Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Congrats on reaching your goal Berta!

Havent been doing so hot....went away with DH, did ok in the beginning; but it went downhill as the time went on. Pretty much back to where I started, and now lacking the motivation and planning again.

Going to get my act together today, and start fresh tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #32
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hello all!

Yesterday was a pretty good day of eating for me. I may have overloaded on the hummus I had as an afternoon snack...next time I will measure it out to be sure.

Tonight I am making a new recipe I mentioned in an earlier post. It has chicken, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, parm cheese, etc. The original recipe had pasta, bread crumbs and whole milk in it. I am eliminating the pasta and bread crumbs, substituting skim milk and topping the casserole with parm cheese (instead of the bread crumbs.) Let's see if my tweaking gives me a yummy result!!

Hope everyone has a great day...

2014 Running Miles: 276
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #33
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!

Been out of town!
Marking my spot!!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Got my midterm exams over with and I am on Spring break now. Which basically means a week of much-needed cleaning around this dirty apartment and I'm also starting to pack boxes for the big move after I graduate. Have no idea where I'm going yet but it feels good to pack boxes anyway. Have been doing well on SB and losing pounds, but unfortunately I've still gotta catch up to my old-scale weight before I can change my stats. Hope you are all well!
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post

Havent been doing so hot....went away with DH, did ok in the beginning; but it went downhill as the time went on. Pretty much back to where I started, and now lacking the motivation and planning again.

Going to get my act together today, and start fresh tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well!
Thanks Sweetie
I was off for a long time to.I should have had all my weight off by now if I had stayed with the plan all along but side tracked last summer. I usually do well for 3-4 months but I am really going to try to make it this time!!(I did try last time... for awhile)

I did learn from it though.When we fall off the wagon we just have to get right back on!!!!

You hang in there and keep trying if we give up we will never make it!
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #36
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
Got my midterm exams over with and I am on Spring break now. Which basically means a week of much-needed cleaning around this dirty apartment and I'm also starting to pack boxes for the big move after I graduate. Have no idea where I'm going yet but it feels good to pack boxes anyway. Have been doing well on SB and losing pounds, but unfortunately I've still gotta catch up to my old-scale weight before I can change my stats. Hope you are all well!
JIM
Enjoy Spring Break it will be over before you know it! You are doing great just KUPTGW.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #37
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post

Been out of town!
Marking my spot!!
CINDY
YEAH YOU'RE BACK BEEN WONDERING WHERE YOU WERE
Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #38
Queen Bargain Shopper

Jim!
YAY! Spring break!
Berta! on your goal!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Today:
B- None, I woke up late
L- Broccoli Raab, 2 tsp evoo, 4 oz chicken
D- Salad, 1 tbsp evoo, 4 oz pork tenderloin
Coffee, milk and lots of water

18 grams carbs, 37 fat, 76 protein
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Today:
B- None, I woke up late
L- Broccoli Raab, 2 tsp evoo, 4 oz chicken
D- Salad, 1 tbsp evoo, 4 oz pork tenderloin
Coffee, milk and lots of water

18 grams carbs, 37 fat, 76 protein
How many calories is this?
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Old 03-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Starting over on phase 1 today...starting weight is 123.6...goal is 115. I will be fasting and abstaining from meat today for Ash Wednesday...so menu is gonna be a little off.

Coffee, V8, vitamin, calcium supplement for breakfast

Large salad with Tuna on it for my one meal today (will be for lunch before work)

will pack a small bag of nuts for work incase I get too hungry

1/2 cup yogurt for evening snack

Hoping that motivation comes back for me! Have a good day everyone!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #43
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Just finished up 14 miles on my exercise bike. I still cannot run because of my sprained ankle.

Although all the food I ate yesterday was OP, I ended skipping lunch (not on purpose) and then got wildly hungry in the afternoon (duh, wonder why.) And I couldn't seem to satisfy that hunger until I finally just put myself to bed early. That's the danger in missing a meal for me!

I made the chicken casserole I mentioned and it was very good. I will post the recipe some time this week. I'll have leftovers for lunch, yum.

Jim, enjoy Spring Break!! We have a vacation planned in early April and I cannot wait to have a break from work. I need it!!

Berta, congrats on hitting your goal!! Hope you hit your next one just as quickly...

Yikes! Michele, seriously, I would be starving if that is all I ate. And I know I would never stay on plan either, because I'd end up gobbling whatever is in sight. Please try to eat more than that.

Gotta run, busy work day on tap...later gang.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Hello! I'm new here, long time lurker, first time SB board poster, nice to see an active community here... I'll be 29 in a week and need a little accountability right now.

I fell off the wagon a little over 2 years ago after I was diagnosed with cancer, I had been low carbing almost a year when it happened and was within 10lbs of goal (I set my stats to my original weight).. I had surgery and the prognosis was pretty good and well, the last screening came back worrisome. I don't want to fall off again and make my health a reason to not care about what I put in my body. So here I am to participate and contribute when I can
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tconerly
Stats: 173/166/145
Start Date: restart: 1/31/11
Quote:
Rose- I just don't seem to be able to lose any weight. It is also so difficult to stick to any sort of plan for more than a couple weeks. Even when I stick to SB 100% I gain weight if I do not count calories. I tried weight watchers points but I gained 2 lbs in two weeks. ( The warm weather is coming to NJ and I want to be thinner! Oh well, I will just keep on trying.
I feel your pain . I really wish I could have my $$ back from joining WW again. The only plan that seriously works for me is SB. It is the elimination of the bad foods that works. With WW, a bite for me turns in to ten bites. I do better having none than just a little. Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. I'm giving up the white carbs and sugar. Doing it for Lent seems to help my mind set. And hopefully this year, I won't freak on on Easter Sunday
Menu for today:
b: v8, boiled egg, ff milk
s: cheese stick
l: turkey and cheese roll ups with lettuce and tomatoe
s: celery and hummus
d: roasted asapargus, baked chicken breast
d:sugar free fudgsicle

Question for vets: Is salsa with 2 g sugar ok for p1? I have an old recipe for baked chicken...chicken breast with spoonful of salsa wrapped in foil then baked..so good! But the salsa I have has 2 g sugar
tconerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I fell off the wagon a little over 2 years ago after I was diagnosed with cancer, I had been low carbing almost a year when it happened and was within 10lbs of goal (I set my stats to my original weight).. I had surgery and the prognosis was pretty good and well, the last screening came back worrisome. I don't want to fall off again and make my health a reason to not care about what I put in my body.
Glitterific I'm sorry to hear about your cancer and the worrisome screening. I'm a ten-year cancer survivor myself and even after being clear all these years I still find myself freaking out when it's time for my annual screenings. South Beach is a great diet for those of us who've had cancer because it drastically reduces the sugar and refined carbs but includes tons of high-antioxidant foods like veggies and beans right off the bat, as well as fruits and whole grains in Phase II. You'll perhaps lose weight more slowly than you would on something like Atkins, but I think your overall health will benefit greatly from the food selections on South Beach. Hang in there and I do wish you the best.

Last edited by jlieb62; 03-09-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tconerly
Stats: 173/166/145
Start Date: restart: 1/31/11
Quote:
Glitterific I'm sorry to hear about your cancer and the worrisome screening. I'm a ten-year cancer survivor myself and even after being clear all these years I still find myself freaking out when it's time for my annual screenings. South Beach is a great diet for those of us who've had cancer because it drastically reduces the sugar and refined carbs but includes tons of high-antioxidant foods like veggies and beans right off the bat, as well as fruits and whole grains in Phase II. You'll perhaps lose weight more slowly than you would on something like Atkins, but I think your overall health will benefit greatly from the food selections on South Beach. Hang in there and I do wish you the best.
3 year survivor here ! Glitterific, Jim is right about all the veggies and limited sugar! I needed this reminder myself. Thanks, Jim! You've hlped motivate my kickstart to re-commit for Lent (and re-commit for me too!)
tconerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconerly View Post
3 year survivor here !
Hi back and congratulations on three years!

A few years back the USDA did a large study of antioxidant values for foods and then published a list of the top twenty. BEANS are in four of these slots and red beans are in the number one slot, even beating out blueberries! Beans are a great anti-cancer food and South Beach allows lots of them from the first day.

Top Twenty Antioxidant Foods
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Congrats to all of you survivors! I have a few friends who fought cancer and what a battle it is. It is probably so difficult to even think of dieting while worrying so much! When you put it in the form of "eating healthy" it seems much more managable. Stay strong Glitter. I hope you get good news!

Michele

Last edited by michele777; 03-09-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Jim, thanks for the information and congratulations on 10 years! and tconerly, congrats to you as well ... I had lost my weight doing Atkins but always missed beans of all things so this just seemed like the WOE I could really commit to. I'm enjoying the way I cook now. Thanks for the warm welcome!

I think one confusing thing from the food lists is how the measurements are sometimes cups/ounces (berries were mostly 3/4 C and banana specified as 4oz) and others are 'small'.. like a 'small' sweet potato, I really wish everything would be in ounces or some cup measurement.. the smallest sweet potatoes I could find were 4oz but I've only seen those sizes at one store.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Today:
B- better-n-eggs, v-8, coffee and milk
L- 4 oz chicken,hot sauce,Rf ranch, 1 cup cooked spinach
D- Calamari salad over lettuce
S- 2% cheesestick

Today I feel buzzed. I Have alot of energy and my hubby said I look like I lost weight.

The 2 cups vegies is before cooking right? I ate alot of spinach which I know is fine because you can't go wrong with spinach, but is the 2 cup vegie per meal requirement before cooking? I'm only asking that because some meal I hate my vegies.

Last edited by michele777; 03-09-2011 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #52
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Well, finally now that it is March, I seem to have made some consistent headway into losing those holiday lbs (and the vacation-in-Key-West lbs before that :blush. It was my lowest weigh-in since the holidays and since I bought this (darn) new scale. I just have to keep that momentum going! I WILL get back to my maintenance weight before my next vacation in April. The good news? My husband is right there with me being OP. He also had his lowest weigh-in since New Years.

I've got a crockpot of my Italian Beef Stew going and thought you all might enjoy the recipe. It is my own invention, so measurements (and ingredients!) vary based on what is in my fridge at the time!

Tracy's Italian Beef Stew for the Crockpot

1 lean beef roast or london broil, 2.5 lbs (Today I used Beef Bottom Round, it was 1.99/lb on sale this week), cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks, celery chopped
handful baby carrots
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup broth (beef, chicken, or veggie is fine)
1/2 cup marsala or red wine (if you want to keep it Ph1, use more broth)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 teas organo
1 teas fennel seeds
salt and pepper to taste
(Today I had fresh basil, so I threw in some of that too!)

- Spray crockpot with cooking spray
- Brown meat cubes in large skillet, add to crockpot
- In same skillet, saute celery, carrots, onion and garlic until softened. Add to crockpot
- Pour in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, broth, wine, mushrooms, and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Put on low for 8 to 10 hours. Even better if reheated on day 2!!

Hope everyone has an OP day!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Today:
B- better-n-eggs, v-8, coffee and milk
L- 4 oz chicken,hot sauce,Rf ranch, 1 cup cooked spinach
D- Calamari salad over lettuce
S- 2% cheesestick

Today I feel buzzed. I Have alot of energy and my hubby said I look like I lost weight.

The 2 cups vegies is before cooking right? I ate alot of spinach which I know is fine because you can't go wrong with spinach, but is the 2 cup vegie per meal requirement before cooking? I'm only asking that because some meal I hate my vegies.
I can't imagine eating 2 C of cooked spinach! I follow the whole measure before you cook (except with frozen veggies b/c they are bulkier than fresh)
I'll be interested to hear the responses!

I woke up to my weekly weigh in, no loss but when I put my pants on with a belt today, I am on my last belt hole! I didn't wear my belt yesterday and found my pants were loose, just didn't realize how loose! yay!

Last edited by glitterific; 03-10-2011 at 07:28 AM..
Old 03-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #54
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
I can't imagine eating 2 C of cooked spinach! I follow the whole measure before you cook (except with frozen veggies b/c they are bulkier than fresh)
I'll be interested to hear the responses!
First of all, Glitterific, I forgot to say Welcome!!

And with the cooked vs raw vegetable thing, I believe in using common sense Yikes! 2 cups of cooked spinach would be a heck of a lot of spinach whereas 2 cups of raw spinach isn't even that much. And of course, something like cauliflower would measure out the same cooked or raw.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Glitter- Yay!!!!! Good for you. I'm feeling smaller too finally!

Have a great day everyone!

Michele
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone.
Glitterific: Like Wiz said the spinach is measured raw, as are most of the veggies I think. However I must add that I love spinach myself (even canned spinach which makes most people gag) and I know I've eaten way more than two cups in a sitting. I'll be honest, I don't really worry too much about veggie portions. As long as they are on the allowable list I eat them freely. SB is not so much about about low carb as it is about good carb, and I don't think any of us will get fat from eating too many veggies.

You've got a great attitude and I know you will do well!

Have a great day everyone...
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Today:
B-2 eggs, v-8
L- Ham roll ups,mayo,celery sticks
D- .25 cup part skim ricotta, tomato sauce,(I was craving ravioli), salad
S- sf jello
Water,coffee,seltzer

Great song Jim!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

<sigh>

Spring break is almost over already and I'm incredibly bored. I should be on a beach somewhere but instead I'm watching snow fall outside my apartment.

It just ain't fair I tell ya!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #59
Queen Bargain Shopper

Quote:
<sigh>

Spring break is almost over already and I'm incredibly bored. I should be on a beach somewhere but instead I'm watching snow fall outside my apartment.

It just ain't fair I tell ya!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #60
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Woo hoo! I was able to do a short jog this morning without any pain in my ankle. Only 2 miles and I am sitting here icing my ankle down to be on the safe side - but I think the worst is behind me. Now I need to work back up to my normal mileage. My last run, the day before I sprained my ankle, was 7 miles.

Oh boy, that stew I made last night was good. My husband had thirds!! I thought I'd have a lot of leftovers...I guess not.

Jim, I'm with you. Yesterday I was incredibly down in the dumps. The rain, the cold, the lack of sun really got to me. It's suppposed to be a nice sunny weekend, I hope to get my bike out. It won't be beach weather, but at least it will be in the 50s.

Lots of work to get through today....TGIF!!!

Have a great weekend Beachers!!