Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
smith13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
Gallery: smith13
What the heck is going on???? Need help!

So I have done Atkins 3 or 4 times before and never had an issue losing weight especially in the first 2 weeks. Usually I will drop about 10 pounds.

Started about 3 weeks ago with induction. Within 4 days I was in the darkest red on a keto strip and I'm still in ketosis as I have stuck to under 20 grams of carbs a day.

But here I am 3 weeks later and haven't dropped an ounce and haven't lost any inches in the mid section. Also I feel bloated just about every day.

I did start lifting weights but I have started out very light as to not get too sore. Just like to get going for a few weeks before I start loading up the heavy weights.

Now I'm not looking to give up just yet as I really want to make a lifestyle change to low carb for good but I need some ideas as to why I'm not losing anything yet?

As for food I'm sticking to meats, eggs and cheese. Also still drinking coke zero but never had a problem with that before and I am eating some of the Atkins bars and candies. Also never had issues with those before.

So any ideas or advice??
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Aitch
Senior LCF Member
 
Aitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bucks UK
Posts: 122
Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
There are several things that could cause this. Are you male or female?
Are you eating any veg?
Drinking lots of water?
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
MtherGoos
Major LCF Poster!
 
MtherGoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,917
Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Honestly, I'd drop the Atkins bars and candies. Keep it clean with your meats, eggs, cheese, and fats and ditch the rest for now. Once you're losing, you can slowly add things back in to find what your body can tolerate.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
jhbyrd
Senior LCF Member
 
jhbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 522
Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
How much Atkins bars/candy are you eating, try to keep it to one a day. If I eat more it will stall me. I only eat one if I feel a craving for something sweet maybe 1 or two a week. But we all are different and make sure to eat your veggies!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
franciejones
Senior LCF Member
 
franciejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: MID-CONTINENT, USA
Posts: 112
Gallery: franciejones
Stats: Started over/not weighing at this point
WOE: LCHF
Drop all the fake sugar. If nothing happens in a couple weeks..you can always go back to them
__________________
Starting over
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
smith13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
Gallery: smith13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbyrd View Post
How much Atkins bars/candy are you eating, try to keep it to one a day. If I eat more it will stall me. I only eat one if I feel a craving for something sweet maybe 1 or two a week. But we all are different and make sure to eat your veggies!!

Jeannie
1 bar per day and once in awhile a peanut butter cup one after dinner
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
smith13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
Gallery: smith13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
There are several things that could cause this. Are you male or female?
Are you eating any veg?
Drinking lots of water?
Male

Yes but only lettuce and mini tomatoes

Yes
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
smith13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
Gallery: smith13
Also I am staying at 2000 calories or less every day. So I'm really stumped.
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
emily1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: White Rock, BC
Posts: 124
Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/141.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
I tried doing the atkins bars, I wouldn't gain weight but I wouldn't lose an ounce either. I agree you gotta eliminate the diet coke and def the Atkins bars especially ( even if they say that they can be used during phase 1). I don't mean to offend any atkin's bars lovers out there but they use some pretty deceptive labelling and sugar alcohols are not what this plan is all about. Some people also end up gaining weight on these bars. For you lucky ones who can eat these and still lose weight...man you are lucky!
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
smith13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
Gallery: smith13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1 View Post
I tried doing the atkins bars, I wouldn't gain weight but I wouldn't lose an ounce either. I agree you gotta eliminate the diet coke and def the Atkins bars especially ( even if they say that they can be used during phase 1). I don't mean to offend any atkin's bars lovers out there but they use some pretty deceptive labelling and sugar alcohols are not what this plan is all about. Some people also end up gaining weight on these bars. For you lucky ones who can eat these and still lose weight...man you are lucky!
But I never had a problem before with diet coke and Atkins bars. It's just weird that I'm not losing anything at all.
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
snowangel9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boise
Posts: 3,075
Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
first of all. I had the same thing happen to me. Started on Maria Emmerich's plan and lost 5 lbs in a month. Got a lot of ideas of what it could be. Found a ND, turns out it was my thyroid. Might want to have that checked.

Also, sometimes when we restart, we think we know what we are doing, because we've done it before, right? I know I'm guilty of that. A good idea would be to go back and read the book. Refresh your idea of what you should be doing.
__________________
Freedom isn't free

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #12
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mimosa23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,406
Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/175.3/158
WOE: in NK heaven!
When your ketostix are that dark, it is a sign of dehydration. This can lead to water retention, and thus no weightloss.

I highly recommend that you drink more. This was the first thing that really stood out for me from your post. How much exactly are you drinking?

I would also drop all the fake foods, and stick with natural foods.
Also, are you eating fats with your meats, eggs and cheese? And adding a little unrefined salt? You need salt if you are in ketosis, and unless your Dr has told you not to add salt, you can add some.

Also, just because you never had issues before with artificial foods (bars, candies, diet drinks for example) does not mean you don't have issues with them now. Drop them for a month and see if this helps.

Is the meat and cheese you eat highly processed? I.e: pepperoni, salami, bacon, ham, cheese slices.... These can stall too. You should eat these kind of foods in moderation, and definitely drink enough to flush out the sodium, nitrates, dextrose and whatnot.

Cheese is another known staller for some people. Try only eating up to 3-4 oz per day total of cheese. It may help too.

There can be hidden carbs in all store bought ready made products like mayo, salad dressings, spreads, dips, etc. Please make sure you read the labels carefully before buying them.

I highly recommend keeping a food (and drink) diary with exact quantities. It may help you identify where you are getting stuck.

Also, we don't lose weight steadily, and your body may hold on to water weight before another whoosh.

I also second what snowangel9 says: go back and read the book, you may find you are missing something that could help you in your journey!
__________________
Do as I say, not do as I do... DEFINITELY not do as I do!!!

female, 39y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Member of Bembo's Bits challenge 12th May - 10th June!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 AM   #13
luckymuma
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia :)
Posts: 279
Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
When your ketostix are that dark, it is a sign of dehydration. This can lead to water retention, and thus no weightloss.

I highly recommend that you drink more. This was the first thing that really stood out for me from your post. How much exactly are you drinking?

I would also drop all the fake foods, and stick with natural foods.
Also, are you eating fats with your meats, eggs and cheese? And adding a little unrefined salt? You need salt if you are in ketosis, and unless your Dr has told you not to add salt, you can add some.

Also, just because you never had issues before with artificial foods (bars, candies, diet drinks for example) does not mean you don't have issues with them now. Drop them for a month and see if this helps.

Is the meat and cheese you eat highly processed? I.e: pepperoni, salami, bacon, ham, cheese slices.... These can stall too. You should eat these kind of foods in moderation, and definitely drink enough to flush out the sodium, nitrates, dextrose and whatnot.

Cheese is another known staller for some people. Try only eating up to 3-4 oz per day total of cheese. It may help too.

There can be hidden carbs in all store bought ready made products like mayo, salad dressings, spreads, dips, etc. Please make sure you read the labels carefully before buying them.

I highly recommend keeping a food (and drink) diary with exact quantities. It may help you identify where you are getting stuck.

Also, we don't lose weight steadily, and your body may hold on to water weight before another whoosh.

I also second what snowangel9 says: go back and read the book, you may find you are missing something that could help you in your journey!


Only thing I would add is that each time you restart low carb, it can take a little longer for your body to really get into the swing. How many years have last since your first attempt? My first attempt was like 11 or so years ago, and the weightloss then was astounding...now 11years and three kids later...the loss is there but it is slooooooow!
__________________
18.4kg ( 40.4lbs) less of me so far!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #14
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,695
Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
You are older....things change, unfortunately!
__________________
Do or don't do, there is no try-Yoda

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Aomiel
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,606
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Couldn't have said it better. Also, which Atkins plan are you following? I didn't know any of them allow things like the bars during induction.

KISS principle...eat 'clean'. Get rid of the artificial sweeteners, bars, etc. Eat proteins and non-starchy vegies.

I know some people don't count calories or carbs but I always recommend they do...particularly if they aren't losing. By keeping a record, you may find you're eating more carbs than you thought or perhaps you're just eating too many calories.

In the past, I could go on Atkins and drop weight very quickly, even while eating 2300+ calories per day. Now, I can't eat more than 1500-1600 just to maintain my 140 lbs.

Then just be patient. Expectations are the biggest reason most people go back to their old way of eating.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
julieboolie
Blabbermouth!!!
 
julieboolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sunny AZ
Posts: 6,206
Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/24%BF-157lbs/150lbs 20-22%BF
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith13 View Post
So I have done Atkins 3 or 4 times before and never had an issue losing weight especially in the first 2 weeks. Usually I will drop about 10 pounds.

Started about 3 weeks ago with induction. Within 4 days I was in the darkest red on a keto strip and I'm still in ketosis as I have stuck to under 20 grams of carbs a day.

But here I am 3 weeks later and haven't dropped an ounce and haven't lost any inches in the mid section. Also I feel bloated just about every day.

I did start lifting weights but I have started out very light as to not get too sore. Just like to get going for a few weeks before I start loading up the heavy weights.

Now I'm not looking to give up just yet as I really want to make a lifestyle change to low carb for good but I need some ideas as to why I'm not losing anything yet?

As for food I'm sticking to meats, eggs and cheese. Also still drinking coke zero but never had a problem with that before and I am eating some of the Atkins bars and candies. Also never had issues with those before.

So any ideas or advice??
Each time we "restart" Atkins I find it tougher to lose weight again. Keeping it clean and homemade will help, plenty of water, and more veggies help a lot! Some irregularity and bloating could be involved too. And of course, the weight lifting, even lightly will make water retention happen.
How much do you have to lose? Are you sore from your workouts? If you have less to lose, it'll be much harder too.

Good luck to you!! I hope you are hanging in there and doing well.
__________________
Julie
Prov. 3:5-6 - "He shall direct (my) paths"
Daily updates in my journal.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post17065682
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
clackley
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 9,598
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
How much protein are you consuming? This can be a problem for some.
__________________
Cathy
Original start - Feb. 2000 180/125

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!


"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
shaunbeatscarbs
Junior LCF Member
 
shaunbeatscarbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 39
Gallery: shaunbeatscarbs
Stats: 24/18/12
WOE: low-carb
Start Date: March 26, 2010
I'm having the same problem! I've had major success before but nothing this time. So weird. I upped my water and cleaned up my food/drink as much as possible (I drink diet coke and use atkins products too, but i did before also) We'll see what happens! I can't stop because regardless of the scale being a turd, I only feel good when I'm off sugar.
shaunbeatscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
JennyP
Senior LCF Member
 
JennyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: further down the spiral
Posts: 142
Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 306/293/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: March 2013
Nobody's asked, but have you been experiencing constipation?
JennyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2015 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.