Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #61
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
OK Beachers...where the heck is everyone??

Made a great OP dinner last night....chicken breasts (on the bone) roasted with red peppers and garlic with a "sauce" of balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, rosemary, pepper, oregano and 1 TB EVOO. We had a side of cauliflower. Yum!

I am REALLY working on my night-time snacking. Went to bed last night with my stomach absolutely growling, but I didn't eat after dinner was done.

I have 5 weeks until our Spring vacation...I have a lot of work to do.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
OK Beachers...where the heck is everyone??

Made a great OP dinner last night....chicken breasts (on the bone) roasted with red peppers and garlic with a "sauce" of balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, rosemary, pepper, oregano and 1 TB EVOO. We had a side of cauliflower. Yum!

I am REALLY working on my night-time snacking. Went to bed last night with my stomach absolutely growling, but I didn't eat after dinner was done.

I have 5 weeks until our Spring vacation...I have a lot of work to do.
Sometimes I wish I could eat meat like you do. Your recipes sound so yummy. I try eating chicken sometimes and sometimes I can choke down chicken salad and other times .

Many, many years ago, I had to train myself not to eat at night. Went to bed with my stomach growling and often woke up in the middle of the night with more growling. It's like I had to force my "self" to understand that I wasn't starving and my digestive system needed a few hours off. It's a hard habit to break. I get hot tea at night, but no food.

How was your trip? Where are you off to next?

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
I'm here, Wiz, just had a lot going on with my mother this week. Glad to hear that you are doing so well on-plan. By the way, have you been to Spain? I may have to pick your brain a bit.

Last edited by jlieb62; 03-12-2013 at 02:03 PM..
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #64
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Sometimes I wish I could eat meat like you do. Your recipes sound so yummy. I try eating chicken sometimes and sometimes I can choke down chicken salad and other times .

Many, many years ago, I had to train myself not to eat at night. Went to bed with my stomach growling and often woke up in the middle of the night with more growling. It's like I had to force my "self" to understand that I wasn't starving and my digestive system needed a few hours off. It's a hard habit to break. I get hot tea at night, but no food.

How was your trip? Where are you off to next?
I thought of you last night!! Although I am not a big tea drinker, I had a cup of apple cinnamon herbal tea last night. I know you recommended that approach. In any case, it is clearly all mental...

Next week is Anaheim! Another 5+ hour plane trip there and back.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #65

Anaheim. Disneyland!

I like chai with milk, but most of the time I just have plain orange pekoe.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #66
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
I'm here, Wiz, just had a lot going on with my mother this week. Glad to hear that you are doing so well on-plan. By the way, have you been to Spain? I may have to pick your brain a bit.
Hey Jim,

Hope your Mom is okay...they always need to come first!! Believe it or not, I have never been to Spain. It is one of the few major European countries I have not been in. Do you remember Luisafernanda (Cindy) that posted here in the past? She lives in Spain. Send her a message, I am sure she would be happy to help you out. She is still around on some other parts of the forum.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MinnieSkinnie
Stats: 242/220/164 for starters
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 4/15/13
Hi, I'm a new poster but old Beacher

I lost 35 pounds last spring staying on Phase 1, then fell into old habits and gained 20 back.

I'm back on the straight and narrow now though - and I know i will be successful again and more long-term. I just don't feel good, or happy, or healthy when I eat any other way.

I decided that signing up here -where i've lurked and swiped recipes from for so long- would be a good idea. I love the support!
MinnieSkinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #68
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Minnie!! Welcome to the Beach

So I've been having a great week. I have been on Phase 1 for a few days after three tough weeks of business travel and restaurant eating. I feel much less bloated and the scale happily reflects that as well. I have also been vigilant about NO food after dinner.

Funny thing is my husband has lost weight this week too, because he is eating what I eat with the addition of 1 serving of whole wheat per day. When I am traveling, he turns to convenience food like pizza (and I suspect he drinks more beer too )

Last night's supper was leftover beef stew that I had frozen a while back. I couldn't believe how great it still tasted! Oh, just for the record, it did have carrots in it - so I wasn't totally Phase 1. But really, who is getting fat from carrots??

2014 Running Miles: 280
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #69

Carrots! Remember carrot and raisin salad? We got that at school. It was as good as dessert.

Minnie!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Carrots! Remember carrot and raisin salad?
I remember that from school... or at least some similar concoction... and I agree. Nobody ever got fat from carrots!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Believe it or not, I have never been to Spain. It is one of the few major European countries I have not been in.
I would love to see a world map of your travels, wiz... you know the kind with a push-pin for every place you've been? I bet it would be quite cool.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #72
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ha! I keep picturing this big fat rabbit with a pile of carrots!!

I am really, really having a tough work day (and it is still going on now) and my first instinct was to march into the kitchen to eat after a particularly tough conference call ...even though I finished dinner well over an hour ago. But so far, I am holding firm. NO EATING AFTER DINNER.

Of course, the open bottle of chardonnay was the next thing to call my name...but I've been wine free since Saturday night. I'm holding firm on that too (well, at least until this Saturday night )
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Wiz, I have to admit that my biggest problem with calories right now is Jack Daniels. My need to escape often outweighs my need to lose weight!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #74

Quote:
Ha! I keep picturing this big fat rabbit with a pile of carrots!!

I am really, really having a tough work day (and it is still going on now) and my first instinct was to march into the kitchen to eat after a particularly tough conference call ...even though I finished dinner well over an hour ago. But so far, I am holding firm. NO EATING AFTER DINNER.

Of course, the open bottle of chardonnay was the next thing to call my name...but I've been wine free since Saturday night. I'm holding firm on that too (well, at least until this Saturday night )
Tea, go have some tea!

A couple years ago we planted snow peas and green beans. We were out looking around one evening and decided that we would go pick the next morning. Out we went with our bucket and there was a big fat bunny sitting in the peas and not one snow pea or green bean to be seen. I guess they had partied in the early hours. We found a handful of green beans by looking up under all the leaves, but not one snow pea.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #75
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jim, yeah, believe me...I would have loved a glass of wine last night. But once I woke up today and was down another lb (!!), I was glad I didn't.

Rose, that is too funny. Those bunnies had a feast!!

So folks, in my quest to stop night-time snacking - I got through 5 nights without a bite of food after dinner. I was pretty much on Phase 1 all week (beside those carrots and a cup of yogurt every day with the fruit already in it) and I exercised every day.

End result? I couldn't believe my eyes this morning...I lost 6 lbs since Sunday. OK, yeah, some of it was water weight - but I'll take it. I want to lose 4 more and am aiming for 1lb per week. And then I will be pretty much back to my Maintenance weight.

This weekend's goal? NOT TO GAIN I'm okay with not losing, I just don't want to gain any back. I may have to run 10 miles each day instead of 5!! LOL.

TGIF!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MinnieSkinnie
Stats: 242/220/164 for starters
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 4/15/13
Thanks for the Welcome

Wiz that's great... i do have issues snacking at night. I think it's boredom or habit or reward - maybe a combo.

Maybe it's a sign I didn't eat enough during the day.

I'm going to start fresh this weekend and nothing after dinner but my tea.

MinnieSkinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #77
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another night with NO snacking!! Yea!!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #78

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MuseStruck
Stats: 189.8/164.0/short-term 153.7
WOE: SB without the low fat part
Start Date: January 7, 2013
I hope you don't mind if I peek in and introduce myself. I just discovered these boards--and what a great, supportive community I've found! I like the idea of keeping it real and honest. I have whooshed through menopause and found that the weight that I gained on the way there has multiplied and become really stubborn. Last year, my goal was to become healthier--I found a doctor willing to address me as a whole person, including my thyroid and hormones. I was feeling 100% better, so this year my goal is to get stronger, too.

I started out on January 7th with my own (admittedly) bastardized version of South Beach. I don't do fake foods, and I don't do low fat. If something is high in fat, I limit the quantity I eat, or the frequency in which I eat it. I drink tons of water, and I carry my lunch every weekday, usually leftovers from the night before. I have a love/hate relationship with the scale, but I'm learning to see the scale as my healthy-weight husband does--weight up? Eat healthy and drink less until it goes back down. Don't beat yourself up over the numbers.

Anyway...nice to meet you! Tonight, on the menu is Nick's Chipotle Shrimp and Black Bean Salsa from Kalyn's Kitchen. You?
MuseStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #80
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Muse! Welcome!! You will find plenty of others that use the same rule tweaks as you do. For me, I use some low fat foods (i.e. skim mozzarella, for example) when there aren't a bunch of addititives. But I never use the no fat foods, there are too many weird things I can't pronounce in them

We're off to a St Patrick's Day party later today. I'm not sure what I will be eating, and I am sure I will indulge in some beer...but tomorrow morning I will be right back on track! My weight has held all weekend within an ounce or two from Friday morning, so I should be okay.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #81

Muse. I prefer to think of SB as good fat rather that low fat. I have access to Mennonite cows, so milk, cheese, butter, etc is fresh and unadulterated. Sometimes the milk has a thick layer of cream on top and sometimes not so much. I pack lunch everyday also. My food is better than any restaurant.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Happy St. Patrick's day everyone! I miss you!!!! Been so busy with my son in his battle against kidney cancer!!! <3

Michele
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: icandoit
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5’ 7'
Hello! I am ready to start south beach diet. I am currently breatfeesing my soon to be 1 year old twins. I am going to start on phase 1 since they eat 3x a day plus snacks. I will weigh myself tomorrow and post my starting weight. I am ready to get my body back!!
icandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Happy St. Patrick's day everyone! I miss you!!!! Been so busy with my son in his battle against kidney cancer!!! <3

Michele
Michele, I think about you often. How is your son doing? Are you taking care of yourself? Please check in when you can and let us know how things are.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandoit View Post
Hello! I am ready to start south beach diet. I am currently breatfeesing my soon to be 1 year old twins. I am going to start on phase 1 since they eat 3x a day plus snacks. I will weigh myself tomorrow and post my starting weight. I am ready to get my body back!!
to the Beach!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #86
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Michele
Oh Michele, so good to hear from you. As Rose says, we think of you often. I hope your son's battle is going well. Lots of good thoughts coming your way.

And welcome to Icandoit!!!

As for me? A whole week with NO night-time snacking. It's still a struggle, but it's getting easier every day.

I did indulge in some beer and salty corned beef yesterday so saw a slight rise on the scale this morning. But it was worth it! The good news? I avoided the mac and cheese, soda bread and desserts that were offered at this party. I had a bit of meat and a huge plate of salad.

Folks, I am off to Anaheim and LAX this week so I'm not sure when I will check in again. Have a great week at the BEACH!!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Happy St. Patrick's day everyone! I miss you!!!! Been so busy with my son in his battle against kidney cancer!!!
Michele please feel free to write me anytime as I had kidney cancer at a relatively young age as well... clear cell renal cell carcinoma stage I/II. I know your boy will do well, but if you want to talk, I'm here. Hang in there! Jim
Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Camille
WOE: South Beach Ph1
Start Date: Restarted April 22, 2013
Quote:
I knit in the evenings and that stops me from snacking... Often I'll even have a cup of tea go cold in front of me because I get stuck in the pattern, and forget to drink it. This doesn't always work perfectly (especially if I get the munches!) but it helps!
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Welcome newbies!
So good to hear from you Michelle! And wow jim...what a great person to offer your experience with her. Sometimes that is the best support system; because those who have been thru it truly understand
Dieting and taking care of myself has not been a priority. Lots of added stress in my life right now. Don't want to jinx myself from so good things so I will catch up with you all soon. Hopefully will be able to refocus here sooner than later.
Safe travels wiz!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
I'm fat. I'm not eating well. I'm drinking way too much vino. I did give up meat which I feel good about. I'm off to the national cancer institute in Maryland in the am. Been a very very very stressful few months!!! If I told you all the details you would be floored. Trying to hold it together!!! Miss just hanging out talking about food with you all!!!! <3
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote