill the chicken yourself or buy it? I would go through all the labels of the foods you typically eat and figure out where those 4000 grams are coming from. Then try to reduce it where you can.

And seriously, until ToM is over - I wouldn't stress too much. I bet you will see a whoooosh on the scale afterwards!! And I don't know how much you have to lose, but if it isn't very many lbs (say 20 or under) it will come off a lot slower than someone who wants to lose much more than that.

How's everybody else doing this week?? All I can say is TGIF!!

I will check back in after vacation...
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
I will post the foods that have the most sodium. For the record, I only ate those sausages once. Not a regular thing for me.

Olives = 330
RF feta = 420
ff dressing = 645
Canned chicken = 392
chicken strips = 667
Blue cheese dressing = 120

I'm 5'6" and weight 157. So I have about 15/20 lbs to lose.
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2
Gallery: bellinabambina
Stats: 5'5" - 182/174/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: March 18, 2013
Good morning. This is my first post. I wanted to join everyone! My name is Holly, and I live in Toronto, ON. I have 2 daughters (one is just 8 months old, so I am trying to shed the baby weight!) I was on Atkins 12 years ago and lost 50 pounds in 5 months. Well, I gained a lot of it back due to having 2 kids since. I love South Beach as I find it less restrictive and on the leaner side. I've been doing it for 3.5 weeks now and am already down 8 pounds. I feel great and never hungry. I have 24 more to goal until I reach goal. I want to make this my forever way of eating though, I don't want to look at it like a "diet". The exercise that I get in, is walking 100 minutes 3 times per week when I walk my daughter to and from school. That is about 550 calories burned each day I walk. Not too shabby.

Anyway, hello everyone! Enjoy your day and weekend!
bellinabambina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellinabambina View Post
Good morning. This is my first post. I wanted to join everyone! My name is Holly, and I live in Toronto, ON. I have 2 daughters (one is just 8 months old, so I am trying to shed the baby weight!) I was on Atkins 12 years ago and lost 50 pounds in 5 months. Well, I gained a lot of it back due to having 2 kids since. I love South Beach as I find it less restrictive and on the leaner side. I've been doing it for 3.5 weeks now and am already down 8 pounds. I feel great and never hungry. I have 24 more to goal until I reach goal. I want to make this my forever way of eating though, I don't want to look at it like a "diet". The exercise that I get in, is walking 100 minutes 3 times per week when I walk my daughter to and from school. That is about 550 calories burned each day I walk. Not too shabby.

Anyway, hello everyone! Enjoy your day and weekend!
Hi Bellina! And welcome!
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
I'm very proud of myself for sticking to plan this weekend. Today marks two weeks. So after today, induction is over. TOM is still upon me, but I may weigh myself at the gym this afternoon. I did decided to take water pills over the weekend for bloat. Not sure it made a difference. Clothes feel the same.

Saturday night I included a baked sweet potato to my dinner. Yummy! So hopefully the scale moved down some. I will post my meals from Saturday to yesteday for the heck of it.

Saturday

B - 2 fried eggs, 2 strips of regular bacon. 1/2 of a ww sarah lee whole wheat bun thins, 1 tsp of ICBINB and 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (love that stuff! First time trying it!)

L - V8 (I was on the run and didn't have time for anything else)

D - Went to Golden Corral with my family. Had 2 oz of steak, 1 small piece of broiled flounder, baked sweet potato with butter, salad with crumbled egg, spinach, sliced black olives and blue cheese dressing. 2 unsweetened iced teas

S - 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 tpbs of natural peanut butter and 1 tpbs of unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with....light cool whip. It's almost gone!

1 probiotic supplement
1 rounded tsp o sugar free orange metamucil (TMI alert: between the two, I've never ever been more regular! Use to go literally once a week! Now every day. So hopefully this will help things)

Sunday

B/L (got up late) - 2 egg omelet with 1 slice of naturally slender american cheese, 2 cups of coffee with Truvia and 1/4 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 3 slices of bacon

S - cucumber slices and celery dipped in individual serve hummus

D - Meatloaf (15% fat ground beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of 2% milk, onions, onion powder, salt and pepper and about 1/4 cup of huntz tomato sauce on top), 1 cup of brussel sprouts with ICBINB

S - 1 cup of the almond milk, 1 sf fudge pop, 2 tbs of....light cool whip, 2 tpsp of natual pb and 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder

Buying a ton of sweet pototoes for the week. Love them!!

1 probitioc supp., 1 tsp of s/f orange metamucil, 32 oz of water and did heavy yard work. According to caloriecount.com, 500 calories worth!

Not sure if you all run into this, but I HATE it when people, in my case family when we went out of dinner, make comments about the foods I'm NOT eating (as they load up on fried foods, cookies and cakes). WTH is up with that? Leave me alone! I'm trying to be healthy! Ugh! Hate that!!

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-15-2013 at 07:43 AM..
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 98
Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: February 13 2013
Hi all! I'm still in a bit of a stall over here. Weight just fell off me since I started in mid-Feb, but since April 1st, I've only lost like 2-2.5 pounds. I am doing an extended phase 1 since I have a lot to lose. Should I move to phase 2 or keep on going as i have been and see if I start losing again? My trainer asked me to add a sweet potato and brown rice. Basically I think I'm afraid to move to phase 2 and stop losing. Any suggestions or advice to share?
__________________
celebrating losing 50 pounds in about 4 1/2 months! 30 left to go.

Starting Weight: 240
Goal #1: 213 - met 3/26
Goal #2: 200 - met 5/4
Half way there - rejoined onederland 6/3!
Goal #3: 190 - met 7/2
Goal #4: 180
Goal #5: 170
Goal #6: 160
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spod View Post
Hi all! I'm still in a bit of a stall over here. Weight just fell off me since I started in mid-Feb, but since April 1st, I've only lost like 2-2.5 pounds. I am doing an extended phase 1 since I have a lot to lose. Should I move to phase 2 or keep on going as i have been and see if I start losing again? My trainer asked me to add a sweet potato and brown rice. Basically I think I'm afraid to move to phase 2 and stop losing. Any suggestions or advice to share?
From what I've read, and from past experience, phase 2 is the true weight loss phase. Especially when you are at a stall. Phase 1 is used to get rid of cravings for bad carbs. Sure a lot of people lose weight on that phase because they are making a big change to their daily diet. But I would say go to P2 nice and slow. Add the baked potato and add a little whole grain rice here and there and monitor your weight. I'm doing that as well.

Since I don't have much to lose, I wasn't very successful in P1. I'm thinking it's because I'm not eating enough of even the stuff we are permitted to or something (couldn't even get up to 2,000 calories!). So P2 may be my kick start. It was the last time I did this.

Last edited by raytamtay3; 04-16-2013 at 06:52 AM..
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 98
Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: February 13 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytamtay3 View Post
From what I've read, and from past experience, phase 2 is the true weight loss phase. Especially when you are at a stall. Phase 1 is used to get rid of cravings for bad carbs. Sure a lot of people lose weight on that phase because they are making a big change to their daily diet. But I would say go to P2 nice and slow. Add the baked potato and add a little whole grain rice here and there and monitor your weight. I'm doing that as well.

Since I don't have much to lose, I wasn't very successful in P1. I'm thinking it's because I'm not eating enough of even the stuff we are permitted to or something (couldn't even get up to 2,000 calories!). So P2 may be my kick start. It was the last time I did this.
Thanks for the feedback! I am really afraid to move on to phase 2, but I know I really should. I'm going to end out this week on phase 1 and start phase 2 on Monday. Totally scary!! I'll report back with how it goes.
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member
 
raytamtay3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 225
Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 157.2 - 151.8 - CW: 150 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spod View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I am really afraid to move on to phase 2, but I know I really should. I'm going to end out this week on phase 1 and start phase 2 on Monday. Totally scary!! I'll report back with how it goes.
A lot of people are afraid to move on after such success.

The scale FINALLY moved for me! I went to the gym today and lost 3 lbs. lol. Wow...3 whole pounds after two weeks of P1...oh well. Better than nothing right? I'm hopeful it's fat loss and not water after all that hard work! That is why I'm definetly moving to P2. Somethings gotta give.

I actually can't wait to stop at the supermarket tonight to stock up on sweet potatoes! love them!
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 298
Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi everyone,
Back again. Ive been off the wagon and all out of sorts. Lots of big life changes...good and bad. But that usually means putting myself last...lol. My beloved kitty of 19 1/2 years went to Heaven on Friday, and now living the shock and horror of the explosions at the Boston Marathon here in MA. My work schedule is crazy the next week (double shifts, 12 hour shifts) but its time to refocus for sure. It truly helps with stress and its time to get back in control. I hardboiled eggs tonight, made a huge salad, and will post menus in the morning. Time to recommit and stop making excuses. Life is too short!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.