Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
I went to a party last night and there was so much food. I wound up only eating vegies and dip and drinking some wine. So I kind of cheated on phase one but I did really well. What is phase 1 1/2 you all talk about. I think I'm ready to move on and add some phase 2 stuff in but I need to be really careful or at least still count my calories.

I lost 7 lbs in a week. I know alot is water weight, but I wore jeans insted of those comfy velour outfits for the first time since winter started and I feel so much thinner. I can actually think of walking or getting on my exercise bike again.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Michele
michele777 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #62
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Good morning!

I was a little off track this weekend, but not bad compared to most weekends! And I was finally able to walk briskly on my ankle, so I got in 10 miles the last 2 days.

I'm making a big pot of Mexican Chicken Vegetable soup for dinner tonight. Lots of chicken, fresh cilantro, and all kinds of veggies...should be good and very OP.

Michele, for me Phase 1.5 means I add wine or lite beer back into my weekends and I have fruit or a starch a few times a week. I pretty much have been doing that all winter. So for example, this week I bought some strawberries. I have a couple for dessert. One day this week I had a WW english muffin. And I had some wine Friday and Saturday night with dinner. Some days I am totally Phase 1, but other days I add in one extra Phase 2 item. That seems to work for me, I don't feel deprived and I still lose weight.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend...

2014 Running Miles: 285
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Wiz- Do you eat that way all the time? That is how I lost the weight the first time I was on SBD. I ate like that for a long time. Then I got sucked into the whole grain thing and was trying to get my whole grains in and it went down hill from there. Mexican soup sounds so good. Post your recipe when you get a chance. Do you ever eat a little corn or potatoes in recipes? That is the one thing I do not like about sbd. I love love love potatoes.

Is tomato soup ok? It seems it has quite a bit of sugar but there is no sugar in the ingredients.

I bought three huge bags of greens. One is collard, the other is turnip and the other is kale. Anyone have any idea what to do with them?

Last edited by michele777; 03-13-2011 at 08:38 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Hi all.
Wiz: That soup sounds delicious. Perfect for a chilly Spring weekend.

Michelle: Grains do me in as well, especially any type of bread, so I've decided to just not eat them at all for a while. I need to get the scale moving again and grains seem to add a lot of calories and refined carbs for not a whole lot of nutrition. I consider most grain products to be refined carbs, even if they're made from whole wheat, since they're still heavily processed. It IS unfortunate about potatoes. Interestingly, I can eat a baked potato and be quite full and satisfied, but the same amount of bread or rice will cause me to continue eating.

Don't know what to tell you about the greens as I've never cooked with those particular ones, but I'm sure someone will be along to help you out.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #65
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Wiz- Do you eat that way all the time? That is how I lost the weight the first time I was on SBD. I ate like that for a long time. Then I got sucked into the whole grain thing and was trying to get my whole grains in and it went down hill from there. Mexican soup sounds so good. Post your recipe when you get a chance. Do you ever eat a little corn or potatoes in recipes? That is the one thing I do not like about sbd. I love love love potatoes.

Is tomato soup ok? It seems it has quite a bit of sugar but there is no sugar in the ingredients.

I bought three huge bags of greens. One is collard, the other is turnip and the other is kale. Anyone have any idea what to do with them?
Michele
I make my own tomatoe soup.I use canned whatever has the least amt of sugar or no sugar if you can find it. Then add some milk and chopped onions and Mrs Dash tomato basil seasoning.I add a tbs of SB margarine then heatit and add 4-6 oz of RF cream cheese.We love it this way. Just a suggestion.

And ususally 1 cup is a serving... for me anyway.Sometimes I have a grilled cheese with it and celery sticks if I haven't had my starch for the day.
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #66
Berta48

Quote:

My DH would eat them but I'd throw em out:blush:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #67
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Can't help you with your greens question, I'm from the northeast - we don't eat that stuff!!

But in terms of your other questions, here goes:

Sure, tomato soup is okay. However, typically I use tomatoes in with other vegetables. In other words, a tomato-based vegetable soup. But in any case, unlike Atkins, tomatoes are totally allowable on all phases of SB.

The trickier question is how I eat on a regular basis...oh boy. Well, when I am home (which has been rare this winter because of my business travel) on a weekday, I eat pretty strictly. Pretty much Phase 1, with a serving of fruit. i.e. Phase 1.5. Although we will sometimes split a roasted sweet potato for dinner. It is rare that I eat grains during the week.

On the weekend, like yesterday for example, I made breakfast sandwiches on a WW english muffin (egg, cheese, tomato, avocado, yum!) On Saturday night, I did have a tiny slice of pumpernickel bread at the restaurant we were at and 2 small bites of my husband's linguine with red sauce. So I save up my indulgences for the weekends.

Now meanwhile, I am still not back at my goal/maintenance weight. So I'm not sure you should be taking my advice! However, I have been working my way slowly back down to where I need to be.

Work is beckoning, talk to you all later!!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Wiz- I'm from Jersey too, so those greens are still sitting in the fridge!! HaHaHA

The way you are eating is how I lost the weight the first time. I seem to be able to have one fruit and maybe one starch a day here and there. Start adding more and I gain even though I'm still eating healthy. That is probably because I enjoy my fats and never really reduce them even when I add those other foods back in. Thus too high on the calories for me!

Berta- That soup sounds good. So you mean I would start with a tomato product? Like crushed tomatoes?

Have a great day everyone!

Michele
Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #69
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quick run thru.

