Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Spring is just around the corner!

Short sleeve weather is coming. No more hiding in bulky sweaters!

Get out those hand weights that have been hiding in the cupboard behind the exercise DVDs.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post

Get out those hand weights that have been hiding in the cupboard behind the exercise DVDs.
As a Pennsylvania girl, we are always excited when Punxutawney Phil (the Ground Hog!) predicts an early Spring.

Another snowy night here...
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopeful13
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:

So pretty!

January I am -10 pounds!! Hoping for another -10 in February!!! Except I made cookies today...
But that's okay, tomorrow is another day. Good luck everyone we can do this
Hopeful13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful13 View Post
So pretty!

January I am -10 pounds!! Hoping for another -10 in February!!! Except I made cookies today...
But that's okay, tomorrow is another day. Good luck everyone we can do this
Don't eat them. Make those SB peanut butter cookies instead.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
As a Pennsylvania girl, we are always excited when Punxutawney Phil (the Ground Hog!) predicts an early Spring.

Another snowy night here...
We haven't had any winter here. Just a couple of light snows that melted right off. We had some today that lasted until about noon. Generally, if we make it til the middle of Feb, we're ok as far as really bad weather goes, but we had a horrific ice storm once at the end of Feb and were without power for 11 days. I hope this doesn't point to a really hot summer!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
South Beach Peanut Butter cookies? Sounds divine ! Can someone post the recipe for that?
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
South Beach Peanut Butter cookies? Sounds divine ! Can someone post the recipe for that?
Here ya go!

1/2 cup splenda
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
sugar-free jam-- we use Polaners all fruit

Mix splenda, egg, and vanilla on low speed for a couple of minutes, then blend in peanut butter and baking soda until a dough forms. Form into 24 balls, make an indentation and fill with 1/2 tsp of jam. Bake on a non-stick pan at 350* for 12-14 mins. A serving is 2 cookies.

Or you can do the criss-cross thing with a fork and leave off the jelly for a more traditional cookie.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]

Last edited by rose1; 02-03-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

oh my! lol
are these considered phase 2?
I need to get back on the beach!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
oh my! lol
are these considered phase 2?
I need to get back on the beach!!!
Phase 2 because of the jelly. If you left that off, they would be phase 1 friendly. Watch the portion size, don't ask me how I know.

And yes, you need to get back in here.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cupcakegirl35
Stats: 343/343/135
WOE: SBD
Start Date: Febuary 4, 2013
Hey Ya'll

I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm Laura. I'm 35, divorced, no kids, work full time and attend school full time. It's extremely hard for me, like millions of people, to diet let alone exercise. I started in Jan on Weight Watchers but failed miserably. I know Atkins works for my blood sugar, if I can just stay away from the low carb ice cream at Braum's, it's soooo good. HA!! I decided that since the doctor I work for pushes SBD that I'd try it. My breaking, sinking, hit rock bottom moment was when the doctor was going to see me as a patient and asked if the scales would weigh me? I'm proud of myself though, cause normally I'd go to the bathroom and cry, but I had already made up my mind that morning to do it, to make the switch and drop kick some weight. I officially start tomorrow and like God always does, he provides and he showed me the way to this forum in the knick of time. I'm no saint, and I may be bent and bruised but you can't break this ole girl, I'm tougher than I look. Good luck and God bless to all you out there doing your thing.

" Be the change you want yo see " ~ Ghandi
cupcakegirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopeful13
Start Date: January 2013
Welcome Laura! I wish you all the best. I'm relatively new here, just since January. It's nice to have a place to check in once in awhile. And get recipes like those cookies above! Thank you rose!!!
I feel like it is a place of no judgement and hearing others stories to keep me motivated. Even your first entry about being "bent and bruised" but NOT broken - love it! Good luck you got this.
Hopeful13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello all,

First of all, Welcome to Laura!! As Hopeful said, we are pretty low key bunch. We'll cheer you on, console you and give you a kick in the pants if you want us too!! I've been on SBD for 5 years and it has become my eating lifestyle.

FYI. I had a bad stretch a few months ago personally and got distracted from being healthy and good to myself. So here I sit trying to get those unwanted lbs off and back to my Maintenance weight.

And speaking of unwanted things, I found out Friday that I have to go away on business again this week. Another round of days eating out. UGH!

I'll check in later this week!!

2014 Running Miles: 224
2014 Walking Miles: 214
2014 Biking Miles: 380
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

Poor Wiz. Where are you off to this time?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Welcome, Laura! I'm Irene.. I just recently started to make an effort to be more active here, which really helps keep me going on my weight loss journey and also hopefully to encourage others. I've been following the SBD way of life for a few years now.. I came within 10lbs of goal but then I got pregnant/had baby so now I am back to lose the baby weight.

Hopefully Jenny checks in with us to give an update!

breakfast wasn't very good, we got home so late last night and I've been under the weather. Oh well, next meal will be good clean eating!
tonight: individual turkey zucchini meatloaf tonight with butternut squash/spinach/red onions and some steamed green beans.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Poor Wiz. Where are you off to this time?
Not far...up in North Jersey. But far enough away to stay over night. Hosting customers from Dallas at our facility for 3 days.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Laura!
Glad to hear everyone else is doing pretty well and hanging in there.
I don't know what my problem is; but I havent been caring too much about what Im eating. Not really eating junk or pigging out. Just not thinking to much or paying too much attention to it. We are getting weight watchers at work, so I was contemplating that; but I dont think it will be the plan for me.
The biggest challenge is finding the time for myself and for the planning. Since getting divorced, its just been so hard. Single mom of 4, and working the 2 jobs and double shifts...it doesnt leave much. Probably why I cant find the time and motivation to care. But..I do miss how good I used to feel, and fitting into those cute clothes.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Welcome Laura!
Glad to hear everyone else is doing pretty well and hanging in there.
I don't know what my problem is; but I havent been caring too much about what Im eating. Not really eating junk or pigging out. Just not thinking to much or paying too much attention to it. We are getting weight watchers at work, so I was contemplating that; but I dont think it will be the plan for me.
The biggest challenge is finding the time for myself and for the planning. Since getting divorced, its just been so hard. Single mom of 4, and working the 2 jobs and double shifts...it doesnt leave much. Probably why I cant find the time and motivation to care. But..I do miss how good I used to feel, and fitting into those cute clothes.
I've been thinking. I think it might be somewhat harder to get back in the groove because SB doesn't have much structure and we have lots and lots of freedom about what to eat. No carb counting, no calorie counting, just eat right.

I have a friend who is trying to follow SB and is having a really hard time, so she is going to try WW for the structure and work the SB plan into that structure. WW doesn't work for her because she uses her points or free foods or whatever for junk. She is a lifetime WW member, but she keeps eating those 100 calorie packs of junk. Anyway she has gained back all her weight.

Maybe your motivation might come from remembering how you used to feel? If you eat well, you will have more energy, sleep better, have calmer moods, etc. I know it seems impossible to find time and energy to plan, cook ahead, pack up food ahead. How old are your children? Could they help even a little. Hang in there!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #18

Wiz, I hope you're not caught up in the snow.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Rose, no snow yet, all rain this morning. But it's coming! As long as all the kids get home from school and the commuters get home from work before the heavy stuff comes down, I won't mind it too much. A Saturday with lots of snow isn't the worst thing! Lots of SB friendly food in the house, wood for the fireplace, etc. I just hope we don't lose power again.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Good morning!

Rose, no snow yet, all rain this morning. But it's coming! As long as all the kids get home from school and the commuters get home from work before the heavy stuff comes down, I won't mind it too much. A Saturday with lots of snow isn't the worst thing! Lots of SB friendly food in the house, wood for the fireplace, etc. I just hope we don't lose power again.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!
That's good. I think you're on the lighter edge? I guess our friends in Newton/Andover are going to get socked, but not as bad as other places.

I have to work all week-end.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I think you have a point rose, maybe the diet becomes a little too easy and we lose that structure that is needed to stay OP

Well I'm north of Boston, and trapped inside preparing for 2-3ft of snow But let me tell you, I guess this is the motivation I needed. I'm scheduled double shifts tomorrow and Sunday (7a-11p). Well normally with my work schedule like that, I rely on take out/delivery at work and dunkin donuts on my way into work. This means multigrain bagel breakfast sandwiches and coffee through the drive thru in the morning to get me going, and then grilled chicken salads from the local sub shops delivered each shift. Well with the state of emergency, I'm forced to prepare my own food and plan ahead for these 16 hour shifts. I got up this morning and hit the grocery store when it opened at 7am (everyone had this idea, it was crazy! lol) and stocked up! Ive been cooking much of the day and preparing snacks. I made a huge pot of a phase 1 soup with chicken broth, diced tomatoes, cabbage, celery, onion, garlic, and chickpeas. Then I made a pot of the white chili from Kayln's kitchen. I have celery cut up, chicken breast grilled for salads, a huge salad made up, tuna salad, hard boiled egg, and plain yogurt. I feel so good from all this cooking and planning! I'm gonna just be doing phase 2. (even though I need phase 1). I will focus more on phase 1 after the storm. Today I ate really well too! I worked my private duty case for a couple of hours this morning before the storm started and didnt have anything made up yet. But I made do with what I had on hand:

B HF english muffin fried egg sandwich with cheese, V8

L chicken ceasar salad wrap (whole wheat)

I snacked on veggies I was cutting up and had some yogurt with almonds while I was cooking

D left over steak tips, huge salad with RF dressing

I think I will have a glass of chardonnay tonite after I vacum my house and go bed before my 32 hour weekend in the blizzard.

Stay safe and warm everyone
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
How is everyone doing?

I don't check in very often but I still apply the SB principles in my diet.

Jim
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skinigini
Start Date: 2/11/13
Hi, I'm new here and starting SB tomorrow. I also joined WW 6 weeks ago and only lost 5 lbs then started gaining. I eat WAY TOO MUCH fruit, because it is free. I really like the concept of SBD, I'm also "pre-diabetic" so it should be good for me. Question--what is your fave dressing that works with SBD. I have been use that "yogurt ranch" maries or bolthouse farms. Also another question, I am 307 lbs, so can I stay on phase one for longer? I plan to stick with the WW program and just incorporate the SBD into it, I like the meetings, and I have 7 kids, so it's one day I get to go somewhere alone.
skinigini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
How is everyone doing?

I don't check in very often but I still apply the SB principles in my diet.

Jim
JIM!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinigini View Post
Hi, I'm new here and starting SB tomorrow. I also joined WW 6 weeks ago and only lost 5 lbs then started gaining. I eat WAY TOO MUCH fruit, because it is free. I really like the concept of SBD, I'm also "pre-diabetic" so it should be good for me. Question--what is your fave dressing that works with SBD. I have been use that "yogurt ranch" maries or bolthouse farms. Also another question, I am 307 lbs, so can I stay on phase one for longer? I plan to stick with the WW program and just incorporate the SBD into it, I like the meetings, and I have 7 kids, so it's one day I get to go somewhere alone.
OK, If you are pre-diabetic, there is no such thing as free fruit. I suggest following SB exactly by the book for a good while before starting to branch out. Staying on phase 1 for a little longer is ok as long as you get good variety and don't eat the same things all the time, but honestly, your long term fat loss will come in phase 2, so don't be scared to move along.

Salad dressing-- I make my own, usually vinegar and oil with whatever additions I want at the time. There are quite a few SB dressing recipes and it takes very little time to make your own delicious dressing.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinigini View Post
Welcome!
I think the way I've been successful over the years was keeping it simple and following the book (and rereading the book as I go along) that means not following induction for longer, you'll get bored and that doesn't help to keep going with losing the weight. It's a journey and you need to find which plan will keep you going.

As far as dressing goes, I started out simply following the guides in the book for how much sugar. Making everything from scratch when I was so use to a convenience lifestyle was too much for me, I know my habits so I changed them slowly.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jim! hope everyone is warm and the snow wasn't too bad!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Recovering from the blizzard. Almost 3 ft of snow here. Lots of power outages. Anyone who got to work, was kept at work.They fed us danishes, donuts, spaghetti, and coffee. I feel bloated and run down. Definately need a good nights sleep and a good clean diet.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saw this on a friend's Facebook site and was thinking it could be made SB friendly! Very cute for Valentine's Day. I would lose the cookie bottom and substitute some splenda for the sugar (or maybe just use home-made raspberry puree instead of the sugar and the food coloring....)

Dreamy-Mini-Cheesecakes

I had a bad weekend and it showed on the scale. But back on track today!

Woo hoo JIM!!! Nice to see you check in, we miss you.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Saw this on a friend's Facebook site and was thinking it could be made SB friendly! Very cute for Valentine's Day. I would lose the cookie bottom and substitute some splenda for the sugar (or maybe just use home-made raspberry puree instead of the sugar and the food coloring....)

Dreamy-Mini-Cheesecakes

I had a bad weekend and it showed on the scale. But back on track today!

Woo hoo JIM!!! Nice to see you check in, we miss you.
Those would be easy-peasy to make SB friendly. I like your idea of using some puree instead of food coloring and then I wouldn't need nearly so much splenda, if any.

(You need to quit having those bad weekends, girlfriend!)