Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Weird

I have been in rock solid ketosis for a couple of years (maybe longer). I am very happy to be where I am with this except that I seem not to be able to lose any weight - again! Trust me, I have tried many, many things that all allowed me to stay in ketosis.

I have spent a long time considering doing a 'carb night'. Long story short, I had about 150 grams of mashed sweet potato with my dinner last night, along with the 10g carbs from brussel sprouts. I felt fine - normal - no different. This morning, tested blood ketones in a fasted state and got a very typical 1.0 (I usually measure anywhere between 1.2 to 2.0). The scale is the same.

W.t.h.!!!?

I am pretty sure the extra 60 (or so) grams of carbs did not knock me out of ketosis at all. I find this really puzzling. Any thoughts?

I tried doing this 'insulin spike' in the fall but with excess protein and had no luck. I am sure if I sat down to a bowl of ice cream or a bag of potato chips, I would have a different result but I am not willing to do that. I wonder what I can do but not eat junk to get the desired result?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid

Last edited by clackley; 04-19-2014 at 05:27 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
MarieD
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
Maybe you're eating too much overall? I have to limit my portions (pretty easy in keto) in order to lose weight. Conversely maybe you're not eating enough?
MarieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Thanks MarieD for your input. I am always open to suggestions and appreciate any positive suggestions.

I have been tracking my macros for quite a long time and am pretty confident that I am not over-consuming anything.

This question (profusely stated & not very specific, I belatedly realize), is about long term ketosis and the ability (or inability) to get an insulin spike without eating junk food.

This is based on the theory that it is a good thing in order to 'reset' hormones and maximize weight loss (from the book Carb Night).

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

Old 04-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
abuvia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
No personal experience w this, but FitForever posted this about carb nights one of my past threads and seems to have had success. Hope it helps!

"I do a carb night once a week and it does not kick me out of ketosis. BJJ Caveman has a wondeful site that details the impack on blood glucose and ketones from carb nights. I really like this site because my results are the same. After a carb night meal of 200-300 carb grams my next morning BG is in the mid 90's and ketones .01-.03. The next day I am back consuming less that 30 grams of carbs and the next morning my BG and ketones are back to my normal ketosis fasted state of 84-85 and .04-.08. This makes my wife happy when we go out and we share meals that include potatoes, desserts and drinks."
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Abuvia - thank you. This looks really relevant for me. I am off to read more!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
clackley
Chatty Cathy

It seems that I am firmly in ketosis despite another attempt to spike insulin. I have to say that I think it is weird but at the same time, I am quite pleased. I am going back to my normal way of eating (n.k. framework) and reevaluate.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Cathy - I think you're right - and while you were TRYING to spike your insulin, you can have the reassurance that you're safety in ketosis and might stay there in case of other blips on the radar. Might take a pizza to spike you!

May I ask what you tried to eat the second time and what your total carb count was for the day?

I look forward to reading about any other attempts that you have - I think you're probably one of the most successful long-term keto-adapted people here who eats clean, has a meter and is willing to experiment and share results. So, on behalf of the all of us, I thank you for sharing your experiences. Not to say that we will experience the same thing, but I think you're showing that once fully and LONG-TERM keto-adapted, for you, it's harder to get an insulin spike (FOR YOU), but it's a point of comparison.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I don't have any specific experience with what your going through. But, wow! Good for you for being keto adapted that long. The only thing I'd throw out there is maybe check out Maria's site. She's also keto adapted and who knows maybe making some of her 'treats' would do the trick?

Mellissa at I Breathe, I'm hungry has a twelve weeks of 'keto' menus and recipes. I don't think they are necessarily 'keto' but maybe more ketosis. Anyway, my point would be to try some new menu items and see what that does.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I consumed at about 1 cup of pistachios, a sweet potato and 2 bloody Caesars along with my standard carbs.

I felt fine again. My ketones were again 1.0 which is a tad lower than typical but not by much. I will try again next week and likely have sweet potato again and something else. Not sure what yet. Maybe some fruit?

Oh and the whole point of this is to get the scale moving and it is rock solid - like a truck stuck in the muck and not going up or down or anywhere!!!

Last edited by clackley; 04-21-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

You're tough - it'll be interesting to see what finally spikes you!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Count me too as very interested. It should would be a nice way to get the scale moving (hopefully) down.

What is a Bloody Caesar? Vodka drink?
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
EricaHV
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
What is a Bloody Caesar? Vodka drink?
I was wondering that too
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Bloody Caesar is vodka and clamato juice with a some seasons.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #14
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Bloody Caesar is vodka and clamato juice with a some seasons.
Thanks. I love Bloody Marys, or I guess I should say I used to.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I don't miss much on N.K. but I occasionally have missed Caesars when I see others having them. I decided to go for it this time given what I was trying to do. It will be another year before I will have to think about it again likely.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #16
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't miss much on N.K. but I occasionally have missed Caesars when I see others having them. I decided to go for it this time given what I was trying to do. It will be another year before I will have to think about it again likely.
I miss wine. I know I could have a glass here and there, but then what do I do with the rest of the bottle? I know what the most likely scenario would be. I don't drink at restaurants because I'm always the driver.

My 25th wedding anniversary (30 yrs together) is coming up and we will be going away, I'm thinking about a planned wine enjoyment during those 2 days.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
Silversage
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Silversage
"Leftover" wine

Hi everyone, you don't know me ~ I've been reading this message board for years for tips and information. Rarely posted though. I'm replying to the question regarding what to do with leftover wine.
A wine expert had a PBS show about 10 years ago. He said that wine freezes perfectly well. Just save your empty plastic water bottles; wash the bottle and cap with hot soapy water, rinse in hot water, then dry upside down on the dish drainer.
Pour leftover wine into the bottle using a funnel; fill just to half. Press the bottle so some of the air compresses out, leaving a gap of a couple of inches for expansion as it freezes. When you want to enjoy a glass or two at a time, remove the bottle from the freezer and thaw on the counter at room temperature. Only takes 15-20 minutes. I've been doing this all these years, and the wine tastes perfect!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Wow, silversage! What a great tip! I knew wine would freeze after the bottle I put in the freezer exploded, cork and all. I don't drink much wine because of the "leftovers". Great to have a viable option!!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Hi everyone, you don't know me ~ I've been reading this message board for years for tips and information. Rarely posted though. I'm replying to the question regarding what to do with leftover wine.
A wine expert had a PBS show about 10 years ago. He said that wine freezes perfectly well. Just save your empty plastic water bottles; wash the bottle and cap with hot soapy water, rinse in hot water, then dry upside down on the dish drainer.
Pour leftover wine into the bottle using a funnel; fill just to half. Press the bottle so some of the air compresses out, leaving a gap of a couple of inches for expansion as it freezes. When you want to enjoy a glass or two at a time, remove the bottle from the freezer and thaw on the counter at room temperature. Only takes 15-20 minutes. I've been doing this all these years, and the wine tastes perfect!
Thank you. I plan to put that info to test in the very near future.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Wow! I didn't know that!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
EricaHV
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
that is a cool tip!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #22
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Nice....I'll have to give that a try some time....

Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #23
lowcarbella
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Maybe not what u are looking for,but I have found that sometimes when I am in ketosis for a longer while,just one high carb meal(even a junk meal) won't disrurb my ketosis.If I continue high carbing the next day,I may still be in ketosis.By third day,even if I go back to NK,my ketones are off.Summary: For me at least,if I am in ketosis for a longer while,it takes more than one high carb meal to kick me out of ketosis,usually around 3-6 high carb meals in 1-2 days.

At other times,esp if I only just started out,then I find that just a bite can throw me off for several days too.Weird but it happens to me.

What is your height/age and body fat if you know it?Are you at or nearer to goal weight?

whatever you do,don't go the route of pizza/icecream/pasta and goodies.It is a very slippery slope ,from someone who has BTDT so many times.

Good luck finding what can move the scale again.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.

Last edited by lowcarbella; 04-30-2014 at 08:02 PM..
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #24
clackley
Chatty Cathy

That is interesting to know lowcarbella! I have been in ketosis since starting 4.5 yrs ago with a minor possible exception a couple of years ago when I ate something that made me sick (may not have actually kicked me out due to the 'transit time').

I first tried this using extra protein and that had no effect. I thought 80 or so grams of sweet potato etc. would do it but no. I will not do junk food. I am not sure I have given up on this but am sitting back and reflecting for a while.

Good to know it is not just me though.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #25
earthcrosser
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
This is a great tip, and most useful to me!! thanks!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #26
finallylosing
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Clackley, have you given anymore thought to the resistant starch? Lots of good reading out there on it.
I have been low carb for over two years now and have no intention of changing that however the past six months or so have not been feeling my best - extremely cold, dragging a bit, etc. So I went looking for ways to help that. Like you I tried the carb nite and couldn't find anything to spike my sugar except crap and I wasn't going there. Read a bit on resistant starch so thought I would give it a try. Have added in cold potatoes and green bananas over the past two weeks and feeling very well. No blood sugars spikes at all from the starches, sleeping fantastic and just feel more energy in general.
I know it will take some time to see the full effect and I'm not sure if I would go with the potato starch but I figured it couldn't hurt adding in real food. The news on the boards about it is that you will start to loose again, slowly but surely.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #27
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I have done some more reading on the resistant starch topic and it seems that I am already consuming it in the form of glucomannan powder and shirataki noodles (konjac). So while this is nothing new, I guess I have my answer about whether or not it will increase my losses (not).

In terms of spiking my insulin, I think I have come to understand that it doesn't happen under a one evening of higher carbs situation. It would need to be a prolonged diet (3 days or so). Not willing to go there intentionally due to other issues. This is the thing I find 'weird'.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
I have done some more reading on the resistant starch topic and it seems that I am already consuming it in the form of glucomannan powder and shirataki noodles (konjac). So while this is nothing new, I guess I have my answer about whether or not it will increase my losses (not).

In terms of spiking my insulin, I think I have come to understand that it doesn't happen under a one evening of higher carbs situation. It would need to be a prolonged diet (3 days or so). Not willing to go there intentionally due to other issues. This is the thing I find 'weird'.

Maybe you could eat more fruit in one day. That probably would kick you out. You would have to be disciplined the days after that though.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #29
Silversage
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Silversage
Back to reading through everyone's incredible information and insights. Just stopping by to say that I'm glad you enjoyed my tip! (Several days ago, my husband was looking for the bottle of wine we opened the night before. Couldn't find it, and I hear, "Hon...did you freeze the wine again?!!" )
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote