Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: CW 212 GW 159
WOE: WW Freestyle
Start Date: 3/20/2016
Weight Watchers 2016

Hi. I'm wanting to see if we can revive a weight watcher support thread here. I started the new smart points program in March and I am happy with the lifestyle changes that are emphasized now and the beyond the scale type thinking that is part of the new approach. I go to in person meetings at least once a week.

I'm hoping my lowcarb friends weight watchers will stop in here and we can share what's working for us and what we've learned and exchange some recipes. Anyone is encouraged to stop by and ask questions or add their 2 cents. Welcome all.

Sue

Last edited by RW City Sue; 04-25-2016 at 09:07 PM..
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Hi Berta. Here we go with our new thread. I always appreciate new recipes. So bring 'em on. I've got a steep learning curve with making new life style choices right now. So far I'm liking the smart point system. It is sort of like a fun game for me right now and I sort of hope it stays that way. My loss has been pretty slow too. Our leader talked about that tonight and how the system allows for living life while in the process of losing instead of being a quick weight loss program.

I have a friend with thyroid problems also and I think you will notice a difference with an increase in your med doseage.

I've heard others say they liked points plus better also for losing. I guess lifestyle is the big emphasis now and I like that because I need long term results.

We share having diabetes in common. I've seen a difference already in my numbers so I'm happy about that. I hear you about sweets. I sort of got into trouble with portion sizes while trying out new treats last week even though they were lower point foods.

I weigh in on Monday evenings now. I just switched from Sundays. Here's to a great week for us both!

Sue
Old 04-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Berta48
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: 10lbs @ time)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 2016 Weight Watchers prior 2015 HCG
Hi Sue
Well I'm here, I hope we get some other people interested too.
Well I thought for certain I would gain this week.But I stayed the same.So I am happy as I was not very much on plan Sunday.

I am going to try to eat meat,veggies and fruit ONLY this week. UNLESS I have some sugar free jello or pudding. We are in a habit of eating dessert at home. Never when we eat out for some reason?

I hope you are having a great week.I'll check back tomorrow.

Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dihawk
Stats: 182/154/145
WOE: Atkins 72/Lchf
Start Date: Jan.2013
Hi girls, I just started WW last week. My first weigh- in is this Thursday morning. I have been doing low carb for 2 years and have not been able to lose lately. I would like to try and do low carb WW. And loose slowly. And enjoy the summer vegetables and fruits. Good week to you both.
Dihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Berta48
Berta48

Hello Dihawk
Weight Watchers is a great program if you work with it, it will work.
I struggle cause I have some health issues that make my losing slow.But I take it one day at a time.

I thought I would gain tonight but I stayed the same so very happy about that. Because I made some very bad choices last week.
Keep posting and we can do this

Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
RisingFawn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RisingFawn
I too started WW last week, online. I have been getting familiar with web site and apps, reading about the plan. My hope is to be able to do low carb along with WW. I think I will like the structure. WW has really outdone themselves with this new plan, being more protein and less sweets geared, also with the app- it's amazing for tracking activities. If you haven't tried it yet, get the FitBreak app from WW!!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
Berta48
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFawn View Post
I too started WW last week, online. I have been getting familiar with web site and apps, reading about the plan. My hope is to be able to do low carb along with WW. I think I will like the structure. WW has really outdone themselves with this new plan, being more protein and less sweets geared, also with the app- it's amazing for tracking activities. If you haven't tried it yet, get the FitBreak app from WW!!
Hello RisingFawn
Weight Watchers is an excellent Healthy plan. I haven't a smart phone as I can't afford one. I am on SS and have a very limited budget.But I do enjoy being online and reading the articles and recipes and such.And the meetings are great. I have met a lot of very nice people there and our leaders are good too, I look forward to Tuesday evening weigh in (most of the time) except when I have not been on plan.

I do well here at home, but when we go out to eat is where I have my problem. It is hard as we live in a small college town and haven't many choices.
We get together with a few other couples most Friday evenings and eat out, then go to someones home afterwards for board or card games.

So it is hard knowing what to order. I try to get broiled, baked or braised whatever and salad. But then there is the dressing and etc. OR if we eat at someones home it's the same problem, not knowing how they cooked the food or what they put into it.

I have my weekly points to use, but seems I don't loose quite as well, if at all when I use them. I guess it is a learning curve with each one of us.

Happy to have you with us

Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
Berta48
Berta48

Good Morning Sue
Where are you? I just knew I was going to gain last night at weigh in. But thank the good Lord I stayed the same.So I am happy and on plan today.

I was so good last week up until Sunday evening. Then we had our monthly church supper and it was pot luck. I told myself before I went I was going to behave myself, as I really wasn't hungry.

But we got there and going through the line and all that food staring me in the face I caved . Then to top it all off kept on eating after we came home
At the time I am doing stuff like that I don't care. Then afterwards I feel so guilty and am so mad and aggravated at myself for it. It is just a vicious circle it seems.

I been going up two, down one, up one, down two for the last three months. Just getting no where.I don't exercise due to my arthritis and joint disease. Then my bad thyroid to top it all off. I know it sounds as if I am making excuses but I really am not.

I also have bone on bone in my knees no cartilage in them. I need them replaced but I'm chicken to do so. My best friend had it done and when they got her up to walk the first time, a blood clot went to her brain and she dropped dead right on the spot Yes, I'm a mess

I can walk but it has been raining here and still cold so I am waiting for it to warm up a bit. I have to walk very slow, but that is better than nothing.
Where are we suppose to post recipes now here on the recipe board? I ask cause I haven't seen anyone on the other one.
Well will chat with everyone later. Have a great day.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
RisingFawn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RisingFawn
Thank you!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Good morning to everyone. Glad to see the new posts. Sorry I didn't get time to post yesterday--busy day helping out with my grandsons. I'm off to my Pilates session now but will be back later while I'm waiting for grandsons at their Dr appointment. Here's to a good day for us all!

Sue
Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Dihawk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dihawk
Stats: 182/154/145
WOE: Atkins 72/Lchf
Start Date: Jan.2013
Thank you for the welcome. Will I weighed in today. It's a good thing I'm willing to loose slowly. I'm down .4 LOL �� I'm. Going to try another week. Have a good!
Dihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Berta48
Berta48

Hello Dihawk
I have only been losing about .5 a week. It is a learning curve. We have to get use to eating healthy and that doesn't come overnight after years of not eating healthy.
You can do it! We can do it. WE WILL DO IT.
One day at a time, one meal at time.

We are going to a fellowship meeting this evening in about 30 minutes and they are serving dinner.I have no idea what they will have. SO I ate pb2 and celery just a bit ago so I am not so hungry I still have all my weeklies and 23 dailies.So surely I will be able to eat, if I choose as wisely as I can

Hang in there friend

Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Hi RisingFawn and Dihawk! Welcome again Berta also!

Dihawk, WW is known for slower weight loss. We were laughing about that in my meeting this week. They don't want to advertise that haha. I'm in it for the lifestyle change and I guess willing to inch along with results also.

Berta, I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and it was tough but I'm glad I did it. I can see where your friend's bad experience would discourage you. The bone on bone pain is difficult and knee replacement is the only repair.

I try and track before I eat and that helps with situations like the church supper. A pot lock adds a level of complexity.

Gotta go because I'm watching grandsons again. Will try to write more in a bit.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Edin
Camminatore del Vento

Gallery: Edin
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: November 2006
Hi everyone!! Sue was just so sweet to invite some of us who post on the PG to come on by and join in. I just read all of your posts and it is nice to meet all of you!!

I am looking at WW, haven't joined yet. I am thinking about it. I tried it years ago but I just didn't stick with it. It was also bad because I would use their frozen meals at work, and they just have too many carbs and make me hungry.

I am very sensitive to simple carbs and all they do it make me hungry. I no longer do well on low-carb. All the meats and fats really hurt my stomach. So, I am kind of exploring options.

Anyway, it is inspiring to read about all of you being determined to get healthier.

THE REAL HOUSEWIFE OF CRANKY TOWN
Edin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

OK. Let's try this again. My grandsons that still live with their dad are 8, 6, and 2 and he and his wife have tough work schedules right now, so I'm on gramma duty a lot lately. My step daughter's mom is moving here to Cali in June so more help is on the way👍🏼

RisingFawn I'm really big on the WW app. I love it. Makes tracking so easy and I'm on connect a lot as sierrasue5. I haven't posted anything of my own yet but I've made supportive comments here and there and follow a lot of people. I have Fitbreak but don't do much with it. The smart points are pretty amazing for how you get rewarded for healthier choices. Low carb eating is an efficient use of points also.

Good to see you here Edin. I tried some of the frozen meals also but was not happy with them for the most part. The only one I regularly have around now is the mini cheeseburger one--6 sp's. I've gotten a lot of ideas for low point foods and I will share those here another time. They're good for low carb and lots of dif plans.

