Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
New Month; New Year

Whatever we need: a fresh start or continue the walk. Find it here.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather7882
I'm brand new here... is this where a January thread will be for people to check in? If not, will you please guide me to the appropriate page? Thanks!

-Heather J
From N Illinois, 5'9 208#, goal --> 30+ weight loss
Heather7882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Hi, Heather. This will be the January thread. to the Beach.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Welcome Heather!!

I want to be LIVING in that photo, Rose!!

Well, folks, I don't know about you all but I am SO ready to step away from the heavy foods, sweet treats and far too many glasses of champagne and move back into my SB style of eating. Today was trash day, so all remaining goodies went into the garbage or off to my husband's office. It's a clean slate here at the Wiz house.

So what are we all eating today? I've got some SB friendly leftovers that need to be used up.

And to start my New Year off right, I ran 5 miles yesterday and did 15 miles on my exercise bike today.

I will be weighing in on Friday (my personal weigh-in day) to see where things stand. All I know is - my jeans are very tight. Not good.

2014 Running Miles: 285
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #5

Wiz. I would love that for a vacation house. Got some SB friendly leftovers to eat over the next couple of days.

DD goes back to school next Wed, so we have to get back in the "having something to grab and go" groove.

My hip and knee are still bothering me, so I am going to have to do gentle walking for a while, no power walking, but gotta keep moving.

Here's to a good New Year!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
I was traveling a lot and enjoying life which included some poor food choices.. got right back on the saddle yesterday.. gave away all the left over temptations and meal planned for 2 weeks! My daughter's 1st birthday is this weekend. I am making some whole grain chocolate cupcakes for everyone.

Welcome Heather! We hope you have your book, stick to it and the food lists and you'll be well on your way to a healthier new you.

Last edited by glitterific; 01-02-2013 at 11:29 AM..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aaaargh!! Just found out I have to go to Dallas next week on business - five days of eating airport and restaurant food. I was planning on doing Phase 1 for the next 2 weeks, that will be tough under the circumstances. Wish me luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #8

Wiz, no luck involved. You know that you can eat phase 1 while you travel. You know this. Just do it!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I had a short day at work and even avoided the very high carb, high fat, high starch portions of the meals that were being served for breakfast and lunch. I was happy I had eaten my Chobani 0% plain yogurt (flavored with a tiny bit of generic Mio/Crystal Light type calorie free mix) and almonds for breakfast because it made it that much easier to pass by the starchy breakfast at work.

My preschoolers said they were very proud of me at lunch time and they must have been encouraged to eat healthier as well because we ended up asking our cook for more broccoli because we had eaten all of ours, lol! They even drank their milk and almost everyone got up to drink a glass of water when they saw me drinking my water.

I then shared with them that they motivate me to keep moving and then we completed our month long exploration of healthy eating/healthy body by sharing what healthy foods we had tried over our winter break.

After I got home I ate my tuna salad (loaded with onions and chopped celery) wrapped in romaine leaves and opened up a new package of reduced-fat cheese and ate one serving (wahoooo!). My problem today is that I have not had enough water to drink. I'll go remedy that right now!

Glad to hear everyone is taking care of the temptations around the house! Hubby and I are going to the grocery store pretty soon. Anybody need anything?

I'll be back later tonight and post what exercise I decided on for today. Wiz, I'm pretty sure I won't be running 5 miles or biking 15 miles tonight but GOOD FOR YOU! Bet it feels great to know you are taking care of yourself that way. I like to exercise inside so I may do the running feature on Wii Fit for 40-45 minutes.

Until later, folks.
-Heather J
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

P.S. Yes, I have the "old book" and the new food lists printed out and taped to the inside of the book
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lc_b3mom
oops poated in december.

I have been hanging on during the holidays and all the winter birthdays. I am on the 2nd week of phase 1 again. Looking forward to getting back to phase 2 and dropping some weight. Very thankful I didn't gain.

I have a question anout beans. Do you all eat them like the plan advises? I think I need to work on that.
lc_b3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc_b3mom View Post
oops poated in december.

I have been hanging on during the holidays and all the winter birthdays. I am on the 2nd week of phase 1 again. Looking forward to getting back to phase 2 and dropping some weight. Very thankful I didn't gain.

I have a question anout beans. Do you all eat them like the plan advises? I think I need to work on that.
Ok, I answered over there. I eat beans generously!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Wiz, no luck involved. You know that you can eat phase 1 while you travel. You know this. Just do it!
It's not hard to do Phase 2 while traveling, but Phase 1 is trickier. In any case, I will do my best. The good news is that at least I won't have any snacks to tempt me in my hotel room at night!!

Just finished up a 5-mile run in some nippy temps (25!) Felt good all the same.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Rose1. I know that is the one part of the plan I have never done good one. I might eat them in the evening but not any another time. I need to add some to my salads b/c that would be a simple way to get them in.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks Rose1. I know that is the one part of the plan I have never done good one. I might eat them in the evening but not any another time. I need to add some to my salads b/c that would be a simple way to get them in.
That's how I do it--on salads. Or soup. Tonight we will have white bean and cabbage soup.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
It's not hard to do Phase 2 while traveling, but Phase 1 is trickier. In any case, I will do my best. The good news is that at least I won't have any snacks to tempt me in my hotel room at night!!

Just finished up a 5-mile run in some nippy temps (25!) Felt good all the same.
I know phase 1 is trickier. But not impossible. Just a little butt kicking. How about phase 1.5 ???

Will you still be able to get your runs in?

Now maybe you could nag me about going to bed earlier? That's my New Year's resolution.

Last edited by rose1; 01-03-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I know phase 1 is trickier. But not impossible. Just a little butt kicking. How about phase 1.5 ???

Will you still be able to get your runs in?

Now maybe you could nag me about going to bed earlier? That's my New Year's resolution.
Oh Rose, I am usually an early-to-bed kind of person, but I have been reading some great (lengthy) books that have been keeping me up to all hours! So, I, too, need to start turning in a lot earlier.

FYI. I'm in the midst of The Patriarch (about Joseph P. Kennedy) and it is fascinating. The guy's life was such a dichotomy, from his relationship with his wife and kids to his political and business dealings. So many things to dislike about how he handled himself, but some interestingly admirable traits too.

In any case, everyone says it is much easier to lose weight when you get enough hours of quality shut-eye. So that's plenty of reason for me to get my butt in bed...
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PivaZena
Stats: 202/150 - 5'10" - 29yo
Start Date: January 2012
Hi! I was on this site several years ago (I have no idea what my profile says right now) and I'm back. Did Atkin's before, and now I'm ready to try something else. Here we go...
PivaZena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivaZena View Post
Hi! I was on this site several years ago (I have no idea what my profile says right now) and I'm back. Did Atkin's before, and now I'm ready to try something else. Here we go...
Best South Beach wishes!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Welcome pivazena. I am from NC too!

I have a low carb reipe tha calls for heavy cream... What would you use to make SB friendly?

QUESADILLA QUICHE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Welcome pivazena. I am from NC too!

I have a low carb reipe tha calls for heavy cream... What would you use to make SB friendly?

QUESADILLA QUICHE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
DD makes something like this often. ( I don't cook.) She uses a sploosh of real milk, just enough to smooth out the eggs. We don't use low fat milk. It comes out fine. There are so many ways to vary a recipe like this that we never get tired of it. It works for breakfast, lunch, supper, even snacks.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
DD makes something like this often. ( I don't cook.) She uses a sploosh of real milk, just enough to smooth out the eggs. We don't use low fat milk. It comes out fine. There are so many ways to vary a recipe like this that we never get tired of it. It works for breakfast, lunch, supper, even snacks.
Thanks! She has a lot of recipes I like but most have heavy cream. I think I will just replace with milk.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopeful13
Start Date: January 2013
Hi everyone! I'm also brand new here and never chatted in a diet forum before. I've done SBD a few years ago and lost 25 pounds. Rewarded myself with food, gained it all back and then some. I have a motivation problem. I like to see instant results (wouldn't we all) but I know this is my downfall. There, I feel better already venting. Wishing everyone luck
Hopeful13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Also, over the holiday my brother got engaged so the wedding is my motivation now!!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Kalyn's Kitchen has a great egg bake recipe/guide on the amounts you need for her egg bakes that would fit the bill for that quesadilla quiche to be more SB friendly!

planning kids parties feels so daunting.. my daughter's 1st birthday is this weekend and we don't eat processed food so bringing in bags of french fries and chicken nuggets gave me a lot more anxiety than I expected (I did atleast get the tyson whole grain nuggets) Sure it's just one meal in my house but seriously, this is all most kids I know eat. My daughter is just a year old and the picky phase might start around 16 months but it's just disheartening. I even asked about sweet potato fries (I have some cut up in our freezer), no one knew if their kids would eat it

I ordered sandwich platter (too bad whole foods is too far away to get whole grain bread), veggie tray, cut up fresh fruit (doing this at home), guacamole, hummus, corn tortilla chips, whole grain pretzels, salad, vegetable soup, chicken nuggets and french fries.

Last edited by glitterific; 01-04-2013 at 11:58 AM..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful13 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm also brand new here and never chatted in a diet forum before. I've done SBD a few years ago and lost 25 pounds. Rewarded myself with food, gained it all back and then some. I have a motivation problem. I like to see instant results (wouldn't we all) but I know this is my downfall. There, I feel better already venting. Wishing everyone luck
Glad to have you with us!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Has anyone tried Big Train brand low carb mixes? They have chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, mocha drinks, etc? Tempted on buying a sampler pack.

Amazon.com: Big Train Low Carb Sampler: Health & Personal...Amazon.com: Big Train Low Carb Sampler: Health & Personal...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Kalyn's Kitchen has a great egg bake recipe/guide on the amounts you need for her egg bakes that would fit the bill for that quesadilla quiche to be more SB friendly!

planning kids parties feels so daunting.. my daughter's 1st birthday is this weekend and we don't eat processed food so bringing in bags of french fries and chicken nuggets gave me a lot more anxiety than I expected (I did atleast get the tyson whole grain nuggets) Sure it's just one meal in my house but seriously, this is all most kids I know eat. My daughter is just a year old and the picky phase might start around 16 months but it's just disheartening. I even asked about sweet potato fries (I have some cut up in our freezer), no one knew if their kids would eat it

I ordered sandwich platter (too bad whole foods is too far away to get whole grain bread), veggie tray, cut up fresh fruit (doing this at home), guacamole, hummus, corn tortilla chips, whole grain pretzels, salad, vegetable soup, chicken nuggets and french fries.
Glitter, sounds like you are making the best of the options you have! I agree that so many kids are such picky eaters. Sometimes you just have to take the path of least resistance when you are feeding a crowd. By the way, I cannot believe your daughter is a year already!! Time flies.

So folks, 3 lbs down in 3 days (with a zillion to go to get back to my maintenance weight. LOL)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful13 View Post
Has anyone tried Big Train brand low carb mixes? They have chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, mocha drinks, etc? Tempted on buying a sampler pack.

Amazon.com: Big Train Low Carb Sampler: Health & Personal Care
I wouldn't go there, especially this early in the game.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I wouldn't go there, especially this early in the game.
Hahaha I thought that setting myself up for failure there