Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Recipe/meal plan question

Hello,
I get really confused sometimes because I'm kind of specific. I read all the recipes and they all sound great but I do not know how to make them work in the meal plan. I wind up swaying from South Beach and thinking more low carb when I try incorporating recipes instead of simple meals like a salad with chicken and dressing. Obviously that is 2 cups vegies, 3-4 ounce protein and healthy fat. I hope someone knows what I mean and has some input. I wind up not knowing what to eat on South Beach unless it is ridiculously simple because I'm trying to fit the meal plan guidelines.

Michele
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Hello,
I get really confused sometimes because I'm kind of specific. I read all the recipes and they all sound great but I do not know how to make them work in the meal plan. I wind up swaying from South Beach and thinking more low carb when I try incorporating recipes instead of simple meals like a salad with chicken and dressing. Obviously that is 2 cups vegies, 3-4 ounce protein and healthy fat. I hope someone knows what I mean and has some input. I wind up not knowing what to eat on South Beach unless it is ridiculously simple because I'm trying to fit the meal plan guidelines.

Michele
Do you have the book? It's full of recipes that fit with the menu plans. Is that what you mean? I'm kinda tired. You don't have to use the exact daily menus, but use them as a guide. If that's not what you mean, I'll try again. :blush:
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I have all the books and have read them a zillion times. I was actually talking about the recipe link on here. I'm not sure how to fit alot of the recipes into my day and stick to the diet guidelines. I'm talking about trying to stick to the 2 cups vegies plus a tbsp fat and 3 ounces protein while using alot of the recipes like bean bread or flax muffins or buckwheat pancakes etc. I am thinking my calories will be through the roof.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

IMO, the recipes like muffins and bean bread should be used very sparingly, if at all. You can loosen up a bit in maintainence, but they have been the downfall of many. If you make bean bread, for example, count one small slice as a serving and that's it. Pancakes--a couple of pancakes should be a serving. You should also look carefully at the recipe and make sure that it really does fit SB guidelines, because many of those in that thread don't fit very well.

If you are talking about a dish using vegetables, you can be much more liberal, because the recommendation is a minimum of two cups per meal, not a maximum. Could you give me a specific recipe that you are trying to fit in?

Am I on the right track?

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 02-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

You are absolutely on the right track! I just stare in the refrigerator and wonder what to eat! lol Then I read recipes and think I wouldn't lose weight eating that even if it is healthy. I eat alot of salads with reduced fat cheese in it and I eat alot of soup. I think I eat alot of fat even though it fits into SBD. The scale does not budge unless I stay under 1200 calories so once I get the phase 1 down pat there doesn't seem to be room to add in those fruits and grains/starches. So I'm wondering if I should just eat the fruit or grain at that point without the 2 cups vegies and 3-4 ounces protein plus fat. I find myself say I can't just eat a yogurt for lunch or i cant just eat a cottage cheese or I can't just have this cup of tomato soup, so I am purposely adding in other things and I'm gaining weight! I see on the February thread that some people post meals, maybe I will try that.

Michele
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

In other words I know what foods are SBD friendly but I have trouble creating meals keeping the guidelines and unless I keep it super simple it is too many calories for me I think. Like for instance sometimes I eat an apple with peanut butter for lunch. But, on SBD I say to my self I can't do that I need to eat that plus a salad with some meat or cheese on it too. Hope you get my rambling....
Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

I do get what you are saying. Post some menus--not just I typically eat........ What exactly did you eat today, tomorrow, the next day and let's take a look. Post portions, ingredients, etc. What I did is add fruit as part of my day, not in addition to. Like instead of a veggie omelette, I would have yogurt and blueberries. Still getting the same nutrition, just different foods.

Also, what about drinking. What's that like?

BTW, Apple and peanut butter is protein and fat and fruit/veggies. A little slim for lunch, but a good snack.

Last edited by rose1; 02-10-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

OK Today I ate

b- v-8 and bettr n eggs and a slice of cheese + coffee 1% milk
l- Turkey rolled up in lettuce leaves with mayo + diet coke
d- Salad with evoo and vinegar and rf blue cheese crumbles + diet coke

Is there a link for this like what did you eat today? Otherwise I will just post it in the Feb. thread from now on.

By the way, Thank you!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
OK Today I ate

b- v-8 and bettr n eggs and a slice of cheese + coffee 1% milk
l- Turkey rolled up in lettuce leaves with mayo + diet coke
d- Salad with evoo and vinegar and rf blue cheese crumbles + diet coke

Is there a link for this like what did you eat today? Otherwise I will just post it in the Feb. thread from now on.

By the way, Thank you!!!!!
Yes, just post in the main thread. That's where most people will see it. That's not much food. Any water? Post again tomorrow, let's look for a trend.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
when i bake bean muffins/bread, i just go by how many servings the single ingredient would be. that really makes a pretty big serving so you probably wouldn't eat that much;
A can of beans is 3-4 servings depending on whether you use 1/3 or 1/2 c then there's usually egg and whatever else (sweetener, flax meal, cocoa, coconut flour). but basically these are not high carb items.
Anyway, I've found this an easy method for figuring out.
And of course, there's the question; is this part of a meal that includes _______? or is it the main course as in, bean bread for breakfast.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
when i bake bean muffins/bread, i just go by how many servings the single ingredient would be. that really makes a pretty big serving so you probably wouldn't eat that much;
A can of beans is 3-4 servings depending on whether you use 1/3 or 1/2 c then there's usually egg and whatever else (sweetener, flax meal, cocoa, coconut flour). but basically these are not high carb items.
Anyway, I've found this an easy method for figuring out.
And of course, there's the question; is this part of a meal that includes _______? or is it the main course as in, bean bread for breakfast.
Yup, I get that. I just find I wind up adding more calories in trying to "get it all in". Like normally for lunch I would just eat a cup of soup or a scoop of tuna salad. Now I'm like I can't just eat that so I add in a salad with dressing and now my meal is double the calories and for me calories count. This is the problem I have encountered from the beginning of SBD and if I don't count calories I gain weight on SBD instead of losing! It is frustrating and I'm assuming a large active person can just follow the menu plan easier and add in three fruits and three grains/starches a day and do well, but I seem to have to stick to phase 1 or replace my phase 1 meal with a small fruit/protein or a small starch/protein instead of adding them in.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I cannot even imagine that I will ever eat 3 starches daily....or even want to.
But I do well w a bean serving and 1-2 fruits.
Grain is more occasional and it has to be something I really want not just because I should or can.
I do, however, eat hot cereal a few times weekly and it consists of oat and wheat bran served w yogurt.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote