Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #31
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Those would be easy-peasy to make SB friendly. I like your idea of using some puree instead of food coloring and then I wouldn't need nearly so much splenda, if any.

(You need to quit having those bad weekends, girlfriend!)
Rose, I'm going through a really rough patch at work. Lots of people getting laid off, I'm traveling just about every week, and I'm under a lot of pressure to close a huge sales deal ($50M!) I am working on. My job is very stressful on a normal day, but it's been over the top lately (to the point where my husband actually said to me - you should retire!)

So anyway, by the time the weekend rolls around...I just don't care much about anything. I want to relax and not have to plan, decide or be in charge of anything. So what happens? Pizza from the place down the street or something similarly un-SB friendly. Hopefully things will calm down in the next month or so when this deal gets decided one way or the other.

On that note, I'm off to my first conference call of the day!

2014 Running Miles: 249
2014 Walking Miles: 273
2014 Biking Miles: 412
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Recovering from the blizzard. Almost 3 ft of snow here. Lots of power outages. Anyone who got to work, was kept at work.They fed us danishes, donuts, spaghetti, and coffee. I feel bloated and run down. Definately need a good nights sleep and a good clean diet.
oh gosh I hope you are much better now..

I love the idea of fruit puree for those individual cheesecakes! After reading more about food coloring, I am just sickened (everything about SB has me rethinking a lot about what I'm using to fuel my body and evaluating how I am treating myself - been years to get to this point)
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Phase 1 and Callenetics, I'm down 5 lbs this week. Lots of planning and cooking. Loving Kalyn's Kitchen for some great family meal ideas. Tonight I made a casserole from her site with chicken, sour cream sauce, asparagus, and cheese. Ate it plain for myself and served it over rice for my daughters. Made her pot roast the other night. Finally got the motivation back and feeling good. Going away this weekend so am gearing up to try to stay OP phase 2 for that. Going to see George Strait! Anyone else a country music fan? I can't wait!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #34
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woo hoo!! Buckhuntress got her groove back !! Good for you.

I also made pot roast this weekend, in the crockpot. I loaded up on veggies, went light on the meat. And of course, I love getting 2 nights out of one meal.

I am off to Dallas for 3 days, home for 1 day and then leaving Sunday for San Fran. It's going to be a crazy week. I will do my best with the eating, but my exercise routine will be out the window. Too many early flights, early meetings, etc.

Hope all is well everyone!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Phase 1 and Callenetics, I'm down 5 lbs this week. Lots of planning and cooking. Loving Kalyn's Kitchen for some great family meal ideas. Tonight I made a casserole from her site with chicken, sour cream sauce, asparagus, and cheese. Ate it plain for myself and served it over rice for my daughters. Made her pot roast the other night. Finally got the motivation back and feeling good. Going away this weekend so am gearing up to try to stay OP phase 2 for that. Going to see George Strait! Anyone else a country music fan? I can't wait!
Good for you!!!

It's always great fun to go to concerts, isn't it! Have fun!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Woo hoo!! Buckhuntress got her groove back !! Good for you.

I also made pot roast this weekend, in the crockpot. I loaded up on veggies, went light on the meat. And of course, I love getting 2 nights out of one meal.

I am off to Dallas for 3 days, home for 1 day and then leaving Sunday for San Fran. It's going to be a crazy week. I will do my best with the eating, but my exercise routine will be out the window. Too many early flights, early meetings, etc.

Hope all is well everyone!!
Wiz, I still envy your travel schedule from afar, although if I HAD to do it, it wouldn't be so much fun I guess. Hang in!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Signed up for WW at work today. Somewhat to be held accountable, somewhat for the support of coworkers and friends to stay on track. Im going to apply SB to the plan. I think some of my weight gain off of my maintence weight was definately a little from age (over 40...yikes) and realizing I probably cant satisify my appetite like I used to. Like rose pointed out...we dont really have that checks and balance system with SB. We can OP til we feel full. So, hopefully this helps me a little bit with portion control, etc. 12 weeks. That brings me to mid May. Good time to be back to a better weight for spring and summer
Tonight I took my daughters to Red Robin. Love their burgers. Hadnt been in forever, was a big treat for us. I got my burger wrapped in lettuce in lieu of a bun, and a side salad instead of fries. So believe it or not.,..was able to eat a phase 1 meal for the evening!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Signed up for WW at work today. Somewhat to be held accountable, somewhat for the support of coworkers and friends to stay on track. Im going to apply SB to the plan. I think some of my weight gain off of my maintence weight was definately a little from age (over 40...yikes) and realizing I probably cant satisify my appetite like I used to. Like rose pointed out...we dont really have that checks and balance system with SB. We can OP til we feel full. So, hopefully this helps me a little bit with portion control, etc. 12 weeks. That brings me to mid May. Good time to be back to a better weight for spring and summer
Tonight I took my daughters to Red Robin. Love their burgers. Hadnt been in forever, was a big treat for us. I got my burger wrapped in lettuce in lieu of a bun, and a side salad instead of fries. So believe it or not.,..was able to eat a phase 1 meal for the evening!

My BFF is a lifetime member of WW and I got the points from her to make sure I am eating enough. SB is easy to integrate into WW.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Greetings from Dallas!!

I downloaded this article on my Kindle and read it on the plane. It's long, but absolutely fascinating if you are serious about what you put in your mouth and how it affects your health...and it is an excerpt from an entire book coming out this month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...nted=1&_r=0&hp

FYI. I was absolutely starved for food and ordered a salad - with the dressing on the side. I was in a hurry and didn't check it. Of course, it was just lathered in dressing. sigh...I had to eat it, but I was not happy with myself. I just knew it was loaded with fat and sugar.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Greetings from Dallas!!

I downloaded this article on my Kindle and read it on the plane. It's long, but absolutely fascinating if you are serious about what you put in your mouth and how it affects your health...and it is an excerpt from an entire book coming out this month.

FYI. I was absolutely starved for food and ordered a salad - with the dressing on the side. I was in a hurry and didn't check it. Of course, it was just lathered in dressing. sigh...I had to eat it, but I was not happy with myself. I just knew it was loaded with fat and sugar.
Wiz, the salad must have been so disappointing! I hate when things like that happen.

I read the article you linked. Those companies should be prosecuted--I don't know for what exactly, but something.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Hi again all and thanks for the welcome back...

I've got to get my butt in gear and get back into weight-loss mode! I've decided not to go back to Phase I since I'd like to keep my protein on the low to moderate side, but in the past I've been able to lose one or two pounds a week following Phase II so that's fine with me.

Question: I've got a fresh pineapple in my fridge which is technically not on plan but I refuse to throw away perfectly good and healthy food. I plan to eat it mixed with 2% cottage cheese and some walnuts, so how bad do you really think this will be?

Jim
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Wiz, that's a very interesting article and thanks for posting it!

I'm all about personal accountability, and ultimately we're all responsible for what we put in our mouths, but the industry practices outlined in that article certainly do have a sinister feel to them don't they? As distasteful as I find this whole thing however, I don't necessarily think that the companies should be held liable for the obesity epidemic.

I'd love to debate this with the group and hear everyone else's opinion.

Jim
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Camille
WOE: South Beach Ph1
Start Date: Restarted April 22, 2013
Hi All,

I'm back after several months away from both the boards, and any attempts at sticking to the SB WOE. I don't think I mentioned this before, but we opened a retail store last summer. Its been a lot of fun, but it doesn't leave much time for things like keeping up with daily chores let alone healthy meal planning. My husband also works long hours, so we have far too many nights where dinner is just a pizza or quick pasta - or eaten out - and it doesn't happen until 8pm or later. And then there are the 5 coffee shops that I walk past on my way to the store, all of which have yummy coffee and even yummier baked goodies to tempt you with, especially on the days there's nothing in the fridge to take to lunch!

Aside from getting back on plan, my goals are to check in here more often for support, to make myself get out to the gym more often (because once every 6 weeks just isn't cutting it!), and to force myself to eat my meals on a more regular schedule. I generally don't cook enough food for leftovers, but I think that its time I started making large meals and portioning them out for later. At least then my "I'm too tired to cook tonight" meals will be something healthy.

Time to start reading menus so I can make a shopping list - Phase 1 starts on Sunday because I can't get to the store before tomorrow night, and the cupboards are totally bare!
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
Wiz, that's a very interesting article and thanks for posting it!

I'm all about personal accountability, and ultimately we're all responsible for what we put in our mouths, but the industry practices outlined in that article certainly do have a sinister feel to them don't they? As distasteful as I find this whole thing however, I don't necessarily think that the companies should be held liable for the obesity epidemic.