Michelle: Greens:

Collards- make callaloo. Callaloo with Hot Pepper Vinegar Recipe . I use just collards and leave out the spinach.

Kale: Cut off the woody stems. Cut into bite sized pieces and steam. Steam the small leaves whole. Saute some sliced garlic in olive oil and drizzle this over the kale. Or make kale chips.

Turnips: I like these best steamed until tender and drizzled with hot vinegar.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Rose! I'm going to make the Callaloo now!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #71
Berta48

Quote:
Wiz- I'm from Jersey too, so those greens are still sitting in the fridge!! HaHaHA

The way you are eating is how I lost the weight the first time. I seem to be able to have one fruit and maybe one starch a day here and there. Start adding more and I gain even though I'm still eating healthy. That is probably because I enjoy my fats and never really reduce them even when I add those other foods back in. Thus too high on the calories for me!

Berta- That soup sounds good. So you mean I would start with a tomato product? Like crushed tomatoes?

Have a great day everyone!

Michele
Yes i put it in my blender or food processor(sometimes in my Magic Bullet when I am not making it for anyone but myself).Mix it all up and heat it and eat it!! I do hope you will tryit. The cream cheese really makes it good.RF of course.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #72
Berta48

Well weigh day today was up 1 lbI honestly think what happened was last weigh in I was 262.4 then I weighed a bit later and I was 260.4 SOOO I put that down.Then today I was 261 sooo anyway gotta take what the scales say if I put the wrong number down it's my own fault.

Just keep keppin on!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

I tried this recipe today and it was really good. I left out the butter and added 1% milk in place of the cream.

Homemade tomato soup

Ingredients
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #74
Berta48

Quote:
I tried this recipe today and it was really good. I left out the butter and added 1% milk in place of the cream.

Homemade tomato soup

Ingredients
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.

This sounds good BUT to much trouble for me I like tasty,quick and easy
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #75
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey SBers!!

I went for my first real run since spraining my ankle. It was not pretty. Who knew that in 3.5 short weeks I could lose that much stamina?? My ankle wasn't the problem, the rest of my body was! In any case, I dragged myself around town for 4 miles. I have a lot of work to do....

Michele, that soup recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

See ya later!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Is corned beef and cabbage ok???? My kids said I must make it for them.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #77
Berta48

Quote:
Cabbage is fine not sure about the corned beef my guess is NO.Rose will tell ya she knows.OR another SB VET

We have Turkey Keilbaska Lite and cabbage(spelling is wrong) but it is really good.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #78

Quote:
Corned beef is not a good choice for regular use; it's too fatty. If you decide to make it, either make another meat choice for yourself, or consider it a one time indulgence.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Corned beef is not a good choice for regular use; it's too fatty. If you decide to make it, either make another meat choice for yourself, or consider it a one time indulgence.
Since I only make it once a year I'm eating it.

The kale chips were actually very good.

Michele
Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #80

I love kale chips. And I tend to agree---once a year, like I make Ntombi's macaroni and cheese ONCE a year, for New Years day. It's a tradition.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

It is amazing how the people on Biggest loser lose so much weight every week.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A corned beef brisket is higher in fat and sodium than Agatston would like but if it's a tradition in your family and you're making it for your kids anyway I say indulge and have fun! At least it's low carb and won't cause you to crave a dozen jelly donuts afterwards. This one is a no-brainer for me. Enjoy the meal, avoid the potatoes, and have a nice traditional dinner with your family.
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #83
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy St Patrick's day to all!! And better yet, it's the start of the NCAA tournament!! Love college hoops.

I am happy to report that I ran 5 miles today, I think my ankle is finally mended. Let's hope it stays that way. It's a beautiful sunny day here and supposed to hit 60. Woo Hoo!

And all this talk of corned beef and cabbage makes me laugh. I can't stand corned beef and I hate cooked cabbage. This is one holiday where I don't miss the traditional goodies one bit.

Later gang!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
I am happy to report that I ran 5 miles today, I think my ankle is finally mended.
Congrats, Wiz! Now you'll really be off and running.
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Glad you are feeling better Wiz! Happy St. Patrick's day everyone. I'm mainly Italian but I have a little Irish in me.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #86
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
A corned beef brisket is higher in fat and sodium than Agatston would like but if it's a tradition in your family and you're making it for your kids anyway I say indulge and have fun! At least it's low carb and won't cause you to crave a dozen jelly donuts afterwards. This one is a no-brainer for me. Enjoy the meal, avoid the potatoes, and have a nice traditional dinner with your family.
I like your way of thinking Jim
Hows spring break going for you?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #87
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
Quote:
It is amazing how the people on Biggest loser lose so much weight every week.
I can see why they do though!!! EXERCISE the trainers work them to death.It would kill me off the first round!!! I can't even take steps let alone climb a hill
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I can see why they do though!!! EXERCISE the trainers work them to death.It would kill me off the first round!!! I can't even take steps let alone climb a hill
I've heard some things about exlax n those things on the show... makes me very sad for those people when they 'only' lose 5lbs and they are disappointed.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #89
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
YAY Wiz!

College Hoops lover here too!!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #90
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Rest day on the ankle, I don't want to overdo it....

We ended up going out yesterday for some college hoops (specifically the Richmond game, my BiL went there) and St. Patrick's festivities. So I had 2 lite beers and we split some munchies. Not exactly an OP day.

But I'm back OP this morning and looking for a very good weekend of eating. Anybody else want join in on a weekend challenge?? That's always my downfall!

TGIF!! It is supposed to 70+ degrees here today. It's a shame I have to work.