Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laniemargaret
Stats: 181/154/135
WOE: SB, Sugarbusters
Start Date: May 2010
Good morning...

well- this is what happened yesterday- not perfect but not horrific...

B: yogurt/ mixed fruit/ 1/2 c prepared steel cut oats

S: cheese stick- my celery FROZE

L: pulled pork/ green beans / pickles

S: 2 pcs SF candy

D: taco salad-- beef small amt/ cheese/ lett/ tom/ bl olives/ hot sauce

S: serving nuts/ 1c warm NF milk w/vanilla
Laniemargaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laniemargaret
Stats: 181/154/135
WOE: SB, Sugarbusters
Start Date: May 2010
Good morning!!! It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

B: yogurt/ pear/oats

S: cheese stick

L: turkey deli/ raw squash/ zuc

S: roasted peanuts

D: grilled chicken/ tabouli- I made some! / broc/ snow peas/ carrots/cauliflower mix
Laniemargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #153
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Good morning!

I'm back from my business trip to Atlanta, it went well. All these restaurant meals really killed me. Even when you think you are ordering something that appears to be on plan, one bite and you realize it isn't.

On the positive side, I was completely OP for breakfast and lunch each day, it was really only the dinner meals that were "gotchas." And I did get some running in while away too.

Bottom line, I did the best I could with what I had in front of me. But word to the wise, don't go to PF Chang's - there isn't anything low carb on that menu. But when you are one of 12 going out to eat, it's not like I had much choice.

I have a pile of work to do from being away, so I'm off to the salt mines. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

2014 Running Miles: 276
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #154
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Having another snow day. Also, have a kitchen full of cookies and other tea party food and no freezer room. The monthly tea party was snowed out, so I have to figure out what to do with all the goodies.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Good morning!

I'm back from my business trip to Atlanta, it went well. All these restaurant meals really killed me. Even when you think you are ordering something that appears to be on plan, one bite and you realize it isn't.

On the positive side, I was completely OP for breakfast and lunch each day, it was really only the dinner meals that were "gotchas." And I did get some running in while away too.

Bottom line, I did the best I could with what I had in front of me. But word to the wise, don't go to PF Chang's - there isn't anything low carb on that menu. But when you are one of 12 going out to eat, it's not like I had much choice.

I have a pile of work to do from being away, so I'm off to the salt mines. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
I've never been there, but nothing? Not even salad? Yikes!
It's good that the other meals were ok. I imagine you are always happy to get back home.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
B mushroom and cheese omelette, V8

S celery with peanut butter

L tuna with pickles, celery, rf mayo

S yougurt with nuts

D small portion of chicken, broccoli, and HF ziti in alfredo sauce (I made this recipe myself, everything is OP, I made my portion mostly chicken and veg, less than a cup of pasta....kids wanted it, so I made it SB friendly; but wouldnt indulge in it often)

I kinda feel like Im just maintaining weight, don't really feel that losing trend yet (if anyone knows what Im describing, Ive felt it before). maybe Im just being impatient. Just have seen quicker, steadier results before
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
B mushroom and cheese omelette, V8

L tuna with pickles, celery, rf mayo

S yougurt with nuts

D small portion of chicken, broccoli, and HF ziti in alfredo sauce (I made this recipe myself, everything is OP, I made my portion mostly chicken and veg, less than a cup of pasta....kids wanted it, so I made it SB friendly; but wouldnt indulge in it often)

I kinda feel like Im just maintaining weight, don't really feel that losing trend yet (if anyone knows what Im describing, Ive felt it before). maybe Im just being impatient. Just have seen quicker, steadier results before
How much more do you have to lose?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #158
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I've never been there, but nothing? Not even salad? Yikes!
It's good that the other meals were ok. I imagine you are always happy to get back home.
Rose, Travel is such an important of my job (Sales!) so I try not to complain about it too much. But, yes, walking back in my door and sleeping my comfy bed are complete luxuries to me.

On the other hand, we did go out for a romantic meal last night to our favorite restaurant. Did I really need another night out? :blush: Probably not, but this place is phenomenal. I had the Zuppa di pesce for dinner (half of a lobster, scallops, shrimp, tiny clams, and calamari in a spicy tomato broth) that was to die for. And for a restaurant meal, pretty much OP. We said No for dessert and they brought us these little amaretto flavored brownies anyway, I had a bite of one. Yum, but one bite was plenty.

It's really cold here today (8 degrees, wind chill in the negatives!) so I've got to exercise inside. I'm heading down to the basement now - BBL!!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

about 10lbs rose

Gonna do a phase 1 day to just keep it in check:

Cheese omelette with salsa, V8

yogurt

large salad with avocado, egg, chickpeas, RF blue cheese

nuts

another salad like I had for lunch

Eating out and traveling are very hard, I agree wiz. I travel frequently for family. The food on the airplanes is hardly OP. I usually check the airport directories to see what is inside to plan ahead...but that has worked against me when Ive got 90 min to change planes and eat and the subway I thought was there is now a taco bell. And resteraunt menus can be deceiving. Once I met my dad for lunch and got "marinated" steak tips...turned out they were glazed in something VERY sweet. Frustrating when your intentions are good, and something happens out of your control.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Transition from Atkins to SB...

Hi SB Gang!

I am transitioning from Atkins Induction to SB.. I was wondering if I should do SB Phase I or just start w/ Phase II.

I don't have a book yet (will get one soon).. I remember some of the menus and will be looking around here in the mean time.. One thing I really need is afternoon snack ideas. I have been giving up dairy so I need other options and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

I will be ordering my book from Amazon next pay day but that's three weeks away and I really want/need to do the transition now!

I need more veggies and I want beans and I feel like less fat is also something I need right now.

Last year I did phase I and did well for a while but found myself hungry very often (missed ketosis).. I think also I was not eating enough for my weight at the time so I have to work on that - and eating more often/smaller meals.

Any advise on the best way to get started right now!?

Cary~

Last edited by daisyHair; 01-22-2011 at 09:45 AM..
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #161
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Hi SB Gang!

Any advise on the best way to get started right now!?

Cary~
Hi Cary,

I remember you from last year. Welcome back! In starting right now, you can probably go right to SB Phase 2 from Atkins Induction. Basically your big changes will be to focus on lower fat proteins (i.e. chicken breasts, pork tenderloins, lean beef, etc.), veggies at every meal, and to slowly add in fruits (I suggest berries) and some whole grains and/or higher carb veggies like sweet potatoes.

You may want to stop in at your library until you order your book. Also, take a look at the food lists on this site.

Good luck!!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
What to do with tempeh?

Rose you probably have some good ideas but advice from all is appreciated! I picked up an 8-ounce block of tempeh at the store and now I'm clueless as to what to make with it. Do I treat it just like tofu? Marinade and stir-fry it with some SB friendly veggies over brown rice? Some of the recipes I've seen online seem kinda complicated, and right now I'm all about simple.

Thanks!

Last edited by jlieb62; 01-22-2011 at 04:53 PM..
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post
What to do with tempeh?

Rose you probably have some good ideas. I picked up an 8-ounce block of tempeh at the store and now I'm clueless as to what to make with it. Do I treat it just like tofu? Marinade and stir-fry it with some SB friendly veggies over brown rice? Some of the recipes I've seen online seem kinda complicated, and right now I'm all about simple.

Thanks!
That's a good quick way to do it. You can cut it in bites and bake it it a tomato sauce and serve it in a pita. Cut it in thin strips and brush with a little liquid smoke and bake until crispy, but not burned, and make a TLT (tempeh, lettuce and tomato) sandwich. Heat it in barbecue sauce, deep fry it, use it in chili. Good stuff! I love White Wave when I can find it.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Rose! When trying out new foods I always think simple is best so as to get a feel for how it cooks and tastes. Your ideas sound delicious. This stuff wasn't exactly cheap so I didn't want to open the package without a game plan.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #165

Quote:
Thanks Rose! When trying out new foods I always think simple is best so as to get a feel for how it cooks and tastes. Your ideas sound delicious. This stuff wasn't exactly cheap so I didn't want to open the package without a game plan.
Some brands have a stronger taste. I guess if you're a tempeh virgin, maybe cut it up, sprinkle with some soy sauce and garlic, and stir fry it. Taste a bite and if you like it, you're good. If you don't like it much, then sauce it and try it another way. It's hard to ruin it.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #166
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SLP2010
Hello all,

I am new to SBD and I will be starting Phase 1 tomorrow. I do have a question: is bleu cheese dressing okay? (In particular, Kraft Roka Brand Blue Cheese dressing). Sugar is listed as the 5th ingredient but the nutrition facts state <1g of sugar per 2 TBSP serving. (Other nutrition facts: 120 calories, 13g fat, 1g carb, 0g fiber, 0g protein).

Is this off limits in Phase 1?

Thanks for your help!
SLP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP2010 View Post
Hello all,

I am new to SBD and I will be starting Phase 1 tomorrow. I do have a question: is bleu cheese dressing okay? (In particular, Kraft Roka Brand Blue Cheese dressing). Sugar is listed as the 5th ingredient but the nutrition facts state <1g of sugar per 2 TBSP serving. (Other nutrition facts: 120 calories, 13g fat, 1g carb, 0g fiber, 0g protein).

Thanks for your help!
It's ok. Try to keep this to a bare minimum, though. Most people find that they use way more than a tablespoon or two and dressing adds a boatload of calories. Try making your own to cut calories and yuckky ingredients. to the Beach.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #168
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP2010 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks for your help!
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm, maybe my problem is too much salad dressing. I eat alot of salad

today:

B fried egg on HF english muffin with cheese, V8

S yogurt with nuts

L salad with chicken breast, RF dressing

D salad with ham, RF cheese, RF dressing

Tomorrow is first weigh in on phase 2.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 AM   #170
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
I have started to measure everything - you would be surprised at how much you SHOULD be using as opposed to how much you really do use!!! That can be a huge savings!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

I had to measure for a while to get my portions under control. I was quite surprised at how small two tablespoons of peanut butter really are. I had been putting more than double that on my sammies.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #172

I know my DH was using almost 800 calories of salad dressing on a salad. Now I put it on for him before I serve it.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #173
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting discussion on the portion size! My husband is a big mayo guy. His eyes popped out when I told him the fat, calories, etc. in his idea of a serving! He's been doing much better lately.

On the salad dressing thing, I typically use oil and vinegar most days. I am heavy on the vinegar, drizzle a teaspoon of oil. And when I do eat a salad dressing, it is one that I have made. My go-to is olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, with herbs mixed in.

Tonight's dinner is leftover Italian Beef stew (my own recipe!). Cut-up beef round roast, loads of mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, 28 oz can diced tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/2 cup beef broth, 1/2 cup red wine plus fennel seed, oregano, salt and pepper in the crockpot. Yum, even better the next day
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #174

Wiz, My Dh would love your stew. I'll print it for him.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I know my DH was using almost 800 calories of salad dressing on a salad.
Do you mean there's not supposed to be more dressing than salad?

My mom used to make our salads this way actually. They were almost, but not quite, bowls full of dressing with some green bits floating around. She always made them up an hour or more ahead of time to give the lettuce plenty of time to disintegrate. Most of the time you could barely tell what kind of greens were used. When I got older and started asking for my dressing on the side I got labeled as a 'fussy eater'. That'll teach me to question mom's cooking style!

To this day I abhor soggy premade salad.

Fussy eater that I am.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Your recipe sounds delicious wiz!!! I'm always looking for new crock pot ideas, I rely on my crock pot atleast once a week.

Ok, I updated my menu after reading this salad dressing discussion....probably dont need it twice in a day. So my alternate dinner menu is now 2 ham and RF swiss roll ups, dijon mustard, and green beans.

I also dumped some blueberries in my yogurt with nuts this morning

and debating a glass of wine tonite...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #177
Berta48

DH joined me on the SB Journey. Today was his 1st day of PH1.It must be working cause he's running to to the toiletPoor guyI kniw I asure did when I first started it.

Only lost one lb last week this week two of PH2.But I will take the lb.
I am pretty much sticking with ph 1 this week so DH won't be tempted as bad.

I went to our ladies prayer group luncheon today and had tea!!!I couldn't believe I did it.I was really proud of myself(pat myself on the back)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #178
Berta48

Quote:

My mom used to make our salads this way actually. They were almost, but not quite, bowls full of dressing with some green bits floating around. She always made them up an hour or more ahead of time to give the lettuce plenty of time to disintegrate. Most of the time you could barely tell what kind of greens were used. When I got older and started asking for my dressing on the side I got labeled as a 'fussy eater'. That'll teach me to question mom's cooking style!

Fussy eater that I am.
I hate soggy lettuce and don't like hardly any dressing just enough to taste.
So guess I'm picky too Jim
Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #179
Berta48

Quote:

Fussy eater that I am.
Quote:
I had to measure for a while to get my portions under control. I was quite surprised at how small two tablespoons of peanut butter really are. I had been putting more than double that on my sammies.
I am wondering... I realize 2 TBS is a serving... but are allowed more than one serving per day?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #180

Quote:

Fussy eater that I am.
You just can't please some people. Don't you know there are starving people out there who would love floating salad??