Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnejava
Thanks for the welcome! You are all so energetic!!!!
lynnejava is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #32
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 16th, 2014
I asked this on an earlier post but guess it got overlooked.
Is white wheat flour SB friendly. PH2 of course?
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I asked this on an earlier post but guess it got overlooked.
Is white wheat flour SB friendly. PH2 of course?
Look for something that says 100% whole wheat. Not enriched or not some whole wheat and the rest plain wheat flour. 100% whole wheat.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #34
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Look for something that says 100% whole wheat. Not enriched or not some whole wheat and the rest plain wheat flour. 100% whole wheat.
I understand that. But like white wheat pastry flour is white wheat.

All the bag says is white wheat.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I understand that. But like white wheat pastry flour is white wheat.

All the bag says is white wheat.
Flour can be tricky. What brand is it? Tell me exactly what is says on the label.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #36
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Flour can be tricky. What brand is it? Tell me exactly what is says on the label.
I haven't bought any. I was just looking at some shrimp the other day it said it was lightly coated with white wheat flour.No other type of flour was listed.

And it could be baked in the oven. So I was just wondering about when I get to PH2 again.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
That Kayln's kitchen site uses white wheat flour alot....

Today's menu:

Rf cheese omelette

nuts

4 cups salad with chick peas, olives, avocado, turkey, rf blue cheese dressing

yogurt

pot roast with mushrooms and onions (using the lite beer...but rose, I love guiness!)
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #38
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Morning All!

Welcome to the newbies!

Buckhuntress; what is that you would be making that uses that flour? There are 100% Wheat flours out there......

And MMMMMMMM to a roast cooked in beer! What is the recipe? I know there are recipes that call for a can of coke and I have used diet coke, so thinking light beer would work too?

My eating is on plan......Cookie - I am basically doing a WW/South Beach combo thing and its amazing how well they go hand in hand!!! Eating SB and counting points.....it helps me with portion control.....because even too much of a good thing is too much!!!

Hope everyone is having a good start to the new year!!!

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vfCookie
Stats: kilo 109/83.9/70
Start Date: 24 August 2007
Cindy - that is the exact reason that I started the fusion SB/WW thing. I pretty much allowed myself to eat as much as I wanted as long as it was on plan. Needless to say, pecans are not something you should do that with.

Menu yesterday:
B- 1 slice light whole wheat bread, 3 oz. lean ham, veggie soup
L - salad with lean ham, lf ranch, veggie soup, lf sf yogurt
s - cottage cheese, apple
D - last of the leftovers.... grilled center cut pork chop, sauteed greens with mushrooms & onions, ff sf yogurt (pineapple upside down cake...it was ok. Not nearly as delicious as the black forest and red velvet ones)

Wiz - I am so envious of your running. I so want to be a runner and am just not.

Welcome Buckhuntress and Lynne (sorry I missed you yesterday)

Cookie

If stress burned calories, I'd be a size 5!

proud member of the 60 lb club!

Cookie Crumbs (journal)
vfCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #40
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Good morning...well, actually it has been a crappy morning. I was up all night not feeling well, which is very unusual for me. (Thank goodness.) So no running, but still OP.

Will post my menu later, I'll see what I feel like eating as the day goes on.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #41
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot this...

FYI. I made a great Phase 1 dinner last night. Pork Chops with mushrooms, dill, sour cream. Just omit the butter (I used olive oil cooking spray) and use lite sour cream. I had fresh dill leftover from something I made for New Year's but dried dill would be a fine substitute - just use about half of what is called for.

Sauteed Pork Chops with Mushrooms, Dill, and Sour Cream Recipe at Epicurious.com

Regular recipe websites are a great place to get ideas, you just need to tweak them to be SB friendly!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laniemargaret
Stats: 181/154/135
WOE: SB, Sugarbusters
Start Date: May 2010
Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!! YEA!! Can't wait-- terrible week back at work. STRESS!

B: yogurt/ peaches/ 1/3 oats

L: big salad AGAIN---- orange (didn't have my cheese stick tasted weird...)

S: celery /lc cheese.

Dinner

had some triscuit- was STARVING!!!! don't know why... prob not enough protein in salad.

- had to leave for HOT vinyasa yoga.... WHEW!

came back and DH made chicken enchiladas... he was SO proud of himself-- didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't 'legal' for me so I ate one anyway-- but did make suggestions for next time.
Laniemargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #43
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello all, feeling better so I am posting my menu....

B: slice of crustless spinach quiche
S: yogurt
L: Salad greens, sliced leftover pork, red pepper, sundried tomatoes with EVOO and vinegar, NSA fudgsicle
S: home-made coleslaw
D: Chicken breasts baked in fresh cilantro, juice of 1 lime, EVOO, red wine vinegar, oregano, and garlic and zucchini sauteed with onion, diced tomatoes and fennel seed. May have a diet hot chocolate after dinner....
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnejava
Good Evening!

Hi all! Day 4 of phase 1, I think I'm doing okay so far...

B- Veggie egg muffs- 2

S- String cheese

L- Leftover meat loaf from Kalyn's Kitchen site/brocolli

S- Ricotta w/davincis

D- Not sure yet - Maybe big salad w/taco meat and rf cheese

I love reading your menus for ideas and recipes. Thanks!
lynnejava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #45
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Morning All!

Welcome to the newbies!

Buckhuntress; what is that you would be making that uses that flour? There are 100% Wheat flours out there......

And MMMMMMMM to a roast cooked in beer! What is the recipe? I know there are recipes that call for a can of coke and I have used diet coke, so thinking light beer would work too?

My eating is on plan......Cookie - I am basically doing a WW/South Beach combo thing and its amazing how well they go hand in hand!!! Eating SB and counting points.....it helps me with portion control.....because even too much of a good thing is too much!!!

Hi Cindy
I'm not buck huntress but I had asked if white wheat flour was SB friendly for PH2 because I saw some lightly breaded shrimp that was to be baked that had been breaded in white wheat flour .So she just made a comment that Kayln's Kitchen uses it.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #46
Berta48

Quote:
Morning All!

Welcome to the newbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
That Kayln's kitchen site uses white wheat flour alot....

Today's menu:

Rf cheese omelette

nuts

4 cups salad with chick peas, olives, avocado, turkey, rf blue cheese dressing

yogurt

pot roast with mushrooms and onions (using the lite beer...but rose, I love guiness!)
THANKS BUCKHUNTRESS
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Hello all and Happy New Year.

I am pleased to report that I lost two pounds over the holidays. I wasn't entirely good mind you... my sister-in-law makes a cheesy potato casserole that would make a grown man weep with joy. In fact I think I may have been weeping a little as I ate them. Nevertheless I done good, and now I'm on the countdown to graduation in May. Finally! An event so long in the making I think my graduate school admittance forms were written on stone tablets.

Lets all have a great year!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #48
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieb62 View Post

I am pleased to report that I lost two pounds over the holidays. I wasn't entirely good mind you... my sister-in-law makes a cheesy potato casserole that would make a grown man weep with joy. In fact I think I may have been weeping a little as I ate them. Nevertheless I done good, and now I'm on the countdown to graduation in May. Finally! An event so long in the making I think my graduate school admittance forms were written on stone tablets.

WAY TO GO JIM!
IT WON'T BE LONG NOW
Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #49
Queen Bargain Shopper

Quote:

Hi Buddy!

I think I make that SAME casserole and it's the ONE thing that DD requests every time she comes home from college!!!

And Countdown to graduation????
Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #50
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Just finished up 5-mile run, I can feel the snow in the air. It's in PA heading toward NJ now. Just when we finally got our streets cleaned up, oh well. I still can't get the Christmas lights down because my shrubs are entirely snow-covered. Maybe these will be Easter lights too!

Today's menu is a bit unplanned (which always comes back to bite me :blush however, breakfast was a great omelet filled with leftover zucchini and tomato saute from last night's dinner. Yum.

Jim, woo hoo!! 2 lbs down over the holidays. That is amazing. I am still too nervous to get on the scale. I'm just going to keep doing Phase 1 until the end of next week, then see where things are.

Gotta run!! Have a great SB weekend folks!!

2014 Running Miles: 125
2014 Walking Miles: 105
2014 Biking Miles: 286
Old 01-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Quote:
I think I make that SAME casserole and it's the ONE thing that DD requests every time she comes home from college!!!
Oh Cindy they ARE good aren't they? I don't know exactly what all goes into them but I'm pretty sure that there are psychotropic substances involved. Thanks for the well-wishes. A big hello to Berta and Wiz also and I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I spent 3.5 days with my family over Christmas which is a new record for me. A big part of having a nice holiday in my family is knowing when to get out. I suppose it's that way for most families.
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tconerly
Stats: 173/166/145
Start Date: restart: 1/31/11
ughhh! I'm officially a FAILURE! Not only have I gained back every pound I initially lost on SB, but I found a few more. Very, very heartbreaking, depressing, frustrating, irritating, I could go on and on. So, I'm back to the SB WOE. PLEASE post lots of menus and recipes. I need inspiration.

I do have a question for the vets. I am a runner. I have decided to run a half marathon on 2/13. I'm in training. I'm up to 6.5 miles, and I'm running 8 in the morning with my training group. However, I know my body needs carbs to fuel itslef for these long runs. Am I okay to have a ww bagel and a banana an hour or so before the long runs? Or will that sabotage my weight loss?
tconerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconerly View Post
ughhh! I'm officially a FAILURE! Not only have I gained back every pound I initially lost on SB, but I found a few more. Very, very heartbreaking, depressing, frustrating, irritating, I could go on and on. So, I'm back to the SB WOE. PLEASE post lots of menus and recipes. I need inspiration.

I do have a question for the vets. I am a runner. I have decided to run a half marathon on 2/13. I'm in training. I'm up to 6.5 miles, and I'm running 8 in the morning with my training group. However, I know my body needs carbs to fuel itslef for these long runs. Am I okay to have a ww bagel and a banana an hour or so before the long runs? Or will that sabotage my weight loss?
If you are training, you might want to start back in a light phase 2 ( what we vets call phase 1.5) instead of a strict phase 1. Weight loss might be slower at first, but it all evens out in the long run.

I don't mean to be argumentative, so please don't take this the wrong way, but generally speaking it is a myth that you need carbs to work out hard. I, personally, would crash if I ate only a bagel and a banana without at least an egg. I know some people who run on an empty stomach; I would be in the emergency room. But if you need certain things in order to run, then eat whatever you need with the understanding that you won't get the fast beginning loss. If you stick with SB, you will get back to goal.

Wiz runs 5 miles almost every day and she really doesn't carb up, but she's not in training. Also, look at posts by sugarlessforlife. She runs marathons.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]

Last edited by rose1; 01-07-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #54
Berta48

Quote:
Oh Cindy they ARE good aren't they? I don't know exactly what all goes into them but I'm pretty sure that there are psychotropic substances involved. Thanks for the well-wishes. A big hello to Berta and Wiz also and I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I spent 3.5 days with my family over Christmas which is a new record for me. A big part of having a nice holiday in my family is knowing when to get out. I suppose it's that way for most families.
Back at ya Jim
Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #55
Queen Bargain Shopper

Quote:
Jim; you don't want to know what's in them, but I do tweak to make a little less threatening!

And a big part of having a nice holiday in my family is THEM knowing when it's time to go home.........they never do and it always turns out .
Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #56
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconerly View Post

Sorry to hear that you got off track...it happens to the best of us!

As Rose mentions in her post, I do run 4 to 5 days a week typically 5 miles at a clip. I NEVER "carb" up before a run, or even afterward for that matter. In fact, I generally run on an empty stomach, I do not like to eat before exercising. I have a glass of water and I go!

I do sometimes go for longer runs, let's say 7 miles or so. And on those days, I may add a whole wheat english muffin to my breakfast following the run (along with my normal protein and veggies.)

Personally I agree that is a myth you need to carb up for any kind of exercise. Also, as Rose notes, Betty (Sugarlessforlife) runs marathons and she follows Atkins. She doesn't eat any bread, pasta, potatoes at all. (She does eat fruit every day.) Betty is in the middle of a move from FL to OK, so is not posting that much. But you may want to search for some of her past postings on training for long runs.

Good luck!!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi everyone,
I have been eating OP. A strict phase 1, and I have even made sure I get a serving of beans in every day as recommended.

Radmom The roast recipe is just to use a bottle of beer as your liquid in the crock pot. I have done it many different ways. For seasonings...I either rub the roast with lots of garlic, pepper, and then use some seasoned salt, or a package of onion soup mix or dry italian dressing. Then throw in some vegetables: I used whole mushrooms and vidala onion. Carrots and celery work too, whatever you want. Then pour a bottle of beer over the top and cook on low all day. My girls like to dip crusty bread in the broth it makes. The beer tenderizes the roast nicely and enhances the flavor of it. An easy meal when you are gone all day and don't have time to cook!

My weekly weigh in day isn't til Tues; but I stepped on the scale this morning hoping for a miracle because I have stayed OP so well. Barely down a pound. I won't get too discouraged because I have 9 more days of phase 1...was just hoping for that added boost of motivation. I'm hoping to kick start the weight loss with like a 5lb loss in the first 2 weeks. Time will tell...
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #58
Queen Bargain Shopper

^^^^
That Roast sounds GREAT!
I am going to try it!

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tconerly
Stats: 173/166/145
Start Date: restart: 1/31/11
Rose and Wiz, thank you for your responses! I did eat 1/2 of a ww bagel and banana before my long run (8 turned in to 9 miles!! go me!) and I was starving by the time I stretched and got to my car. Our next long run will be 10 miles this Saturday. I'll try that one with the egg. The remainder of the week will short runs...3, 5, 3 miles so it will be phase 1 eating for me. todays menu is unplanned but so far I know I will have the following:
b: v8, 2 eggs
s: cheese stick
l:?
s:?
dinner:?
tconerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healthybelle
Stats: 300/250/150
WOE: Primal/LCHF
Start Date: April 30 2012
I'm brand spanking new here but followed SB in Winter '09 and managed a 65lb weight loss in 5 months. I regained the whole amount (no extra thank you) and I am a complete sugar addict. So my goal for 2011 is to go back to South Beach (Hubby & I start tomorrow after we buy our groceries) exercise, I did NOT exercise in '09 and I'd like to start being kinder to myself. Oh and think more positive and show an attitude of gratitude.

I've been lurking since yesterday on this board and you all seem like a really nice group, so I"m glad to meet you all and look forward to getting to know everyone in the future.
healthybelle is offline   Reply With Quote