Good night for now my friends.

Sue
Old 04-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #16
Berta48
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edin View Post
Hi everyone!! Sue was just so sweet to invite some of us who post on the PG to come on by and join in. I just read all of your posts and it is nice to meet all of you!!

I am looking at WW, haven't joined yet. I am thinking about it. I tried it years ago but I just didn't stick with it. It was also bad because I would use their frozen meals at work, and they just have too many carbs and make me hungry.

I am very sensitive to simple carbs and all they do it make me hungry. I no longer do well on low-carb. All the meats and fats really hurt my stomach. So, I am kind of exploring options.

Anyway, it is inspiring to read about all of you being determined to get healthier.

Edin
Weight Watchers is a great Plan. The only one I have ever really lost on.

This is my 3rd time around. Not quitting this time till it's over. I am hopeful this will be my last time. I will forever be eating this way. But I mean quitting and starting all over, and being up even worse than I was before.

I actually started out at 275.8 now I am 239.4 so it works. I just have to be persistent, because I have a long way to go yet.But I take it one day at a time and one meal at a time.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #17
Edin
Camminatore del Vento

Berta, thanks!! My issue is I am eating out of anxiety and I know I am using food to handle it. I have to get my head on straight. I was looking at the WW site and I may join for 90 days. I hope I can just do points online and not thru my iPhone. I am home a lot and it is just easier to type on my pc than on the phone.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
Berta48
Berta48

Quote:
Berta, thanks!! My issue is I am eating out of anxiety and I know I am using food to handle it. I have to get my head on straight. I was looking at the WW site and I may join for 90 days. I hope I can just do points online and not thru my iPhone. I am home a lot and it is just easier to type on my PC than on the phone.
That is what I do too. I am not one to write things down. It is easy online. If you join for $44.95 monthly you can also go to the meetings and access all the recipes and other things online.

Went grocery shopping and just came home I am pooped I walked for 4 hours. Slow, but I got my exercise in for the day. Probably the whole week

Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ladies. I had a long day yesterday. Drove down to Santa Cruz with dh. I shopped for groceries at the local Safeway and Trader Joe's there and found some low point foods I've been looking for. One was Flatout Thin Crust Artisan Pizza crust. It's only 3 points for a pretty good size crust. I'm going to put together a pizza today and try it out. I have TJ's pizza sauce and nonfat mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni and will put some sliced olives on it also for my first try I think.

I did almost 3000 steps so I will enter those in for my activity points for yesterday. So things are going along pretty well. I have some gram zero stevia sweetened gelatin in the fridge I ordered from Netrition. So I will have that for 0 sp's snacking today and I usually put some fat free Reddi-wip on it, also 0 sp's for 2 T.

My friend came over on Thursday and helped with meal prep and I have the last 2 portions of rolled chicken cordon bleu in the fridge for dinner tonite. Just have to heat it up. It's a 7 sp recipe I found online.

So that's some of my lower point food ideas I wanted to share. I get lots of ideas off the WW app also on Connect.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #20
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Berta, I count grocery shopping as part of my exercise also. It's quite an effort to find all the foods for this new lifestyle. I can't even tell you how many hours I spend per week gathering everything. I'm still in a pretty steep learning curve with figuring out what foods are going to work for me and where to find them haha. I feel like I'm getting my freezer and pantry pretty well stocked with staples and I have fresh and frozen fruit ready now to reach for when I need it.

Hope you have a nice restful day. I'm resting in my recliner now. Haha--best thing I got for myself when I had my knee surgery. I splurged on a good relax the back chair. I miss it when I'm away from home haha.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #21
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Edin, I have problems with eating my emotions too. I have to put extra effort into doing meditation and keeping myself occupied with online things or texting with friends. I got an adult color book they were selling last week at my WW meeting so I can use it to relax and distract myself.

The hardest time for me to stay in control is when I'm tired. I have problems with getting good sleep then at the end of the day when I'm truly exhausted, I make poor decisions. Luckily I have lots of low point foods around so not much damage is done but I end up eating into my weekly points that I would prefer not to. I tell myself to just go to bed but I get like a stubborn little child when I'm that tired ha! So I'm working on being better rested.

I hope you can find a way that works for you to join WW. I highly recommend the new program. It seems like they've added a lot of value to the program for members. I did a 3 month special they were running that includes online and in person meetings. The app and Connect are so helpful. Tracking is really easy. I just scan in labels and it tracks what I eat and I can enter recipes in and it's all figured out on the app.

One thing I like about going to the meetings is the bling they give out to mark milestones and successes. They give you a key ring after the first month and little charms on it. I just have 2 charms so far. I'll have to take a photo to post. The charms are really cute.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #22
Berta48
Berta48

Morning Ladies
Well I got away with eating out yesterday and I am so glad.Because when we eat out I tend to gain and I have had a great week so far. My husband had to work late, so we had to cancel plans with our friends for dinner at a local Diner.

Today is a memorial we are going to, for a friend that passed. they are serving lunch.BUT it's Jambalia (spelling) and I am not crazy about it.So I will not have a problem there.Just going to pay respect to the family.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weigh in this week. Mine is Tuesday. I am hoping for a 2 lb loss.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
Edin
Camminatore del Vento

Checking in to say, hi! I hope your day is going well.

Berta, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

I really hope that you hit the 2 lb loss!!

Do all of you use a food scale?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #24
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Berta, sorry about your friend It feels great to have a good week of eating doesn't it? Almost a reward in itself

Edin, I have a food scale but haven't used it so far. I use measuring cups and spoons a lot and I'm thinking I need to start making sure I'm accurate with portions on the scale also. How about you?

Last edited by RW City Sue; 04-30-2016 at 04:06 PM..
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #25
Edin
Camminatore del Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW City Sue View Post
Berta, sorry about your friend It feels great to have a good week of eating doesn't it? Almost a reward in itself

Edin, I have a food scale but haven't used it so far. I use measuring cups and spoons a lot and I'm thinking I need to start making sure I'm accurate with portions on the scale also. How about you?
Sue, I have a scale, but all of my stuff is still in storage in CA. I haven't shipped anything since I was unsure if I would want to remain here. I want to move again, so I am holding off shipping. I had to buy a few basic kitchen things, but I try to limit since I already have things.

I know things like meat are supposed to be weighed. So, I am wondering if I need to buy a scale. I still have to join WW. I am thinking about doing it this weekend. I know they sell scales and there is probably one on their site. I was also looking on Amazon. There are some nice ones that aren't too expensive, but they also sell super expensive ones for WW that not only weigh the food but calculate points, which I don't need. But I am amazed at what they sell.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #26
Berta48
Berta48

Quote:
Sue, I have a scale, but all of my stuff is still in storage in CA. I haven't shipped anything since I was unsure if I would want to remain here. I want to move again, so I am holding off shipping. I had to buy a few basic kitchen things, but I try to limit since I already have things.

I know things like meat are supposed to be weighed. So, I am wondering if I need to buy a scale. I still have to join WW. I am thinking about doing it this weekend. I know they sell scales and there is probably one on their site. I was also looking on Amazon. There are some nice ones that aren't too expensive, but they also sell super expensive ones for WW that not only weigh the food but calculate points, which I don't need. But I am amazed at what they sell.
I always weigh my meat and and measure things unless it's veggies or fruit.
I bought my scales at WalMart. WW scale broke after 3 months and they wouldn't give me a refund or replace them.Said warranty was up? BUT they did give me a month free and that was more money than the scales, so I was very satisfied

I did good at the memorial I ate 1/8 pc. of carrot cake tenny tiny piece.(one bite) and 1/4 cup of the jambalaya. It was really good. So I made it through.

We've decided to eat at home tomorrow after church instead of eating out with the others. We will have baked pork chops, fresh green beans, baked potato and a baked biscuit.(Pillsbury Grand Jr. are 3sp.)

Quote:
Thanks for the condolences. Yes, it makes me feel good and want to go on.But when I gain it is just the opposite I feel like giving up. But If I do that, I will never reach goal and gain back all I've lost.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #27
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Some good sounding foods you are having Berta. I'm glad u treated yourself to a little of the carrot cake. I think it's important to not feel deprived. I'm working on getting together a point friendly carrot cake recipe. It's one of those foods I end up getting a hankering for now and then.

Edin, Escali is the name of the scale I have. It's portable is why I got it and I think it was inexpensive. Probably got it from Amazon; I've had it quite a few years.

Sounds like you are having some interesting adventures in moving. Where will you be moving next?

Today is dh's birthday so I'm saving up points for going out later and balancing that with staying satisfied with good protein choices for breakfast and lunch (which will be eaten out also). I'm packing my own salad dressing, some strawberries, and a 2pt protein shake with 30g protein to make sure I have options.

Have a great Sunday ladies!

Sue
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #28
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Btw great story, Berta, about the WW scale and getting a free month. Woohoo!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #29
Berta48
Berta48

Quote:
Some good sounding foods you are having Berta. I'm glad u treated yourself to a little of the carrot cake. I think it's important to not feel deprived. I'm working on getting together a point friendly carrot cake recipe. It's one of those foods I end up getting a hankering for now and then.

Edin, Escali is the name of the scale I have. It's portable is why I got it and I think it was inexpensive. Probably got it from Amazon; I've had it quite a few years.

Sounds like you are having some interesting adventures in moving. Where will you be moving next?

Today is dh's birthday so I'm saving up points for going out later and balancing that with staying satisfied with good protein choices for breakfast and lunch (which will be eaten out also). I'm packing my own salad dressing, some strawberries, and a 2pt protein shake with 30g protein to make sure I have options.

Have a great Sunday ladies!

Sue
Hi Sue
Happy Birthday to your hubby . Enjoy it, as we never know how long we will have them.

We had a great lunch today. I only have 9 points left for the day and we don't eat breakfast on Sunday as we don't have time before going to Sunday School and Church. There are several people that go out afterwards to eat lunch together wherever they decide to go. But today hubby and I came home ( as I stated we were going to yesterday ) I ended up eating 2 biscuits and that's 6 pts right there. But so worth it

I even made a bit of peppered gravy for my meat.Hubby put it on his potato too.So tonight after church we will eat a grilled ham & cheese and fruit. That will take care of my 6 remaining pts. 2 bread = 2 sp ham =1 sp cheese is 2 sp, light margarine is 2 sp Actually it's 7 Smart Points but I can use one weekly

I take 2 Sara Lee 45 calorie bread 2 TBS I can't believe it's not butter light and one slice of Velveeta sharp cheddar cheese. And that is my grilled cheese, and one slice Farmland Ham.Pretty good too I might say.

Here's a recipe for you. They are more dense than regular cake. but very tasty never the less.

Carrot cake bars with cream cheese icing

4 sp or 3 pp(for those that are still following Points Plus)
Ingredients...
1-100g container of Greek nonfat yogurt ( I used vanilla Chobani, but plain is fine and my yogurt is 2sp)
⅓ cup FF or almond milk
1 egg
1 egg white
½ Tbsp oil (such as canola)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup + 2Tbsp white flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1.5 cups shredded carrots
2 Tbsp chopped nuts (I used pecans) optional

Icing
¼ cup light cream cheese, softened
¼ cup icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
½ Tbsp reduced calorie margarine
½ tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 9 inch baking dish.
2. Using a food processor shred your carrots.
3. In a large bowl combine your egg, egg white, yogurt and milk. Mix well and then stir in your oil and vanilla. Mix in
your sugar, flour, spices, baking powder and soda and mix well.
4. Fold in your carrots and nuts.
5. Pour out into your baking dish using a spatula to get all batter into dish.
6. Bake in oven for 40 minutes, let cool completely. Cake will settle once out of oven.
7. Cream together all of your icing ingredients and let chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
8. Once bars are cooled, cut into 9 and top with chilled incing. Store in sealed container in the fridge. Makes 9
large bars at 4sp or 3pp each *Note, these are a denser carrot cake bar and not a fluffy cake like bar.
9. Nutritional info (not incl carrots,but carrots are zero sp.) per bar
Calories 123.. Fat 3.4g..Saturated fat 0.8g.. Carbs 20g...Fiber
0.5 g..Sugars 7.9 g... Protein 4.2 g

Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #30
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Hi all. Berta, sounds like you're working the points to eat what you really want. I like that. Thanks for the Birthday wishes and the carrot cake recipe. I especially like the looks of that icing. I ended up having 1/4 piece that was at lunch today and dh ate the rest so I got my taste after all.

Dinner was tough to get thru because the food was way richer than I thought it would be. I ordered a shwarma plate and thought from the description it would be fresh Greek food. But it seemed like everything was fried and greasy even the bread--like what?? So I ate as little as I could and gave some to dh and put some in a to-go box. Funny how I've gotten to where greasy food just does not sit well on my stomach after getting used to lighter eating. I did my best to figure out the points for that mess and hope it doesn't adversely affect my weigh in Monday night.

Ok, I'm done watching my show fear the walking dead now and it's my bedtime. Sweet dreams to all of us. ��