Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
December

rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #2

I think, for most people, it's a win if you hold steady from Thanksgiving through New Years. Hold on tight!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Normally, I would agree with you Rose. But after getting on the scale this mornng, I have no choice but to drop some lbs between now and Christmas!!

So I plan to do Phase 1 this week and get myself back on track. Kitchen is stocked with OP foods and I'm ready to go.

And I really, really need to nip the night-time snacking in the bud...ugh.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

What's up with the night-time eating?

What are you eating? Chips? Celery sticks?

Why are you eating? Hungry? Bored? Tired? Sad?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
What's up with the night-time eating?

What are you eating? Chips? Celery sticks?

Why are you eating? Hungry? Bored? Tired? Sad?
I mostly snack on OP foods, such as RF cheese, leftover cooked veggies from dinner, maybe some chicken. We don't keep chips or anything like that in the house. Once in a while I eat WW bread or an english muffin.

Part of the problem is that we eat dinner pretty early because of my husband's schedule (he gets up at 3 AM for work) and I stay up hours after he goes to bed. So I am a little hungry and a bit bored.

I know you suggested tea, but I really don't like hot beverages that much.

I just need to say NO. sigh...

2014 Running Miles: 390
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #6

OK, so if you are eating really early, then maybe your blood sugar has taken a dive. An ounce or so of protein should take care of that without overdoing it. Maybe save a few bites from dinner to allow for a night-time mini-meal. A major problem is that after a "certain age" even a few extra calories can add pounds so gradually--it sneaks up on us.

I don't know when it became common to eat at night. When I was a child, the kitchen was cleaned up after dinner, the kitchen light was turned off and that was the end of eating. If we had dessert, it was eaten at dinner time, not a bowl of ice cream at 10:00. We did homework or watched tv without eating, then toothbrushing and off to bed. Why do I need hot tea at night while I'm reading???

Go to bed earlier?

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
OK, so if you are eating really early, then maybe your blood sugar has taken a dive. An ounce or so of protein should take care of that without overdoing it. Maybe save a few bites from dinner to allow for a night-time mini-meal. A major problem is that after a "certain age" even a few extra calories can add pounds so gradually--it sneaks up on us.

I don't know when it became common to eat at night. When I was a child, the kitchen was cleaned up after dinner, the kitchen light was turned off and that was the end of eating. If we had dessert, it was eaten at dinner time, not a bowl of ice cream at 10:00. We did homework or watched tv without eating, then toothbrushing and off to bed. Why do I need hot tea at night while I'm reading???

Go to bed earlier?
Yes, actually, I have done what you suggested. Eating somewhat lighter at dinner, and having a bite of something no later than 8 PM.

And I agree, we never ate after dinner was over! When did that become okay??
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One day at a time....2.5 lbs off yesterday!! Yes, it was all water weight from vacation, but it's a start.

Cooking a turkey breast for dinner tonight. Love the smell of turkey roasting. I put fresh rosemary and thyme stalks from the garden into the cavity. Yum!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathy25306
It's funny you should mention "closing the kitchen" I did that the entire time my kids were growing up. I would clean the kitchen turn off the light and tell everyone the kitchen was closed. However, now I don't think I could sleep without my night time Greek Yogurt
Cathy25306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy25306 View Post
It's funny you should mention "closing the kitchen" I did that the entire time my kids were growing up. I would clean the kitchen turn off the light and tell everyone the kitchen was closed. However, now I don't think I could sleep without my night time Greek Yogurt
Hot tea here. It's my signal that the day is over!

If we eat after the kitchen is closed, there is more mess to clean up and who wants that??? At least I just have to swish out a tea cup.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
One day at a time....2.5 lbs off yesterday!! Yes, it was all water weight from vacation, but it's a start.

Cooking a turkey breast for dinner tonight. Love the smell of turkey roasting. I put fresh rosemary and thyme stalks from the garden into the cavity. Yum!
Don't you wish that it all came off as fast as it went on.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
I'm thinking of joining WeightWatchers and applying the SouthBeach approach to the eating. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone had success with this?

Nothing is working
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
I'm thinking of joining WeightWatchers and applying the SouthBeach approach to the eating. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone had success with this?

Nothing is working
I havve some friends here at home that have gone that route. They like the physical accountability of a weekly weigh-in, but enjoy eating the SBD or even lower carb style of diet. Since WW is all about the points and eating a balanced plan, it seems like it should be okay.

Whatever works!!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Hey all. Been a while.

Happy to report that I've lost thirty pounds so far since 8/1. Took me a while but I'm prettyhappy about it.

Started at 185. Currently 155. Close to my goal. 4 months, 30 pounds lost.

However, my exercise (lifting) has hit a stall as I injured myself a few weeks back. I was making such great strength gains too! =( But I've been back in the gym as of Monday and will be going again tonight.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeschain927 View Post
Hey all. Been a while.

Happy to report that I've lost thirty pounds so far since 8/1. Took me a while but I'm prettyhappy about it.

Started at 185. Currently 155. Close to my goal. 4 months, 30 pounds lost.

However, my exercise (lifting) has hit a stall as I injured myself a few weeks back. I was making such great strength gains too! =( But I've been back in the gym as of Monday and will be going again tonight.
Take it slowly and don't overdo. I broke my foot and cracked my kneecap a while back and it really threw my exercise for a loop and I gained 12 pounds.

for the weight loss!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:

Nothing is working
Why isn't anything working?

WW really can help with portion/calorie control. I think it was their Core program that was very similar to SB. I don't see why logging points or whatever wouldn't be helpful. Why not give it a whirl, but keep checking in here of course.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I dont know why nothing is working Age? Courses of Prednisone? Accountability? Denial? Wish I knew! lol
All I know is I want to make the right changes. SB has worked for me in the past, and I maintained for 4 years. But its been a struggle and a challenge the past few years and the weight has snuck up to a new high. Its depressing I must not be something right.
Thinking maybe Im eating too much? Not enough? Maybe WW will help me with proper portion sizes. Although I hate counting calories and measuring, etc. That is why I always liked SB. And I wasnt hungry, and for a long while there...I had been successful. And it was an easy plan to just stick too. Easy Lifestyle change.
Wish it would work again...lol
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
I dont know why nothing is working Age? Courses of Prednisone? Accountability? Denial? Wish I knew! lol
All I know is I want to make the right changes. SB has worked for me in the past, and I maintained for 4 years. But its been a struggle and a challenge the past few years and the weight has snuck up to a new high. Its depressing I must not be something right.
Thinking maybe Im eating too much? Not enough? Maybe WW will help me with proper portion sizes. Although I hate counting calories and measuring, etc. That is why I always liked SB. And I wasnt hungry, and for a long while there...I had been successful. And it was an easy plan to just stick too. Easy Lifestyle change.
Wish it would work again...lol
Prednisone sure works against you. Stress? Lack of sleep? Age!

Post a typical day's menu and let's take a look. Little things sneak in.

I can't see why WW wouldn't help with an idea of how much you should reasonably be eating. How many points would you get, do you know?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I pretty much eat the same combo of things due to convience, work, and what I keep on hand.

Typical day is:

B 2 eggs, either an omelette, hardboiled, or scrambled. Slice of RF cheese on eggs or stick of string cheese, and V8. If Im on Phase 2 I add a HF english muffin

S is either a cup non fat plain yogurt with almonds or a 4oz LF cottage cheese cup. Phase 2 I add a piece of fruit

L is a salad with RF dressing. Lean sliced meat from the deli, tuna, eggs, and/or RF cheese on it, steak tips, or broiled chicken. Mostly packed from home, sometimes ordered out at work

D is beef or chicken with a green vegetable and/or more salad. glass of white wine if Im on phase 2
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BH, I'll let Rose give you her view on the menu, but it looks pretty clean to me. Although I have to say that I have trouble losing when I have wine on a daily basis. For example, right now, I am on the "weekday wagon" and only indulge with my wine on the weekend.

How about exercise?

As for me, I'm holding steady at 2.5 lbs gone this week. I, sadly , have lot more to lose.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Happy December! I'm continuing to go down, eat on plan. I have to meal plan for next week and need to refresh on how to incorporate phase 2 foods. I should also mention that I'm leading the women in the weight loss challenge at work. If I would have waited to start, I would be beating everyone! I've lost 7% of my starting weight <3

Wiz, 2.5lbs is sooo good.. it will come off slow n steady as long as it's steady in inches and pounds, you are doing great! It's a long road but that's why you are here for us to help support you <3

I did do Weight Watchers before I came back from the beach.. I had a hard time measuring so much and keeping to SB

Last edited by glitterific; 12-06-2012 at 11:17 AM..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Great job glitter!

I havent been able to exercise yet wiz, been struggling to control my asthma. Would like to start Callenetics again very soon. And have been thinking of maybe taking up yoga. Anyone have any opinions on yoga? Never done it. As far as wine, I definately think it thwarts my efforts when I am trying to lose. Even though its ok on phase 2, I think its something I will need to enjoy on weekends like you say, or even something to hold off until phase 3. Something is definately getting in the way

Rose, I would be allowed 26 points on WW. Not sure if that is the way to go for me. Back to phase 1. Again

Today I had:

B 2 scrambled eggs, slice of RF cheese, V8

S 4oz LF cottage cheese

L we ordered out. I had a salad with grilled chicken and feta. RF dressing which I hardly used any of.

D small chicken breast that was stuffed with bacon and cheese (maybe equalivant to 1/2 slice of bacon and 1oz cheese...a very small amount, roasted brussel sprouts, tossed salad with RF ranch dressing.

Lots of water, 2 cans of seltzer
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I got some blood work results back.. I was just finishing induction and my #s looked good (the cholesterol primer thread here was very good

Breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon and unsweetened coconut/almond milk, coffee with HH and a couple bites of banana (leftover from my daughter's breakfast)
Lunch: chickpeas & beef with steamed broccoli
Snack: cheese stick and 15 almond
Dinner: chicken stir fry and brown rice
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Friday is my official weigh-in day...3.5 lbs off since Monday. Not quite the 4 lbs I was hoping for. But a good start. I need to lose 6.5 lbs more to get back to my Maintenance weight. Yup, 10 lbs I gained - although it was over a long period of time.

Glitter, glad to hear your #s look so good.

BH, yeah, I understand about the asthma, that is very tough. A lot of my friends swear by yoga, although I still think you need to combine it with other activities. How do you do with walking? Does that kick up your asthma?

TGIF!! I'd love to drop that other .5 lb over the weekend. We'll see....
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
crap...kinda feel silly but I gotta stay honest.

I weighed myself again last night and saw 153 again and was still kinda confused I managed to be there so quickly. So I stepped off the scale and low and behold the needle dropped 3-4 pounds BELOW the zero mark. You know in those older scales there's like an adjustment knob to make sure the needle is positioned on the Zero? Well it must've been touched at some point messing up the readings. LOL. Sucks. But anyways, I'm still 157-158. Sigh. Which means I'm NOT on track to hit my goal of 150 by 12/31.

I remain in good spirits though and still happy about my progress so far.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeschain927 View Post
crap...kinda feel silly but I gotta stay honest.

I weighed myself again last night and saw 153 again and was still kinda confused I managed to be there so quickly. So I stepped off the scale and low and behold the needle dropped 3-4 pounds BELOW the zero mark. You know in those older scales there's like an adjustment knob to make sure the needle is positioned on the Zero? Well it must've been touched at some point messing up the readings. LOL. Sucks. But anyways, I'm still 157-158. Sigh. Which means I'm NOT on track to hit my goal of 150 by 12/31.

I remain in good spirits though and still happy about my progress so far.
OK, my friend, time to buy a digital scale!!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Wiz, in the warmer months, I do love to take brisk walks...a few miles at a time. But with my asthma I have reactive airway disease. I do terrible in the cold I pay for a snow plow for my driveway because I couldnt even use a snow blower in the cold. My lungs close right up. I know I need to find SOMETHING to keep me active as my age creeps up. And everyone has their excuses. I would like something that fits into my schedule and doesnt over exert me. Probably why I lean towards the callenetics.
Today I ate:

2 scrambled eggs with a slice of RF cheese

1 cup nonfat yogurt with a package of equal, sprinkle of slivered almonds

tossed salad with 3oz turkey, 1oz RF swiss, and Rf ranch dressing

out for dinner: plain steak tip salad with provolone cheese and italian dressing

coffee with skim milk, water, and seltzer
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all, off to San Fran for business this week. I really hope it is my last trip for the year! I'll check in when I get back - hope you all have a great week
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

safe travels! I second a digital scale

I dropped a lot of weight this week (2lbs is a lot in Phase II)and I'm very confused but won't be startled if the scale doesn't move next week.. my measurements moved a lot.. down another notch in the belt.. I need to go digging for some jeans in the attic.. I have never lost this steadily before.. I really thought after having a baby it would be very hard, I am very very thankful.. I added steel cut oatmeal in addition to a fruit.. I'm adding in very slowly..
Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #30

Buckhuntress, I really don't see a problem with your menus as you outlined them. You might be a little short on vegetables and maybe give up the wine for the duration. Give yourself time to clear out the prednisone, get enough sleep (ha), de-stress ( double ha ) and continue to eat well. Interestingly, Callanetics is my major de-stressor.