Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #61
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Good morning!

I just finished up a 5-mile run. The next 3 out of 4 weekends, I am entered in running races so I am doing some serious training. I want to win my age group!

Eating was pretty good this weekend, but I'm still not feeling back in my groove. I need a really good week of exercise and home cooking, and that's exactly what I have planned!

Hope everyone has a great week!
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
What does her dr say. Does she have diabetes? Is she pre-diabetic? Did he talk to her about her diet at all?

There is a strong correlation between out-of-whack blood sugar and heart disease. SB, if followed properly, absolutely will reverse blood sugar issues in almost all cases. Or she could follow Bernstein or something like that. Honestly, she is probably more likely to follow her friend's advice than yours. I've been through it with my mother ad naseum. Just staying under a magic number of carbs a day isn't quite what we're after; the choices matter greatly. 30 carbs of fresh veggies or 30 carbs of wonder bread?
She does not have diabetes. At least I do not think she does. Her blood sugar came out high on her recent blood work. I suggested she follow SBD and just stay off grains for awhile but her friend suggested the magic carb number. I was just wondering if people with sugar problems on SBD need to watch carb count. Some SBD friendly foods like yogurt,fruit and beans are pretty high. I am thinking her friend must be more Atkins. All she does is follow staying under 30 net carbs a day. I'm thinking my mom needs a trip to the nutritionist. Her friend did get her blood sugar back to normal after about 1 year though by staying under 30 net carbs a day.
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
She does not have diabetes. At least I do not think she does. Her blood sugar came out high on her recent blood work. I suggested she follow SBD and just stay off grains for awhile but her friend suggested the magic carb number. I was just wondering if people with sugar problems on SBD need to watch carb count. Some SBD friendly foods like yogurt,fruit and beans are pretty high. I am thinking her friend must be more Atkins. All she does is follow staying under 30 net carbs a day. I'm thinking my mom needs a trip to the nutritionist. Her friend did get her blood sugar back to normal after about 1 year though by staying under 30 net carbs a day.
Everything is so individual. Blood sugar almost always takes care of itself if you follow SB as written. The carb count takes care of itself if you do it right. There is so much more to eating than just counting carbs. You have to factor in the nutrition of your choices, for example the minerals in real food that help you metabolize your food. Look at the food value of squash as opposed to brownies. I'm not happy with just looking at the carb count.

Is her dr going to monitor the situation?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Good morning!

I just finished up a 5-mile run. The next 3 out of 4 weekends, I am entered in running races so I am doing some serious training. I want to win my age group!

Eating was pretty good this weekend, but I'm still not feeling back in my groove. I need a really good week of exercise and home cooking, and that's exactly what I have planned!

We'll be TEAM WIZ and cheer you on.

Today is the day I string one good SB day together. I brought all my food for the day and set reminders to eat!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Everything is so individual. Blood sugar almost always takes care of itself if you follow SB as written. The carb count takes care of itself if you do it right. There is so much more to eating than just counting carbs. You have to factor in the nutrition of your choices, for example the minerals in real food that help you metabolize your food. Look at the food value of squash as opposed to brownies. I'm not happy with just looking at the carb count.

Is her dr going to monitor the situation?
She is following up with her doctor. I agree about the quality of carbs! Some people totally disagree. They would rather eat a stick of butter because it has zero carbs! Who the heck knows what is right anymore!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #66
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Michelle
I think like you told me.Each person has to find what works for them.
I have lost the last two weeks on my new plan.I eat low fat and watch my sodium and carbs.I hate having to do that..... but at least I can have potatoes( small )and my bread Whole Grain.Actually there isn't anyting I can't have if I use portion control.I love it!!I had a small piece of Chocolate cake last weekYes... I wanted more... but I didn't
I am Diabetic(2) and have been for six years now.Not on insulin because of controling with my eating.

Last edited by Berta48; 10-17-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Yeah!!!! for you BERTA. I'm so glad this is working for you! Good to hear!!

Michele
Old 10-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #68
Berta48

Quote:
Yeah!!!! for you BERTA. I'm so glad this is working for you! Good to hear!!

Michele
Thanks Michele
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tconerly
Stats: 173/166/145
Start Date: restart: 1/31/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Good morning!

Wiz, that is awesome! I ran my first half marathon in Feb. I have another one coming up in March, and I am actually considering doing the full this time. Yikes! Good luck in your races!
tconerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

I just want 1/10 of your energy WIZ! Good luck to you in your running!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janicew77
Hello everyone, I am new to this.... Have tried Atkins, but can't seem to stay on it for long. Hoping SB, with the added variety will do the trick. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the no-carb "Miracle Noodles", if they are OK on SB and any other comments you all might have. Thanks, looking forward to this journey!
janicew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Ugh, catered lunch for the IV certification I had to take yesterday. Chicken salad sandwich, potato salad, cookie....I did pass up the sweet rolls and juice offered at the beginning of the class.

Gotta get back on track today...Hope everyone is doing well
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #73
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Beachers!!

4-mile run this morning, felt great. However, in the not-so-great department, I got on the scale for the first time in 3 weeks. (yeah, I know...it's never good to go that long without weighing.) It was depressing. I knew I had gained weight, I can see it around my stomach. But ugh, I gained 5 (!!) lbs.

Too much business travel, vacation travel and just plain old not being attentive to what goes in my mouth.

Hopefully some of it is water weight from ToM, but crap, this is the highest I've seen on the scale since last Jan. 2nd. Good thing my husband and I agreed to do this Thanksgiving challenge...I just have to keep on being focused and get this off. sigh.

tconerly, while I love to run, I'm not sure my old decrepit knees and feet would allow me to go that long at one time. 7 miles is about my limit. Good for you on the marathoning!!

Janice, welcome!! No, I haven't tried those noodles, sorry.

I'll keep you all posted on how I do with these races. This week is a nice, short one - 5K here in town. Next week is more of a fun event, you take the train in Halloween costume (!!) and then run back to the original location in Asbury Park. You can choose to run 1, 4 or 6 miles depending on what station you pick. I'm doing 4 miles with a bunch of neighbors. Then 2 weeks after that I am doing a 5-mile Turkey Trot - that one has some seriously fast runners.

Later!

2014 Running Miles: 220
2014 Walking Miles: 189
2014 Biking Miles: 350
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by janicew77 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this.... Have tried Atkins, but can't seem to stay on it for long. Hoping SB, with the added variety will do the trick. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the no-carb "Miracle Noodles", if they are OK on SB and any other comments you all might have. Thanks, looking forward to this journey!
They taste like rubber bands. I much prefer zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash as a noodle replacement. However, if you like them, they are ok for SB. to the Beach
Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #75
Berta48

Quote:
Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here is a link to a whole lot about the miracle noodles.
Everything Shiratake...

Michele
Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janicew77
Thank you all for the welcome, and info on the Miracle Noodles.... I did order the angelhair pasta ones, we'll give them a try! I also bought two South Beach books, the original and the "Supercharged" version. Made the Vegetable Moussaka recipe from the second SB version..... It was DELICIOUS!! If the rest of SB recipes are anywhere near as good, this is going to be FUN!!!
janicew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #78
Berta48

I just found this recipe.I thought it sounded like something you SBeachers might enjoy.

Get your serving of vegetables with this French-inspired sandwich featuring eggplant, red pepper, tomato and spinach. A balsamic vinegar and yogurt dressing is low-fat and delicious.

Cooking Time: 45 min

Ingredients
1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced thick
1 sweet red pepper, quartered
1 medium tomato, halved
1 small onion, sliced thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
1 round loaf Italian bread(SB Friendly Bread)
2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup tightly packed spinach leaves
Instructions
1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2.Coat a large baking sheet with no-stick spray. Arrange the eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and onions on the sheet. Brush with the oil. Sprinkle with the garlic and rosemary.

3.Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.

4.Split the bread horizontally and scoop out the interior, leaving a 1" shell. (Reserve the bread for another use.)

5.Spread the yogurt over the bottom of the shell, then sprinkle with the vinegar.

6.Arrange the vegetables in the bottom of the shell. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Top with the spinach.

7.Place the top of the bread over the filling. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until chilled. Cut to 8 wedges.

8.To freeze, pack the cooled roasted vegetables tightly into freezer-quality plastic containers, To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
[/B]

Last edited by Berta48; 10-18-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #79
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Just finished up 15 miles on my exercise bike, felt good.

I made some butternut squash last night that was terrific and simple. The already cubed squash was on sale, so I took a 20-oz package and coated it with 1 TB EVOO, 2 TB fresh parsley (still growing in my herb garden!), 2 minced cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. It tasted like a scampi sauce on the squash. Yum-o.

Janice, I've never tried that Moussaka receipe, looks like I may have to!

Have a great day gang!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

I would assume I should not even be reading or writing here right now seeing that I just ate a half a bag of potato chips and plenty of dip for breakfast!

Birthday party leftovers. I resisted at the party and for three more days and then....

I seem to have so much trouble staying on plan!

Michele
Old 10-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #81
Berta48

Quote:
I would assume I should not even be reading or writing here right now seeing that I just ate a half a bag of potato chips and plenty of dip for breakfast!

Birthday party leftovers. I resisted at the party and for three more days and then....

Michele
Been there done that.Yesterday as a matter of fact! Except I ate the veggie chips all day long!
Definetley NOT veggies. They were made from veggies but fried!
BUT today is a new day.Just hop back in there!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #82

Quote:

Michele
Aaaaccckk!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Aaaaccckk!

Those darn potatoes!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #84
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm right with you Michele! I can pass up sweets any time, it's those darn potatoes...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I think Dr. A should make potatoes legal! lol No, I guess he probably shouldn't. But, I would like it if he did!

All I know is I hope you are all doing better than I am this week!!

Michele
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
What can I do as a vegetarian with fresh cranberries? They are on sale at my local store and I would like to take advantage of it. Can you mix them with yogurt with enough sweetener? Any ideas would be great!
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Jim- low carb cranberry recipes - About.com : Low Carb Diets

I hope this link works. And it is ok for me to post links...
I made the cranberry flax muffins. They were pretty good.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #88
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Jim!!!!!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Hiya Cindy!
Thanks for the link, Michele!
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
Hiya Cindy!
Thanks for the link, Michele!
Your very welcome Jim! Now post some of your low carb vegetarian menus!! I'm trying to just eat fish and no other animal proteins and this is tough! I may have to try grains again and see how it goes......