Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
What can I do as a vegetarian with fresh cranberries? They are on sale at my local store and I would like to take advantage of it. Can you mix them with yogurt with enough sweetener? Any ideas would be great!
Of course, we make our own cranbery sauce using splenda, but we cut the measurement way back. Apples and cranberries cook well together. Use a sweet variety of apple rather than tart ones and the apples add enough sweetness that you don't have to add additional sweetener, IMO. Baked ricotta is delicous with a cranberry, orange, apple chutney type mixture. You can freeze these mixtures, also.

How ya doin?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Now post some of your low carb vegetarian menus!! I'm trying to just eat fish and no other animal proteins and this is tough! I may have to try grains again and see how it goes......
Sure, when I get a chance I'll post some more menus, as it has been a few months since I've done so. Also, I don't eat low carb. In fact lately I've been going as high as 200 grams per day on Phase II.

Interestingly, when I did Atkins Induction years ago my blood sugar was over 100. Since I switched to South Beach, eating plenty of carbs in the form of whole grains, beans, fresh fruit and veggies, my blood sugar is now consistently in the 70's. I suppose it's all the fiber. Most days I get 50 grams of fiber, sometimes more if I've made a pot of my three-bean chili.

As for protein, do you eat eggs, soy, or dairy products?

Hang in there!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Jim- I eat everything right now except for grains, but I think I want to try to give up all meat. I probably will still eat fish. I may try a little bit of grains again and see how I feel. Seems I still have trouble if I eat alot of wheat so I will see how it goes if I just eat a little. I bought a few morningstar farms veggie stuff also. I seem to lose weight faster with less carbs but since I lost most of what I wanted to I do not mind more carbs at this point.
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #94
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Good morning!

I just finished up a 4-mile run and have a nice crustless veggie quiche in the oven. Hopefully, my work day cooperates and I can just ease into the weekend!!

I'll keep you all posted on how I do in tomorrow's 5 K. I did win my age group in this race last year (and won a prize!), so I'm hoping I can do it again. It's great running weather here in the northeast, cool and sunny!

Hey Jim, missed you buddy, nice to see you back here!!

Michele, I probably could give up meat if I had to...but honestly, I really enjoy my occasional burger, steak or pork chop. And geez, I live off chicken! My problem in eating fish is that I only like shellfish - no fishy fish.

Rose, have you been eating regularly?? Thinking of you.

OK, time to get cracking. I have no intention of having to work late today!!

2014 Running Miles: 224
2014 Walking Miles: 214
2014 Biking Miles: 380
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

wiz- I do not like fishy fish either and I like shellfish and mild fish with BUTTER! I am such an animal lover that I really should not be eating meat. I try not to think about it when I'm eating it but lately it is bothering me more so I'm thinking maybe it is time to try and give it up. Truthfully I hardly ever ate meat or any animal proteins before South Beach, but I did eat alot of crappy carbs not healthy ones. I hardly used to eat any protein at all. If I had my way I would live on soup and salad and cheeses, so I may as well try that and try to do it SB style. The trouble as usual is figuring out the menu!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Michele
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

My menu for today.

I know there are a lot more grapes than we are technically allowed to eat in Phase II but I have a bag that needs used up today before they go bad so I worked them in. I'll eat them throughout the day as snacks along with my crackers, hummus and cheese so at least I'll be eating some fat and protein along with them. Other than that, your comments are welcome!

Brewed tea, 3 cups
Kashi GoLean cereal, 1 serving
Walnuts, 1/2 ounce
Skim milk, 1/2 cup
Hard-boiled eggs, 3
Triscuits, 2 servings
Homemade hummus, 1/4 cup
Cherry tomatoes, 12
Tofu, firm, 1/4 block
Broccoli florets, 1 pound bag
Baby bella mushrooms, 1/2 package
Onion, 1 medium
Long grain brown rice, 1 serving
Canola oil, 1 tbsp
Soy sauce, low sodium, 2 tbsp
Cabot cheese, 75% reduced fat, 2 oz
Red grapes, 2 cups

Total calories: 1826
Total carbohydrate: 236g
Fiber: 42g
Protein: 95g
Fat: 69g
Saturated fat: 13g
(6% of calories)

My macronutrient ratio typically works out to 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein.
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jim- I love your menu! Looks delicious!!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Michele... I do love my menu!

At minimum, I try to put at least a full pound of vegetables in my stir-fry and it's usually enough to eat for both lunch and dinner. I'm vegetarian primarily for health reasons but I have tons of respect for you wanting to make it an ethical choice. While I don't think there's anything inherently 'wrong' with meat-eating I do oppose factory farming and if I had any morals whatsoever I would give up eggs and dairy as well since they are two of the cruelest industries.

Rose, I should definitely try making homemade cranberry sauce this year! It'll be tough to abandon tradition though, as I am one of those people who think 'real' cranberry sauce ought to be shaped like a can. Interestingly I have zero problem eating Tofurky for Thanksgiving but take away my store-bought, sliceable, preformed, cranberry product with the ridges on it? That's just crazy talk!

Wiz, I know what you mean about fishy-fish. I blame my mom for forcing us to eat way too many salmon cakes as kids, because to this day I can't stand the smell. Now you put me down in front of some freshly steamed lobster or crab? You better get your arm out of the way cuz it's gonna be a feeding frenzy!

Hi again Cindy!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Today:
B- 1 oz fresh mozzarella, 2 cups mushroom soup
l- 2 slices light ww bread, 1 tbsp evoo, 1 large red pepper,
s- 1 piece broc egg white and cheese crustless quiche
d- 1 ww eng muffin, 1 garden veggie patty
I will have 2 glasses of wine tonight out with friends

Total of 1200 calories

I'm trying the grains and soy and eliminating meat so I will see how I feel. So far my belly is pretty bloated, but I doubled my usual fiber and tripled my "good" carbs so I will give this a week and see if I gain weight. Oh, also my sodium is way too high today!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #100
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, Jim, my husband's family loves that can-shaped cranberry too! It drives me crazy to serve it at Thanksgiving, but if I don't - there is a general outcry.

Finished up a 5K this morning. While I bettered my time from last year over this course, some other 50+ year old woman kicked my butt and won our age group. Oh well! Second isn't too bad and I was 37th overall.

FYI. Had a great dinner out last night...my husband and I split a salad of field greens, asparagus, goat cheese with a white balsamic vinaigrette and a 12-inch WW pizza with roasted veggies (2 slices for me, 4 for him!). How's that for a vegetarian meal??

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:44 AM   #101
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Jim!

Wiz; that dinner sounds heavenly to me!!!

DD21 is a vegetarian and has told me if I eat meat, to please be conscious as to where I buy it from. I have been trying to do that!
Radmom413 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Wiz, congratulations! We're all so proud of you!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #103
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wiz, congratulations! We're all so proud of you!
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Brunch- 2 slices fresh mozz and tomatoes
d-salad and a ton of mussels in hot sauce and white wine sauce(probably alot of butter in there though because it tasted so good)
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #105
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

5 mile run is done, so it is a good start to the week. Now I just need to get some meals planned. Monday snuck up on me and...ooops....the cupboards are bare! The beauty of working from home is I can spend my lunch at the local supermarket doing my food shopping.

I am really ready for a good week of OP eating! How about you all??
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #106

Good job, Wiz. What race is next?

To all you canned cranberry sauce people...When you get your sauce cooked thick, pour it into a clean can and stick it in the fridge overnight. Canned sauce! Of course, it won't fool the sugary Ocean Spray folks, but we like to do the slices and this works. Ok, ok, it's not the same.....it's better.

Wiz, no I'm not eating, but I'm working on it. Really.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Rose, did I miss something during my absence? Why are you not eating?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #108

Quote:
Rose, did I miss something during my absence? Why are you not eating?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/em...afternoon.html
Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #109
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=rose1;15116532]

Good job, Wiz. What race is next?

QUOTE]

Next up is a very fun run! It's a Monster Dash 5K and most everyone will be in some kind of costume. It benefits the local Fire and First Aid departments. Although it is supposed to rain, so if the race gets moved to Sunday I will have to bow out due to other commitments. We'll see...

I made a very simple Chicken, Mushroom and Leek Soup for dinner tonight. (The recipe was called a stew, but to my mind it was a soup.)

Chicken, Mushroom and Leek Soup

- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly slice (full disclosure: leeks were crazy expensive at the store, so I used 2 bunches of scallions instead, cut into 1-inch pieces. Tasted fine!)
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (use low salt/low fat if you use canned)
1 TB chopped thyme (I had fresh in my garden, but you can substitute 1 heaping teas of dried thyme)
2 TB light sour cream
2 teas Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

- In large frying pan, coat with cooking spray or 1 teas EVOO, and saute leeks over med-high heat until tender, about 5 mins. Add the mushrooms and saute 4 minutes longer. Saeson with salt and pepper. Scrape onto large plate.

- In same pan, recoat with cooking spray or add another teas of EVOO, cook chicken bites over med heat until browned. Add chicken stock and thyme and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 2 mins. Using slotted spoon, remove chicken onto plate with vegetables.

- Simmer stock until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return chicken and vegetables to pan, simmering over low heat.

- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and mustard in small bowl. Add to the soup stirring to blend. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls.

Very easy and quite tasty! It was dubbed a "keeper" by my husband

Have a good evening folks!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #110
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Rose
I am still praying for you.I just lost my mom this past Friday.I was holding her hand and she went home to be with Jesus.
But I am sure it isn't like losing a husband. Please know time will help.Again take care of yourself.... your DH would want that
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Rose- It will take time. Time will ease your pain, but not your memories. Those live on forever. Make sure you take care of you though!

Michele
Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

So sorry for your loss Roberta. The worst part of living is losing people we love.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #113
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Roberta, I am so very sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you.

And darn it, Rose, eat!

5-mile run this morning, crustless veggie quiche in the oven, chicken breasts poached for putting over salad for lunches this week, and a big ole ham bone in the crockpot with loads of veggies, home-made chicken stock, white beans, etc. for dinner tonight. I'm focused!!

Have a good day Beachers!!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #114
Berta48

Quote:
So sorry for your loss Roberta. The worst part of living is losing people we love.
Thanks Michelle
Mom was 93 so I had her a long time.She had not been well for some time so really it is a blessing as she isn't suffering any longer.I will miss her though.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #115
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Roberta, I am so very sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you.

And darn it, Rose, eat!

5-mile run this morning, crustless veggie quiche in the oven, chicken breasts poached for putting over salad for lunches this week, and a big ole ham bone in the crockpot with loads of veggies, home-made chicken stock, white beans, etc. for dinner tonight. I'm focused!!

Have a good day Beachers!!
Thank you Wiz.
How sweet of you!It is always so hard losing someone we love.But we need to rememer that is one appointment we all will keep one day and unfortunaltely there is no age limit! I am just so thankful Mom knew Jesus as her Savior because there is no other way into heaven! So I know where she is! And she is free of pain and sorrow and she will never shed a tear again:up.There at the last she would just sit and cry all the time,It about broke my heart to see her cry as she was one never to cry before.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

How annoying! College Inn vegetable broth has added sugar in it. I wanted a vegetable broth and I don't want to make my own! How can I tell if things that have a little sugar in them have too much sugar or are ok to eat on SBD. Every soup I find has something "illegal" in it. I also found a cereal with fiber but it says evaporated cane juice in it which we all know what that is. But one serving has 4 grams total sugar. Is that ok? I also bought reduced sugar ketchup but real ketchup doesn't look so bad to me. It's these little things that annoy me!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #117
Berta48

Quote:
How annoying! College Inn vegetable broth has added sugar in it. I wanted a vegetable broth and I don't want to make my own! How can I tell if things that have a little sugar in them have too much sugar or are ok to eat on SBD. Every soup I find has something "illegal" in it. I also found a cereal with fiber but it says evaporated cane juice in it which we all know what that is. But one serving has 4 grams total sugar. Is that ok? I also bought reduced sugar ketchup but real ketchup doesn't look so bad to me. It's these little things that annoy me!!!
Michele
That was some of the things that bugged me too. And on SS income being a fixed income we can't really afford the Health Foods. Why oh why,do they have to make what is healthy so expensive?
I don't get it

Heintz Low sugar Ketchup is SB acceptable if I remember right. And I thinkthings with 2gms or less of sugar. SOOO since I am not sure better ask Rose or Wiz or one of the SB VETS!

Last edited by Berta48; 10-25-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Michele
That was some of the things that bugged me too. And on SS income being a fixed income we can't really afford the Health Foods. Why oh why,do they have to make what is healthy so expensive?
I don't get it

Heintz Low sugar Ketchup is SB acceptable if I remember right. And I thinkthings with 2gms or less of sugar. SOOO since I am not sure better ask Rose or Wiz or one of the SB VETS!
It drives me bonkers for sure. I just stare at the labels in confusion! Reading all the books over and over doesn't help either. They really should continure to put South Beach approved on labels, although the cereal they made didn't seem all that healthy to me. I just don't have time to make everything from scratch nor do I want to every single day. I need an approved convenience food list.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #119
Berta48

Quote:
It drives me bonkers for sure. I just stare at the labels in confusion! Reading all the books over and over doesn't help either. They really should continure to put South Beach approved on labels, although the cereal they made didn't seem all that healthy to me. I just don't have time to make everything from scratch nor do I want to every single day. I need an approved convenience food list.
Only thing I can think of is frozen veggies I don't even see SB foods on the shelves anymore
It certainly is a challenge.
I enjoy my new way of eating although it hasn't been good this past two weeks because of sitting in the nursing home with mom.But back on track now.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad you are back on track Berta!