Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
^^^^
That Roast sounds GREAT!
I am going to try it!

Thanks!
We put a bottle beer in chili. It really adds another layer of flavor that's hard to describe, but it's there.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconerly View Post
Rose and Wiz, thank you for your responses! I did eat 1/2 of a ww bagel and banana before my long run (8 turned in to 9 miles!! go me!) and I was starving by the time I stretched and got to my car. Our next long run will be 10 miles this Saturday. I'll try that one with the egg. The remainder of the week will short runs...3, 5, 3 miles so it will be phase 1 eating for me. todays menu is unplanned but so far I know I will have the following:
b: v8, 2 eggs
s: cheese stick
l:?
s:?
dinner:?
I think you'll be fine as long as you eat well, stick to whole foods and stay away from sugary things and other junk food. I admire runners.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthybelle View Post
I'm brand spanking new here but followed SB in Winter '09 and managed a 65lb weight loss in 5 months. I regained the whole amount (no extra thank you) and I am a complete sugar addict. So my goal for 2011 is to go back to South Beach (Hubby & I start tomorrow after we buy our groceries) exercise, I did NOT exercise in '09 and I'd like to start being kinder to myself. Oh and think more positive and show an attitude of gratitude.

I've been lurking since yesterday on this board and you all seem like a really nice group, so I"m glad to meet you all and look forward to getting to know everyone in the future.
Hi again! You are starting out with the right attitude, for sure. It's great that DH is on board; it sure makes things easier.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #64
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Welcome Belle!!!
Are you a Packer fan?

You can do this - you did it before; set some small goals and good luck!!!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healthybelle
Stats: 300/250/150
WOE: Primal/LCHF
Start Date: April 30 2012
Thanks Rose and Radmom for the welcome and support! I know very little about football Radmom but hubby just finished watching the game and is pleased. I almost thought your pic looked familiar so who knows we may be neighbors lol!

I'm all over this forum looking for recipes and ideas for phase 1, tomorrow is a wally world day so I plan on getting stuff to make that delicious sounding bean cake/bread and everything else I need for Phase 1. I'm checking inventory to see what I don't need. I'm looking forward to starting plan. I'm looking forward to clean eating it's been so long plus I'm getting a little paranoid about my health so it's time...
healthybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #66
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
I'm brand spanking new here but followed SB in Winter '09 and managed a 65lb weight loss in 5 months. I regained the whole amount (no extra thank you) and I am a complete sugar addict. So my goal for 2011 is to go back to South Beach (Hubby & I start tomorrow after we buy our groceries) exercise, I did NOT exercise in '09 and I'd like to start being kinder to myself. Oh and think more positive and show an attitude of gratitude.

I've been lurking since yesterday on this board and you all seem like a really nice group, so I"m glad to meet you all and look forward to getting to know everyone in the future.
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: luisafernanda
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan. 2, 2008
Hi everyone , and Happy New Year!

Delurking to ask a food question: I can't find parsnips or turnips in the food lists in my SB Supercharged book. I am thinking they would be similar to carrots, but am really not sure. I don't see them in the "rarely or never" list, either. Rose, do you know if they're considered a vegetable, starchy vegetable or a no-no? TIA!
luisafernanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #68
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Good morning Beachers!

Well, I guess you can call my weekend eating plan - Phase 1 plus some adult beverages. I was entirely strict with what I ate, not 1 morsel that was off plan. But let's face facts, it's tough to attend a tailgate for 5 hours and not have a (lite) beer or two!

And I bow down to Cindy, her Packers took down my beloved Eagles!!

We got more snow over the weekend (and expect another 6 to 8 inches tomorrow night! Hello, I live at the Jersey Shore - we are not supposed to get all this snow. ) So my running outside has been severely curtailed. I've been doing some cycling on my exercise bike and did some uphill walking on my treadmill. I just have such a hard time running inside.

Today's planned menu:

B: 2 egg omelet with RF cheese and salsa
S: yogurt
L: spring mix with tuna, cilantro, roasted red pepper, celery and a dab of lite mayo. NSA fudgsicle
S: not sure!
D: Chicken saute with asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and shallots topped with shaved parm cheese. Probably a cup of diet hot chocolate

Welcome Belle!!!

Luisa, in my head, I always thought parsnips and turnips were Phase 2 adders like carrots and sweet potaoes. But I don't remember for sure. Gotta dig up my book....

I hope everyone has a great SB week!!!

2014 Running Miles: 366
2014 Walking Miles: 304
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #69
Queen Bargain Shopper

Wiz!

It was a great game!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Been eating OP...but the past couple of days...STARVING! I'm pretty sure Ive got to be eating enough. I have been paying more attention to portion size, which I never used to do; but DETERMINED to lose these 10 pounds...so trying any trick in the book!

Breakfast: 2 egg omelette, mushrooms, 2 slices RF cheese, V8

Snack: 4oz container of yogurt (the dannon lite and fit carb friendly for diabetics...or whatever it is called...but its OP) with about 1/4 unsalted mixed nuts mixed in (was starving)

Lunch about 6oz leftover baked cod from last night with lemon juice, parsley, parmesean cheese, 1/2 left over green beans

Snack...not sure...probably a couple of spicey cheese sticks and a V8

Supper...turkey vegetable soup

Why am I SOOOO hungry????

Oh, and I drink lots of seltzer (no cal, no sodium, no nothing in it) and water all day long
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post

Luisa, in my head, I always thought parsnips and turnips were Phase 2 adders like carrots and sweet potaoes. But I don't remember for sure. Gotta dig up my book....
Luisa, Wiz is correct. Phase 2. How are you doing, btw?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Deer Park
Oops! I fell off the wagon on Friday -- and in a big way, too. I weighed in on Friday morning and discovered that I had lost 6 lbs when I was only expecting one at most if anything. (We had been out on vacation for 10 days and I had mostly eaten right but it wasn't always possible.) After verifying the loss on the scale at the gym, I figured that I would treat myself with a slice of pizza for lunch.

Well, there was the slice of pizza at lunch. When I got home, the kids were into the Tortilla chips, so I indulged also. Then we went to a party later that evening and everything on the table was either carbs or sugars or both.

I weighed myself the next day, expecting to see a gain of a pound, two tops. When I weighed myself the next morning, I was up 4(!) pounds. I figured this had to be a scale problem so I checked my weight again at the gym. Yep, I was up 4 lbs from the previous day.

I got to thinking, "How is this possible?" After all, I may have eaten a lot of junk the night before, but I certainly didn't eat 4 pounds of food. Then I remembered that I drink water like a fish: 3-4 liters per day. That translates to 6 - 8 pounds of water per day. I decided that the food, while heavy enough, must have caused my body to hold onto a couple of pounds of fluid as well.

When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. During Phase 1, alot of the weight loss is water. It would stand to reason that falling off the diet would cause alot of quick water retention.

Anyway, it's Monday and, while I'm smarting from Friday's eating madness, I learned something from it at least. And it also reaffirmed something that I knew already. Carbs and sugars are not something for me to have during the middle of the day because it portends bad behavior for the rest of the day.

B: hard boiled egg
S: skipped
L: Caesar salad with some left over Rib Roast
S: Broccoli, Cucumbers and some Turkey
D: Re-heated Rib Roast, Green Beans, Pepperoncini, maybe some salad
S: An Apple
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: luisafernanda
Start Date: Jan. 2, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Luisa, Wiz is correct. Phase 2. How are you doing, btw?
Thanks, Wiz and Rose. I wonder why these are not in my book? Can't remember if they were in my first SB book or not (I lent it to a friend and never got it back ).

Rose, I've been straying too far and have put back on a little more than half of the 40+ lbs. I lost in 2008. :blush: I am now trying to get back on track so I can get rid of this weight again, plus the 10 or 12 lbs. I need to reach my goal. Everything OK with you?
luisafernanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #74
Berta48

Hello SBeachers

One week today since going back to PH1. ( I just had to weigh) down five lbs
I have one more week to go then my plans are to have one carb and one fruit for the week each day, Then go to 2 carb 2 fruit and remain there.I may not even have that much every day but I am not having more than that.

I want to get to 260 first then below 200 at least just for now.Then when I get there I will go on.

Have a great SB day!

Last edited by Berta48; 01-10-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Been eating OP...but the past couple of days...STARVING! I'm pretty sure Ive got to be eating enough. I have been paying more attention to portion size, which I never used to do; but DETERMINED to lose these 10 pounds...so trying any trick in the book!

Breakfast: 2 egg omelette, mushrooms, 2 slices RF cheese, V8

Snack: 4oz container of yogurt (the dannon lite and fit carb friendly for diabetics...or whatever it is called...but its OP) with about 1/4 unsalted mixed nuts mixed in (was starving)

Lunch about 6oz leftover baked cod from last night with lemon juice, parsley, parmesean cheese, 1/2 left over green beans

Snack...not sure...probably a couple of spicey cheese sticks and a V8

Supper...turkey vegetable soup

Why am I SOOOO hungry????

Oh, and I drink lots of seltzer (no cal, no sodium, no nothing in it) and water all day long
Some days are just hungry days. I have days when I eat all day, literally. From the looks of this menu, you are truly feeling hungry and not just having the munchies. Otherwise you would be eating snacky items instead of real food. You weren't mindlessly eating. Could be hormonal?

Breakfast looks good. Yogurt and nuts is a perfect snack. You could add some blueberries or strawberries to make it even more perfect. ( More perfect, get it?) I could see adding some salad or another veggie to lunch. Snack looks good. Supper- just soup? How about a green salad and and maybe a couple of wasa crackers or 1/2 pita. Just a few little additions will help fill you up without adding many calories or carbs.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice rose! I'm actually still on phase 1, so no fruit or starches yet. But I must say...I am really loving the yogurt and nuts (I get the vanilla) and cant wait to add some fruit to it...it would be the perfect, perfect snack/mini meal. Its easy, delicious, and filling.

My eating today consisted of literally cleaning out the fridge of leftovers so there is no waste (if it was OP, I ate it...lol), and gearing up for the week like preparing salad. So now that the salad is made, I'm thinking a bowl of that with some rf blue cheese dressing and some olives will be my snack tonight when I get hungry AGAIN lol. I've already consumed what was on my menu today, and its only 5pm....so yeah, probably a bowl of salad around 7 tonite. I have been literally eating all day

Tomorrow completes one week of phase 1, and I get on the scale in the morning. All my cravings are gone, and I'm planning and just plugging along.

Berta...woo hoo! great job! And I like your plan for phase 2. I was thinking of doing something similar. Add 1 fruit, OR 1 grain, OR a glass of wine etc per day and see how I do with that. Gonna kinda plan out the phase 2 additions as treats to start out.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #77

Deer Park, you learned a valuable lesson. Run with it.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Hello SBeachers

One week today since going back to PH1. ( I just had to weigh) down five lbs
I have one more week to go then my plans are to have one carb and one fruit for the week each day, Then go to 2 carb 2 fruit and remain there.I may not even have that much every day but I am not having more than that.

I want to get to 260 first then below 200 at least just for now.Then when I get there I will go on.

Have a great SB day!
Good plan, Berta.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #79

PSA: Remember that in phase 2, the starchy category is not just grain. It is also a long list of VEGETABLES. Add those in!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #80
Berta48

Quote:
Thanks for the advice rose! I'm actually still on phase 1, so no fruit or starches yet. But I must say...I am really loving the yogurt and nuts (I get the vanilla) and cant wait to add some fruit to it...it would be the perfect, perfect snack/mini meal. Its easy, delicious, and filling.

My eating today consisted of literally cleaning out the fridge of leftovers so there is no waste (if it was OP, I ate it...lol), and gearing up for the week like preparing salad. So now that the salad is made, I'm thinking a bowl of that with some rf blue cheese dressing and some olives will be my snack tonight when I get hungry AGAIN lol. I've already consumed what was on my menu today, and its only 5pm....so yeah, probably a bowl of salad around 7 tonite. I have been literally eating all day

Tomorrow completes one week of phase 1, and I get on the scale in the morning. All my cravings are gone, and I'm planning and just plugging along.

Berta...woo hoo! great job! And I like your plan for phase 2. I was thinking of doing something similar. Add 1 fruit, OR 1 grain, OR a glass of wine etc per day and see how I do with that. Gonna kinda plan out the phase 2 additions as treats to start out.
Yeah I got to thinking and I really don't miss my bread but it is the potatoe I miss.( So I may have one once a month or maybe every other week and when I do... not have any other starch.) But I do enjoy a slice of WWtoast of a morning with my eggs and bacon & tomato juice.I've been drinking enough of it I am surprised I am not redBUT it is filling to me.

I like yogurt too but it has to have fruit or at least something sweeter than just plain yogurt. I hadn't thought of the nuts. I will have to try that.

You are doing good.We can do this!

Last edited by Berta48; 01-10-2011 at 08:45 PM..
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement Berta!

Just got off the scale....down 2 1/2 pounds after 1 week of phase 1...I will take it!

I have a pea soup in the crock pot because I just got called into work; but peas are phase 2 I think? I need to look that up, or I will check back here to see if someone posted. Plan B for my supper will be a chicken ceasar salad if its not OP...so no biggie.

Today:

B broccoli and cheese crustless quiche, V8

S nuts

L salad with hard boiled egg, chicken, and rf cheese...rf dressing

S yogurt

S...ham and pea soup, or chicken ceasar salad

Oh, and Berta...if you are buying the plain yogurt, try dumping a package of sweetner in a small bowl of it and some drops of flavor extract (strawberry, raspberry, coconut) for phase 1. Or I have been eating then Dannon Lite and Fit Carb/Diabetic friendly in vanilla. They are hard to find and only come in 4oz containers but are yummy. I see them in Strawberry too which I cant wait to try next week in phase 2!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #82
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Just finished up a brisk (as in 15 F!) 5-mile run on the beach. It's still the only place completely clear of snow around here, and guess what? We are due to get another foot of snow tonight. Geez.

Well, I finally managed to get myself on the scale. And it was exactly where I expected to be - which was not a good thing. Yup, I need to lose 8 lbs, preferably 10 if I can. And that my friends is why I am doing Phase 1 right now.

Although I did not view Maintaining on Phase 3 as a license to eat I did overindulge way too many times. I never touch things like donuts, cake, pastry (although I will fess up to some Christmas cookies and a small slice of my own home-made Bailey's Irish Cream White Chocolate cheesecake that is to die for ). But I do tend to pick at things like chips, fries (off my husband's plate), etc. Those salty fried things get me every time.

In any case, I am totally re-committed to getting BACK to my goal weight. My jeans will not be so tight, darn it. And I am definitely not going up a size, I'll continue to wedge myself into these size 8s until they are comfortable again!!!

Thanks for listening to me state my plan of attack for the New Year!~!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Deer Park
Good news, folks. It's been 4 days since The Diet Calamity, and I've given up those 4 pounds as of this morning.

I hear where you're coming from, Wiz. I had started wearing 36" waist pants just before Friday. After those 4 additional pounds, what had been comfortable pants suddenly became very tight pants. Still, I refuse to put back on those 38" waist pants, in spite of the fact that they would probably be more comfortable and I still have a few pairs. So, I'm going to tough it out.
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #84
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you, Deer Park!! And we'll just hang around feeling like sausages in a tight casing until our pants fit well again. LOL
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laniemargaret
Stats: 181/154/135
WOE: SB, Sugarbusters
Start Date: May 2010
HELLO everyone!!!

FINALLY back... work has been the PITS.... busy busy...

Went to the coast this weekend for my birthday... BAD eating!! One meal.

Today is my ACTUAL bday... so........??????? WHO KNOWS!! Lunch w/ a friend.. plan on veggie plate I think... OR a salad...

DH brought me a single piece of red velvet bday cake in bed this am with a card! Ate 2 bites... will save rest to share with him- IF I eat it at all.. it's not really that good- hate to tell him- it's store bought- kinda DRY... blah..
I want something GOOD if I'm going to BLOW IT!
Laniemargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #86
Berta48

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement Berta!

Just got off the scale....down 2 1/2 pounds after 1 week of phase 1...I will take it!

I have a pea soup in the crock pot because I just got called into work; but peas are phase 2 I think? I need to look that up, or I will check back here to see if someone posted. Plan B for my supper will be a chicken ceasar salad if its not OP...so no biggie.

Today:

B broccoli and cheese crustless quiche, V8

S nuts

L salad with hard boiled egg, chicken, and rf cheese...rf dressing

S yogurt

S...ham and pea soup, or chicken ceasar salad

Oh, and Berta...if you are buying the plain yogurt, try dumping a package of sweetner in a small bowl of it and some drops of flavor extract (strawberry, raspberry, coconut) for phase 1. Or I have been eating then Dannon Lite and Fit Carb/Diabetic friendly in vanilla. They are hard to find and only come in 4oz containers but are yummy. I see them in Strawberry too which I cant wait to try next week in phase 2!

Have a great day everyone!
Thanks I'll look for that. Our stores carryDannon and I do like the vanilla.I may buy that, then on PH2 add some fruit and nuts YUMMO

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE LOSS.You don't have as much to lose as I do, so your loss probably will be less.So hang in there girlfriend you can make it!

Last edited by Berta48; 01-11-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #87

Buckhuntress, I assume that by pea soup you mean made with dried split peas. If so, that's fine. Fresh green peas are a phase 2 food. Split peas go with the beans/legumes list in phase 1. I just have to be careful of my serving size. It's so tempting to go back for seconds.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healthybelle
Stats: 300/250/150
WOE: Primal/LCHF
Start Date: April 30 2012
Day one for hubby & myself on the SBD... Food tastes great, had the standard veggie omelet for breaky and chicken salad for lunch, but got off to a late start due to a work deadline I have. I'm glad we got the food yesterday but I lack a lot in preparation.

I'm feeling positive about this and thought of the date... 1/11/11 is a great day for Day 1 and Phase 1 of the SBD!!
healthybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #89

Quote:
Day one for hubby & myself on the SBD... Food tastes great, had the standard veggie omelet for breaky and chicken salad for lunch, but got off to a late start due to a work deadline I have. I'm glad we got the food yesterday but I lack a lot in preparation.

I'm feeling positive about this and thought of the date... 1/11/11 is a great day for Day 1 and Phase 1 of the SBD!!
Yes, the food is great and with your positive attitude, you will do well on the Beach.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #90
Queen Bargain Shopper

Quote:

It will be a special day for you and DH!!!