Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancik View Post
Hello -

Just starting this diet to help with gallbladder problems - do NOT want surgery. Has anyone else tried this diet for such problems? I had read in another article where SB would be beneficial for this condition.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting started...
SB is often beneficial because of the lower saturated fat. You will eat "good" fats in the form of olive oil, nut oils, avocado, etc, but not much saturated fat. You will concentrate on lean meats instead of fattier cuts. Come join us on the main thread. MARCH-ing along!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nancik
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 4-1-11
South Beach Diet

Rose,

Thank you for your reply. I had been looking at various articles and it sounds like a good diet.

After I've had a few days on the diet, I'll check back in and let you know how things are going.

Thanks again!
nancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancik View Post
Rose,

Thank you for your reply. I had been looking at various articles and it sounds like a good diet.

After I've had a few days on the diet, I'll check back in and let you know how things are going.

Thanks again!
You really need the book. If you don't have it, try borrowing it from the library to start with, then you can get one from amazon for cheap.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #154
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mikebrown1216
What about almond milk

I am new to SB Diet, and am starting phase 1 on Monday, I currently drink almond milk is this OK in phase 1 and in what portions?
mikebrown1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
What do you eat to replace ketchup or bbq sauce? I love these two condiments, but I'm trying to find what I could substitute for both of these.
Linda1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown1216 View Post
I am new to SB Diet, and am starting phase 1 on Monday, I currently drink almond milk is this OK in phase 1 and in what portions?
Sorry, looks like we missed this one. Almond milk is ok, count it as a nut serving. A cup or so a day should be fine.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1960 View Post
What do you eat to replace ketchup or bbq sauce? I love these two condiments, but I'm trying to find what I could substitute for both of these.
Linda, Bloodsugar 101 has a bbq sauce recipe that works well. You should be able to find it by googling around. Heinz makes a sugar free ketchup-it used to be called low carb. I can get it at my podunk walmart.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Juanita.R
Stats: 254
Start Date: June 2011
I began phase I on Monday, I am a diabetic and a runner. My sugar levels are so low it is negatively impacting my workouts. I use to eat fruit before running and I am trying vegetable juice, but it is not working? Any recommendations.
Juanita.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Terry L
Start Date: 6/27/11
Hi all, my husband and I have just started SB today. I need some suggestions for lunch ideas for my husband at work. We live in South FL and he works outside so it's HOT. He used to be a sandwich and chips kind of guy. Today I sent him with a salad with roasted chicken, a cheese stick and almonds. I'm open to all ideas...
Terry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita.R View Post
I began phase I on Monday, I am a diabetic and a runner. My sugar levels are so low it is negatively impacting my workouts. I use to eat fruit before running and I am trying vegetable juice, but it is not working? Any recommendations.
Wiz is our runner- I think she is in Rome right now. I think she just eats normally before she runs. Since you are diabetic, you can be successful if you start in a modified phase 2 ( which we call phase 1.5 ) and have a bit of fruit and the starchier vegetables and still lose weight nicely. I would leave off grains for a bit, though.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
Hi all, my husband and I have just started SB today. I need some suggestions for lunch ideas for my husband at work. We live in South FL and he works outside so it's HOT. He used to be a sandwich and chips kind of guy. Today I sent him with a salad with roasted chicken, a cheese stick and almonds. I'm open to all ideas...
That's a fine lunch. You could do meat and cheese rollups, maybe rolled around a pickle sliver. You could include celery stuffed with a cream cheese mixture or peanut butter or home made pimento cheese. Hummus and veggie sticks. Be sure to give him enough so that he doesn't crash in the meddle of the afternoon. If he likes cottage cheese, cottage cheese mixed with finely chopped veggies is awesome. Any sandwich can be turned into a salad, so you could make a club sandwich salad with ham and turkey and cheese. The SB mini quiches or egg muffin cups or whatever they're called travel well. One great resource is Kayln's Kitchen. She has wonderful recipes that are SB friendly. Best of luck.

I grew up in Miami and Lakeland-half a year in each- back when the dinosaurs roamed the Everglades.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GooeyMochi
Stats: 213/175/135 size 14/10/6
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/11/2011
wait, so SouthBeach is similar to Atkins, except we can add in fruit and yogurt in the second phase right?
GooeyMochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sperle
Stats: 153-143
WOE: I tried to do the South Beach
Start Date: Sept 2011 but stopped
Question about Phase 1

Hi! I do not have a significant amount of weight to lose-mainly around the middle. It's all because of what I eat. I work out 6 days a week, cardio and weights, but eat a diet high in carbs and junk-not a lot of food, just the wrong kind. I tried Phase 1 and made it 5 days. The problem I had was that I never had any energy in the morning to exercise. Having no carbs wiped me out. Any suggestions?
sperle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperle View Post
Hi! I do not have a significant amount of weight to lose-mainly around the middle. It's all because of what I eat. I work out 6 days a week, cardio and weights, but eat a diet high in carbs and junk-not a lot of food, just the wrong kind. I tried Phase 1 and made it 5 days. The problem I had was that I never had any energy in the morning to exercise. Having no carbs wiped me out. Any suggestions?
Are you actually following South Beach? Phase 1 isn't no carbs. Can you post a few days of menus so we can take a look at what you are actually eating? Then we can try to help.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SLhames
Stats: 235/180/140
WOE: south beach
Start Date: november 2011
New to south beach phase 1

I am starting south beach this week and im really excited to learn a better way to eat. I have lost 50 pounds in the last 7 months but did so using diet pills. Although they have been effective i worry what they are doing to my body and that i will go back to my old habbits once off the pills. I would like to start south beach to help lose weight, and help me get into healthy habbits to maintain when i reach my goal. Are there any tips and tricks i should know about? Do i have to eat veggies at every meal? Im not a huge breakfast person so just eating a protein will be a challenge... also It says 1-2 servings of regular coffee but what is considered a serving? I drink about 32oz every morning as it is.... sorry this is such a long post :P
SLhames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLhames View Post
I am starting south beach this week and im really excited to learn a better way to eat. I have lost 50 pounds in the last 7 months but did so using diet pills. Although they have been effective i worry what they are doing to my body and that i will go back to my old habbits once off the pills. I would like to start south beach to help lose weight, and help me get into healthy habbits to maintain when i reach my goal. Are there any tips and tricks i should know about? Do i have to eat veggies at every meal? Im not a huge breakfast person so just eating a protein will be a challenge... also It says 1-2 servings of regular coffee but what is considered a serving? I drink about 32oz every morning as it is.... sorry this is such a long post :P
Join us on the main thread. It's October!

. There are really no tricks to this, just follow the plan by the book, as written. Save "tweaking" for later. Yes, you need veggies at every meal. A serving of coffee is actually 5 oz. 32 oz of straight coffee is too much, it whacks out your insulin. You can have decaf, though.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #167
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ajlynco
Another Newbie with a few questions

1. Is the newer version of the SBD significantly different from the 2003 version?
2. I noticed that I can have 1-2 servings of caffienated coffee. How big is a serving?
3.Can I eat oatmeal or popcorn?
Today is day one and I can feel the lack of energy. I really hit the wall around 5:00 PM. Oh well, one day down and in the can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by europe View Post
You can buy it at Barnes and Nobles Bookstores. That is where I buyed mine or check Amazon.com

Good Luck!
ajlynco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlynco View Post
1. Is the newer version of the SBD significantly different from the 2003 version?
2. I noticed that I can have 1-2 servings of caffienated coffee. How big is a serving?
3.Can I eat oatmeal or popcorn?
Today is day one and I can feel the lack of energy. I really hit the wall around 5:00 PM. Oh well, one day down and in the can.
I picked this up in the other thread. Oatmeal comes in phase 2, also. Old fashioned or steel cut, not instant or quick cook. Popcorn is 3 cups.

Give yourself a few days to get accustomed and you will have a new kind of energy!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #169
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Esta
Start Date: July 6, 2012
South Beach Diet

Very new to the SB diet and wanted to know if anyone has a suggestions for a subsitute for V-8 or tomato juice? My Mother is on it with me and has Barrett's syndrome (esophagus problems) Is there a reason why they have so much V-8 & tomato juice? I noticed it almost everyday in the book and wondered if it may have something to do with digesting your food quicker??

Last edited by Esta; 07-08-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Esta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esta View Post
Very new to the SB diet and wanted to know if anyone has a suggestions for a subsitute for V-8 or tomato juice? My Mother is on it with me and has Barrett's syndrome (esophagus problems) Is there a reason why they have so much V-8 & tomato juice? I noticed it almost everyday in the book and wondered if it may have something to do with digesting your food quicker??
V-8 or tomato juice is not necessary at all. It's just a quick, easy way to get a serving of veggies in. You need a half cup or so of veggies at breakfast, but a veggie omelette works just as well or better. I often have a boiled egg and some V-8 for breakfast or a string cheese and V-8 for a snack, but I could just as well have cut up veggies.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
hey rose1! Seems like you're the resident expert here so I was hoping you (or anyone else for that matter) could help me out.

I started SBD on July 31st and didn't realize at the time there was an updated food list and somewhat modified guidelines. I abstained from all veggies the entire first two weeks and lost 10 pounds during the first phase. To be honest, I was hoping for around 14 pounds so I have mixed emotions on my progress thus far.

In any event, I should technically be in phase 2 but I'm hesitating due to lack of knowledge and also to be honest..lack of courage. haha. I have begun eating vegetables and boy do they taste glorious! My concern is that I'm eating too much veggies on a dailybasis though.

Quick timeline..7/31 - 8/12: Phase 1 complete. Lost 10 pounds. the first week was tough but week 2 everything changed especially with respect to energy levels.

8/13 - today: Supposed to be in phase 2...but I'm still following phase 2 guidelines.

In fact, I think I want to do phase 1 for another 2-3 weeks since I feel terrific. Is this ill-advised?

Also...based on phase 1 criteria how much veggies should i have on a daily basis? Example: 1 cup max? 2 cups? 1/4 cups?

Thanks in advance!
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeschain927 View Post
hey rose1! Seems like you're the resident expert here so I was hoping you (or anyone else for that matter) could help me out.

I started SBD on July 31st and didn't realize at the time there was an updated food list and somewhat modified guidelines. I abstained from all veggies the entire first two weeks and lost 10 pounds during the first phase. To be honest, I was hoping for around 14 pounds so I have mixed emotions on my progress thus far.

In any event, I should technically be in phase 2 but I'm hesitating due to lack of knowledge and also to be honest..lack of courage. haha. I have begun eating vegetables and boy do they taste glorious! My concern is that I'm eating too much veggies on a dailybasis though.

Quick timeline..7/31 - 8/12: Phase 1 complete. Lost 10 pounds. the first week was tough but week 2 everything changed especially with respect to energy levels.

8/13 - today: Supposed to be in phase 2...but I'm still following phase 2 guidelines.

In fact, I think I want to do phase 1 for another 2-3 weeks since I feel terrific. Is this ill-advised?

Also...based on phase 1 criteria how much veggies should i have on a daily basis? Example: 1 cup max? 2 cups? 1/4 cups?

Thanks in advance!
First question. Do you have the book? If not, get one!

You should have been eating 4-5 cups of phase 1 vegetables from the very beginning, so bump those veggies up! Dr. A recommends that you change to phase 2 at the end of two weeks for several reasons. 1. So you don't get bored and go off on a tangent. 2. So you don't miss out on vital nutrients. 3. Weight loss won't really be any faster if you stay on phase 1, so might as well move on.

Since you haven't been eating veggies, I might think about another week on phase 1, done correctly, then move to phase 2 adding berries and some phase 2 veggies such as a small sweet potato or acorn squash, etc. Don't limit your choices--take advantage of all the wonderful foods available to you.

At your starting weight, 10 lbs is fantastic. A pound a day isn't going to happen unless you are extremely overweight or have a lot of toxic water weight to lose. What you want to lose is FAT and true fat loss occurs at a rate of 1 lb or less a week or 2 at the very most under ideal circumstances. Any more than that and you are losing muscle and bone mass. Not good.

to the Beach!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
First question. Do you have the book? If not, get one!

You should have been eating 4-5 cups of phase 1 vegetables from the very beginning, so bump those veggies up! Dr. A recommends that you change to phase 2 at the end of two weeks for several reasons. 1. So you don't get bored and go off on a tangent. 2. So you don't miss out on vital nutrients. 3. Weight loss won't really be any faster if you stay on phase 1, so might as well move on.

Since you haven't been eating veggies, I might think about another week on phase 1, done correctly, then move to phase 2 adding berries and some phase 2 veggies such as a small sweet potato or acorn squash, etc. Don't limit your choices--take advantage of all the wonderful foods available to you.

At your starting weight, 10 lbs is fantastic. A pound a day isn't going to happen unless you are extremely overweight or have a lot of toxic water weight to lose. What you want to lose is FAT and true fat loss occurs at a rate of 1 lb or less a week or 2 at the very most under ideal circumstances. Any more than that and you are losing muscle and bone mass. Not good.

to the Beach!
Thanks for the response rose!

I do have the book. Well, I purchased the book years ago and i can't find it as I've moved twice. I gotta find the thing!

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll do as you suggest. One more week on doing phase 1 correctly and then will move on to phase 2.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeschain927 View Post
Thanks for the response rose!

I do have the book. Well, I purchased the book years ago and i can't find it as I've moved twice. I gotta find the thing!

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll do as you suggest. One more week on doing phase 1 correctly and then will move on to phase 2.
Ok. Until you find your book, you can use the stickies for very basic info. And ask questions here, of course.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Rose,

I really appreciate the food list best information I have ever seen. I am giving this a try to mix things up, so far I really like it. I was hoping to find out when it comes to beans is it 1/3 - 1/2 cup per meal or per day?

Thanks
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl44 View Post
Hi Rose,

I really appreciate the food list best information I have ever seen. I am giving this a try to mix things up, so far I really like it. I was hoping to find out when it comes to beans is it 1/3 - 1/2 cup per meal or per day?

Thanks
One of the beauties and also one of the problems with SB is there are very few absolutes. A serving of beans is 1/3 - 1/2 cup, but how many serving can you have in a day? If I am putting garbanzo beans on a salad, I would use about 1/3 c. If I am having black bean soup, I would have maybe a cup of beans, so two generous servings of beans. Most people would have beans not more than once a day, more likely two or three times a week at most. You have to play around with it and see what works for you.

Last edited by rose1; 09-11-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Thanks Rose,

I am very interested in a vegetarian diet. How is doing SB vegetarian working for you. Have you lost weight?
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cupcakegirl35
Stats: 343/343/135
Start Date: Febuary 4, 2013
I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm Laura. I'm 35, divorced, no kids, work full time and attend school full time. It's extremely hard for me, like millions of people, to diet let alone exercise. I started in Jan on Weight Watchers but failed miserably. I know Atkins works for my blood sugar, if I can just stay away from the low carb ice cream at Braum's, it's soooo good. HA!! I decided that since the doctor I work for pushes SBD that I'd try it. My breaking, sinking, hit rock bottom moment was when the doctor was going to see me as a patient and asked if the scales would weigh me? I'm proud of myself though, cause normally I'd go to the bathroom and cry, but I had already made up my mind that morning to do it, to make the switch and drop kick some weight. I officially start tomorrow and like God always does, he provides and he showed me the way to this forum in the knuckle of time. I'm no saint, and I may be bent and bruised but you can't break this ole girl, I'm tougher than I look. Good luck and God bless to all you out there doing your thing.
" Be the change you want yo see " ~ Ghandi

Last edited by cupcakegirl35; 02-03-2013 at 09:59 AM..
cupcakegirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakegirl35 View Post
I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm Laura. I'm 35, divorced, no kids, work full time and attend school full time. It's extremely hard for me, like millions of people, to diet let alone exercise. I started in Jan on Weight Watchers but failed miserably. I know Atkins works for my blood sugar, if I can just stay away from the low carb ice cream at Braum's, it's soooo good. HA!! I decided that since the doctor I work for pushes SBD that I'd try it. My breaking, sinking, hit rock bottom moment was when the doctor was going to see me as a patient and asked if the scales would weigh me? I'm proud of myself though, cause normally I'd go to the bathroom and cry, but I had already made up my mind that morning to do it, to make the switch and drop kick some weight. I officially start tomorrow and like God always does, he provides and he showed me the way to this forum in the knuckle of time. I'm no saint, and I may be bent and bruised but you can't break this ole girl, I'm tougher than I look. Good luck and God bless to all you out there doing your thing.
" Be the change you want yo see " ~ Ghandi
Cupcake. Here's where we hang out during the week. Spring is just around the corner! Come over and play with us!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ginmaschinot
Hi Everyone...I am new to this SBD too...trying to stay positive and find some support to help me through this trying time in my life...
ginmaschinot is offline   Reply With Quote