Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica0106
Stats: 196/191.4/150
WOE: WW/SB
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Stevia

I just saw on my Hungry Girl e-mails that there is a new product called Stevia in the Raw, like Sugar in the Raw. I have been wanting to experiment with it. I have purchased some TrueVia to try but noticed it was mixed with sugar alcohol and other all natural products.

I just looked on the Stevia In the Raw website and saw this:
What is Stevia Extract In The Raw®?
Stevia Extract In The Raw is a naturally delicious, zero–calorie, granulated sweetener derived directly from the leafy green foliage of the Stevia plant (stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). The sweetest part of the plant — an extract called Rebiana (a.k.a. Rebaudioside–A or Reb–A) — is then isolated to create a sweetener extract that is 300 to 400 times sweeter than cane sugar. Because the stevia extract is so sweet, it requires blending with a bulking agent so that it can most conveniently be measured, poured and used as a substitute for sugar or other caloric sweeteners.

In our Packet Product, the stevia extract is blended with dextrose, a natural carbohydrate derived from corn, to produce the 100% natural, zero calorie sweetener we call Stevia Extract In The Raw.

In our Cup For Cup “Baker’s Bag” Product, stevia extract is blended with maltodextrin, a natural carbohydrate derived from corn to produce a 100% natural, zero calorie sweetener that matches the sweetness of sugar “cup for cup”.

Aren't dextrose and maltodextrin no good? Any advice?
Jessica0106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Texoma
Stats: 173/155/145
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/3/11
To my understanding, dextrose is sugar. My parent were using this on Atkins and I told them they needed another brand that doesn't have sugar in it. I didn't want it to induce cravings and throw them off the wagon. I was in the natural/vegan section of the message board and they all seemed to really like nu-natural stevia because the flavor is better than most.
Texoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
To my understanding, dextrose is sugar. My parent were using this on Atkins and I told them they needed another brand that doesn't have sugar in it. I didn't want it to induce cravings and throw them off the wagon. I was in the natural/vegan section of the message board and they all seemed to really like nu-natural stevia because the flavor is better than most.
Thanks for the info I will see if I can find that product. Nu-Natural Stevia, right? I was definetely concerned when I saw they mixed it with dextrose and maltodextrin - EEECKK...chemicals!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thier products are mixed with dextrose and maltodextrin as well
Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
I tried the raw stevia in a cafe once; bitter aftertaste with that one too! At least for me.
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica0106 View Post
Thier products are mixed with dextrose and maltodextrin as well
The NuNaturals Liquid Stevia has no maltodextrin or dextrose. It's the only stevia product I like in my coffee. They sell it here at Netrition too.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
The NuNaturals Liquid Stevia has no maltodextrin or dextrose. It's the only stevia product I like in my coffee. They sell it here at Netrition too.
The only thing I would put it in would be plan NF yogurt. Have you ever tried it in that?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doitforyou4
Stats: struggling....
WOE: pending
Start Date: Nov. 5, 2007
Yea maltodextrin and dextrose are just sugars.
Doitforyou4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fcmonroe
Stats: 242/235/170
WOE: South Beach--Phase one
Start Date: 4/26/2010
I've tried the nu-naturals liquid vanilla stevia in yogurt and in ricotta cheese. I like it a lot. It's expensive, but a little bit goes a long way. (The 2 ounce bottle says it has 240 servings!) It's really good in tea with a little creamer. The ingredients are about the same as vanilla extract.

I found mine at the local health food store. I've tried some of the other stevia products, but they had a bitter aftertaste.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deedee31266
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 15, 2010
I have found that Stevia is a little too bitter for me. I have tried it on many occasions, trying to like it, but gave up. I don't want to use any artificial sweeteners, so a little xylitol is my choice. It has about 40% fewer calories than regular sugar, so it isn't calorie free, but reduced. It taste wonderful! NO bitter taste, and it is beneficial for the body as well.
deedee31266 is offline   Reply With Quote