Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
killerblues
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: killerblues
Stats: 162/148/140 5'9"
WOE: atkins (ish)
Start Date: a long time ago
Diamond Deb ~ tell me about liquid magnesium please

You said it has really helped you with energy etc. Can you tell me when you take it, how you take it, and what you've noticed?

Thanks in advance.

c

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Midnight Blue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight Blue
WOE: Moderate carbs
I would be interested to hear about it too, from a first-hand perspective.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Bluqq
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: 112/101/100
Start Date: 11/24/05
Hmm
Jesus wept John 11:35
September 11, 2001
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Ah, my magic potion! This is the one I'd take to a desert island.

I struggled with chronic fatigue (not related to being tired from lack of sleep or lots of activity) for years and was trying to figure out the cause so I could correct it. I had corrected Vitamin D3 & B12 deficiencies without any relief from the fatigue. A magnesium blood test is not usually helpful; it rarely shows deficiency because most of our magnesium is not stored in the blood. If you have a blood test showing you are deficient you have a very severe deficiency.

I'd been supplementing magnesium for years but always in capsules. I never saw any noticeable benefits. My research led me to realize I probably never absorbed or used much of it. I almost broke Google, reading hour after hour, day after day, about the benefits of magnesium (I'm convinced that almost everyone can benefit by supplementing it) and finally decided to try the liquid form because it is so small that it is absorbed right away with 99% of it actually being used by our bodies.

The liquid form also does not cause bathroom problems so anyone interested in relieving constipation should stick with the pills. That "relief" side effect is a result of magnesium not being absorbed at all.

There are a lot of different forms and some very expensive brands in tiny 2oz bottles. I found Good State to have the most economical liquid ionic magnesium. It comes in an 8oz bottle containing 96 1/2t servings & costs $18.95. It can be purchased through Amazon but I suggest using GS's site because they offer free S&H and you earn credits toward money off, an added bonus.

As hard as I tried I could find no info stating "Take this amount." There is no one correct dose to take. It is based on individual need. The dosages for pills/capsules are based on other ingredients added & the fact that much of it is not going to be used because it is destroyed by our digestive systems. from what I read, our bodies can react negatively if you start a high amount all of a sudden so it is best to start with one dose for a few days or a week & then increase slowly if you feel the need.

I'm currently adding 1/2 teaspoon Good State Natural Ionic Magnesium to a tall glass of water 3 times per day. I take one before/with breakfast, one late afternoon/before dinner, and one before bed.

I was taking a fourth dose & really think that would be a little better for me but I am OK with 3 & it saves a bit of money. Three keeps the fatigue away & I actually feel like getting things done. I'm positive I am getting many other benefits but I am so happy to have the fatigue gone I don't look further than that.

Magnesium is so very important to our bodies & can help with so many things (seriously, the list is long & will surprise you); I highly recommend researching it so you have an idea what it might help you with and so you can watch to see if those things improve. There is a ton of info out there. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, is a leader in this area. She has some books on magnesium but all came out before liquid magnesium was available so they do not address it though they do have other good info.

I really feel that magnesium is the answer to many health problems. There is no money for big pharma & doctors are mostly uneducated on it so most people have no idea there might be a simple solution for their health concerns.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
GirlKickinIt
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GirlKickinIt
Stats: I can't get no...satisfaction!!
Start Date: 9/20/2001
DiamondDeb, I've been taking this magnesium since you suggested it in another thread...and I've just gotta fully agree with everything you've written here about it and your experience. Thank you so much for sharing your findings and the outlet that you order your Magnesium from.
I found a book at my library called "The Magnesium Miracle". Such a wealth of information in that little book!! I also agree, most folks probably NEED to add the Magnesium to their diets. And then there's those of us who are highly deficient. I am/was one of those. Probably not so much now, thanks to this liquid ionic I'm taking!!
I feel calmer throughout the day, more alert, more energy, and I sleep much better at night.
I've just started my Husband on this as well. He's at the low dose stage of this, of course, but he's already noticed an improvement in his sleeping and in muscle cramps/spasms.
I think it's just Wonderful, and like you...I feel it's a must have if ever stranded on that desert island!!
Thank you a bozillian times over!!
GirlKickinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Midnight Blue
Senior LCF Member

I am going to do this. I am tired almost all the time and buckets of coffee help me survive, but that's all I'm doing. I would rather feel real energy and be able to enjoy my waking hours.

Thank you DiamondDeb, for sharing your experience!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
bobbi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bobbi
Timely thread. I've been thinking I need to add Magnesium to my regimen. I've ordered some and will see if the library has the book.
bobbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
killerblues
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much. I'm going to start tonight.

I really appreciate all of this information.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Bluqq
Major LCF Poster!

I ordered it. I will be hooked if its like your oil cleansing
September 11, 2001
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
sweetpoison
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 230/230/160
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/13/2015
Can you overdose on the liquid kind?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Can you overdose on the liquid kind?
It would be very difficult to from what I have read. Our bodies don't store magnesium the way we do some other nutrients. That is also why it should be taken throughout the day rather than all at once.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
DiamondDeb

I hope everyone trying it gets great results! Be sure to let us know!

I will say it won't make up for a good 8 hours of sleep but I have found myself able to function very well a few times even when I got way too little shut-eye.

It won't make up for other vitamin deficiencies you might have but it does help with the absorption of some, like calcium. New research suggests that magnesium may be more important for our bone health that calcium is, too. And they work synergistically.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
W.Jones
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: W.Jones
Stats: 210/ 183/129
WOE: The I gotta feel better / make it stop diet
Start Date: As soon as my feet hit the floor
Thanks so much for this info. My doc has tried to increase me to 4 times a day due to my low levels. I refused because I stayed in the loo. He attempted to stress how important it was for the complete uptake of my immuno drugs but its been a huge trade off for me.

I'm ordering this tonight, again THANK YOU so much for this testimonial. Knowing the depth of your research for anything you put in your body I totally trust you on this.
When you come to the edge of all light you have known and are about to step off into darkness, Faith is knowing one of two things will happen ... There will be something to stand on or you will be taught how to fly.
W.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Purrgirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Interesting.

A FB friend (former LCF) recently mentioned how Magnesium has helped her. Two of the benefits she noticed was lower BP and was less anxious.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
lalabella
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lalabella
WOE: very low carb
just ordered some! DH has high blood pressure and asthma, sleep apnea, fatigue... all kinds of stuff that he isn't treating (wont go to the dr.) ugh. And I have depression and fatigue. Vit. D. deficiency that I'm treating, also started taking fish oil which has helped lots with other stuff going on.

THANK YOU!!! will update as we try it out!!
lalabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
Midnight Blue
Senior LCF Member

I would love to have my Mom try this too, but am worried about how it would interact with her blood pressure meds. I wonder if a pharmacist could tell me if it would be ok? She has had a very difficult time controlling her bp for most of her adult life, and as far as I know, she's never supplemented her magnesium.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #17
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/182.5/158
WOE: in NK heaven!
I am subbing to this thread. I agree with everything Deb says!

I can't buy that specific brand here in germany, but I buy magnesium chloride (the natural stuff from a salt lake in Hungary) and take that as a liquid twice a day. I also take magnesium citrate, and use this for regulation of my bowel movements.

I have also started using magnesium oil and magnesium butter (both homemade) to take advantage of the optimal absobtion of transdermal magnesium supplementation.
Occasionally I'll sit in a dead sea salt/ epsom salt bath as well.

I've only just started this regime, so I can't tell you about any definite improvements yet. I do feel more alert and calmer at the same time, and my sleep is nice and restful.

female, 39y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Member of Bembo's Bits challenge 12th May - 10th June!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #18
bee_a_queen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bee_a_queen
Stats: 297/185/175
WOE: Via Mouth and obviously too often lately
Start Date: Dec,1 2003
It is 5:30 a.m. And I am thankful I can go eat brekkie at Cracker Barrel. Because goodness knows i have not slept. I struggle with icky OTC and prescribed sleeping meds and I just want a normal schedule. I never freaking sleep! But I want to! So....trying a new deal. If it works I will be so thankful! After I go eat French toast I am going to buy some magnesium. I already do b12, d3 and potassium. Why not add another?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/182.5/158
WOE: in NK heaven!
Bee, please be aware that you should not take potassium and magnesium together (at the moment, I only have a link to a German article. Will see if I can find it in English). You are better off taking one in the morning, and the other at night. That is, if you really want to take both. You may just only need the magnesium...

female, 39y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Member of Bembo's Bits challenge 12th May - 10th June!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
rose1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I am subbing to this thread. I agree with everything Deb says!

I can't buy that specific brand here in germany, but I buy magnesium chloride (the natural stuff from a salt lake in Hungary) and take that as a liquid twice a day. I also take magnesium citrate, and use this for regulation of my bowel movements.

I have also started using magnesium oil and magnesium butter (both homemade) to take advantage of the optimal absobtion of transdermal magnesium supplementation.
Occasionally I'll sit in a dead sea salt/ epsom salt bath as well.

I've only just started this regime, so I can't tell you about any definite improvements yet. I do feel more alert and calmer at the same time, and my sleep is nice and restful.
How do you make your oil/butter? Any particular recipe?

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
yes, Also curious about the magnesium Butter. Is it just like whipped butter with the magnesium liquid drizzled in to form a spread?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
DiamondDeb

Mimosa, I'd love to hear more about home-made magnesium oil & butter, too. I've read about oils but not how to make them.

Is the butter similar to a moisturizing body butter but with magnesium chloride mixed in?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
DiamondDeb

BTW, Good State has very good CS & very fast, in my experience, shipping. They usually ship the same day as you order.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
killerblues
Major LCF Poster!

I started yesterday at dinner time and took it again at bedtime. I took it four times today (using DiamondDeb's example). I've not noticed any difference, but I'm suffering from allergies and just have felt 'off' for weeks now. On the plus side, no bad side effects at all. I feel fine, except for allergy ick.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
KOO
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Does it have a taste to it? Just wondering if I could add it to my tea to drink?

Linda/Marie/Dawn/Karen

~Karen~
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #26
Bluqq
Major LCF Poster!

How long does it take to feel some difference (even if minor)? I've been reading and I'm impressed with its anti inflammatory properties as well.
September 11, 2001
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #27
Acor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/135/115 5'2
WOE: Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
Does it have a taste to it? Just wondering if I could add it to my tea to drink?
I'm also interested in hearing the answer to this question!

"In spite of illness, in spite even of the archenemy sorrow, one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways."

--Edith Wharton
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #28
Butternut
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Interesting
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #29
DivaHerself
Major LCF Poster!

Location: The Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix
Gallery: DivaHerself
Stats: My ass is still big enough to kick yours
WOE: Wedding Cake Martinis, Darvocet & frozen Twinkies
Start Date: As if. Fix your own damn dinner.
I use a magnesium oil from a company called Health and Wisdom. It's not really an oil, it's just called that because the magnesium is in such a concentrated suspension that it feels slick to the touch, like an oil would. It doesn't feel oily on the skin once absorbed, though.

I use it when brushing my teeth, which are no longer sensitive as a result. I put a couple of drops on my temples at bedtime, and it sends me off to sleep. If I wake in the night, I reapply and it does the same again.

Between topical application and baths with magnesium chloride crystals from the same company, my skin has improved amazingly. No more cracking feet or crocodile shins.

Best of all, it's dirt cheap (something like $7 for 2 oz.). I got a 4 oz. bottle that seems like it's going to last forever at the four-drop rate. I'm going to restock on bath crystals, and get a small dropper bottle for travel -- I seriously missed it on a recent travel weekend.

Best of all, even with my customary hit-or-miss usage, I'm starting to have some incredibly GOOD days -- ones where I get enough done that it would have formerly laid me flat for the next day or two. I'm both mentally and physically productive, and I still CAN relax, I just don't NEED to.

It's supposed to be helpful for migraines too, and since it's a cheap experiment I recommended it to a couple of friends to try for that,but haven't heard back about results if any.
I have the overwhelming urge to break their legs and say "Walk it off".
DivaHerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #30
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
DivaHerself, if you wouldn't mind, when you get the chance, could you look at your bottle of Magnesium oil and tell us what the actual ingredients in it are?
I'm having a hard time on the website finding the actual ingredient list. I know it says it contains X amount of elemental magnesium, but that's what the body absorbs, and I want to know what form of magnesium it is in the container. Is it magnesium oxide, magnesium chloride, or something else.
I'm comparing products and need to know what's what to make an educated decision.
For example, regular epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, and they have special magnesium bath salts but don't say what type of magnesium compound it is, just "concentrated magnesium oil" but I don't know what the magenesium oil is either! Help! please...
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote