Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: justmarvi
Food List Update Info....

I hope this food list update info will help you buying the original book...easy to print off and add to your book?

SBD food list updates....

March 22, 2004

Milk
Old Version:
Avoid all dairy in Phase 1, except for less than 2 tablespoons fat-free 1/2 and 1/2, nonfat milk, 1 percent milk, or soy milk allowed with coffee.

New Version:
Phase 1:
Now includes 1 percent or fat-free milk, low-fat plain soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per serving), 1 percent or fat-free buttermilk, and fat-free plain yogurt on the Phase 1 "foods to enjoy" list. Limit dairy to 2 servings a day. Note: Feel free to flavor your fat-free plain yogurt like a ricotta creme.

Phase 2:
May introduce artificially sweetened nonfat flavored yogurt, but limit this variety to 4 ounces daily. Note: Since the SBD is still low in saturated fat, high-fat whole milk products will remain on the "foods to avoid" lists for all Phases.

Tomatoes
Old Version:
Limited to one whole tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes per meal in all Phases.

New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.

Onions
Old Version:
Limited to 1/2 per day in all Phases.

New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.

Carrots
Old Version:
Avoid carrots in Phase 1 and 2; allowed in moderation in Phase 3.

New Version:
Allowed, starting in Phase 2.

Jicama:
Allowed, starting in any Phase.

Chayote:
Allowed, starting in any Phase.

Lean Pastrami:
Allowed, starting in any Phase
June 10, 2004:
Bananas on The South Beach Diet

Good news! You can now eat a medium-sized banana as part of Phase 2 of The South Beach Diet.

Why the change? In reviewing the 2002 International Table of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load, a 4-ounce medium (120 gram) banana has a low glycemic index and an intermediate glycemic load making it an acceptable fruit for Phase 2 .

Here's what this all means: Although the glycemic index (GI) of a food is helpful information in choosing which foods to eat, it is only one part of the picture. The effect a food has on blood sugar levels depends on both the amount of carbohydrate as well as the glycemic index of that carbohydrate, which together is known as the glycemic load (GL).

For this reason the latest international table of the GI ranks foods based on both the GI as well as the GL. The GL better reflects a food's effect on your body's biochemistry than either the amount of carbohydrate or the GI alone.

Many foods can be misrepresented by just looking at their GI. Other nutrients in a food must also be considered. Good carbohydrates are nutrient-dense, slowly digested (usually due to a higher fiber content), and have a low to intermediate GI and GL. Whole fruits offer fiber, vitamins, minerals, and plenty of phytochemicals.

Since bananas vary in size, they had previously been listed as "avoid" or "eat rarely" on The South Beach Diet. However, with the more complete picture offered to us with the combination of GI and GL, as well as the nutritional contribution of the banana a fruit packed with fiber, vitamin C and B6, and potassium we are pleased to offer a medium banana as a fruit choice beginning in Phase 2.

As always, continue to monitor your response to the fruits as you reintroduce them.

In reviewing and investigating the GI and GL (and the constant evolution of information), we strive to update you and provide you with the tools and information to help you make appropriate food choices

November 15, 2004:
Some New South Beach Diet Clarifications

For our latest round of updates to the diet, you'll see that some of the changes are really clarifications of existing guidelines. We hope this helps make the plan even easier to follow.

Artificial Sweeteners
Because it's not FDA-approved, we've removed stevia from the Foods to Enjoy and Avoid list (all Phases).

Meat Alternatives/Soy
We've updated the guidelines on soy products. The old version used to recommend products with 3 grams of fat or less per 2-3 ounce serving. You may now enjoy products with 6 grams of fat per 2-3 ounce serving.

Milk/Dairy
We've updated the daily serving of milk/dairy (including yogurt) from 2 cups to 2-3 cups (Phases 2 and 3).

Vegetables
Fennel has been added to the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list.

March 9, 2005:
New South Beach Diet Foods from Kraft

Looking for a meal that's fast and South Beach Diet-friendly? Beginning in April, Kraft will be launching a whole new line of delicious products made especially for South Beachers and with Dr. Agatston's seal of approval, these products will help keep you "on the Beach." These join The South Beach Diet recommended products (like nuts and deli meats) that hit stores last fall all designed to make it easier than ever to follow The South Beach Diet. Here's a sneak peek:

Cereal (Phases 2 and 3). Two new options, South Beach Toasted Wheats and Whole Grain Crunch, will help you start your morning right with a taste of good nutrition. Besides being an excellent source of the right whole-grain carbs, these cereals are high in fiber and lean protein, yet low in sugar.
Cereal Bars (Phases 2 and 3). Rushing around in the morning with little time to prepare a meal? These cereal bars are tasty and satisfying perfect with a piece of fruit or cup of vegetable juice.
Sandwich Wraps (Phases 2 and 3). With lean meats, low-fat cheeses, flavorful sauces, and whole-grain tortilla wraps, these easy-to-prepare lunch items are fresh and nutritious. They come in four varieties and are packaged with sugar-free gelatin perfect for a lunch on-the-go.
Frozen Entrees (four entrees suitable for Phase 1; all for Phases 2 and 3). Loaded with the right carbs, the right fats, and lean sources of protein, these frozen entrees not only taste great, but also are great for you and convenient to make. With eight different flavors, such as Penne and Chicken in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, these meals offer satisfying portion sizes and no trans fats.
Frozen Pizza (Phases 2 and 3). Fiber-rich crusts and generous toppings make these four varieties of pizza delicious and healthy and they're great for kids, too! Loaded with veggies or covered with your favorite cheeses, you won't have to forgo one of your favorite foods while on The South Beach Diet.
Meal Replacement Bars (Phases 2 and 3). In a time crunch or need to pack light for a hike? The South Beach Diet Meal Replacement Bars are a great substitute when you can't get near the kitchen. Unlike many other bars, these contain no trans fats, are a good source of fiber and protein, and offer 23 vitamins and minerals.

The neat thing is, he keeps an updates section on his website to help us stay up-to-date and it's free!

Last edited by justmarvi; 06-10-2005 at 11:04 AM..
justmarvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: armypiglet
Stats: Atkins switcheroo to SB / WW
WOE: South Beach (little WW)
Start Date: 2/5/05
cool i now know that i wasnt cheating as much as i thought i was heehee wink wink
~jackie~
armypiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Compassionate
Stats: 195?/195/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2005
Thanks Marvi!

Blessings Compassion (aka. Jackie also!)
Compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Beachers,

Since this info predates our Phase 1 -2 and 3 stickies, and I think we need to go forward on those posts rather than backwards, I am going to post it here. I think this can be very helpful to all of us SBDers...a little history and such which works well with this thread of updates to the original book....please read on as there's some interesting info after the intro....

Dr. Agatston was, as of May 2003, (according to Prevention, and I imagine he still is)...
medical director of the Cardiac Prevention Center at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, FL. and associate professor of medicine at the University of Miami Medical School.

As I remember, sometime in 2002, Prevention asked him to introduce a trial low carb diet for the Prevention readers to give them what they considered to be a healthy low carb program and way of eating. Thus, an introduction of SBD was made.

Then, April 15, 2003, he joined Prevention on their weight loss boards and in the May 2003 issue of Prevention, the SBD was officially launched along with a preview of the newly published South Beach Diet book.

I would do show a copy and paste of all of it but it doesn't set up right as it was done on Excel or another similar program, as long as the link works, we have it, here goes..... .

Love you guys,

Marva

P.S.: just a hint... a copy and paste works well with my outlook express...
Old 06-15-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: santacruz
SBD

Thanks for information on the Mt. Sinai Diet menu. I've been on the SBD for two months as of today and have lost 16 pounds. I'm new to this web site and enjoy reading all the information.
santacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacyhdx
Stats: 232.4/203.6/160
WOE: Started at WW, went to Atkins, Landed at the Beach
Start Date: 8/7/05 ~ ReStart
Is the mount sanai different from the regular south beach?
Stacyhdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhdx
Is the mount sanai different from the regular south beach?
No Stacy, a little more detailed in the carb count but the menus and the foods listed appear to be like the ones in the book.

The way I personally understand and believe the Mt Sanai's connection in this is that Dr. Agatston was/is a heart Dr. at this hospital when he began experimenting with the eating program for his heart patients. He went on it himself and after discussing his results with the chief dietian of the hospital, they took the basic principals he had developed and expanded them into an agreeable eating plan......

My thoughts are that this might be the menu list he and she developed as Dr/Dietian possibly gave to the heart patients before it officially was called SBD. JMO....from info gathered from the book, anyway, for some reason or another, it's up on the web for us to gather info form?

Marva
Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JillianDC
Stats: 190/146/135 (highest weight 220ish)
WOE: LC/Exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2007
Can you tell me what the SB rule is on light frozen whipped topping? I just bought some Cool Whip Lite, which is labeled as SB recommended, but notice it is made with corn syrup. I'm still in Phase 1.

Thanks!
Jillian
JillianDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Since SB went "commercial" there are many products that don't fit the guidelines. My opinion, for what it is worth, is the cleaner you keep things, the better success you have. We don't eat Cool Whip at all; if we need such for fanciness, we use real whipped cream. If you compare, regular CW has fewer carbs and is a cleaner product than the lite. Same idea with fat free 1/2 & 1/2 etc. Again, just my opinion.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JillianDC
Stats: 190/146/135 (highest weight 220ish)
WOE: LC/Exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2007
Rose,

I agree with you and I'm going to throw it away. I had a little on my SF jello a couple of times and I think it's bringing my cravings back. Not a good thing since I worked so hard to banish them! I can live with plain jello.

Thanks -- I'm off to the gym.
Jillian
JillianDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happydayz
Stats: sw 184 cw 179 gw 125
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: jan 11th 2010
Diet soda

Hi there,

Im new to the site, from what Ive been reading and all the great tips, I feel like I want to start by thanking everyone!!
But I do have a question, I am on southbeach, I started it last year and lost about 19 lbs in 10 months, I managed to stay with it over the holidays, but have had a mayjor hicup since Feb and gained back about 10 lbs!!!
Anyway, Im back on track, and have been Phase one for a week...but I was wondering, would the once in a while Diet soda really throw me off, or would that be ok?...any advice would be great...thanks
happydayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #12

Diet soda is ok once in a while, but best kept to a minimum. ALWAYS have one with some food, not by itself, though.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happydayz
Stats: sw 184 cw 179 gw 125
Start Date: jan 11th 2010
Thanks, I dont crave soda very much, but just once in a while, I will be glad to know Im not breaking the rules to much!
happydayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scarlett86
Stats: 215/189/140
Start Date: Febuary 2009
bookmark
scarlett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CASH
Stats: 280/270/170
Start Date: 04/07/09
I STARTED THE SOUTH BEACH DIET 4/07/09 I LOST ABOUT 5LBS THE FIRST WEEK BUT I DIDN'T LOSE ANY IN THE SECOND WEEK ACCORDING TO MY SCALE BUT I HAVE LOST INCHES, THE WIEGHT JUST ISN'T MOVING, HAVE ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
CASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tiffcane
Stats: 219/201/145
Start Date: February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Since SB went "commercial" there are many products that don't fit the guidelines. My opinion, for what it is worth, is the cleaner you keep things, the better success you have. We don't eat Cool Whip at all; if we need such for fanciness, we use real whipped cream. If you compare, regular CW has fewer carbs and is a cleaner product than the lite. Same idea with fat free 1/2 & 1/2 etc. Again, just my opinion.
I just noticed this HFCS tonight as I was using CW "SB" recommended - and I am glad to see I am not just crazy! Ugh.
tiffcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffcane View Post
I just noticed this HFCS tonight as I was using CW "SB" recommended - and I am glad to see I am not just crazy! Ugh.
No, you are not crazy. This is one of my major rants.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: STPETEGIRL
I'm in Florida where these new South Beach items avaible
STPETEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmeeluvmenot
Stats: 217/217/150
Start Date: November 12, 2010
Much more flexible that the book I have! Encouraged to start!
luvmeeluvmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fire27503
Stats: 157/136/125
Start Date: Restart date: Feb. 25, 2013
Bump
fire27503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Freedom eagle
Up to date list?

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

Just finished reading SBD and I have a coup,e of questions.

I downloaded my copy thorough Kindle. Looks like the publication date was June 2010. Is this the most up to date food list for Phase I.

It says vegetable juice and almost all the sample menus mention tomato juice. No mention of V8. Is V8 OK and is there a limit to consumption. I love the stuff.

No mention of avocados in any of the food list but saw them listed in a couple of the menus. I love them too. What food group are they considered a part of and are they are OK for Phase 1?

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Regards,
Paul
Freedom eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lworrilow
Stats: 225/150/150
Start Date: July 2010
Does anyone know where you can buy the South Beach Toasted Wheats and Whole Grain Crunch Cereals?
lworrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lworrilow View Post
Does anyone know where you can buy the South Beach Toasted Wheats and Whole Grain Crunch Cereals?
The stores in this neck of the woods quit carrying most of the SB "products" years ago. I'm no help.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Nature's Path has a new cereal that would be SB friendly; Smart bran....a very lightly sweetened (it does not taste sweetened), mostly fiber cereal that doesn't fall apart like All Bran.

It makes a fabulous sprinkle as well as what it is made for; a bowl of cereal.

It's organic so in the health food section.

Go to the web site for the whole nutrition info.

All their cereals are of the highest quality.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kellytoddbran
thank you so much for sharing that ! It has really been a blessing. I hate to admit that food is that much part of my life ... but it is !!
kellytoddbran is offline   Reply With Quote