Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
September on The Beach

Summer is over. Holidays are just around the corner. Let's have a Successful September!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serena11
Stats: 172.8/164.8/128
WOE: low carb
Lanie, don't be afraid to eat the allowable foods, just try not to overeat. Eating smaller meals more frequently keeps the metabolism going. Glad you're enjoying life on the Beach so much! It is a challenge to resist fruit in the summer, but it's only temporary. You're doing great! Have fun in Galveston, and feel good about eating yogurt when others are eating ice cream! (that's my weakness, for sure)

Wiz, eggplant soup sounds wonderful--did you make it? It feels good to be back on plan, doesn't it? Are you grilling for Labor Day?

Well, I sure got my vegetables in today. It was beautiful here and dh wanted to go out for dinner. I'm getting used to ignoring bread, I just shove it over to his side of the table. Now he is gaining weight from eating my share.

B - egg, turkey bacon, sauteed mushrooms
L - salad, carne asada
D - eggplant, dandelion greens, tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions, prawns
S - few almonds

Hope everyone who is on vacation is having a good time!

*Serena*
Serena11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Restarting Phase 1 (again). SO frustrating to have failed at maintence and be here again and again
September 1st seems like a good day to restart and kick it in gear.
All the excuses of stress, blah,blah...eating doesnt fix those things. Its just a matter of regaining control and prioritizing and making it work for yourself. Right? LOL
Ok, starting weight 121.
B rf 2 egg omelette
S nuts
L salad with turkey rf dressing
S same

Working today...that is what I have packed with seltzer and water
Have a good day everyone!
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Marking my spot!!!

My favorite month is upon us and I am going to make it a good one!
How about you too!!!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grannykarla
Hi! I'm new here, and new to South Beach. I started Monday 08/30, and I'm doing good. I've lost 2 pounds so far, which I know is water weight, but I'm feeling so much better! I lost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers, and made my goal weight of 140 pounds. I went off of it a couple of months or so ago, because I had a stomach infection and had my gallbladder removed, and didn't feel like counting points with everything going on. I also quit drinking my diet Dr. Pepper that I was so hooked on. I only drink water now, and I'm so proud of myself for kicking that habit. It may be just a coincidence, but it seems like after I quit drinking my diet soda, I have had the worst sweet tooth. I was eating chocolate, ice cream, anything that would help. My jeans started getting uncomfortable, so I decided it's time to do something about it. A lady I work with told me to try South Beach, it will help me get rid of the sweet tooth. So far, so good, no cravings yet, and I haven't been hungry at all. I 46 years old, 5'3", I weighed in Monday morning at 147.6, and I would like to get under my 140 pound goal that I had at Weight Watchers, but mainly, I just want to feel better, healthier and be able to keep up with my 2 and 4 year old grandson's. My whole family all have health issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, cancer........and I don't want to have any of that happen to me.

Sorry to ramble so much, but that's my story.
grannykarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keldeb
Stats: 5'9", 171
Start Date: 8/23/10
Not my first time on the Beach, but I really want to make it work this time. I'm 51 and at my heaviest yet (5'9", 171 lbs). That may not sound like a lot to some of you, but I have always weighed between 145 and 150 my entire adult life. Got married a year and a half ago, and happiness is proving to be more sedentary and lots of eating. DH and I both are on the Beach together, which makes it easier . . . but not easy. I need daily encouragement if any of you are willing -- especially the next two weeks . . . my bad two weeks of the month. Yes, at 51 I still have PMS.
Keldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Geez, September, did this summer fly by or what? Thanks for kicking off our new SB month, Rose!

Yesterday was kinda okay eating wise, but I did not weigh in this morning (totally bloated from ToM, why get upset over water weight that will be gone soon? Better to stay away from the scale...)

B: Vegetable/egg crustless tart (I call it a tart because it was way more veggies than egg - so not quiche-like.)
S: FF Yogurt
L: more vegetable/egg tart, plus leftover string bean salad, NSA fudgsicle
S: Hummus and peanuts
D: grilled chicken tenders, tomato slices, NSA fudgsicle, 1 glass chardonnay (it was medicinal - instead of Advil )
S: thank goodness, the end of the peanuts my husband bought...

I didn't run today, gave my feet a break. I did 10 miles on my exercise bike to shake off the cobwebs!

Serena, yes, the soup was home-made. Very easy. I grilled eggplant, red pepper, and vidalia onion. Then heated on stove with canned tomatoes, chicken broth (can use veggie broth for vegetarian version), cumin, thyme, red wine vinegar - then puree. For company, I then run it through a sieve, to get it really smooth. For us, I don't mind some seeds and chunk!

Good luck to all the newbies!! This is a great plan (if you stick to it )

2014 Running Miles: 394
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keldeb
Stats: 5'9", 171
Start Date: 8/23/10
Just want to run a recipe by you "experts" and see if you think it's SB safe.

Crustless Quiche

8 eggs
1 Cup LF cheddar
1 Cup LF ricotta
1/2 Cup flour (not safe, but it's divided into 10 servings)
6 slices LF pepper jack cheese
1 stick margarine/butter, melted
1 tsp. baking powder

Mix all together. Pour half mixture (minus Pepper Jack) into 13X9 glass pan. Lay down slices of Pepper Jack. Pour other half on top. Bake at 30 min on 350. Cool and cut into 10 servings. Freeze individual servings. Pop in microwave for 2 minutes when ready to eat.

What's the verdict?????
Keldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laniemargaret
Stats: 181/154/135
WOE: SB, Sugarbusters
Start Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post

Summer is over. Holidays are just around the corner. Let's have a Successful September!
I LOVE LOVE THIS PIC!! I want to be THERE!
Laniemargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

WELCOME NEWBIES-- I'm still one too!!

Thanks Serena for the encourement for the weekend!!

meal for yesterday;
B: Ricoota Pir- V8- it's gone now!
L: 1 c chicken salad w/ bell peppers/ celery/ tomato- yogurt/ lf mayo
S: hummus/ celery
D: 4 oz chicken/ salsa 1c spinich 1c PB smoothie -YUMMY!
D: 1 pc BEAN CAKE! PUMPKIN-- so delish!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldeb View Post

Crustless Quiche

8 eggs
1 Cup LF cheddar
1 Cup LF ricotta
1 tsp. baking powder

Mix all together. Pour half mixture (minus Pepper Jack) into 13X9 glass pan. Lay down slices of Pepper Jack. Pour other half on top. Bake at 30 min on 350. Cool and cut into 10 servings. Freeze individual servings. Pop in microwave for 2 minutes when ready to eat.

What's the verdict?????
I would leave out the flour completely and cut the butter to about 2T max and maybe leave it out altogether. It would change the texture a bit, but would still be tasty and much less caloric and carby. Verdict? No.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniemargaret View Post
I LOVE LOVE THIS PIC!! I want to be THERE!
Can't you just see all of us sitting there, a book in one hand and a big glass of tea in the other?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Ahhh, yes, Rose, that would be so cool. Do you know where that is? You always come up with the most beautiful beach pics!

Karla, SB will definitely curb your sweet tooth! Good for you to get to work on those lbs. that have crept back, and I hear ya about needing to keep the weight off and stay healthy in order to keep up with the grandkids! I adore mine but I am exhausted after a visit! That's one reason I want to lose weight, too!

Keldeb--it really helps me to check in here daily, and post my menus. It helps me stay accountable. It's so great your dh is on the plan with you, that will make it easier. Mine likes to eat out a lot, and that makes it hard for me to lose. Marriage does seem to cause weight gain, but glad you are happy!

Lanie, did I read correctly that you had pumpkin beancake? That sounds fascinating enough to run out and buy! You are doing so great on the Beach--how long have you been on P1?

Wiz, the eggplant soup recipe sounds incredible. I love Vidalia onions, they are so sweet and mild. Do you grill on your stove top or outside? I really have to start trying to cook more, and I've thought about getting one of those grills you use on your stove. Dh's doc said all his research shows a glass of wine a day is a requirement for good health!

Buckhuntress, I agree with you that successful weight loss demands prioritizing! You've had control before, you can get it back!

Cindy, September and October are my favorite months. We're starting the month off right to get those lbs. off before winter!

We had another gorgeous autumnal feeling day here, so I went for an evening walk in the park. I can't believe some of the poplar trees have lost their leaves already--we have had such a cool summer, I guess that's why. I also went to the gym today. So it was a good exercise day.

B - egg, turkey sausage, sauteed mushrooms
L - salad, chicken, ratatouille
D - leftover Greek food from dinner last night
S - 1/2 sf fudgsicle

We're all going to lose weight this September!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
Queen Bargain Shopper

Serena - I agree!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #15
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldeb View Post

Crustless Quiche

8 eggs
1 Cup LF cheddar
1 Cup LF ricotta
1 tsp. baking powder

What's the verdict?????
I'm with Rose...this does not fit the SB plan. Not only the flour and butter, but wow, that's a lot of cheese!

Here's what I do for a crustless quiche kind of dish:

In a pie or quiche dish, coat with cooking spray. Spred ~ 4 oz (or more if you want) shredded RF cheese (any kind is good, such as Mozzarella or Cheddar/Jack) on the bottom of the dish. This will form a "crust" when it bakes. On top, put a combination of veggies you like. My go-to mix is a box of chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained well, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers. (All freezer and pantry items!) Spread them around. Top with 6 beaten eggs. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

But I've also done this with chopped chicken sausage and sauteed zucchini slices. Or tomatoes and vidalia onions (cooked first), or mushrooms and broccoli, etc.

You want your quiche to have veggies and protein. The more veggies the better!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #16
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Can't you just see all of us sitting there, a book in one hand and a big glass of tea in the other?
I would love to be sitting there, but oh boy, I cannot stand iced tea. I guess I would be holding a glass of chardonnay
Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I SURE can Rose!!! ahhhhhhhhh......
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Hi Serena!

YES-- BEAN CAKE is AWESOME!!!!!!!! It's in the SB STICKY--'BEAN CAKE" I made it twice already... DH REALLY likes it too!! Even my little Hailey 'doggie' inHALED a piece I had left out for DH! Sooo she goes BONKERS when she smells it now!! LOL!!! I want to eat the WHOLE THING!! Feels like a CHEAT food for sure...

I've been doing SB PH 1 only since last Friday- so tomorrow will be one wk. I was on the FOOD ADDICTS plan- just like AA-- TOO RESTRICTIVE for me - it works like a charm.. but for LIFE??????? No can do... I could come closer to staying on SB ph 1 for LIFE first! I lost 19 lbs. now - PRAY the loss will continue. From SB - ? - Plan on staying on PH 1 if needed more than the 2wks.

Yesterday's menu was;

B: 1 c plain yogurt, w/ chopped walnuts 2T- 1 pc Pumkin bean cake... coffee
L: 1 c turkey, canelli beans/rotel/onion mix- 1 c spinich

S: bean cake / cheese stick

D: Chicken (fajita) green peppers/ onion

TODAY has NOT started too well... last night power went out from HUGE storms- 8pm came on 7am... a HOT miserable night... not much sleep. Showering by candlelight is interesting...
I ALREADY had TWO cups of java... TWO pcs BEAN CAKE and plain yogurt.. hope the rest of the day goes better-- just plain hungry this AM.-- sigh---

I brought the remainder of the 'cake' for coworkers!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena11 View Post
Ahhh, yes, Rose, that would be so cool. Do you know where that is? You always come up with the most beautiful beach pics!

Serena, it's to nice to see your beautiful face here again. The beach is on the gulf coast of Florida I used to spend some time there in the summer with an aunt and uncle when I was in grammar school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
I would love to be sitting there, but oh boy, I cannot stand iced tea. I guess I would be holding a glass of chardonnay
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #20

Periodic rant

Just a gentle warning about the bean cake. It's been the downfall of many a Beacher. Continued eating of foods such as this, even if they are technically legal, only continues to feed the sweet monster and defeats the purpose of SB. Carry on.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #21

An edit. Lanie, I'm not criticizing you at all; just a periodic observation from being around so long. Good job on taking the rest to work.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
Queen Bargain Shopper

Even though I am a big fan of the bean cake - sorry Rose - I do agree somewhat. For me when I make it; it is more of a treat.

DD made a crustless quiche for me the other day.....sauteed green onions, red peppers and onions, along with a bag of frozen chopped broccoli. Threw that in a 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam, beat up about a dozen eggs with a splash of skim; threw in some rf shredded colby jack and asiago cheeses and baked. It was soooooooooo good!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Even though I am a big fan of the bean cake - sorry Rose - I do agree somewhat. For me when I make it; it is more of a treat.

DD made a crustless quiche for me the other day.....sauteed green onions, red peppers and onions, along with a bag of frozen chopped broccoli. Threw that in a 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam, beat up about a dozen eggs with a splash of skim; threw in some rf shredded colby jack and asiago cheeses and baked. It was soooooooooo good!
We have had the bean cake discussion before, haven't we! I'm not dissing bean cake so much as warning of the slippery slope. Too much of a good thing ( ) and all that. Now, the crustless quiche--YUM!

Last edited by rose1; 09-02-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Rose, thanks--it's good to be back in control! When I lived in Indiana, I visited Florida. The beaches there are so beautiful with their warm, white sand and all the shells. A perfect place to dream about!

Lanie, yes, you can live with SB the rest of your life! Congratulations on your 19 lb. loss! I restarted P1 a week ago today, and have lost 2 lbs. Most people lose more than that their first week, but we ate out several meals and there's always hidden fat, sugar, and salt. But the best thing is I've busted my bread and sugar cravings so I can stick to the plan without suffering!

Your menus look so good, you must enjoy cooking?

Wiz, your crustless quiche sounds delicious! And easy; I'm going to try it.

Cindy--we will get where we want to be!

I had a good day today. Lots of seafood, and salad. That usually gets the scale to move down a bit. Hoping for another 2 lbs. on my second week of P1.

B - egg, jalapeno chicken sausage, sliced yellow tomato
L - salad, shrimp
S - few almonds, lc choc
D - crab and shrimp salad
Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #25
Queen Bargain Shopper

Quote:
We have had the bean cake discussion before, haven't we! I'm not dissing bean cake so much as warning of the slippery slope. Too much of a good thing ( ) and all that. Now, the crustless quiche--YUM!

Exactly - too much can be a downfall!!!

I love the crustless quiche's and fritatta's. DD20 is a vegetarian as some of you know, and she has learned to make them and loves them as well! The possibilities are endless!

Happy Friday all - I am off on a mini vacation tomorrow through Wednesday so will be MIA - will plan on lots of activity - hiking, walking, and planning on staying OP as best I can - which shouldn't be too hard!!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

THANK YOU Rose and Cindy!!!! THIS is what this site is ABOUT!!!!!!! Helping each other meet GOAL!!!! YES!!!!! Bean cake is a MAGICAL food... that I immediately LOVED-- lol... TOO MUCH... I will CERTAINLY have to limit that.... My huge problem seems to be getting VEGGIES in the AM-- on workdays, I tend to eat plain yogurt (USED to be with fruit) well- now fruit is OUT-- so Veggies don't seem to be something to eat for breakfast. Not that crazy about V8- I do try- but it's SALTY too... the low sodium has more sugar.. hhmm...??

Serena-- no I REALLY don't enjoy cooking that much-- after working all day- I just want to do NOTHING when I get home... we eat out too... I seems I have to stick to salads then. BUT when I read some of these recipes and the foods that are allowed-- I went NUTS-- it's like I can EAT NOW!!!!!!! YEEHAW!! SERIOUSLY- the 'other plan' was MEAT, VEGGIE, FRUIT, YOGURT
THAT is ALL! NOTHING else! so----- this has been a treat in itself- cheese, nuts, eggs, etc...

WELL-- 1st week on SB-- PH 1-- I lost 1 LB.! Was hoping for MORE-- must've been that cake! LOL!! no -really I didn't know what to expect after getting to add more foods in my diet... I had lost MORE on the other plan - but Sooooooooooo hard and BORING! Just HAPPY!! THIS 1 lb. made me at 20lbs DOWN!!! YEEHAW!!!! at LEAST 20 more to go!

Ok- down to business--

Thurs menu-

B: yogurt,that LAST bean cake...
S: almonds
L: 1 c turkey, veggie mixture 1 c greens
S: choc ricotta
D: few bites chicken-- 1c yogurt-- didn't feel too well...

HAVE A GREAT DAY AND WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!! Galveston is CALLING my name!
LATER!!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #27

So, why is fruit out?

A great way to get veggies in is quiche/fritatas. At our house, we grate 12 oz cheese, beat 12 eggs, gather up a generous 6 c of sauteed veggies, add whatever seasoning seems appropriate, mix it all up and bake in a 9x13 pan. Add ham or sausage if you want it. Cut it into 12 pieces and each piece gives you 1 oz cheese, 1 egg and 1/2 c veggies. Good hot or cold, at any meal or snack!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

What a great idea, Rose--delicious and all calculated out! I have had to learn to watch my portion sizes in order to lose weight. Can't overeat, even on allowable foods!

Lanie, Woo-Hoo! 20 lbs.gone! One lb. a week is a good goal for ongoing weight loss. When you've already lost weight on another plan, you won't have as big an initial drop as someone who just started. And, we're losing weight on a way of eating that is healthy and that we can live with. So you're doing great! Have lots of fun in Galveston and stay on plan, girl--you can do it!

Cindy, sounds like you've got a nice weekend in store; enjoy your hikes!

I went to lunch with friends today, and did not cheat. It's getting easier. I plan ahead what I'm going to order and ignore everything else. Had a good time. No special plans for the weekend, just relaxing at home I guess. The grandkids went back to San Diego so I have more time on my hands.

B - egg, turkey sausage, sauteed mushrooms
L - sirloin steak salad
S - lc choc
D - minestrone soup, lean beef on a bed of arugula

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #29

House cleaning planned for this weekend. Have to remember to eat!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Have to remember to eat?! Wish I could forget!

B - egg, can. bacon, tomato
L - shrimp, crab, spinach
S - almonds, lt. cheese
D - tuna, crookneck squash, eggplant
S - few nuts