I'd love to debate this with the group and hear everyone else's opinion.

Jim
Jim:

I am in total agreement! I certainly do not want the government to regulate what/when I eat!! On the other hand, I want all available data at my hands to make an intelligent decision about what I eat. It's all about being smart and pro-active on my diet.

But...this expose really shows a scary side of our food sources. Big Brother is in control, don't think otherwise...
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Hi again all and thanks for the welcome back...

I've got to get my butt in gear and get back into weight-loss mode! I've decided not to go back to Phase I since I'd like to keep my protein on the low to moderate side, but in the past I've been able to lose one or two pounds a week following Phase II so that's fine with me.

Question: I've got a fresh pineapple in my fridge which is technically not on plan but I refuse to throw away perfectly good and healthy food. I plan to eat it mixed with 2% cottage cheese and some walnuts, so how bad do you really think this will be?

Jim
Go for it.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

That was a very good article - thanks for sharing it. It will be interesting to see how much (if any) press the book gets when it comes out.

I don't think the government needs to dictate what we eat, but it wouldn't hurt for them to make companies be more open about what they are feeding us. We can't make healthy choices without first being educated about what we eat, and the effects that these foods have on our bodies. Look at the change in attitudes toward smoking in the last 10 years. No one stops you from smoking if you want to do it - but they definitely make sure you are making an informed decision when you choose to light that cigarette.

In Canada we have fewer regulations for controlling things like sodium levels, and there isn't a whole lot of public awareness about how much sodium we should or shouldn't be eating each day (IMO, at least). If you compare the sodium levels in a Canadian version of the exact same food from the US (same brand, etc) there will likely be considerably more sodium in the Canadian version. It's ridiculous, and I don't understand how they get away with it (or why they bother, because surely it would be cheaper to use the same recipe on both sides of the border?).

I lived in New York City for a year, and loved when they brought in the rule that restaurants had to openly post calorie counts for all their foods. When you see that the fancy coffee you are about to order already has 200 calories in it, you really think twice about also ordering that 600 calorie muffin! When people are able to make informed choices, they are more likely to choose the healthier option, which will eventually cause the food industry to change their ways also.

I also really dislike the term "healthful", which was used throughout the article. To me, its a made up industry term which means "healthy things added to make you think that this otherwise bad for you item is now somehow okay to eat". But of course the industry wants you to think that it means the same thing as "healthy". Sure, whole grain nacho chips might be marginally better for you than chips made from white processed flour, but it still doesn't mean that they're healthy. Words like that really irritate me because its just another example of how industries are trying to manipulate us into believing everything they tell us.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Thanks for sharing that article, Wiz.. it has been making the rounds on all the popular whole food blogs, nice to see it here on this forum

Jim.. pineapple does freeze well too!

Camille, welcome back! I read so many wonderful things about Canada (no hormones in milk, ever) but had no idea about sodium regulation doesn't really exist. And I don't understand why some companies will feed us certain items that are banned in other countries and make another recipe.. Again, isn't it cheaper to keep the recipes the same!?

We have so many GMO foods and yet they are banned in most of the rest of world and if they aren't banned, it has to be labeled. Why? Because they haven't been proven safe. This new salmon has me so upset... I already have a hard time finding wild, sustainably caught fish.. now I don't know if I can get non-GMO salmon.

My husband has been traveling so while I'm losing, it's not as high as when I'm really putting in the effort. Tonight we are going to a Flyers game and looks like we aren't going to have enough time to eat somewhere with better choices beforehand. Ugh.

Last edited by glitterific; 02-27-2013 at 06:46 AM..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

That new salmon idea is creepy.. have any of you read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood? In that (fictional) book there are references to all kinds of engineered animals that were created just to be food sources. It reminds me also of the pig in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which tells you which parts of it you should eat! (they see it at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe).

In Vancouver people are generally very conscious about where and how our fish is caught - although I suppose that we are a little spoiled for choice being right on the West Coast. There is a local organization called SeaChoice that was created to help consumers and the food industry choose fish sources that are sustainably fished, not farmed, and not under threat of going extinct. They have wallet cards that you can download identifying which classify fish and seafood into groups you can eat lots of, which ones to be wary of, and which to avoid altogether (there's one for sushi too!). This has been such a popular campaign that most local restaurants and grocery chains now have similar markings on their menus and packaging. Its kind of impressive how effective this movement has been - its too bad we can't have more of the same for other kinds of meat.

On the subject of fish farming, there is a fascinating new 'aquaculture' technique that is being developed where they raise farmed salmon on land, in big tanks. The water cycles through the tanks as long as possible, and when it can't be used anymore they use the now highly-fertilized water for their food gardens. Its such a great alternative to in-ocean fish farms - and the fish tastes really good too!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #49
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Beachers!!

I'm back from San Francisco. My eating was pretty decent on this trip and I got a great run in along a bayfront trail while the sun was coming up one morning. Just beautiful. I even had time to buy a SB friendly salad for both of my flights.

I was too tired to cook last night so we went out for dinner. We ate at a new place and I was able to get a very OP meal...chicken with fresh spinach, red peppers, and fresh mozz cheese. It had a light sauce underneath it, which I would most likely omit or get on the side next time.

I'm not weighing in until Friday. Not sure what I'm going to see.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Well my first week of WW Im up two pounds and starving
apparently I have had terrible portion control.
ugh ((
Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #51

Quote:
ugh ((
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #52
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
ugh ((
Buckhuntress, I know portion control is a huge issue for me. And I think that is one of the big reasons I have gained some weight back. I definitely eat too much protein. Yes, I eat SB friendly foods, but I know that protein (chicken, fish, cheese, some red meat) has far more calories and fat then veggies. I need to up my veggies and reduce my proteins....esp. cheese.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
We have so many GMO foods and yet they are banned in most of the rest of world and if they aren't banned, it has to be labeled. Why? Because they haven't been proven safe. This new salmon has me so upset... I already have a hard time finding wild, sustainably caught fish.. now I don't know if I can get non-GMO salmon.
This GMO business really gets my dander up. It's disgusting how much control corporations like Monsanto have over our government and our food supply. Regarding salmon, the canned variety is a good choice as it is almost always wild Alaskan salmon here in the U.S. and can usually be had for about three bucks a pound.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wombat
Stats: 335/242/225
Start Date: Jan 2 2012
New Member Hello!

Wanted to pass along some encouragement to everyone based on my experience with South Beach.

Started 2 Jan 2012 on Phase 1. Stayed on it a month. Then went to Phase 2 which I'm still on. Have dropped about 92 pounds in the last 14 months. Some lessons learned:

1. Have just kept completely away from bread, potatoes, any baked goods, and deep fried anything.

2. After the first month -- and after the positive reinforcement of dropping about 13 to 15 pounds just with the diet -- I began to exercise. I started with swimming -- non impact and aerobic. First few tries could barely go up and back. Am now able to swim a kilometer in about 50 minutes. Still slow...but it's good exercise.

3. In July 2012, I added bicycle riding. Again non impact. Again, not able to go more than 3 or 4 miles at first [which wasn't bad...the swimming had built up my "air", and the diet had removed about 45 pounds by then]. Am now able to go 15 to 20 miles, depending on route [hills!] and wind -- both mine and natures

4. Hit a big plateau in Novmember after dropping about 70+ pounds. Just could not get below 260, even with all of the exercise. But stuck to it. I think two things were happening: (1) weight was being "redistributed" plus, frankly, muscle from the exercise was being developed. Imagine that! (2) I was probably getting "lazy" on Phase 2 in terms of portions and type of food. Had added whole grain rice and whole grain pasta to diet about the time I started riding. Began to think I could eat those "approved" foods more often and in larger portions than was smart.

5. Broke out of the plateua the last 2 months by kick starting again with another couple weeks of Phase 1 after the holidays. Am now down to the low 240s. And while back on Phase 2 -- am going to keep close watch on intake of pasta and rice -- even the 'right' kinds.

Haven't had a potato chip or piece of toast or bun or taco chip in 14 months! Do I miss it? You bet. Like Dagwood, I was a sandwich king! But by being faithful to the "gimmick" of total abstention of these foods, it helps keep me motivated and focused.

Just thought some would like to hear that it can be done...even by a morbidly obese 61 year old! Who is now just "very overweight"

Almost forgot: other side effects:

Blood pressure down from 140s over 90s to 110s over 70s.
Pulse down from high 80s/low 90s at rest to upper 60s/low 70s.
Blood sugar and choesterol way down. Not even close to the "worry line".

Stay with it everyone!
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Wonderful progress Wombat!

yes, so apparently I have been eating WAY too much protein,cheese, and nuts. Fruit is unlimited on WW; which Im eating more of, but the sugars are making me crave things I think. I need to fill up on veggies more, cut the carbs, and learn about portion sizes.
Its awful lol. Im so hungry and not losing....
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wombat
Stats: 335/242/225
Start Date: Jan 2 2012
A Couple more observations ...

To buckhuntress and anyone else "stuck" --

I should have mentioned that another thing I've stayed virtually completely away from is fruit -- especially ANY juice. I took to heart the admonition in the book about fruit being just a "natural" sugar delivery device. About the most I've had in the 14 months so far is an occaisonal small cup of grapefruit slices -- and ONLY if from a "no sugar added" product. As I don't like bananas [yeah...I know...I'm weird ] not much other fruit makes it to my tummy.

I snack on almonds [love the wasabi flavor]; pistachios [get the shelled -- it makes you think you are having more of them when you have to work to get them!]; and the low fat mozzerella cheese sticks. Also make the sugar free Jello once in a while, and when on sale, will buy the Jello brand sugar free puddings.

Going out to eat can be a challenge, but usually one can accomodate. An example was last night. Wife and I went to a show and dinner before. As it's Friday [Lent...no meat!] an added restriction was in play. There was nothing pre-configured on the menu that worked -- either it was meat or it just wasn't allowed. However -- they had listed the ability to add fancy things to fancy salads -- called them "additions". I just asked them to plate two of these "additions" -- some grilled salmon and some grilled shrimp -- with a big side of broccoli. Was great...filling...and LEGAL!

The key to success is to make it a habit and a routine to do the right thing, both in terms of eating AND exercising. Believe me...I've been thru weight loss attempt several times in my 61 1/2 years -- and even succeeded for a short time! But then one thinks "Success...now I can be "normal"!" Nope. You can't. I've finally accepted that my particular make up is geared to be overweight if I'm "normal". So this really is a lifestyle change. It's hard sometimes -- passing up the nachos at the Super Bowl party; not taking the warm bread put down in front of you at a restaurant; never having a sandwich again! But it's the only way to get the weight off and keep it off.

BTW -- I forgot to mention that I'm only 5 foot 9 --- it's not like that 335 lbs was spread out on a tall frame! At my current 242, I'm still quite overweight. But as I continue to drop the weight....slowing but surely...it's all better!

PS -- good thing I like broccoli and spinach and green beans!
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #57
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!!

Just finished up a great 5 mile run!!

As per usual, I have a Phase 1 Monday lined up (I like to have a strict day following the weekend.) Tonight's dinner is going to be turkey spinach meatballs (I use some parm cheese in place of breadcrumbs) and home-made marinara sauce. My husband will have his on a WW roll, me - no roll.

Wombat, welcome!!

Gang, I am off to Tampa this week for work. Yes, yet another week of flying, airports, and hotels. It's been crazy so far this year for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Gang, I am off to Tampa this week for work. Yes, yet another week of flying, airports, and hotels. It's been crazy so far this year for me.
Although it must be hard for you to eat on-plan, I would trade my life for yours any day! I love travel and you get to do so much of it! That's easy for me to say though. Maybe you wish you didn't have to travel so much. The grass is always greener... blah blah blah.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #59
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Although it must be hard for you to eat on-plan, I would trade my life for yours any day! I love travel and you get to do so much of it! That's easy for me to say though. Maybe you wish you didn't have to travel so much. The grass is always greener... blah blah blah.
Jim,

Travel doesn't bother me too much when it goes RIGHT. When things go WRONG, it can be miserable! Flights cancelled or delayed, hotel reservations lost, etc. That stuff is just painful. On the plus side, I have been upgraded to First class for tomorrow morning's flight! That's what I call "things going right."
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #60
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! It was a quiet week around here...how is everyone doing?

I just whipped up what I am calling Mexican Crab Chowder. No recipe, just a lot of good SB friendly stuff . Onion, Celery, Carrots, Garlic, Scallions, Fresh Cilantro, canned Green Chilis, canned Diced Tomatoes, 1 can Tomato Paste, dashes of Cumin, Chili Powder, Oregano, fresh Lime Juice, chicken broth and a couple cans of white crab (the cheap kind in a tuna-style can, not lump!)

I love a one-pot Sunday supper...