Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Thank you so much--guess I overlooked this post-can't wait to much this recipe!!
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendalina
Stats: start: 196 goal: 165
WOE: Livin la vida LOW CARB!!!!
Start Date: September 22, 2008 - again!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Judy - most of us eat either the *Bean Bread* or muffins for breakfast. I actually cut my splenda back to 3/4 cup.

This beauty has helped a lot of us for breakfast or for snacks or even for a sweet treat.

Which reminds me - it's fall and time to break out the pumpkin! Last fall, I would make the bean bread with the pumpkin and pumpkin spice and top with a dollop of Cool Whip! OMG - OP and so decadent!!!
I totally made some pumpkin bread this morning! It was amazing with my coffee. It is finally not a thousand degrees here, so the windows were open and I really enjoyed my breakfast!

Wendy
Wendalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 AM   #183
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kavewoman1
Stats: 210/192/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: September 2008
Hi, I'm new here and to South Beach. I want to try the muffins. Could anyone tell me how many of these muffins you eat at one time? I was going to make them in the mini muffin pan like Snow White's recipe suggests, but might make them in the regular size pan if it doesn't affect the taste/texture. (Can you tell I don't do alot of baking?) :O)

Thanks,
Angie
kavewoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #184
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavewoman1 View Post
Hi, I'm new here and to South Beach. I want to try the muffins. Could anyone tell me how many of these muffins you eat at one time? I was going to make them in the mini muffin pan like Snow White's recipe suggests, but might make them in the regular size pan if it doesn't affect the taste/texture. (Can you tell I don't do alot of baking?) :O)
Hi Angie - I make these regularly every week. I believe you are on Phase 1. I'd say two normal size muffins a day? I double the recipe (plus have tweaked and I must say my pumpkin spice are to die for - let me know if you want my tweaks! They are P1 friendly!). So for doubling the recipe, I get 2 dz regular size muffins.
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #185
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Cindy - I'd love to have your tweaks...pumpkin is very fall appealing. I'm actually on Phase 2 (week 4 on SB). I actually made the cinnamon muffins this morning...I only had one mini-muffin pan, so I got 12 mini muffins and 6 regular size. I was pleasantly surprised at how good these are!!! The texture is a bit cake like and a just a bit dry, but with some tea or milk to drink, they're GREAT! I believe I read to store these in the fridge...is that correct?

Angie
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #186
Queen Bargain Shopper

Angie - yes, I keep them in the fridge....

Ok, here are my tweaks in red:

(1) 15oz. can of white beans. Rinse and drain.
4 eggs (egg beaters work fine also). [COLOR="Red"]I use 3[/COLOR]
1 cup Splenda [COLOR="Red"]I cut splenda to 3/4 cup[/COLOR]
1/4 cup dry milk (helps to make it rise)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla [COLOR="red"]I use two tsps [/COLOR]
1 tsp. cinnamon[COLOR="red"] OMIT[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Add 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and a half of a cup of pumpkin.[/COLOR]

OMG - if you like pumpkin and Fall , you will LOVE these!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Cindy! I'm looking forward to making these.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HMO73
Stats: 147/144/125
Start Date: Oct. 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Bean cakes rule! No flour, no sugar and very filling. What's not to like?

Here's one of my favourite recipes I adapted from another South Beach Board. It's great! It makes 8 chewy, fudgy, guilt-free brownies. They freeze well too.

CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

Makes 8

1 cup (200g/7 oz) dried black beans, soaked overnight (or 3 cups cooked black beans)
1 large egg
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup granular Splenda

If using dried black beans, cook in usual way. If using tinned black beans, drain and rinse well.

Preheat oven to 180ºC/355ºF. Prepare an 8 x 8" cake pan.

Mix ingredients together in food processor until pureed. Pour into cake pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until done. Cool in tin on wire rack, then cut into 8 portions.

Nutritional info per brownie
Cals: 155
Carbs: 19.9g
Protein: 8.6g
Fat: 5.2g
I'm new to SBD and I am curious if this is PHASE 1 friendly? It says there is applesauce in it so my guess is no....:blush:
HMO73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Judynyc
Stats: 274/154/160
WOE: South Beach-maintenance
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMO73 View Post
I'm new to SBD and I am curious if this is PHASE 1 friendly? It says there is applesauce in it so my guess is no....:blush:
I'd stay away from this kind of stuff in phase I...even if you don't add the applesauce...its a bit too like cake for new people and can trigger cravings for more cake!!
Judynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #190
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HMO73
Stats: 147/144/125
Start Date: Oct. 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc View Post
I'd stay away from this kind of stuff in phase I...even if you don't add the applesauce...its a bit too like cake for new people and can trigger cravings for more cake!!

Thank youI am one of those cake people too....If I have a little I just want more. I will pass on the recipe.
HMO73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #191
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMO73 View Post
There are other yummy bean cake & muffins on this thread & the recipe sticky at the Recipe & Help thread.

Speaking on behalf of my family (which have lost steadily for over a month ) the bean muffins & cakes have HELPED us to be able to satisfy a sweet craving and stay within our limits. We count 1 muffin as part of the daily allowance of a "sweet treat".

When I make the savory muffins we have two muffins and count them as the bean portion of our meal.

It's "bean" working for us - but it's a YMMV sorta thing
2003 - (443lbs to 429lbs) 14 lost, 2004 - (429 lbs to 306lbs) 123 lb lost (WLS 1/15/04), 2005 - (306lbs to 260lbs) 46 lbs lost, 2006 - (260lbs to 236lbs) 23 lbs lost, 2007 - 21 LB GAIN (236 (AFTER HAVING BABY) - 257 ) 2008- (257 to 231) 25 lbs lost!), 2009 -(231 -?)
<>< Dear Sweet Jesus, I pray that I may walk by your side as you guide me down my path. Hold my hand, Dear Lord, and never let me stray. <><
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

I was wondering about freezing these muffins... I know they have to be refrigerated, but what if I made a huge batch to have on hand and froze them...has anyone done this?

Wendy
Old 10-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

ok, so maybe we arent a freezing muffin type of crowd

but here's something I would like to throw out to all of your creative cooking gals:
what about doing something that would resemble an oatmeal cookie....maybe with steel cut oats or something? would that even be possible? would I just toss in a handful into the pumpkin recipe? or maybe chop up some apples and add cinnamon?

Wendy
Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #194
Junior LCF Member

Wendy,

They've never lasted long enough around here to freeze, but I'm sure they would be good to freeze.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TryinSBDagain
Start Date: Sept. 22, 2008
Wendy, I think you could do an oatmeal cookie with steel-cut oats, almond flour instead of wheat, and stevia (a natural plant-based sweetener available at health/whole food stores and websites) or the non-sugar sweetener of your choice to sub for the sugars (you'll lose that lovely brown sugar taste, but otherwise it should taste fine). Just adjust the sweetener to your taste; with both stevia and Splenda, a little goes a long way. Also be prepared for a grainier cookie, as almond flour is really just blanched and ground up almonds. On the plus side, you're getting extra protein from the almond flour in exchange for the processed carbs you're leaving out.

Feel free to visit me at my blog: Low Carb Friends - On the Beach Again...
TryinSBDagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #196
Junior LCF Member

New here but I just have to post my raves at the recipes here. Well, it's time to go to the grocery and just experiment with some of the cookie recipes I found here. Have a fun and healthy one!
Your Health Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #197
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: roel88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana Susie View Post
I have made this with the white beans and the brown beans. Both turned out good. I am new to all of this. I am told this is a phase 1 recipe. I HOPE this is right.....it has been a saving grace for me!!
Basic Recipe:1 15oz. can of white or brown beans. Rinse and drain.
4 eggs (egg beaters work fine also).
1 cup of artificial sweetener ( I used Splenda).
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. oil
a splash of DaVinci SF syrup

Put all of the above in your processor and beat the heck out of it. The recipes says 5 minutes....I found a couple of minutes was plenty. The mixture will be real thin. It amazed me how it raised and baked. I thought it might not due to how thin the mixture was.....no problem. It raised great! Bake at 350* for 35-45 minutes. (35 worked for my oven). This is so quick and easy to make. It is fun trying different ways of making it.

Different ways I have made this:
Choc. peanut butter cake. I made this with the brown beans. I added 2 tsp. of cocoa, and a splash of vanilla DaVinci to the batter. After putting it in the pan to bake I took 2 tsp. of peanut butter and mixed a little DaVinci syrup in to thin it a little. Any flavor such as vanilla, marshmallow, or peanut butter flavor will do. I dropped drops of the PB mixture over the top of the cake and baked. YUMMY!!!!!! Good warm or cold!

Pumpkin Cinnamon cake: I made this in a bread pan. It is nice to have in the mornings I think. I call this a bread . I used the brown beans. To the batter I added 2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice and a splash of Spice syrup. After putting the batter in the pan, I sprinkled over the top a mixture of Splenda and cinnamon, along with a few toasted sliced almonds. YUMMY!!!!!

White cake: I have only made this once. You can add all kinds of DaVinci syrups. Cookie Dough, Peanut butter, Coconut,pineapple, French vanilla, Spice, etc.....I used the vanilla syrup and added some spices to the top of the cake aloong with a little peanut butter drops. . It turned out good also.
Just use your imagination and have fun!
We tried the pumpkin cinammon last Halloween party here and they loved it!The taste is quite strange though.
roel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RedPanda
WOE: Maintenance mode
Xylitol works too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Bean cakes rule! No flour, no sugar and very filling. What's not to like?

Here's one of my favourite recipes I adapted from another South Beach Board. It's great! It makes 8 chewy, fudgy, guilt-free brownies. They freeze well too.

CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

Makes 8

1 cup (200g/7 oz) dried black beans, soaked overnight (or 3 cups cooked black beans)
1 large egg
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup granular Splenda

If using dried black beans, cook in usual way. If using tinned black beans, drain and rinse well.

Preheat oven to 180ºC/355ºF. Prepare an 8 x 8" cake pan.

Mix ingredients together in food processor until pureed. Pour into cake pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until done. Cool in tin on wire rack, then cut into 8 portions.

Nutritional info per brownie
Cals: 155
Carbs: 19.9g
Protein: 8.6g
Fat: 5.2g
Just updating this thread to say that we have also tried the black bean brownies subbing Xylitol for the Splenda. Xylitol is a low-GI, natural, granulated sweetener. It leaves no aftertaste, unlike Splenda. I prefer it for most recipes, but sometimes baked goods don't turn out as well with Xylitol as they do with Splenda. I have no idea why.

Anyway, IMO Xylitol is a more natural product than Splenda and fits the South Beach philosophy better.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RedPanda
WOE: Maintenance mode
To the person who was worried about the applesauce

Just updating again...

I adapted my recipe (above) to reduce the calories and fat a little. If you're concerned about the applesauce, or don't have any, just substitute 4 large whole eggs for the applesauce, eggwhites and one whole egg, and increase the canola oil to 3 tablespoons. Of course, this will increase the calories and fat a bit.

Last edited by RedPanda; 12-09-2008 at 07:37 PM..
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/151.6/147--5'9"
WOE: Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse/Thrive
Start Date: May 2013
I have to say, I made the black bean brownies and they are funky! They're a little bit like sweet refried black beans. I need an additional snack, so they won't go to waste, but my husband and my 13 yo kind felt bad for me. My 5 yo ate 'em up, but she had been turned off by the fat around the meat in her pot roast, so I'm glad I had some good protein to follow up. I'm hoping my 9 yo doesn't get propagandized by his dad and brother, and eats his.
LinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #201
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: donna488
Made the bean brownies this evening. I do like them but I agree they are different in taste. NOT bad, just different. I dolloped 2 T of ff cool whip and it made a HUGE difference. More experimenting needed. i did eat 2 of them and so i can see where one could gobble them up and well, beans or no beans, a pan of ANYTHING is not good!

I wonder....what about ricotta cheese? I mean that works great in many other dessert recipes. If I come up with any successes I will surely post. I had the kids eat them and only 1 said they were gross. Guess what??? She was the ONLY one that knew it was beans!
The hubby tastes them tomorrow in his lunch and he has no idea. We'll see!

i am trying the pinto bean one tomorrow!
donna488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #202
Queen Bargain Shopper

Ladies; try this one that I posted with the great northern beans! You won't be sorry.

(1) 15oz. can of white beans. Rinse and drain.
4 eggs (egg beaters work fine also). I use 3
1 cup Splenda I cut splenda to 3/4 cup
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla I use two tsps
1 tsp. cinnamon OMIT

Add 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and a half of a cup of pumpkin.

OMG - if you like pumpkin and Fall , you will LOVE these!

Also - I can give you some variations if you want.......

I never liked the brownie one either; thought it was strange too.

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/151.6/147--5'9"
WOE: Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse/Thrive
Start Date: May 2013
Thanks, Cindy, I was going to try your recipes. I noticed there was another brownie one with a LOT of other ingredients, but I was going to try yours first.
Laurie
LinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #204
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suebrina
Stats: 178/172/150
WOE: South Beach - my own version
Start Date: July 2013
I'm new here and I've been admiring these recipes for days now. -wiping drool off the keyboard- I'm definately making this 'cake' muffin style for portion control. I think it will keep me motivated, but if I find it makes my longings worse, I'll hold off until I've reached my goal weight.
Has anyone tried the Davinci German Chocolate Cake SF syrup? I'm thinking that this recipe with a little unsweet cocoa, some chopped nuts, and that syrup sounds heavenly!
suebrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #205
Queen Bargain Shopper

Sue - I have NOT tried that syrup, but it sounds great!

I have made the same muffins but instead of pumpkin have thrown in a couple heaping T's of unsweetened cocoa! I bet adding the syrup would be quite tasty!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #206
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: donna488
Just curious if anyone out there had any "gas" issues from this bread? I have not but a friend that is new to SBD has. I am wondering if she will just adjust to the beans just as with any diet where you add beans all of a sudden???

For what it is worth:
I double the recipe and:
omit the applesauce and add 3 T ricotta or cottage cheese instead!
cut the Splenda to a little less than 1/3 a cup and found it sweet enough
I cut the eggs to 5

This makes it an ok P1 food. I could not succeed without it! I have been using SBD since the end od December and have lost about 15 pounds!
donna488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenwyn
Start Date: 2/2009
Has any one tried these recipes with bean flour instead of the beans? That's what I have on hand. I'm going to see if I can adapt the recipe.
Kenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

I just did a batch of the pumpkin muffins using Bob's Red Mill garbanzo and fava bean flour. Turned out great. I've been missing my muffins but no more!
I think I'll double the spice next time as I like them spicy. If you like a sweeter muffin just increase the Splenda to 3/4 c. This was thicker, more like a regular muffin batter.
Here's what I did:

3 eggs
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
2 T. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo and fava bean flour
1/2 c. Splenda
1/4 c. dried buttermilk (I didn't have any regular dried milk)
1½ tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda (made this change because of the buttermilk)
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Whisk all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, oil and vanilla.
With a wooden spoon stir the liquids into the dry ingredients until combined.
Scoop into muffin tins greased with PAM. Fill about 3/4 full.
Bake 350
I baked them for 25 minute but they could have come out sooner.

This made 10 muffins for me, but my muffin pans are on the small side
I have a similar regular muffin recipe that has chocolate chips. If you had some low carb chocolate chips you could stir in 1/2 c. of those after mixing the batter.
Here's a couple pics one showing my little muffin thief.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0456.jpg (86.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0458.jpg (66.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #209
Queen Bargain Shopper

Kenwyn -those sound great!

They do have dark chocolate chocolate chips. I use those when I bake......

I definitely have to get the flour and make these. The original recipe, although I really like it, can be a little spongey.......would really like a real muffin!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Kenwyn -those sound great!

They do have dark chocolate chocolate chips. I use those when I bake......

I definitely have to get the flour and make these. The original recipe, although I really like it, can be a little spongey.......would really like a real muffin!
Thanks
Where do I get the chocolate chips?

These are very much like regular muffins. I think I'm going to do a bit of tweaking on it - spicier for one thing, maybe add a bit more liquid or just bake less time for a slightly moister muffin. And I'm going to try some variations I think. I ate 2 today and froze the rest for the next few days.
Kenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote