Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Hey, Buddy. Thanks for the link. How are you???
I'm doing well, Rose. This is my last term at school and then I'm officially a college graduate and full-time working stiff. Look out world! Jim's about to be unleashed again and causing all kinds of mayhem. I won't have time to post much but I think about my buddies here often and hope you are all doing well! Thanks to a nasty cold/flu type thing going around campus these past few weeks, I've lost another six pounds. Definitely not the most pleasant way to lose weight but I'll take it!

Last edited by jlieb62; 09-24-2010 at 08:54 PM..
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Texoma
Stats: 173/155/145
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/3/11
B 2 eggs fried in olive oil (idea from Kayln's Kitchen), milk, coffee
L berry smoothie, 2 pieces of cheddar, 3 roasted tomatoes with basil and goat cheese
D taco bowl
S small glass of wine and 2 light beers

Where are my veggies? In the fridge...probably rotting. I will try again tomorrow.
Texoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serena11
Stats: 172.8/164.8/128
WOE: low carb
Hmmm...I like the snack, there, Texoma! But, after all, they were light beers, right? mmmm

I had goat cheese and tomatoes today, too! (But my snack was much less fun)
What a great combination. Must be the weather. It is heating up here. We had a really cool summer, now it is making up for it with temps in the 90's. Had lunch out w/ a friend down at the boat harbor. It was fun, but ate off the plan cause it was all burgers and such.

B - egg, Uncle Sam's cereal w/berries and almonds
L - 1/2 burger, onion rings (oops)
D - spinach, tomato, goat cheese quesadilla on ww tortilla, 1/2 c. lentil soup
S - lc choc

*Serena*
Serena11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #154
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Jim!!!!

So good to *see* you! Miss you buddy!!!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlieb62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Jim!!!! So good to *see* you! Miss you buddy!!!
Hiya Cindy. I'm around, just not able to post very often right now. Hope you are well!
jlieb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #156
Queen Bargain Shopper

Other than reoccurring back issues; I am great!!!
Keep up the good work in school!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Hi everyone,
Just looking at a recipe in the Super charged book for Shepherd's Pie and it calls for 2cups edamame which I forgot to buy when I shopped. Any suggestions on a substitute or if it would hurt to leave it out? The main veggie in the recipe is 1lb. of cauliflower.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #158
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi everyone,
Just looking at a recipe in the Super charged book for Shepherd's Pie and it calls for 2cups edamame which I forgot to buy when I shopped. Any suggestions on a substitute or if it would hurt to leave it out? The main veggie in the recipe is 1lb. of cauliflower.
Chickpeas will work. Or a combo of other veggies, but what you are really looking for is the extra protein in this recipe, so I would use extra meat and a combo of veggies if I didn't have chickpeas. Of course, since we don't eat meat, I use tofu.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi everyone,

Just posting my menu late:

B 2 scrambled eggs, V8 juice

L salad with chicken, rf swiss, avocado, rf ranch

S I had a garden salad with rf blue cheese dressing to hold me over for a late supper

D I'm meeting a friend at a chain pub tonight. I looked up their menu online and Im going to get steak tips and substitute the starch for mashed cauliflower and it comes with broccoli. I usually try to plan what I will get BEFORE I get to a resteraunt if possible. Just easier for me to stay on plan and then Im not looking at other options when Im too hungry.
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #160
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Chickpeas will work. Or a combo of other veggies, but what you are really looking for is the extra protein in this recipe, so I would use extra meat and a combo of veggies if I didn't have chickpeas. Of course, since we don't eat meat, I use tofu.
Thanks Rose.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Good Morning!

I have a question for you. . . My weight loss journey started with Atkins last year (July) but I quickly found that it contained to much fat and I quit losing after about 2 months. I searched the forums and decided to give Stillman's a shot. I've been on that plan every since (The QWL) and have only had minimal results but during that time, I found that I had thyroid issues. I think I'm finally stabilized with meds but needed something new so I decided to try The South Beach Diet. I'm on day 6. . haven't seen any results yet but I'm thinking becuase I did no carb for so long that my body will take some time to adjust (Veggies were on my No/no list so I'm really enjoying this!). . Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has had similiar experience. I really think this is a plan I could follow for life as I am used to the idea of giving up the "bad carbs and processed food". . I really missed veggies on Stillman's so I'm willing to wait a little longer to see a loss.. Thank you for any input. You guys all look like you've done great!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

IM2fat,
I am an newbie too on day 5 . I have dropped a couple of pounds already. I was eating 10-15 carbs a day prior to SB. I am using the supercharged plan and also exercise. I was worried that I would gain to but so far I haven't as I think my calories are lower since most veggies are lower calorie than fattier proteins obviously. Also I have only added in small amounts of yogurt and black soybeans in addition to the increase in the allowed vegetables. I have not tried nuts yet. I having been vlc am increasing slowly. I am not sure what you have added back in or the amounts but you may need to go slower or maybe like you said it is water weight that will balance out?? I feel much better eating this way I was getting heartburn and lots of indigestion with high fat. I also have more energy. Hope you can figure out what will work for you.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-26-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Texoma
Stats: 173/155/145
Start Date: 1/3/11
B 2 eggs, milk, coffee
L some lf cheese, turkey hotdog no bun
S 2 pickles handful of dried cherries
D (Denny's) open face pulled pork w/ww bun, sauteed spinach w/ pico & bacon, green beans
Texoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Well after a week of phase 1.5....Im up 2 pounds this morning
Discouraging but motivating me to be alot stricter this week with phase one. if anyone notices anything wrong with my menu's your help is greatly appreciated!

B 2 egg omelette with broccoli and rf cheese

S nuts (I have a mix I make of unsalted pecans, walnuts, and almonds and measure 1/4 cup

L Bed of lettuce with tuna made with RF mayo, chopped celery, cucumber, and dill pickle

S...I will be at work, probably nothing

D When I get home from work I will reheat some stuff zucchini I have in the freezer that is phase 1 friendly with rf cottage cheese, ground beef, tomato.

I drink coffee with skim milk in the morning and water and seltzer the rest of the day
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: puppylove
Hi everyone...I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I am feeling quite discouraged. I started SB the first week of August, and I have lost 8-10lbs since then. I have stayed at the same weight for about 4 weeks now. I know that I need to step up the exercise....but I feel so disappointed in my progress. I really thought I would be down at least 12-15 lbs by now.
I am 5'8", 32 years old, female. I started at 216lbs and now (this am) I am 207lbs. I am on phase 2.

B: LF plain yogurt w/Truvia packet, V8, coffee

S: LF string cheese, tomato slices
L: turkey burger w/ LF mozzarella, sliced cucumber with O/V
D: ? probably chicken breast with steamed asparagus, 1/2 c. brown rice.
W/O: 1/2 hour on elliptical.
puppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #166
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CarbFree4Me
Stats: 225/199/150
WOE: South Beach - Holding out in induction
Start Date: August 9, 2010
I started on Aug 9 and am down 18 lbs now - last couple weeks the pounds have been really slow as well - 1 maybe 2. Even if it's just a lb a week I'm happy though, my clothes are fitting better, people are starting to notice I was hoping to shoot for a continual 2 lb/week. I walk about 40 minutes every evening - might need to add a morning stationary bike ride to pump things up a bit. Hang in there - every pound counts toward your goal !! I'm still trying to stay with Phase 1 - and plan to do so until I lose a bit more - I'm happy with the food choices, though I really do miss fruit the most. Typical breakfast is scrambled egg with turkey sausage, cheese and a bit of butter and salt, typical lunch is a romaine salad with mushrooms, turkey and a bit of blue cheese and home-made vinaigrette. Typical dinner - meat and veggie item (really don't miss the pasta or rice which was a typical staple item before I started). Do miss a good piece of french or italian bread and butter though :{
CarbFree4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Well after a week of phase 1.5....Im up 2 pounds this morning
Discouraging but motivating me to be alot stricter this week with phase one. if anyone notices anything wrong with my menu's your help is greatly appreciated!

B 2 egg omelette with broccoli and rf cheese

S nuts (I have a mix I make of unsalted pecans, walnuts, and almonds and measure 1/4 cup

L Bed of lettuce with tuna made with RF mayo, chopped celery, cucumber, and dill pickle

S...I will be at work, probably nothing

D When I get home from work I will reheat some stuff zucchini I have in the freezer that is phase 1 friendly with rf cottage cheese, ground beef, tomato.

I drink coffee with skim milk in the morning and water and seltzer the rest of the day
A couple of things. You are really short on veggies. Try to bump that up a notch. Without knowing the portions of your meals, the intake for the day looks kinda sparse. It might not make sense on the surface, but you have to eat enough to keep your metabolism perking.

I think I recall that you don't have time to eat at work, is that right? How about taking some cut up veggies to have at work with hummus or something similar? Your basic menu looks good, but it really helps to get those veggies in.

Finally, your weight is going to fluctuate. You aren't going to lose pounds every week even if everything is perfect. Many things can cause a few pounds to hang on--a little too much sodium ( seltzer has a lot of sodium, unless you are drinking low sodium seltzer ), hormones, OTC pain killers, lack of sleep, etc. Unless you have eaten that many extra calories, that 2 lbs is not fat. Focus on the long term, not day to day or week to week. Look for a downward trend over time. Focus on feeling well and let the weight take care of itself.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ctmomm
Stats: 140/128/120 5.2
Start Date: June 1, 2010
Great advice Rose!

I don't have much time, but I have a question. If you had to go off plan and only had the choice of high fat or high carbs, which would you pick? Sometimes I find myself in that situation and don't know what to do...

Mary
ctmomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for your response Rose! it is greatly appreciated.

I guess I'm a little confused how many portions of veggies I should be having a day. Is there a recommended # of servings per meal? For example yesterday I had broccoli at breakfast, salad at lunch, and zucchini and tomato with supper....so I thought I was doing pretty good. I will try to post truer to portion size and increase my veggies.

Also, the seltzer I drink has no sodium...it actually has nothing in it...lol. I started drinking it to replace my craving for diet coke. No brand of seltzer I have come across has any sodium in it, which is why I thought it was a good choice. I will continue to watch labels and watch out for that because sometimes I switch brands for a sale.

Menu today: (Hope its better?)

B 2 egg omelette with 2slices rf cheese and stuffed with mushrooms. V8 (still trying to get rid of these and added a veggie here...tasting a LITTLE better..lol) Already ate this...the rest is the plan for the day

S individual size container of LF cottage cheese (they are 4oz) V8

L leftover lean hamburger (1/4lb before cooking) and a large serving of some homemade coleslaw I made last night (cabbage mix, rf mayo, cider vinegar, equal...its on the dry side)

S celery sticks (I have little bags of 8 made up) with a wedge of RF laughing cow blue cheese (new flavor I found...very good!)

D 6 oz grilled sirloin steak grilled with garlic powder and pepper rubbed on it, then I made a bean salad this morning that I will have a large serving of (2 parts green beans, 1 part chick peas, leftover mushrooms and sliced black olives tossed in there, marinating in rf italian dressing). I probably will put a salad on the table or some sliced tomatoes incase the kids dont like the bean concoction...lol

S 1/4 unsalted nuts if Im hungry later

I think I may be bloated from being a woman, but hoping the scale likes me this week.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laniemargaret
Stats: 181/154/135
WOE: SB, Sugarbusters
Start Date: May 2010
Quote:
Finally, your weight is going to fluctuate. You aren't going to lose pounds every week even if everything is perfect. Many things can cause a few pounds to hang on--a little too much sodium ( seltzer has a lot of sodium, unless you are drinking low sodium seltzer ), hormones, OTC pain killers, lack of sleep, etc. Unless you have eaten that many extra calories, that 2 lbs is not fat. Focus on the long term, not day to day or week to week. Look for a downward trend over time. Focus on feeling well and let the weight take care of itself.
Rose------ THANKs for posting this-- I NEED this reminder!!!!!!! I pay way too much attention to that NUMBER...

I'm doing 'ok'-- on plan- getting BORED... need to change some things...
I get in a RUT with same foods-- b/c of simplicity-- and $$..

B: yogurt/ grapes/ cheese stick
S: celery
L: chicken/ brocolli/ veggie 'chips'- dried not fried.
D: Angus patty/ sliced tom/ gr beans/ 1/2 c butter beans
RICOTTA CREME.. prob too much... sigh....

I PROB shouldn't eat GRAPES-??? But these were .67 a POUND!!! WOW!!!
Laniemargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmomm View Post
Great advice Rose!

I don't have much time, but I have a question. If you had to go off plan and only had the choice of high fat or high carbs, which would you pick? Sometimes I find myself in that situation and don't know what to do...

Mary
Hmm. I'm trying to think of a scenario in which I could only choose high fat or high carb. Can you give an example? Without knowing the choices, I would say high fat maybe? Interesting question.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

ctmomm I think I understand your question. I travel frequently and find myself eating on the airplane or airport and try to make decisions to stay as closely on plan as possible. But then again I fell off the phase 3 wagon after a year of maintence and 10lbs found their way back on me....but here are some choices I have made in the past:

full fat bacon or sausage with my breakfast instead of potatoes or white toast

full fat cottage cheese or very buttered vegetable mixes, or deli coleslaw instead of rice, refriend beans, french french fries, mashed potatoes or chips

So usually I go with the fat, because Im usually worried about the hidden sugar and lack of fiber and high carb count in something else.

Today Im having (lots of leftovers to use up)

B 2 scrambles eggs with 2slices rf cheese, V8

L hamburger with coleslaw

D sirloin with my bean mixture

Not sure on snacks...think Im gonna make some veggie dip to go with the cauliflower I bought.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 AM   #173
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi everyone.
I need some help here the gas from the beans and increased veggies is getting a bit embarrassing and at times even uncomfortable. I bought some beano and tried it with dinner last night and it made little difference. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Hi jeaniem,

Nice to meet you. Are you on phase 1? I remember back when I first started the diet, my body definately went through a "clean out" so to speak, and I was also experiencing similar discomfort like you are mentioning. But after moving to phase 2 it subsided and all kinda corrected itself.

If you are in phase 2 or 3...I would recommend looking at what veggies and beans you are eating to find the culprit and mix it up a bit. Like usually a form or lentil is problematic for me, as is broccoli or a tomato sauce. So I usually will have one or the other during the course of a day. Never combine them. If I have chili or minestrone soup for lunch with kidney beans for example...I will opt for salad instead of steamed broccoli with dinner.

I'm also a huge fan of carbonated drinks to help with this. I switched from diet coke to sodium free seltzer and for some reason it settles my tummy so to speak

Hope this helps

Hope that helps
Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

This thread has really slowed down!

Where are all the beachers?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #176
Queen Bargain Shopper

Quote:
This thread has really slowed down!

Where are all the beachers?
Good question - I honestly think that things got out of hand in here for awhile with people not really wanting to do South Beach....meaning they said they were doing SB but wanted to do it their *own* way. Lots of the regulars disappeared!!!

But WE are all still here, right?

I have been struggling a little the last couple weeks.
Reigning it in and getting back on track!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #177
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi jeaniem,

Nice to meet you. Are you on phase 1? I remember back when I first started the diet, my body definately went through a "clean out" so to speak, and I was also experiencing similar discomfort like you are mentioning. But after moving to phase 2 it subsided and all kinda corrected itself.

If you are in phase 2 or 3...I would recommend looking at what veggies and beans you are eating to find the culprit and mix it up a bit. Like usually a form or lentil is problematic for me, as is broccoli or a tomato sauce. So I usually will have one or the other during the course of a day. Never combine them. If I have chili or minestrone soup for lunch with kidney beans for example...I will opt for salad instead of steamed broccoli with dinner.

I'm also a huge fan of carbonated drinks to help with this. I switched from diet coke to sodium free seltzer and for some reason it settles my tummy so to speak

Hope this helps

Hope that helps
Thanks. I am in phase 1 day 9. I was a bottomless pit today for some reason and ate way too much food all legal stuff but still more than I should have. I cook all veggies only ones close to raw are v-8 juice,cucumber or celery. Maybe it is the soybeans or the cauliflower causing the gas and bloating.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-30-2010 at 04:41 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Hi Radmom! So good to see a regular back!

I have been in your shoes WAY too long now. I was just saying to my hubby last night..."you know I kept it off successfully for so long, and then ten pounds found their way back by me doing my own thing" I said I need to really be way more cautious of ingredient substitutions, or not thinking a little of this and a little of that wont matter. Somewhere along the way I lost phase 3 and came up with my own way...that FAILED (there, I said it..lol)

But man, SO hard to reign it in and get focused again.

As cliche as it sound...nothing tastes as good as being your ideal weight feels, and I miss that. The cute clothes, just eating to refuel...not craving things I dont need or really want. The short term gratification for me is just never worth it.

Now...to someone find that strong will power and motivation. The plan is really not that hard.

And just for the record...your words of wisdom, and roses, and Wizs...etc. You guys are an awesome reinforcement of what the plan truly is!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

jeaniem

Cauliflower is never very nice to me either...
Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi everyone.
I need some help here the gas from the beans and increased veggies is getting a bit embarrassing and at times even uncomfortable. I bought some beano and tried it with dinner last night and it made little difference. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks
Depending on how you were eating before, it's probably just your digestive system getting used to the greater amounts of fiber. Give it time. Cruciferous vegetables give some people problems, so look there. Also, digestion starts in your mouth, so it is important to chew well. It's hard for most people to chew well enough; it takes too much time and we are so often rushed, but if we would chew each bite until it is liquefied before swallowing, many digestive problems resolve themselves.