Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
AZ.twinmom
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6
Gallery: AZ.twinmom
Can too much armour cause weight gain?

I'm a fitness instructor so I'm very active. I eat a clean diet 85% of the time. I've been on Armour for 7 yrs and within the the last 6 months I"ve gained 10 lbs. It dawned on me that my doc increased my dose by 1 grain around the time the weight started coming on. I'm on 1 1/2 grains in the morning and 1 1/2 in the afternoon. Has anyone else had this issue or even think it's possible for this drug to cause weight gain? I never miss the doses but will say that I don't take it everyday at the exact same time. I try, but it doesn't always happen.

I'm almost hyperthyroid with the amt. I'm on, but she's letting me stay on it because my t3 is still in on the low side. She tests free t3 free t4 and TSH

Last edited by AZ.twinmom; 08-21-2013 at 03:40 PM..
AZ.twinmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
Hi,
I was just wondering the same thing. This morning I got my thyroid news email & was able to find the symptoms of over-medicating... It does say that some people will gain wt. with becoming hyperthyroid, but losing wt. is more common.
My appetite & wt has been creeping up this month & I'm trying not to panic... but I am the one that's controlling how much I take... I increased it myself & now that I am getting more hyper symptoms (also getting palpitations, overheating & bloody noses) I'm cutting down.
But I also deal with adrenals & take isocort, so not sure which thing is off. I probably need to go back & see the naturopath again.
Its great that your Dr. tests all of those. Most don't. Maybe you should ask her to add t-3 instead of more Armour?
Meanwhile, I'm cutting back on mine & making sure that I work out & "trying" to cut back... tempted to try the quick-fix things... its only a few lbs... but it bugs me!
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
inatic
Major LCF Poster!
 
inatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alpharetta,Ga.
Posts: 1,091
Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach/Coached Lean Bodies Consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.twinmom View Post
I'm a fitness instructor so I'm very active. I eat a clean diet 85% of the time. I've been on Armour for 7 yrs and within the the last 6 months I"ve gained 10 lbs. It dawned on me that my doc increased my dose by 1 grain around the time the weight started coming on. I'm on 1 1/2 grains in the morning and 1 1/2 in the afternoon. Has anyone else had this issue or even think it's possible for this drug to cause weight gain? I never miss the doses but will say that I don't take it everyday at the exact same time. I try, but it doesn't always happen.

I'm almost hyperthyroid with the amt. I'm on, but she's letting me stay on it because my t3 is still in on the low side. She tests free t3 free t4 and TSH
what are you symptoms of there wt gain?

hyper isnt diagnosised via TSH. If ft3 and Ft4 are where they should be, you are likely not hyper.
can you share you labs?
__________________
Ileen
hashi's/hypothyroid
Coached: Erik Ledin, Leanbodies Consulting
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
inatic
Major LCF Poster!
 
inatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alpharetta,Ga.
Posts: 1,091
Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach/Coached Lean Bodies Consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hi,
I was just wondering the same thing. This morning I got my thyroid news email & was able to find the symptoms of over-medicating... It does say that some people will gain wt. with becoming hyperthyroid, but losing wt. is more common.
My appetite & wt has been creeping up this month & I'm trying not to panic... but I am the one that's controlling how much I take... I increased it myself & now that I am getting more hyper symptoms (also getting palpitations, overheating & bloody noses) I'm cutting down.
But I also deal with adrenals & take isocort, so not sure which thing is off. I probably need to go back & see the naturopath again.
Its great that your Dr. tests all of those. Most don't. Maybe you should ask her to add t-3 instead of more Armour?
Meanwhile, I'm cutting back on mine & making sure that I work out & "trying" to cut back... tempted to try the quick-fix things... its only a few lbs... but it bugs me!
you shouldnt be titrating meds without your dr or practioner monitoring you. Get back to them, get tested and dont 'play' with your dosage.

If you dont have a dr to work with , keep shopping and find another.
__________________
Ileen
hashi's/hypothyroid
Coached: Erik Ledin, Leanbodies Consulting
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
Thanks, yeah that's good advice. I do work with 2 Drs & a naturopath. They trust me to watch my symptoms, temperature & adjust a miniscule amount ... (7.5 mg)... I'm supposed to find "how often" to add it... I am due to get my blood tested again in a couple of weeks, but they go more by how I'm feeling than the number. We've been getting closer. 60 mg makes me get hypo again... 67.5 every day is what is making me slightly hyper... so I just need to figure out how many days @ week to do each.

On the diet front...have been doing some refresher research for maintenance & losing wt. when it bounces.
I decided to do the 16 hr / 8 hr applied to "my diet". It wasn't that hard to wait till 10:00 to eat breakfast. I'm also cutting my calories back & going to rotate between 1000 & 1300, keeping to clean carbs only & high protein & fat. Found a few formula's for thyroid & losing wt. & maintaining. They say that hypothyroid people require 200 calories less than someone who doesn't have it.
I took half my walk before breakfast (suggested), & the other half after my in the afternoon with my flex-force work. Really hoping it works out. It worked good on getting rid of the cravings.
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
AZ.twinmom
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6
Gallery: AZ.twinmom
I'm going to get my labs done this week and will post. I'm very frustrated I teach 8 hard core boot camp classes a wk. so I have no clue why this is happening if it's not from the dose increase. 139 is the lowest my weight has got in the last 6 months. Today I was 144. My body is used to being around 130 and has been for years!
AZ.twinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
maybell
Junior LCF Member
 
maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 47
Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.twinmom View Post
I'm going to get my labs done this week and will post. I'm very frustrated I teach 8 hard core boot camp classes a wk. so I have no clue why this is happening if it's not from the dose increase. 139 is the lowest my weight has got in the last 6 months. Today I was 144. My body is used to being around 130 and has been for years!
Are you having any other hypo symptoms besides weight gain? I am wondering if you might be making too much reverse T3?

Reverse T3--do you have this problem in excess? Let's talk! | Stop The Thyroid Madness
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
AZ.twinmom
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6
Gallery: AZ.twinmom
I got my labs back and I don't have them in front of me, but my free T3 Free T4 and TSH looked perfect. She also tested anything else that could of explained the weight gain. My iron is still low even with the crazy amt. of supplement I take. Other than iron issue everything fine. I was actually bummed out with this news because it didn't explain anything.

After she and I talked for 1/2 hr. we decided to switch things up and after 7 yrs. of Armour, I'm going to try Levothyroxine and take 100 mg. L-Tyrosine for T3 support . I'm a little nervous about switching since I've been on Armour so long, but she said she'd put me right back on it if I started having negative side effects.

She also said btwn. my thermogenics I take on occasion, coffee, and crazy dieting/working out schedule that my adrenals are shot. She recommended a supplement that is $55 for 3 wks!

Does anyone take an adrenal supplement or suffer from Adrenal Fatigue? Also, if you've been on Levothyroxine have your symptoms improved? Any side effects?

We're testing in 6-8 wks. so if my T3 drops we'll know right away.
AZ.twinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.twinmom View Post
She also said btwn. my thermogenics I take on occasion, coffee, and crazy dieting/working out schedule that my adrenals are shot. She recommended a supplement that is $55 for 3 wks!

Does anyone take an adrenal supplement or suffer from Adrenal Fatigue? Also, if you've been on Levothyroxine have your symptoms improved? Any side effects?

We're testing in 6-8 wks. so if my T3 drops we'll know right away.
Yes, I take Isocort & have gone to a nutritionist who eliminated many foods from my diet after testing me for tolerance... also had to take a saliva test to see which hormone was causing the adrenal fatigue... it was my cortisol that was low. So that's why I take Isocort. The change in how I feel is amazing. What is the stuff that she recommends for yours?
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
AZ.twinmom
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6
Gallery: AZ.twinmom
She put me on an over the counter supplement called Adrenal Rescue. She said I can take up to 6 a day. The bottle is so pricey that I would be thru it in about 2 1/2 wks. I did take it before and didn't feel anything different, but I didn't cut my caffeine either which she said I should do for this issue. It's really hard to do that with my schedule I get up at 3:30am 3 times a wk. for morning classes then I have night classes on oposite nights. I'm basically burning the candle at both ends and supplementing with caffeine to keep going!
AZ.twinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
Oh my! You have authentic FATIGUE! Need to change your schedule & live a normal life girl!
I know, they always want to take our coffee away! Its the one thing we won't do!! I say I'll change my diet, but "Back away from the coffee" to them!
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
aim in Fla*working
Senior LCF Member
 
aim in Fla*working's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 701
I was gaining a ton of weight when I was very hyper and I had a moon face. Now, my doc decreased it and I have normal hunger...lose weigh like a normal human...and I don't feel *****y or starving all the time
__________________
2/3/18-152
2/6/18-150
2/14/18-149.5
2/18/18-149
2/19/18- 148
2/21/18- 147.5
3/11/18-146.5
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
Getting your meds optimized is really imperative.
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
How's it going? Have you got your meds adjusted?
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
AZ.twinmom
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6
Gallery: AZ.twinmom
I'm on week 5 of levothroxine. My weight has not changed I feel a little more tired in the afternoons as well. I'm guessing my T3 is low. I'm going to get levels tested next wk. and see about going back to Armour. I wonder if my body would respond to it like it did the 1st time around. The weight just fell off and I had more energy. I also liked taking it twice a day vs. this med is only once. My doc is pretty easy going so I'm guessing she'll do whatever I suggest. Just wish I had an answer on the weight gain.
AZ.twinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
DebbyL
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DebbyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 10,240
Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: Inching toward Normal wt.
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 8
Sounds like a good plan. What are you doing to lose weight? It is a fact that we have a harder time losing weight... the books say subtract 200 calories for having thyroidism... so if it says you need to eat 1400 for your body, it will be 1200... I lost all my wt. 1/2 lb a week or less... steady gets there!! There's no room for "splurging" either... takes too long to recover, with our metabolisms.
Armour is definitely the way to go to feel better too.
__________________
LCNeighborhood
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member
 
Tracy210T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 118
Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/150/150
WOE: Low carb, lean protein, low glycemic F&V, WATER
Start Date: High school!
Hey ladies I know this thread is old but this looks like classic too much NDT meds, pushing you to converting too much of your dose to reverse T3, the lazy storage hormone cousin of the active T3. They compete for receptor cell sites and as long as you are making too much reverse T3, you wont lose weight because your whole system slows to a crawl, bringing back your hypothyroid issues, in most cases. You'll need to have more labs and have your practitioner adjust your meds, probably cut the NDT in half and take a separate T3 supplement until the reverse T3 clears your system. Labs every 4 weeks. This should take 6-8 weeks to fix. You will also need to get off all caffeine, diet pills, gluten, sugar and dairy and take a good adrenal supplement because a lot of the time, this goes hand in hand with adrenal fatigue. A 24 hour saliva test will show how your adrenals are functioning. Coffee is public enemy #1 as is too much working out. When you workout too hard all the time your body drives up your cortisol and plummets DHEA in a "fight or flight" stance. You need to mix up all that high intensity training with YOGA, walking, swimming. Once the reverse T3 comes back down to a normal level and T3 and T4 go up to the 3/4 range on the labs, you should hopefully be in your sweet spot.
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
maybell
Junior LCF Member
 
maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 47
Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
I highly recommend reading Medical Medium Thyroid Healing by Anthony William. You will never view thyroid disease the same again.
I have changed my entire belief system around my thyroid issue and have been able to heal and keep my weight off.
He is revealing information no one else has even begun to touch and explains weight gain that occurs while on thyroid medication.

Good luck!
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member
 
Tracy210T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 118
Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/150/150
WOE: Low carb, lean protein, low glycemic F&V, WATER
Start Date: High school!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybell View Post
I highly recommend reading Medical Medium Thyroid Healing by Anthony William. You will never view thyroid disease the same again.
I have changed my entire belief system around my thyroid issue and have been able to heal and keep my weight off.
He is revealing information no one else has even begun to touch and explains weight gain that occurs while on thyroid medication.

Good luck!
I'm 20 pages into that right now!
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #20
maybell
Junior LCF Member
 
maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 47
Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Good for you! I have really tackled my epstein barr (undetectable in a blood test but I took all the supplements AW recommends and removed the foods that feed it) and all of my symptoms disappeared. I had been struggling with so many symptoms that are diagnosed as thyroid problems but are actually ebv attacking the thyroid which makes it under perform. I was diagnosed with ebv years ago but then it went underground. This happens to many of us and 95% of thyroid illness is caused by epstein barr attacking the thyroid. Once it gets into the gland it is no longer detectable in a blood test but man does it wreak havoc in your system! I thought I was losing my mind because it got into my neurological system. I am better now and so is everyone I know who has listened to his advice. Good stuff!!
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #21
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member
 
Tracy210T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 118
Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/150/150
WOE: Low carb, lean protein, low glycemic F&V, WATER
Start Date: High school!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybell View Post
Good for you! I have really tackled my epstein barr (undetectable in a blood test but I took all the supplements AW recommends and removed the foods that feed it) and all of my symptoms disappeared. I had been struggling with so many symptoms that are diagnosed as thyroid problems but are actually ebv attacking the thyroid which makes it under perform. I was diagnosed with ebv years ago but then it went underground. This happens to many of us and 95% of thyroid illness is caused by epstein barr attacking the thyroid. Once it gets into the gland it is no longer detectable in a blood test but man does it wreak havoc in your system! I thought I was losing my mind because it got into my neurological system. I am better now and so is everyone I know who has listened to his advice. Good stuff!!
That is so crazy. I am so glad you are better. I had read raving reviews on the book and grabbed it off amazon for kindle. Ive been slacking on reading it a little. Now I will get on it. I would have never thought thyroid issues came from a virus. I always thought it was autoimmune in sorts. Not just hashies (which i don't have) but more gut issues/ inflammation/ genetics/ food sensitivities, all affecting the thyroid...
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #22
maybell
Junior LCF Member
 
maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 47
Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
I know, it is amazing, he is debunking so much misinformation that has been passed down and accepted but isn't correct. It makes sense that it is a virus attacking your thyroid rather than your own body attacking itself. He just explains so much and it all makes sense. Epstein Barr is an epidemic that people think goes away once it isn't detectable in the blood tests that are available. I really hope they work on a more sophisticated way of diagnosing it. So many people's lives would change.
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #23
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member
 
Tracy210T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 118
Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/150/150
WOE: Low carb, lean protein, low glycemic F&V, WATER
Start Date: High school!
Very interesting. I wonder if there is a thread here to discuss this book? We may have to start one soon
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #24
maybell
Junior LCF Member
 
maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 47
Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Good idea!
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2017 Netrition, Inc. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Netrition, Inc.