Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MotherNaturals
Tips for Vegetarian South Beach Diet

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hi There~

On the gratious advice of rose1, I am here trying to learn more about the Vegetarian version of South Beach. I am not really sure what to search for and am here at the South Beach forum and am stuck.

To make a long story short, low carb has worked for me in the past and I lost 54 pounds and I am back to lose my baby weight...and more...but I no longer want to eat meat. rose1 said she uses a vegatarian form of the SB diet and so I know buying the book won't give me the info I need.

Any help would be great. I am really kind of frustrated. I tried to start on Atkins again today and the meat is making me sick and thinking about the pound of ground beef waiting for me in the fridge is making me want to toss my low carb cookies! ...I even had the trots earlier...not fun... <--- me rolling on the floor with the sweats and major cramps!

Peace~Vanessa
[/COLOR]
5/2/06:192 Sz. 18
5/17/06:NO CHEATS! Down to snug sz. 16! No binging!
5/29/06:MIL noticed I'd lost~feelin' great! NO CHEATS!
6/8/06:LOOSE 16 & NO cheats & Hubby can see a difference!
**I will weigh myself on 7/2/06**

Take the time to pull the weeds chiking flowers in your life~Jerry Cantrell
MotherNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: justmarvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNaturals
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hi There~

On the gratious advice of rose1, I am here trying to learn more about the Vegetarian version of South Beach. I am not really sure what to search for and am here at the South Beach forum and am stuck.

To make a long story short, low carb has worked for me in the past and I lost 54 pounds and I am back to lose my baby weight...and more...but I no longer want to eat meat. rose1 said she uses a vegatarian form of the SB diet and so I know buying the book won't give me the info I need.

Any help would be great. I am really kind of frustrated. I tried to start on Atkins again today and the meat is making me sick and thinking about the pound of ground beef waiting for me in the fridge is making me want to toss my low carb cookies! ...I even had the trots earlier...not fun... <--- me rolling on the floor with the sweats and major cramps!

Peace~Vanessa
[/COLOR]
Vanessa!

We're glad you're joining in with us. I'm not a vegetarian but we all eat veggies and if Emily and Barbara will help us along on some protein ideas, I'm sure we can all help find answers that will make all of us healthier for sure.

The Phase 1 Vegetarian Food List is posted in the Phase 1 Food List sticky above, we'll worth from there, okay? Hope you get to feeling better soon. Perhaps you could share some food choices?

How does this sound?

Spicy Chinese Peanut Sauce with Matchstick Veggies

Makes about 3/4 cup.
Description
This all-purpose sauce is terrific over julienned veggies or tossed with whole-wheat noddles in Phase 2. It's also a great dip for crudites, shrimp, or chicken kabobs. Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container, where they will keep for a week. If you like it spicy, stir in a teaspoon of hot sauce.

Ingredients
1/4 cup unsweetened natural peanut butter (trans fat-free chunky or creamy)
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
2 teaspoons Splenda or sugar substitute

Instructions
In blender or food processor fitted with metal blade, process all ingredients 1 minute, or until the consistency of heavy cream. (Add a little hot water if too thick.)

For matchstick vegetables, to serve 2 people: Using vegetable peeler, peel long strips from 1 carrot. Peel, halve lengthwise, seed, and thinly slice 1/2 of a cucumber. Thinly slice a handful of snow peas (no need to cook), thinly slice 1/2 of an endive head. Throw in a handful of sprouts or snow peas shoots. Mound veggies on a serving platter; drizzle with 2 tablespoons peanut sauce.

Nutritional Information:
148 calories
12 total fat (2 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
7 g carbohydrate
4 g protein
1 g fiber
590 mg sodium
justmarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vegetarian Phase 1 Food List, scroll down to Post # 8
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Hi Vanessa! to our friendly little board!

It's after 11:00 here, so I'm headed to bed pretty quick, but here's a couple of quickies!

The SB book is still very useful, so you might want to buy it, or better yet, get it free from the local library if they have a copy! It is really good for the basics on how the plan works, etc. Although if you pick the brains of the ladies on this forum enough, you could probably get by just fine without the book!

Definitely, if you don't like meat, don't eat it! The only reason we don't eat meat is because we don't like it, it's not a religious thing or anything like that.
We eat lots of eggs and cheese, and I think you mentioned on the main forum that you still like those? We eat a lot of Gardenburgers and their other products, Boca burgers, and the Morningstar Farms veggie meat substitutes - especially the veggie bacon and sausages. Cottage cheese and yogurt are both good for when you need something to eat, but you don't feel like making anything right now! Tofu is good, and since it has basically no flavor of it's own, you can do almost anything with it. I even baked it in low carb BBQ sauce the other night for a football snack. Beans are also good, but you do have to be a bit careful with the carbs in them.

Mom and I will work on some other of our favorite ideas, and I'll try to get them up tomorrow for you. I know there are several other vegetarians on here, so hopefully they'll chime in with their ideas too! One thing to bear in mind is that we seem to lose weight a tiny bit slower than those eating meat, probably because the carb counts are naturally a tiny bit higher in all the veggies, and the alternate proteins like the veggie burgers. It's still coming off and staying off though, so that's what counts!

Hugs,
Emily

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Thanks Guys, I was excited to get up and check to see if anyone had seen my thread. I will buy the book on ebay, used so I can save a few bucks but I guess I am someone who likes to have a reference at my disposal. I actually bought the book new when it came out...I think I sold it on ebay myself...I don't even think I read the entire thing

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support here. I am glad to find others who do not eat meat. I really just don't like it anymore. I have wanted to become vegetarian or vegan for some time and things are looking up in that department since I really just can't stomach meat anymore. For me, also, there is a bit of sadness when you really stop and look into the facts of the factory farming industry...the cruelty and the mass slaughter. But, in the past, I still end up eating meat eventually. Not because I am ignorant to the abuse, antibiotics and cruelty or poor living conditions but out of my selfish convenience or lack of having the balls (figuratively, of course) to stand up to someone if I am eating at their house and they order pepperoni pizza or serve BBQ chicken for dinner.

For me, also, I have done a ton or reading on people who get food poisoning. You certainly cannot get mad cow desease if you don't eat cow. I read about the whole obesity issue in our country and that 200 years ago or more, people ate to fuel their "furnace" if you can look at it like that. And now with the commercials for ice cream, cookies, fast and other convenience foods and things like Chex mix for kids laden with sugar and white flour...it is obvious that we as a country have moved to a place where eating is more for fun than for function. I know I eat for emotional reasons sometimes. I know I am addicted to carbs and sugar and especially chocolate :blush: and want to change that.

I am hoping to learn enough about healthy eating habits that I can translate it into a life time of good clean living. I am 30, weigh 179 pounds and have high blood pressure. I do not want to be on meds for the rest of my life. My mother has type II diabetes. My father and paternal grandfather died of heart attacks. My mother has high cholesterol. I want to learn here how to lose the 55 pounds I am carrying around that is in access of a healthy weight for me, get support and once educated, give support to anyone else who needs it.

I really appreciate everyone's help and look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Peace~Vanessa
[/COLOR]
Old 09-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

After reading your Journal and posts Vanessa, I saw I had gone wrong on posting a peanut recipe for you.

I think you can find discipline in your food plan on SBD and be happy. on ordering the book! I did some searching on being a vegetarian last night after your post and there's tons of info and recipe sites out there, after you learn the food list, you will see which ones to keep and which to toss. There's even some low carb ones, looks like we'll all learn something since SBD is really big on veggies.

Again, we're glad you're here, this is a super group!

And I might add, welcome to all the SBD vegetarians, I'm excited about incorporating the plan here in the forum! It's going to give all us more knowledge on other food options, yah, thanks guys!

Marva
Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SiameseCat
Stats: 256/256/135
WOE: Vegetarian South Beach
Start Date: 9/12/05
Hi Vanessa, welcome!

My name is Deb and both hubby and I are longtime vegetarians and we're new to SB (we're in week 1 of phase 1). I don't have time to post much tonight but I'll try to post some ideas for you in the next day or so. I'm glad you're here!

Deb
SiameseCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Thanks guys~

I have my book on the way but think I will start on Monday once I gather a little more info. I have some basic questions as well...

Marva, I printed out the Phase 1 foods list and really appreciate that link!

1. Is there any food combining...i.e eating only proteins with fat and vaggies and no fat with carbs? Or can you make a meal out of any combination of foods on the list.

2. What are the portions of veggies you can eat? I have the list with 1/3-1/2 cup beinga serving of beans...so is three bean salad out since I would eat about 1.5 cups as a serving or is it good because it has a ton of fiber? **I am coming at this with Atkins mentality , I apologize...subtracting the fiber...**

4. No carb counting right?

I feel really fat today. I talked with my hubby last night about my frustrations with my weight and about the diets I have been trying lately in search of the right way of eating. It is funny how we change over time. Five years ago, Atkins was perfect for me. Now, I can't stomach the meat. I also tried Somersizing...again, a lot of meat. He just wants me to be happy with me as he is :blush:

I am going to start Monday. I am meeting my mom in New York for lunch and shopping with my son on Sunday and we are going to Olive Garden. I will also get my Starbuck's Mocha Frappucciono on the way home...one last junk fest! I will stop on the way home and get my foods for the week. we are visiting my brother and sister in law next Saturday in New Hampshire and I feel comfortable eating my SB foods with them and I am sure something they cook will be something I can eat. I can keep bumping it up but I won't...you know, you think, well, I have a birthday party this night of this week and my anniversary is the next week and this week we are traveling...so I should wait until after all of that to start my new way of eating. And then months and months go by and you are still fat and unhappy and making excuses and realize that if you had started you new way of eating, that even if you had eating a wrong meal on each of those four separate occasions, you would still be well on your way with your weight loss...since 95% of the time you are eating right. So, even if I slip up at my inlaws house, I will have eaten well all week and will be able to eat both a healthy breakfast and lunch that day...so one meal, is one meal...I come home and get back on track for another South Beach week...and then by summer, I will be wearing an adorable handmade apron top and some cute skirt that shows off my legs...and feel radiant and beautiful and healthy~

Peace~Vanessa
[/COLOR]
Old 09-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #9

We really don't get into food combining that much, although others might We often do eat a protein with a carb though - like if we eat an apple, we usually have some cheese or PB with it. Same thing with bread - we might eat one piece of bread with pimento cheese (homemade, and so good ) on it.

As far as portions go, we don't make a big deal of it, except on foods that could get us in trouble. Basically, there isn't much of a problem with veggies, unless you're having one of the slightly more high-carb ones. For instance, you could eat celery, radishes, and cucumbers all day and never miss a beat!
With the bean salad, 1.5 cups is probably a bit much I understand though, I LOVE bean salad! We make one with just red beans, then pickles, celery, onion, and a bit of mayo. We figured that if we eat 3/4 of a cup, we end up with about 1/2 cup of beans, because we put so much of the other stuff in. If it's going to be a danger spot for you to eat too much of it though, it might be better to stay away from it for awhile.

Basically, if you eat sensibly, with good foods, you should be all right. One of the great things about this plan is the flexiblity. If you notice that the recommended amount of something seems to make you stall, you can cut it back, and add in something that doesn't bother you! I love being able to eat fairly normally, just very light on the grains and heavy on the veggies and protein! You might want to check in on the menu thread on this board as well, just to get some ideas of what other people are eating.

AMEN to your overall view of the plan!!! I second the actually showing my legs! I wore shorts a grand total of twice this summer, during a weekend when I was outside in the 90+ degree weather working the library's end-of-summer-reading carnival... Next summer, shorts here I come!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Hi Vanessa,

I'm not sure where you are located and I know finding vegetarian friendly foods is easier in some areas than others. I am lucky in that our local grocery chains carry a lot of the vegetarian options now so I don't have to go to speciality stores too often. Here Safeway and King Soopers carry a lot of the meat replacement items I use.

Here are a few vegetarian SB recipes I've found that I've tried recently:

Aggieland Vegetables Recipe - All Phases
Aggieland Zucchini - South Beach Diet Recipe (Phase 1)
5 or 6 med. zucchini, sliced
1 med. onion, diced
2 or 3 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. black pepper
8 oz. Mozzarella cheese, grated
Lightly cook zucchini in large skillet (dry no oil) on medium heat. Add onion and brown lightly. Add tomatoes, garlic, pepper. Simmer 10 minutes on low heat with lid on pan. Pour into large baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Top with cheese and bake 10 minutes more. Serve hot from oven.

Got this from:
http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com...d_zucchini.html
1 Tablespoon chopped Fresh Basil
1 clove garlic crushed (I used minced and 1 teaspoon)
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans
1 zucchini, halved and sliced
1/2 cup sliced portabello mushrooms
1 red onion, chunked
1 red pepper sliced
1-2 plum tomatoes chopped
Directions:
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in all the spices, add the garbanzo beans and zucchini. Stir well to coat veggies with the spices. Cook covered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Place the chopped tomato on top of the mixture. Cover and let the tomatoes steam fora few minutes, but don't let them get mushy. Serve immediately.
1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 t crushed garlic
1/4 t dried oregano
1/8 t ground black pepper
2 T finely chopped black olives
2 T finely chopped parsley

1. Place first 6 ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Add a few teaspoons of water if the mixture seems too thick.
2. Spread the bean mixture on a shallow dish. Combine the olives and parsley in a small bowl, toss well to mix, and sprinkle over the bean dip. Serve with whole grain pita ( phase 2 only) , leaves of belgian endive, celery sticks, or veggies of your choice if on phase 1.
I also just improvise with what I have a lot like when I made the garbanzo bean stir fry I added tofu to it. Depending on what I'm in the mood for sometimes I'll just saute some mushrooms, onion and garlic and melt some cheese on it or today I sauteed some vegetarian ham slices with a little garlic, onion and green pepper and melted cheese on the top.

For breakfast I usually scramble some egg w/reduced fat cheese and sometimes I add a little salsa for some zip. With that I have vegetarian bacon or vegetarian sausage links or vegetarian sausage patties.

Here are some links to some of the meat replacements and other vegetarian items you can buy that are more likely to be carried at a regular grocery store since they are made by larger companies.

http://www.bocaburger.com/main.aspx?s=&m=index

http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/msfarms/

http://www.lightlife.com/

http://www.yvesveggie.com/splash.php

Feel free to post questions or to PM me if you are needing info on veggie products that you're unfamiliar with.

Deb

Last edited by SiameseCat; 09-15-2005 at 03:44 PM..
Old 09-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Yes, we are lucky enough to have several Morningstar Farms and Boca product at our Hannaford...several dollars less than at the Food Co-op, I must add~for the SAME things! Also, we go to BJ's WHolesale club where they sell restaraunt sized bulk boxes of the MSF Garden Veggie Patties which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Thanks to everyone for their time and suggestions/support. I am starting to learn a lot about myself as far as what I can allow myself to eat and what I can't...in general...not on SBD. Like, I cannot eat even one corn chip. If I eat one, I eat 10. Same with chocolate or anything like that. Then I get very frustrated and mad at myself WHILE I am still eating this stuff. And if I blow it in a given day, I continue to blow it for the rest of the day...big time!

I can't wait for my book because I love to have something to reference but I appreciate all of this great info I am getting from everyone! I am ging to think of some things I want to make and get the foods allowed on Phase 1 and start cooking.

I will check in again a few times if I have any questions before I get going on this and then daily to add to the menu threads on this board. I think I am getting myself confused because I have tried so many different things out of desparation this past two or three months. Some food combine, some don't, some count something...fiber, carbs, points, some don't...some use full fat things, others use no fat thigns, some require only fruits and nits and veggies, some require no fruits or nuts and minimal veggies. I really need to purge my brain of all of the miscellaneous stuff. I am getting confused and ned to just start from scratch here.

Let me pass this by and see if I get it.

Breakfast:
2 eggs
2 veggie sausage patties
1 slice cheese or soy cheese

Snack:
14 almonds

Lunch:
Huge salad with cukes, tomatoes, sprouts, kidney beans, 1 Tbs sunflower seeds
2 Tbs. homemeade vinegar/olve oil dressing
veggie patty

Snack:
Carrot Sticks
Celery Sticks
Phase 1 Dip
Part-Skim String Cheese Stick

Supper:
Chicken Stir Fry
Salad with homemade dressing

Dessert:
SF Jell-O
Cool Whip
five or six SF candies

Peace~vanessa and THANKS AGAIN!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Hi Vanessa,

I'm new to this too so I'll give you my opinion but hopefully someone that's been doing this longer will give their input too.

Here's my 2 cents : If you're on phase 1 you can't have carrots so I'd leave the carrot off of your snack. Also for breakfast you're listing 2 vegetarian sausage patties but the maximum serving per day listed on the allowed food list for the patties is 1 patty, so I'd remove one of those. You list cheese for breakfast but it doesn't say whether it's reduced fat type cheese and you should only be consuming reduced fat cheese. For dessert you list cool whip - is that sugar free coolwhip?

Refer to the list of foods allowed that's sticky above for what's allowed on phase 1. JustMarvi posted the vegetarian version there in the thread somewhere.

Deb
Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #13

Looks good on the whole Vanessa! The carrots aren't really allowed on Phase 1 of South Beach, but it has long been my opinion that if a carrot now and then makes you happy and doesn't seem to bother your weight loss, it's not going to hurt to have one! Probably shouldn't make it a daily thing though...

The dessert also looks iffy. The SF Jello with the Cool Whip should be fine. 5 or 6 candies seems like a bit much to me; I usually never eat more than 2 at a time. I think both together is definitely too much at a time, but I guess it depends on how your body reacts to it.

Anyway, it looks like you're well on the way! We've always eaten two of the veggie sausage links/patties, so I don't see a problem there.

Keep it up! This WOE really does work, just not overnight the way I think it should!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Hi Guys~

Again, thanks. I wasn't sure on the carrots, I can't find page two of the list I printed out...grrr. I will print out another one. My hubby went shopping tonight while I was at work and got me everything I wanted. All of my veggie items, crystal light, salad stuff etc...

About the sausage patties. The veggie sausage patties are about the size of a silver dollar...is one still a serving. I am not sure if other brands of veggie sausage may be larger but a silver dollar sized veggie sausage doesn't seem like a serving and the box I think says two is a serving...but I am willing to follow the rules.

I mentioned the cheese because I am still stuck in Atkin's mode. I am anxious for my book to get here...I know I will figure things out with everyone's help.

I have been binging and know it. I talked with my hubby about it and he just wants me to be happy and I am obviously not. We both work at a residential treatment program for males and there is an abundance of food, chocolate, cookies, ice cream, just junk. And I usually do well but for the past two weeks have really sucked out, have been eating when not even hungry with the, "I am dieting soon so I need to eat what I can of these sweet goodies now." I have come to realize something though. I am no longer looking to lose weight for vanity. I am looking to lose weight for my health. 179 is too much for me to weigh. I once weighed 111! 111! Seriously! 118-124 was the perfect weight for me where I was thin but not sickly. I have a medium build and am 5'4" tall. I think of it that way and realize I had gained 83 pounds...I was up fto 194. 83 pounds, some people weigh 83 pouds! It makes me very frustrated that I have gained so much. I know, in part, I have eated in relation to the particular situation I was in or have gained and kept on weight due to particular meds I was on. I want to be at a healthy weight and enjoy life, exercise all the time, play softball again next summer, swim (meaning wear a swimsuit while I am at it not a HUGE T-shirt and shorts!)

Being 30 I realize that I need to do this all sooner than later. When I was talking to my hubby today he was saying that I should keep something with me at all times, a poem or something to look at or read when I feel like eating something I shouldn't and to make a sign for the fridge door that says, "You might WANT to eat this but how will you FEEL about it later?" He is such a great support for me. He truly loves me for who I am and does nothing but say how attractive he finds me and I really appreciate that. I think it helps me but also he is willing to support me and if I tell him not to let me have the M&Ms, no matter what, he is able to keep his end of the bargain, even if I get all pissed off about it. He will even hide the goodies so I don't see them because that is when I have issues, when I see something...I then want to have some, especially chocolate! I want him to be able to enjoy what he likes, even while I am losing the weight.

I am going to also reward myself in several ways. I get motivated when I have a chart that I can put stickers on (sounds lame, I know) and I can see how many days in a row I have done well with my eating. We do this with guys at work for their chores or hygiene or treatment work. I will make a nice chart and hang it up in plain sight and get some fun stickers. Each night I will give myself a sticker if I deserve it. After 10 stickers I will do something nice for myself...buy a book I want, buy a new bra, something cool.

I am not looking forward to weighing myself in the morning. I feel huge and I am probably over 180 by the way I have been eating. I am someone who gets fat in that section below my boobs first. Especially now that I have been stretched out by pregnancy and my HUGE 6 inch cesarean scar...

I guess I am confused about the portions. I will read the book thoroughly when it comes but I feel confused right now. So, am I only allowed one veggie burger/sausage per day? So, if I have a sausage for breakfast I cannot have a veggie burger for lunch or supper? They are low fat and 90 calories so I am just wondering about that. I didn't realize SBD was so restrictive if this is the case. I am still going to do it but I don't eat much if any meat but it seems like if I ate meat I would be able to have more than one serving per day.? I am glad you pointed this out SiameseCat. SO, is it basically unlimited allowable veggies, 2 Tbs of dressing per day, one veggie patty or sausage, 3 Tbs. sunflower seeds, decaf tea with FF half and half...is that a sensible day...I get so frustrated without the book to reference back to...grrr, and I paid for fricking media mail so it will probably be 10 days before it gets here!

Peace~Vanessa

Last edited by MotherNaturals; 09-16-2005 at 08:56 PM..
Old 09-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #15

Hi, Vanessa

Emily's mom here. I can see that you are frustrated and confused. South Beach is really not that restrictive. You're right, a serving of the sausage is two patties, so you certainly may have two sausage patties if you want them. I don't see that as an unreasonable portion. Now, four patties might be overdoing it. You may have sausage patties and veggie burgers in the same day. We often do. I have to tell you that we eat regular cheese, not ff, because we think ff tastes like a pencil eraser (a used one, according to Emily! ). Sometimes we use low-fat ricotta and sometimes full fat, depending on the recipe. Sometimes the texture is better with the full fat, as in cheesecake type dishes and sometimes it doesn't matter, as in a veggie lasagna. We use real half and half when we need it for a recipe. We use skim milk most of the time. When Emily makes her scrumptious soup, a carrot goes in! Sometimes if we go into a stall, we take a look at things and adjust a little.
One thing to be aware of is your weight loss might very well be a little slower if you do a vegetarian version of SB, because there will naturally be more carbs. However, the weight will come off. You might need to experiment a little to see which of your food choices work best for you. I agree with Emily's answer to your menu post. I think you are off to a fine start.

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Emily here: I definitely get where you are coming from with the junk at work! Mom and I both work at the local library, and so often someone comes in with just plain junk. One of my big problems is that I want my cake and to be thin too! I'm also 5'4", and headed for a goal weight of 120. I'm still a ways off, but I'm steadily losing about 1 pound a week, so I'll get there eventually! I am a ballet dancer and I compete as a soloist and with my dance studio's Senior dance team. My dancing is my life, and when my weight got to the point where it interfered with how well I could dance, well, it was time to do something!

I'm with you on the summer clothes - I would love to be happy with my legs while I'm in a swimsuit! As a matter of fact, I think I'll add that to my list of goals... I don't think the little chart and stickers is a stupid idea either, and the rewarding yourself definitely isn't! The goal I'm working towards now is a pair of size 6 jeans by October 17th, which I'm 99% sure I can make. So, I'll get the reward of having a great new pair of jeans, plus the terrific reward of seeing my first Neil Diamond concert while wearing them!

Something to keep you inspired is also a wonderful idea. to your husband on that one! For me, it's wanting to win a higher award at competition so badly that I can almost reach out and grab it! Whenever I need to, I can ask myself how badly do I really want to hear them call "Gold" for my solo routine instead of "Hi Silver," and is it worth this _____ to not get that Gold medal?

We're serious chocoholics as well, so we can fix you up with some great "legal" chocolate dessert recipes! Just don't get discouraged! It sounds like we've got a fair amount in common with our goals, so don't be afraid to hop on here and ask for support, or ask a question! [/COLOR]

Last edited by rose1; 09-16-2005 at 10:31 PM..
Old 09-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Hey thanks you two! :-) It is almost 1 am here but I am going to start this in the Morning. I was going to wait until Monday but really, what's the point of waiting?

Peace~Vanessa
Old 09-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #17

Exactly! Don't forget to drink your water as well... As a matter of fact, why don't you come join us on the water challenge thread tommorow?

BTW, I love your avatar - such a cutie!

Hugs,
Emily
Old 09-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Vanessa, things will come together, you're just trying to learn two things at once, vegetarian and SBD food guidelines. I'm thinking the vegetarian part will just take time and some people who learn toward vegetarianism still have an occasional meal of chicken or protein of choice ever so often as I'm reading. Seems it's more on the understanding of why one does it rather than just how.

The Veggie SBDers have given some good help for you. Please don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed. SBD isn't restrictive, it's eat until satisfied from the given list of foods. Nothing is limited unless specified.

Your menu looks outstanding!

Here's the list again for freshing the counts on the meat subs, cheese and eggs......

MEAT SUBSTITUTES (SOY BASED)
Unless otherwise stated, look for products that have 6 grams of fat or less per 2-3 ounce serving

Bacon - Limit to 2 slices per day
Burger
Chicken, unbreaded
Hot Dogs
Sausage Patties and Links - Limit 1 patty or 2 links per day
Seiten
Soy Crumbles - 1/4 cup (2 oz) suggested serving
Soy Nuts - 1/4 cup for a protein snack is suggested serving
Tempeh 1/4 cup suggested serving
Tofu All varieties, 1/2 cup suggested serving
Yuba (Bean Curd or Sheet)

CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR LOW-FAT)
Look for varieties that have 6 grams of fat or less/ounce

American
Cheddar
Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
Cream cheese substitute, dairy-free
Feta
Mozzarella
Parmesan, 1 oz, limited
Parmesan/Romano, grated, 1 tblsp.
Part-skim Ricotta
Part-skim String
Provolone

EGGS

The use of whole eggs is not limited unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Use egg whites and egg substitute as desired.

As you can see, there are no limits on these.....
Burger
Chicken, unbreaded
Hot Dogs

and I know you'll find other things.

Also, we have 75 sweet treat calories from which we can use to eat cool whip, etc., if we want to, it's there if you chose to eat those things withing that calorie range.

Quote:
1. Is there any food combining...i.e eating only proteins with fat and vaggies and no fat with carbs? Or can you make a meal out of any combination of foods on the list.

2. What are the portions of veggies you can eat? I have the list with 1/3-1/2 cup beinga serving of beans...so is three bean salad out since I would eat about 1.5 cups as a serving or is it good because it has a ton of fiber? **I am coming at this with Atkins mentality , I apologize...subtracting the fiber...**

4. No carb counting right?
No, there's no food combining, so you can forget Somersizing, etc., just eat from the list until satisfied. No counting carbs either!

You can eat all the veggies from the list you want......

Beans are considered a veggie but they also have lots of carbs so you are right in beginning with small servings- 1/3-1/2 cup. You can make a 3 bean salad with green beans, wax beans, etc and not add the starchy ones and eat all you want of it.

I like the idea of your rewards, we need those so here's to you! You're going to do fine, it just takes all of us a while but it will work.

We're all learning together!

Have a good weekend and we're here for support!

Marva
Old 09-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Ladies~

I took the plunge and started SBD today! I weighed in at 176.5 which is several pounds less than where I expected to be so that was a nice surprise. I ate scrambled eggs and a cup of decaf tea with FF half and half (2 Tbs.) and artificial sweetener. I am going to try to drink a lot of water today as well. My goal for weighing in is to hold off until next Saturday. If I am struggling with that, I will have my hubby hide the scale until next week!

Have a great day ladies and thanks for all of your great info and wisdom!

Peace~Vanessa

Old 09-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck Vanessa!
Old 09-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Hi Vanessa,

I'm new to this too so I'm learning with you. I tend to be a by the book kind of person and take things pretty literally so I have been following the list of allowed foods to the letter. I am happy to hear having 2 vegetarian sausage patties a day is not a problem.

Congrats on your starting SB, we're all here to support you and cheer you on!

Deb
Old 09-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deb, both of you are doing good!

By the book.....

Sausage Patties and Links - Limit 1 patty or 2 links per day
Old 09-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Today went well! I enjoyed my new way of eating and think I will settle in nicely. Deb, I hope you are doing well with it too! I can't wait for my book to get here. I hear you about doing things to the letter but I think something I learned while trying to do the Raw and Living Foods Diet was that I don't want to think even more about food than I already do. So, once I know the guidelines I go from there but try not to be too obsessive...I am a really obsessive person in general. It works better for me to read the whole book, make notes and even make a little list to print out and put on the fridge of the basic dos and don'ts or can and can't haves and just go with the flow, using the book as a reference when I need it.

I'm not going to stress too much if I decide to have two veggie sausages on some mornings. They are the size of a silver dollar, not like a real sausage patty and the box says two is a serving.

I could have don't better with the water today. I did drink a fair amount but I am not patting myself on the back either. I did pee a ton though which was a change.

I hope everyone is doing well and feel good today. I watched the Biggest Loser on tv tonight and I kind of was thinking about doing this anyway but it reinforced it when I saw it on the show. Each person had a "Goal" outfit they wanted to fit into after losing their weight. I have a pair of jeans I would love to fit into. You want to know something really interesting. In high school I was a size 7 and had a 28.5 inch waist. I have a pair of size 2 Gap jeans that I got in a bunch of clothes I bought wholesale to sell on ebay and the waist on those size 2's is 28 inches. So, in the past 13 years, what was a size 7 is now a size 2. Interesting. But anyway, I want to use those as a goal but I don't want to be that small, but I really love the STYLE of the jeans...I will have to work on this one... I have a pair of cords from before I got pregnant and a pair of Carhartts too...those will be my first goal I guess.

Lame as it sounds. My annual exam is in about a month and I want to weigh what I weighed when I got pregnant when I go back since the last time I was there was for my six week check up after my C-section. Might I add that I had a really rough pregnancy with no exercise allowed for the second half of it (I couldn't even walk aroud the BLOCK~I mean COME ON!) and I also had preeclampsia and weighed 216 at my last check up before I had my baby. DAMN! I would feel a sense of accomplishment if I was back to "me" when I go. I have 8.5 pounds to lose before then. I was 168 at my first appointment.

Ok, well, I feel good about my eating today. And I got both sugar free candies and sugar free bubble gum. I had about 60 calories of the candies today. Each candy is 10 calories~not too shabby! I got the Baskin Robbins Mint Chocolate flavorsed onces and the Fruit Sorbet flavored ones and then I got SF Double Bubble which always reminds me of Halloween and I knew I would miss it this year so I got some taht was legal, only 7 calories! Also, it is SO SOFT and yummy compared to the "real" kind that makes your jaw tired just getting it "started!" :-) I made SF Jell-O for tomorrow and got another box that is mixed berry! YUM! :-)

Well, I am babbling and it is getting late! I think I will go climb in bed with my hubby and ready some more of N is for Noose by Sue Grafton! I LOVE her! Anyone out there who is reading this that likes detective books, especially ones with a female main character, give her a try! You'll LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Peace~Vanessa
Old 09-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #24

Great Vanessa! Sounds like you're off to a terrific start! You're exactly right - just go with the flow, and when you get one of those "Uhh...." moments, you go find what on earth you did with the book!

The water will come. My basic minimum water need is about 88 ounces, and I used to have to fight it down every day. Now it's pretty easy, and my body starts asking me just exactly WHERE is my water if I don't drink it! Which come to think of it, I need to go get some more water...

I love those Baskin Robbins candies! The Butter Toffee ones are outrageously good. I was just thinking about Halloween today. It's never been a big deal for us, but I do like the candy! Strangely enough, my favorite Halloween candy is the cheap stuff that you only eat then - the candy corn, and the little candy pumpkins, and those really terrible peanut butter chewy things that come in a HUGE bag; some in black wrappers, and some in orange... When are are they going to LC or SF that stuff???
Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

OH MY YES! Peanut Butter Kisses they call those things! Huh. I had forgotten about those!

I am enjoying eating like this and even did wel while shopping with my mom in New York. I brought one salad and then bought another one because I was there longer than I thought. I did make a boo boo and have a few bites of my son's oatmeal before going, and...I think it was just a brain fart, and it wasn't much but still~DUH! Otherwise, lots of salad and Jell-O I really need to work on my water/fluid intake, BIG TIME!

I found the perfect calendar to use as my sticker chart! I am going to get some nicer stickers but right now I have glittery stars and smiley faces and a few fuzzy little flowers. I am starting dance classes on Wednesday night too! We'll see how that does!

I hope everyone is doing well! Thanks for the support.

rose1~ can you giove mt an example of your typical day when on Phase 1. I have been eating a ton of salad and veggies but have been kind of hungry in taht naggin kind of way that makes me get up and walk around kitchen looking for something to eat... no rush but I really appreciate it!

Peace~vanessa
Old 09-20-2005, 07:57 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

[COLOR=Magenta]I've already lost 1.5 pounds! :-) YIPPY! :-)[/COLOR]
Old 09-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Anyone have salad all the time and do something different to it or in it to make it a nice change?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Hi Vanessa,

I have been meaning to ask - you posted in this thread about lots of pregnancy problems. Do you mind sharing more on that? I had major complications with my pregnancy and got really sick so they ended up taking my little boy Jacob by emergency c-section at 28 weeks gestation. He weighed 1 pound, 10 ounces at birth. It took me so long to get my body to feeling better after all of that and I'm sure the inactivity didn't help me any as far as my weight went. It's OK if you'd rather not talk about it - just read your post and realized we have something in common besides SB and eating vegetarian.

Deb

Last edited by SiameseCat; 09-20-2005 at 03:44 PM..
Old 09-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Vanessa,

I love your little ticker - how cute is that!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Hi Deb.

No, I don't mind talking about my pregnancy. Well, in the begining things went perfectly. We charted for a few months...maybe six, before official "trying" and were able to get pregnant a month after. unfortunately, my father passed away two days before my last period started so I was going through a lot emotinally as well. I was extremely happy when we found out I was pregnant, 12/17...and we put the test in a bracelet box and wrapped it up and gave it to my mother-in-law, it was cute. Anyway, I can't remember exactly how many weeks along I was when the nausea kicked in but it was BAD! I was sick 24 hours a day for about 6 weeks (it seemed like about 60 weeks!). I missed work a few times...and this was a really lame job. After the nausea passed, the migraines started up, several times a week for about a month or so. It was about then that my OBGYN abruptly left the practice. Luckily, I was transfered to an amazing OB who is a high risk pregnancy dr and coincidentally delivered my brother-in-law 24 years ago. He was great. he was also much more intrusive and asked more questions and really assessed my overall condition where the first OB, who was a BIT*H, did not. Itook the routine blood tests at 18 weeks and drank the sick orange sugar drink to be tested for gestational diabetes. The test was borderline so I had to go back for a four hour test...again, not doing that great. At the same time, the preeclampsia began and it was questioned if I would make it full-term. I was told we might have to deliver early and not to bother signing up for borthing classes. I was set up with biweekly visits with the OBGYN and weekly non-stress tests at the Birthing Center of the Hospital where I was hooked up to monitors to read the babies movement and heartrate. This lasted about 2 1/2 months or so...it really all blends together after a while, I should have written it all down. I was told I would be in bed during my entire labor. I was not permitted to evenn do so much as walk around the block. I stopped working and basically just waited for the baby to come. At 36 weeks I was greatful to be almost full-term...then when my due date arrived I was well over 200 pounds and just emotionally done being pregnant. After weeks of being checked on Mondays and Thursdays, it was obvious, Angelo intended to stay put forever. I even threatened to call Sears and have them install a window in my belly so the poor boy could at least have a room with a view. And finally when I was 1 1/2 weeks overdue, I lost my HUGE plug and thought...ok, it won't be long now! I was checked the next day and still NOTHING! The ladies at the birthing center were a bit more sympathetic, having seen me every week for months now...the two nurses stripeed my membranes in an attempt to start labor (which I found out later was not cool...as they came to see me after the baby was born and asked that I not mention it to anyone...) Anyway, I had contractions...very minimal, for a few days and the on Monday at 6:00 I finally needed to call my hubby to come be with me. The contractions were decent but nothing that would drop me to my knees at that point...just nagging and making it so we couldn't really get much sleep. Tuesday came and they stopped for a few hours but then started up again, getting to five minutes apart. We thought we were in business at that point but they just didn't hurt as badly as everyone seemed to make it out to hurt...so I called a friend who worked in the birthing unit, I called the birthing unit itself...I finally couldn't take it anymore at about 3:00 Wednesday morning so I bathed and we left for the hospital. At 6:30am , my OB broke my water on his way to surgery. I walked and used the ball and made it all the way to 3-4 c. I was almost 5c when I couldn't dela with it anymore...maybe around 3pm. And it was then that they gave me Nubane (Also, informing me they do not give epidurals there). the Nubane name it so I could nap in between contractions until they deicded, about an hour later, to give me Pitocin. I used to heated labor tub for about an hour and had some MAJOR HOLY CRAP contractions...when I was checked at 5:00, I was still 4 c. The OB requested they max out the Pitocin, something I wish I hdan't overheard. And at about 7:50, the baby's heartrate dropped off the monitor and the nurses were unable to find it again for a while and it was not as strong as it should have been. Angelo was born by emergency c-section at 8:18 pm. It just really sucked, you know? I have friends who go through it with some nausea only and it just really is smooth and they are so happy and glowing and bouncing around and then boom, their water breaks and seven hour later they are holding a baby...and two weeks after that theya re in their old jeans again! NOT ME! I was 168 when I got pregnant and got up to 216. Oh, and breastfeeding was another fiasco that my post-pardom self really couldn't handle very well! I guess the one upside, besdies ending up with this amazing little guy we love to pieces is that I wasn't botchy when I was pregnany and my poor friend Nate, his wife is really emotional when she is pregnant, every little thing really gets to her. And I know a lot of people are litke that, but thankfully, I wasn't...and with all of my problems, you would have thought I would be a bit cranky!

Hey, please share your story Deb, I love stuff like this and I enjoyed telling my story! I have to get my son ready so I can get to my first line dancing class! HOLY COW! :-)

Peace~Vanessa