Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
Which book should I buy?

I was just looking to buy the South Beach Diet book and found so many versions. Which book is best to buy for a beginner?

TIA
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Camille
WOE: South Beach Ph1
Start Date: Restarted April 22, 2013
I like the new(er) "South Beach Supercharged" one... it has an updated food list, some good recipes for each phase, and it give you tips for how to build a simple exercise routine into your diet plan. This book also has more up to date information on the health benefits of South Beach - it was written 10 or so years after the first one, so Dr. Agaston has more statistics to work with. I think we all have a general idea of the health effects of eating poorly, but somehow seeing all those statistics in print is always a little bit shocking!

For daily cooking, I have the (orange) South Beach Cookbook and the (gold) Super Quick Cookbook. The gold one is my favourite at the moment - (almost) everything in there can be made in 30 minutes or less! I've used these recipes when my non-dieting friends come over for dinner, and they can't tell that they're eating "diet" food.

My advice would be to get as many of the books out of the library as you can, and then decide which ones you think will suit your tastes best.
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Okay. I figured it out. There was a 2003 edition and 2005. I bought 2005.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
I like the new(er) "South Beach Supercharged" one... it has an updated food list, some good recipes for each phase, and it give you tips for how to build a simple exercise routine into your diet plan. This book also has more up to date information on the health benefits of South Beach - it was written 10 or so years after the first one, so Dr. Agaston has more statistics to work with. I think we all have a general idea of the health effects of eating poorly, but somehow seeing all those statistics in print is always a little bit shocking!

For daily cooking, I have the (orange) South Beach Cookbook and the (gold) Super Quick Cookbook. The gold one is my favourite at the moment - (almost) everything in there can be made in 30 minutes or less! I've used these recipes when my non-dieting friends come over for dinner, and they can't tell that they're eating "diet" food.

My advice would be to get as many of the books out of the library as you can, and then decide which ones you think will suit your tastes best.
Thank you!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Camille
WOE: South Beach Ph1
Start Date: Restarted April 22, 2013
I was just flipping through my books (planning dinner) and I thought I'd point out that the Orange cookbook seems to have a lot more Phase 2 & 3 recipes in it, whereas the Super Quick book seems to have more Phase 1 recipes.

I think that's why I like the Super Quick book better, even though I hadn't really thought about it before.
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote