Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Breakfast- no eggs

hey, DH and I are trying to cook more at home and really do this... DH cant handle eggs in the morning... quiche cups are our as are scrambled eggs or even fried or poached eggs. Anyone have suggestions about breakfast alternatives? I was wondering about the bean bread/muffins on here..

TIA,
Wendy
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
hey, DH and I are trying to cook more at home and really do this... DH cant handle eggs in the morning... quiche cups are our as are scrambled eggs or even fried or poached eggs. Anyone have suggestions about breakfast alternatives? I was wondering about the bean bread/muffins on here..

TIA,
Wendy
I wouldn't get started on the bean bread--it's a slippery slope. How about baked ricotta, or cottage cheese and veggies, or yogurt, meat rollups OR leftover dinner?

A protein drink made with whey protein powder?

Last edited by rose1; 05-04-2011 at 01:23 PM..
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
I have the same thing every AM- 1/2 Fiber One Original cereal with 1/2 C berries and 1/2 C skim milk or unsweetened almond milk. But I don't know what your carb allowance is for the day. Breakfast is my "carby" meal for the day. Plus, it keeps me regular (sorry!).
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beachbum
WOE: SB, low carb
I've never tried the bean bread recipes and have read mixed reviews. I use flax meal and some almond meal when making muffins. Chia is supposed to be good too, but I haven't tried that yet. I'm satisfied with flax seed and get it at a great price from my local farmer's market. With anything, flax intake should be moderated. It's almost all fiber and can run through your system in a hurry if you overindulge. Having said all that, we usually have flax once a day.

Here are some breakfast recipes that I've gathered here and there. I can't take credit except for some minor tweaks.

Flax Seed Meal Pancakes

1/2 C egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
3 T flax seed meal (I prefer golden)
1 t baking powder
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t granulated sugar substitute
cinnamon to taste

Whisk egg substitute then add ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or so on each side. For fluffier pancakes, let the batter stand 4-5 minutes before pouring. Makes two good sized pancakes. Possible variations include nutmeg, ginger... extracts and SF syrups. (I use Torani). When making pigs in a blanket add SF maple syrup (I use Walden Farms) and wrap around a turkey sausage. We love trying different flavors and make these several times a week. My boys have come up with a chocolate banana concoction that only kids could love.

Cinnamon/Nutmeg Muffins

1 1/4 C flax seed meal
2 t baking Powder
1 T cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt (I use no salt)
3/4 C granulated sugar substitute
4 eggs
1/4 C oil
1/2 C water
1 T vanilla
1/2 C chopped pecans

Mix dry ingredients (I use a whisk), add beaten eggs and the rest to the dry. Let batter stand 10 minutes then spoon into a greased muffin pan. Bake 18 minutes at 350 degrees.

Banana Nut Muffins

2 C flax meal
1 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C granulated sugar substitute
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 T banana extract
1/2 C vanilla
1/4 C oil
4 eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk eggs and add other wet ingredients to the dry mixture. Spoon into sprayed muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or so. These are my favs and VERY filling. You can also pour batter into a loaf pan for banana bread. Served warm with some ICBINB or Parkay spray and yummo!

Peanut Butter Muffins

1/2 C egg white (3-4 eggs)
1/4 C flax meal
1/4 C almond meal (or double flax)
1/4 C granular sugar substitute
1/2 C low sugar peanut butter (I use I.M. Healthy)
1/4 C ricotta cheese (I sub tofu)
1 t vanilla
1 t baking soda

Melt peanut butter in microwave and mix all ingredients together. Spoon into mini muffin cups (I use a bite size brownie silicone mat) and bake for 15 minutes or so at 350 degrees. Variations include adding cocoa, chocolate chips or SF chocolate syrup. My kids absolutely love when I add 1t of chocolate Torani syrup and slivered Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips to the batter. My youngest takes it a step further and sprinkles cocoa on top before baking - very decadent.

Hope this helps liven up your mornings. Don't forget your protein. Turkey bacon and sausage taste great and are very filling.
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: muchrespect812
Stats: 248.5/222.6/onderland
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 2011
the muffins sounds good....do u have the carb count
muchrespect812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Thank you beachbum! The pb muffins will be baking here this weekend! YUMMMMM.
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beachbum
WOE: SB, low carb
Sorry, I'm away from the house (headed to the beach ). IIRC, they're all @2-2.5 net per muffin (I know they're under 3 because that's my threshold ). Less for the pb if you use unsweetened soy butter, but add .25-.50 per if using chocolate chip shavings and cocoa. The banana nut is very dense and makes 12 big muffins or 24 smaller ones.
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

making some muffins for this weekend. I seem to to do better during the week but its like the infamous go all out for breakfast disaster every saturday... learning to be more prepared! thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
When I do eat breakfast I like to make it quick and easy. If it's not eggs, it's usually a bowl of cereal with soy milk, fruit, and walnuts. Sometimes it's a bowl of old-fashioned oats with peanut butter and sugar-free preserves. Tastes like a PB&J sandwich!
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
Sometimes it's a bowl of old-fashioned oats with peanut butter and sugar-free preserves. Tastes like a PB&J sandwich!
now that sounds soooo good
Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
A glass of V8 juice with a piece of canadian bacon spread with a piece of skinny cow! I used to eat that every morning. Was yummy!
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
My everyday breakfast is an Eggcream, sometimes with berries, sometimes with Chocolate Almond Breeze. Keeps me satisfied until lunch time!
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I forgot all about egg cremes... I know its technically eggs, but a shake type thingy might be the ticket for him.. Thanks!