Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
tammay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
Study On Effects Of A Low Carb Vegan Diet

I haven't been to these boards in years, since becoming vegan, but I found this interesting study:

Effect of a 6-month vegan low-carbohydrate (

Thoughts?

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetogenicGurl
WOE: LC-HF-LP Plant based
Start Date: 2-1-2015
PLANT BASED LCHF DIET

TAMMAY- this is a study I will show my MD…

I've followed at plant based lower protein, low carb diet for 6 months and lost 26 pound fairly easily the first 5 months.

Then had a severe flu, wound up in the ER and haven't lost more weight since May 30. I've had my body demanding more food, and being more hungry than the first 5 months..so while I am sticking to LC, I am eating at a maintenance level as no weight has come off in 2 months.

SInce this is a long term WOE for me I am continuing until my body gets adapted, and lets go of being at this long time weight.

There are so many good option in plant based diet that meat isn't necessary for daily protein.
KetogenicGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I recently shared on FB an interview with a 98 year old cardiac surgeon who recommended a low fat vegan diet. He did say that one must take B-12 and that when he realized that he could take a pill that he went completely vegan.

He's SDA and in the Loma Linda community so probably used plenty of soy products and I think he said something about soy milk (I'll have to go back and review).

That was about 50 years ago so 'bout half his life. He said that if you keep your cholesterol very low (120 ish) that you would never have heart disease.

BUT I have read that vegan diet does not reduce ccancer risk even if it's whole food. This may be related to blood sugar.....no real answers.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Vegan LC methods

Interesting Jem..I take B51, but really don't use any soy at all…( except for testing the fritter ricotta recipe yesterday)

I ate my last $17. organic Tbone steak April 23rd..and went to plant based diet to raise my kidney function and avoid dialysis.

I am not Vegan at all as I eat eggs and lots of dairy, in fact am prolly slowing my loss by having HWC and cheese..adding Ricotta won't help..hahaha

but for my kidney health I have read 7-9 studies showing how plant foods do not stress the kidney with waste products from meat, and with one barely functioning kidney I am cautious.

got myself anemic by going too low in protein when I went vegetarian, so I am more careful now, and also started having meat 1x a week..and occasionally I miss ham, of all things.

I buy good quality boiled ham - 70 calories for 3 slices, and wrap avocado and string cheese tomato, mayo, and truly ENJOY the small amount of meat.

of course it has several salts and all sorts of stuff…but for a tiny amount it serves my purpose. ( and my VA doc can't yell at me )

I do consume a lot of hempseed…it is so versatile, and easy to add, and since I am not a good cook, and lazy it can be added easily to anything, even soup.

I was grinding the hulled seeds to powder and adding to cream cheese, now will switch to adding to Ricotta, it helps bulk out the volume, and provides clean protein at same time.
+++++++++++
conversely I bought 4 huge packs of the largest chicken breasts I have EVER seen, like turkey size! on sale at 99 cents a pound…with no bones- like thighs- only cartilage I am cooking it in the crockpot for my dog and 2 cats..perfect protein for them at super low cost! ( and the cats love chewing the cartilage so no waste. I have so much bone broth from chicken thigh bones I hated to buy more thighs, but they are always the cheapest here at 69-99 pound for my animals.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
Interesting link, Tammay - thanks. I am not doing LC vegan (far, far from it!), but I like reading all sorts of things about diet.

Going WFPB, low-fat vegan was just about the scariest thing I have ever done, diet-wise. I was so thoroughly immersed in the low-carb lifestyle, and so totally convinced that it was the only thing that ever even partially worked for me. I could not explain why after years of maintaining a low-ish weight (never ideal, but low for me), I was slowly regaining despite adhering to the diet. But I was regaining steadily no matter what I did, and I was getting desperate. I read the long thread on the Playground here about a plant-based diet. I bought the Starch Solution book, and decided it would be a change of pace to try, and I could always go back to my LC diet when it didn't work. Yes, WHEN it didn't work - I had no doubt whatsoever that eating potatoes, rice, etc would pile the weight back on me.

Instead, I lost 28 pounds in three months.

But, I haven't lost an ounce for two months!

I'm thinking my body is readjusting to this new weight, which is the lowest I've been in many years. And also, I am effortlessly maintaining the loss with no fear of getting on the scale, except if I indulge in adult beverages. Anytime I have drinks, I gain weight and it's a bear to get back off.

I'm not worried about the B12 issue. Dr. McDougall says we have a 3-year supply in our tissues, and I will sometimes eat meat. I love meat. I will go for weeks without a bit of it, but I am not what they call an "ethical" vegan, and don't mind indulging once in a while. And I use nutritional yeast which is fortified with B12.

The hardest thing about this diet, for me, was giving up cheese. Fortunately, I've found some fat[-free vegan cheeselike substances I can make that have eased me away from it. I have been using soy, too, but make sure to buy only organic and non-gmo. I make a pretty good soy yogurt in my Instant Pot.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

There's B12 in dairy so no worries for me. I have a latte in the morning, breakfast usually includes dairy and you'll always find feta, asiago and blue cheese in the fridge and I consume some daily....then there are the less constant like halloumi and parmesan (always there but not a daily thing).

I was having the occasional bacon but it made me burpy/acidy so, no more. I do like meat but just the thought of having my stomach feel so awful makes it easy to not consume. However, I do still use bone broth and chicken stock on occasion.

I have a strong aversion to eggs.

I started to lose weight soon as I reduced meat and fat....AND my stamina increased.
I used to hike and loved 'hill work' but I was losing that ability and became more winded, even a little chest pain!

I am so dramatically better.

I don't consume as much starch as when I was a vegetarian in the past. I know Mary McDougall has written about this subject.
I also noticed that MaryMary watches her portions.
It seems to be mostly women who have to watch portion....ah, well.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Jem - that is so great!

I have been consuming mass quantities of food on this diet, so portion control is definitely an issue that I may need to address if the weight doesn't start to move.

I just wanted to note that in reading that study about LC vegan, the "low fat" diet with 25% of calories coming from fat is at least 2.5 times the low-fat level of the McDougall diet - we strive for 10% or less, with all fats coming from food such as avocado and nuts, with no added refined oils. The benefits for my dh have been remarkable. His cholesterol dropped from 206 to 138, his BP is way down and his insomnia has improved. I haven't had new bloodwork done yet.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, PP, that is what I forgot to say; I CAN SLEEP! I thought it was all hormonal/menopausal for all those years.

All I needed was more carbohydrate.

I cannot tell you how happy this has made me. I had been underslept for YEARS.

I have the occasional sleepless night but not frequently at all. Those times I'm in an uncomfortable bed or am stressing over something.
I'm usually pretty successful in calming my mind but I still have the very rare night....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

When I started eating meat and reduced carbs it was not because I didn't love legumes and whole grains, but I did crave meat at times.

Still eating meat was freeing and I still ate plenty of vegies most of the time. It took some time not to revert to a vegetarian diet.

Going from meat to none was easy. Partly because of my inability to digest meat and aversion to eggs (thank you, LC), but also because of my love for plant based foods.
The variety is endless.

PP if you want to shake things up and get the weight loss going again, you might try increasing vegies to replace some starches on some days.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Not Losing on LCHF

Penguin sez: But, I haven't lost an ounce for two months!
I'm thinking my body is readjusting to this new weight, which is the lowest I've been in many years.

I am in the same boat at 10 weeks..even looks like I gained 2.4 lbs…I had convinced myself it was my longtime weight point that my body wanted to stick to. I became very hungry..only 1800_ calories kept me on LC.. and that is 400-500 more than my 1400 LC diet.
I am NOW trying a Egg fast for 5 days..and will see.
But my MD yesterday pointed out some metabolic issues, active liver giving me a high FBG, but OK post meals.

But today at Day 3 off egg fast my FBG was 103..lowest since I began testing in April!

SO it may be that this egg fast will help me eliminate what I am doing wrong inside LC (lots of HWC, too many berries, etc) I am EVEN starting to like BPC vs my butter+ HWC coffee. also consuming very little sweetener aka Stevia.truvia…

most people who egg fast gain half the loss back by overeating LC foods right away..am going to go slow on adding foods in again.

Even if I do not lost 10 pounds in 10 days, etc..I am hoping this is going to effect my body to get going on loss again.

no mater what I am stucking to LC
Old 08-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 205
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone. I occasionally have fish if I go to a restaurant, but stopped eating mammals. I eat out maybe 5-6 times a year. Also, I am allergic to all dairy except greek yogurt. That was the hardest to eliminate until I found I could whip up tofu and add pumpkin w/ spices for the same effect.

Because I lost my sense of smell in the accident last year, when I cooked bacon in Sept, I realized it wasn't the bacon as much as the smell if it cooking. When you can't smell it, it looses its appeal. I can only taste sweet, salt, hot and lemon. As long as that is in or on whatever I am eating I am ok.

My pcp is a vegan but says it's not a religion. I have tried eggs a couple times over the last couple years, and it was ok but there are plant based proteins I like just as well or more. I eat about 25-30% fat, 20-25% protein and 45-50% carb of which a good chunk is fiber. While losing, I was eating 1200-1400 cal a day with the portions I needed. As I got to maintenance, I added in one item a month to reach my ideal weight, now eating 1600-1800 cal day. I splurge on occasion but don't entertain the thought of eating white sugar or white flour.

💐🌺🌹🌸🌷🌼🌻🍀🚴
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Wow MaryMary what a success story! Congratulations on all you've accomplished. I am trying to imagine losing my sense of taste and can't even fathom it. We don't eat white flour or sugar either. And like your pcp we are eating vegan but it's no religion for us, I fully expect that there will be times when we'll dive into a steak or some sort of dairy, but we're keeping a pretty tight rein on those things for now - just a few deviations.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Egg Fasts & losing taste

Hi all..I am really pleased at how simple using the egg fast is for elimination diet too.
LOST 4.1 pounds in 4 days so far..most of it is water as I was at the lower weight, then 'gained' even though I was not eating too many calories to account for 3ln gain.

so ONE pound loss in my 6.5th month of low carb, for a total of 27.3 is fine!

I can see I was over consuming fruit ( even only berries was too much) and heavy cream..both of these are warned off for women on LC.

I was ALREADY eating a diet like an egg. fast.. a HB egg after morning coffee..2 cheese sticks while out walking the dog…so will be careful to add in veggies and cream slower when I stop the fast.

LOSING TASTE…OMG this is the world's worst non-painful events. I had a short term issue a year ago..I was so miserable..close my eyes and any food could be eating corn stalks and rocks…so texture became important, and heat or cold. It was EASY to avoid carbs as I tasted none of it.

I actually cried when I had a hot grilled cheese and tomato soup (pre LC diet) and could taste none of it..my favorite comfort foods ..gone.

thankfully the taste came back a week later, but I have total empathy for anyone suffering from this
Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #14
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: healthy lower carb
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Great thread, and I realize I'm late to the party, but I have a question.

Quote:
penguinpower Going WFPB, low-fat vegan was just about the scariest thing I have ever done, diet-wise. I was so thoroughly immersed in the low-carb lifestyle, and so totally convinced that it was the only thing that ever even partially worked for me. I could not explain why after years of maintaining a low-ish weight (never ideal, but low for me), I was slowly regaining despite adhering to the diet. But I was regaining steadily no matter what I did, and I was getting desperate. I read the long thread on the Playground here about a plant-based diet. I bought the Starch Solution book, and decided it would be a change of pace to try, and I could always go back to my LC diet when it didn't work. Yes, WHEN it didn't work - I had no doubt whatsoever that eating potatoes, rice, etc would pile the weight back on me.
That is exactly how I feel. In my mind, I think the WFPB is the healthiest diet. But when I start gaining a few pounds I get scared and reverse to LC. Recently had some medical issues I don't want to ignore, so I want to give it a go again. May I ask PP what do you eat? I go back and forth on this subject, and I hate not sticking to one program.

I have read McDougall's wed page and some of his discussion board. It interest me. I would have to do portions to make it work for me.

TIA to PP or anyone who wants to share what they really eat. I don't do dairy. But I do eat soy.........
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #15
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

It is a leap of faith, saltnpepper!

But, I have to say, despite being SO SURE I would gain weight, I began losing immediately on the diet, and have not gained at all despite eating mass quantities of food. I lost steadily for four months. I'm not currently losing, which I attribute to the volume of food I eat, but also to the high level of fruit I've been consuming. It has been literally years since I ate fruit in anything over a bite or two, and I guess I am just going a little crazy with it right now. I know this will end when summer fruit is gone and blah tasteless winter stuff is all that's available, so I'm not worrying about it for now. And, I truly believe it is a good thing that I'm maintaining - I almost feel like my body is training itself to establish a new, lower setpoint.

As to what I eat, lately it's looked like this:

B: A smoothie, that I split with my husband - my share of it comes to about 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 banana, about a cup of whatever fruit I'm in the mood for, a squirt of mio black cherry, a little tube of wyler's raspberry drink mix, a tsp. chia seeds, 1/4 tsp of gluc powder, a couple of prunes, a cup or so of ice, all blended up. This makes an enormous amount that is like a milkshake and keeps me full all morning.

L: I alternate among starches, such as rice, potatoes, barley etc. - about 1 cup of starch, topped with a whole package of cooked frozen veggies (12 to 16 oz), if I'm really hungry a half cup of cooked beans, and then I ladle something like salsa, or Qdoba copycat soup, or WW 0 Point soup over top of it. I had to buy special bowls to hold this 'cause it's a lot!

D: Usually a big salad, then dinner will be a plate consisting of half starch, and half veggies. Sometimes this is just plain starch and veggies, but more often I'll make curries or stir fries or things like that and keep the proportions.

I snack on fruit whenever I want it. I always keep cooked potatoes and hummus made up in case I want something. I don't eat bread or pasta very often. When I do eat bread (loving avocado and tomato sandwiches right now), I use Ezekial bread and split it down the middle so one slice makes a sandwich. If I have that, I also have a big salad with it. I make my own yogurt and condiments. I use NO added oil in anything. My husband likes baked goods so I always have some cookies or cake around for him - fortunately, I am not drawn to those and would rather have fruit right now.

I do eat soy. I make my own soymilk from organic beans, and make the yogurt from that. We eat tofu now and then. I love edamame. I don't worry about gluten. I buy organic when it's reasonably priced, but don't worry about it when I find a bargain (such as Aldi's 49-cent avocados this week). I make a lot of dishes with greens and mushrooms to bulk up quantity. I don't eat any processed vegetarian alternative foods such as faux meats or fake cheese. I don't eat commercial chips or crackers, but will bake up an oil-free corn tortilla and break it into chips if I'm in the mood for chips and salsa. I do indulge in pretzels once in a while - I get the whole wheat or pumpernickle ones and do limit myself on those because I could eat a whole bag without missing a beat.

I would strongly recommend reading McDougall's "Starch Solution" book, and if you read in another threads on this board I posted a link where you can get the pdf version for free.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

THANK you for posting such a nice response.

Quote:
It is a leap of faith, saltnpepper!
I think I'm about ready to jump.

No meat for a few days, did have some tuna.... mixed with a can of chick peas, anyway. I'm going to explore the starch diet, and will look for the book link.

I love your menu, I'm not a smoothie gal - and I drink coffee. Not going to give up. Yet anyway. LOL

PP you mentioned so many ideals for food..... you make it sound easy.

Thanks again, I'm printing out your menu!!

Anna
Old 08-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I drink coffee, as well, and have vowed never to give it up again....you never know, though.

Macrobiotics was really low fat..not even avos or nut butters. Maybe a bit of tahini but not much. Seeds were only for seasoning or almonds sprinkled on a dessert occasionally.

It was not enough for me, I discovered. I begin to salivate if I saw a fatty pork roast in someone's shopping cart. Never did s/b chicken breast or pork loin appeal to me....just fat.
EVOO really fills the bill nicely, now. I am determined not to repeat my previous mistakes and, amazingly, I don't seem to want anything that used to send me into a binge....crazy.

PP, I love avo toast with red pepper flakes and tomato.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #18
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

I still drink coffee, just don't enjoy it as much without cream lol. I used to drink 2 or 3 cups a day, but now I only drink one. And I still drink one wild cherry diet pepsi a day. It can be easy saltnpepper, and if you like to keep things simple it's easy to do. We were about an hour away from home for a meeting yesterday that took longer than expected, so we were starving by 2:30 when it broke up, and we went to Golden Corral. I had the best lunch - I made a big salad, and then they had these huge baked potatoes, I split one open and topped it with steamed broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, and a bunch of pico di gallo over it all. It was so pretty! And as I was walking past the meat station to get to my seat, one of the other diners said "dang, that looks good" to me. And it was really good.

It's funny you mention pork roast, jem - I know I will be going off plan over labor day weekend when my brother has his annual pig roast!

One thing that has helped a lot is the Instant Pot - I have that thing going all the time. It's so easy to make rice, potatoes and veggies in it.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm still drinking coffee, and a diet rootbeer if I want it.

For me just cutting down on meat (haven't had any in a couple of days) has been good. Because I add in veggies.

PP I found your link to Starch Solution. Thank you. I didn't have time to read much this week end, and this week will be very busy. BUT I will get to it. Not sure I could do that much starch, but it has been nice hearing McDougall stating the benefits of starch. kwim

It will be slower changes for me. I've tried to do this before and I failed big time. I want to do it right this time.

I too will have company for Labor Day. I'm sure we will BBQ, I will make extra sides and eat very little meat. That's the plan.

Thanks again for all the infor and ideals.

Anna

ps, what did help was a peanut butter sandwich this week-end. I know pb is not on the McDougall plan. That's to bad I really enjoyed it.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #20
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

PB may not be McDougall but really a good protein replacement. I think that it came from Seventh Day Adventists starting with peanut flour then peanut paste (peanut butter) a little later. Peanuts have a lot of antioxidants, as well.
PB was the main protein replacement back in the day.

As far as the nut/legume argument; there are only a few true nuts (filberts, chestnuts, acorns.....) so that argument is worthless.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

PB is okay in small quantities - it's the fat content that's not good in McDougall. Many of his recipes include a bit of PB. The "rule of thumb" is fat content shouldn't be more than 10% of total calories, so if you can balance it out with lots of 0 fat veggies, it's not a problem. Lots of McDougallers pour off the oil from the top of natural peanut butter to keep the fat % down. I'm not a fanatic on the oil, and make a lot of dishes with peanut sauce on the side, or small amounts in the dish (I posted a spinach stew here on the site that is awesome), and will sometimes use PB2 powder.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #22
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi, thanks for the information on pb.

I'm still doing pb sandwich for lunch. It's just working.... I use toast so with warm bread I don't use to much pb.

Anyway, no time to read right now, so I'm sorta of doing this the best that I can. LOL I have been waking about 30 minutes every day and listening to Dr McDougall talks. Makes me want to walk more.

Quote:
jem51 PB may not be McDougall but really a good protein replacement. I think that it came from Seventh Day Adventists
that is cool. I have read how healthy they are as a group.

Loving all the fruit and veggies....but sort of hard on the tummy.

Plus I have company coming for 4 days, I'm sure we will grill and make real blueberry pancakes at some point. I'm not going to worry about it and just eat a little as I stated earlier.

Do you all have plans for the week-end?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

We've been invited to several picnics but unfortunately all for the same day - and none are close enough to stop by on our way to somewhere else. So we'll just be going to my brother's for his annual pig roast. I plan to have whatever I feel like having that day. I'm still not sure what I'm going to take as my food contribution. Other than that day, I'll just be eating as usual.

If I was having company for four days, I wouldn't stress over food. Just enjoy your company!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, just a quick up date. Company stayed longer than planned, but had a great time with friends and food. Stayed on (my) plan pretty well, some turkey and brownies.

Anyway, going to keep on this track - hoping for some heath benefits.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

A local guy was written up in the newspaper re his diet change after a heart attack. This guy and his wife live waaayyyy out and ranch so were eating from the land and farm, basically feeling that they were living a healthy lifestyle.

So he ended up with stents, etc and a doc recommended C. Esselstyn diet which they jumped right on and never looked back.

Not being familiar with Esselstyn, I had to research. I found it interesting that in his original study he allowed non fat milk/yogurt and the results were positive. But his recommendations flatly state no dairy. I cannot find anything that shows why he made that decision. This is just an observation.....

So further poking around brought me to Dr. Gourmet (don't remember his name), who is into Mediterranean diet.....not necessarily whole food, judging from the recipes, but not processed food.
His site is full of just about every study you ever wanted to read and probably way too many and, of course, his opinion.

One of my big questions has been; When was it decided that fat in the form of say, EVOO was unhealthy.
The Greeks have always been big users of EVOO (climate is perfect for olives) and they are the people who have the longest life without disease....or at least this was true before a more Americanized (meat, fast food) diet became available.

I am just trying to understand how this complete lack of fat became the recommendation....
None of the 'Blue Zones' eat a fat free diet and really they never obsess about food. Even the SDA group just eat what they eat. They may obsess a little when changing from flesh just because of the adjustment.

Still looking.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #26
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 205
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Jan 2001
Jem, the greeks actually ate olives. There is nourishment in the olives. The nutritional value is is nearly non existent otherwise. I read if you want fat in your diet stick to seeds and nuts. Flaxseed meal made the difference in a study between all fiet types when it came to heart disease.

I find that if you do a relatively low carb diet, as soon as you introduce empty calories back in, the weight comes back on. Empty meaning white stuff, sugars, grains,alcohol, etc.

If you want the carbs you need to eat a relatively low fat diet. Carbs here are not the empty ones either but from veggies, fruits, grains, nuts legumes and seeds.

It is very hard to have it both ways.

💐🌺🌹🌸🌷🌼🌻🍀🚴
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #27
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the response Mary.

Actually, OO goes back to ancient Greece. I think the Cretes were the first to press it in early BC.

Oil in general has been around for a long time; Native Americans started boiling hazel nuts for oil something like 4000 years ago.

When LC'ers started talking about how particular fats were toxic, I started researching. It is pretty amazing, the whole history.......What's really amazing is the trouble humans would go to in order to create oil, although, OO is the easiest.

I think you're right about making a choice, especially if you're eating mostly starch (as in starch solution).

It seems that countries where longevity and robust health are common, people eat a combination but, don't tend to over eat.....usually. AND meat consumption is minimal.
I love reading about these little nook and hoods (not talking about individuals that seem to have done it like you hear about in this country, but entire communities).
Old 11-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #28
K8Ginger
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: K8Ginger
Stats: 260/260/130
WOE: Atkins/Bernstein
Start Date: 12/27/14
Low Carb Vegan/Vegetarian for Kidneys

Ketogenicgurl was discussing going veggie for kidney health. I posted a few weeks ago regarding my kidneys. I have been maintaining around 45 GFR level which is CKD stage 3 for several years. My kidney function suddenly dropped to 28. I went on vegan/vegetarian immediately. I call myself a veeg-a-tarian since I do have cheese on occasion but try to do vegan. In two weeks, my kidney function went back up to 43. I get tested again in December and I am hoping so much that it will improve some more.

I was looking for low carb vegan on the internet and it is limited. Not as many great recipes as I had hoped for. I went back on this site and found the vegetarian section. I'm so pleased to have found this site.

I tried the low carb WOE but my doctor wants me to limit my protein among some other things. I too became very weak. I see that people are suggesting increasing protein to help with the weakness. In the case with kidney disease, it does strain the kidneys per my Nephrologist. It appears to be OK for those that have healthy kidneys.

I am a cheese lover and found this site: cookingwithplants.com It has great, easy cheese recipes made with nuts or alternative milks. I love one recipe made with sesame seeds, miso, green onions, and water. lt is mixed up and makes a wonderful dip for dipping veggies or pork rinds. Most of her recipes are easy and not a lot of ingredients. Just what I need with my busy schedule.

If anyone has any veggie recipes they especially like, please point me in the right direction.

Wow, I can't go back in time, but I see that taking care of myself would have been so much easier :-)
K8Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #29
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

K8G, I see you have Bernstein listed. Are you diabetic? That's a kidney killer but keeping the function even at a lower than desired level will keep you away from dialysis.

My FIL passed away at 92 recently and had been living with GFR of 40's for years. He had a kidney cancer, as well.

It is difficult to eat vegan LC but certainly possible. It is also possible to have a higher level of carb and still control carbs.
I believe strongly in nutrient dense food and that Joel Fuhrman's food pyramid is a good recommendation.

I eat dairy, although, naturally less as time goes by but don't plan to quit....really don't want to and also don't want that 'bad food' category except for the obvious like sugar, whites and just too many grain products.

If you look through some of the more recent threads, you'll find some of the recipes we've tried.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #30
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Another good site is Vegangela for vegan recipes.

Thanks for the link you posted, K8Ginger.

Would juicing help you at all? There are some great just vegetable juice recipes out there. Check out Reboot with Joe if you are interested in juicing.

Good to see you here again.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote