Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nigel
Does Anyone Here Eat Beans?

Does Anyone Here Eat Beans?

If so, what kind and how much and how often?....excluding green beans and wax beans.. TIA
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
LinCO
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/154.6/152--5'9"
WOE: Back to SB!!
Start Date: Aug 2014
Nigel-I South Beached for a long time, really helped me but I know I need a detox, so I'm doing a 21 day cleanse by Kris Carr - it's vegan and low glycemic. So yes, now I am eating beans. On SB I would have maybe 1/3c. in my chili, here in vegetarian chili I'm having about 3/4 c.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
ouizoid
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I do Nigel. I'm doing a fuhrman style plan.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks ya'll. I've started eating pinto beans a couple of times per week. They seem to fill me up pretty good.

I am going to start experimenting with other types of beans...I've never been much of a bean eater except for green beans and occasionally pinto beans, but I read that eating beans helps to keep your blood sugar more leveled out, so I figure it's worth a bigger effort on my part.

I'm off to search recipes for bean "burgers" .
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
ouizoid
Major LCF Poster!

nigel--netrition carries a black bean pasta that I really like. you might enjoy it. very very filling
Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
nigel--netrition carries a black bean pasta that I really like. you might enjoy it. very very filling

Thank you for that info. I had no idea and it does sound good to me.
I need to place another Netrition order soon, so I'll order some of that pasta too. Way cool, bean pasta...
Old 06-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I do Nigel, & I prefer the kidney beans. Very high in fiber, so not as many carbs as some of the other kind.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/235/ ? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I like garbanzo beans. I make my own hummus sometimes, without the oil and lighter on the sesame seeds.

I just found out you can make a "bread" (I wonder if more like tortilla?) with garbanzo flour I will have to try this. I would like to wrap vegetables in something.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks ya'll.

If the garbanzo bean wrap/bread works out, please let us know here, ok.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
ouizoid
Major LCF Poster!

you might also try Lupin flour made from lupin beans. netrition sells it and it a wonderful flour to use in baked goods. there is a nice thread here on lcf with recipes.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Madge17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Nigel, I ate beans while on LC - mostly Edamame, Black Soy Beans and 365 Brands Vegetarian Baked Beans.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks madge. Good to see you here.

ouizoid, I have been following that thread. I think I will try the lupin flour. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
martha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I have always loved beans, partly because they are cheap and handy. I like to make bean patties with veggies in the food processor, bean spreads, lentil soup, spicy dal, and on and on. Since I'm at the VLC end of the low-carb plan right this minute (and for another few weeks, probably) I have limited the beans to a half cup (dry) navy beans added to a huge pot of mushroom and kale soup. It just seemed so sad to have kale with no white beans! If you count tofu as beans, then I'm eating that now, and I also keep those dried toasted soy nuts around in case I need to pack emergency rations for a trip somewhere. Once I reach maintenance I plan to include as much in the way of beans as my body can handle, along with a modest amount of unprocessed grains, because I don't want to spend my life taking supplements for that problem that beans solve so nicely.

Nice topic.
Martha
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for joining us martha and for your input. Nice to see new people here.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
I haven't been eating them much since I started cutting carbs, but I think I can get away with it. I realize I can get away with up to 50 carbs in a meal, so I can start eating them again. I like kidneys, garbanzos, black beans, and Great Northerns the best. I will use lentils, too. I always liked black-eyed peas when I was a child, but for some reason I never think to buy them now. I should; I'm half southerner!
Food Lady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

I like to make bean chili and cook up pinto beans with onions and a can of tomatoes with green chilies and some cumin and chili powder. Sometimes I just make them plain.

I will turn them into refried beans to eat with my breakfast or a low carb burrito or a quesadilla.

I am venturing out to try other types of beans here and there. I think I have 9 dried varieties in my cupboard to teat out.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #17
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

I love beans but eat them moderately now. I still make a huge pot of lentil soup every winter. Low carb has worked so well for me that I am afraid of rocking the boat.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Old 10-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 145
WOE: Whole Foods Plant Based Vegan
Start Date: Jan 2001
I have been having 1 c beans and 1/2 c brown rice at breakfast with alsa and a piece of fruit. Very satisfying. Or I change it up with 1/2 c beans with an egg on top. I also sprinkle nutritional yeast over it too.

I cook a big kettle of beans, two bags at a time for me and DH. It lasts two weeks. I usually mix the beans and will have a bag of lima and bag of kidney beans together. This week we did pink beans and navy beans. Next week he wants black beans and lima beans. He loves lima beans. I have also cooked up lentils. He uses them on his sandwiches like a spread instead of hummus. I have cooked garbanzo beans. And want to try adzuki beans. With a little stevia and rice, it can be a dessert. Beans are cheap and satisfying. We stay away from canned beans. Those are expensive.

💐🌺🌹🌸🌷🌼🌻🍀🚴
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds good ya'll. Thanks to everyone for posting.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #20
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

I am cooking garbanzo beans this weekend. I have begun eating small amounts of pasta and potatoes that have been cooled after cooking to make resistant starch. I will cool the beans after cooking before adding them to recipes.

Stephan Guyenet
Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #21
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Please let us know how that works out for you.

I have been reading about resistant starch, so I'm curious.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #22
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
I am cooking garbanzo beans this weekend. I have begun eating small amounts of pasta and potatoes that have been cooled after cooking to make resistant starch. I will cool the beans after cooking before adding them to recipes.
I have been adding a tbs of Bob's Red Mill unmodified potato starch to smoothies and juices daily. Its easy to use and inexpensive if you are watching carbs its a nice replacement.

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
lotus33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Nigel have you ever made the 15 bean soup? You should be able to buy it in the dry bean section of your grocery store. It comes with a seasoning packet. I made a crock pot full of that, used 2 cartons of veg broth and added some creole seasoning to make it spicy along with the packet it came with. Threw it in a crock pot on low and it was ready when I got home. Ate a 1/2 of a cup over some quinoa tonight, very good!!

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207, Dec 1~210, Jan 1~215
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
I made some white "chicken" chili yesterday with great northern beans. I picked them simply because they have less carb than navy beans or cannellini beans (which the recipe actually called for). I have some navy beans in the freezer that will probably end up as a soup with bay, "ham" flavor, garlic, onion. It's cold in Wisconsin, and I do soups all season long.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #25
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I know this is an old post but maybe I can revive it a bit.

A pressure cooker is a wonderful utensil for cooking beans. I still have a small aeturnum from my macrobiotic days.

I always soak beans, even lentils. The pressure cooker reduces cooking time dramatically and really softens the longer cooking varieties. Soaking makes for a more evenly cooked bean and, rumor has it, it reduces the possibility of gas.

I still buy some canned bean and always have canned chic peas on hand purchasing the case of organic ones at Costco.
They are fabulous in salads and smashed in sandwich spreads. Hummus, of course, and the varieties of hummus are never ending.
I just bookmarked a recipe for chocolate hummus.

Cuban black beans are a fav in this house and I usually make a soup of it. Leftover beans can make a lovely salad with corn, peppers, onion and seasonings.

We are huge fans of Mediterranean flavors and use a lot of Greek type mixtures which include tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes.....maybe eggplant, peppers, cauliflower, turnips if I have some.

I grew up in the south and kidney beans were a common addition to spaghetti sauce in school lunch (those were the days). Lentils work great in pasta sauce, as well.

I don't know if there's a bean I don't love and I use them for my starch/protein rather than using starches alone. They are more nutrient dense and if I have to make a choice, it's going to beans instead of rice/potato, etc.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #26
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for your input about beans.
You have renewed my interest in them.

I go along for months without eating any and then at times, I eat them 2-3 times per week. I just forget I have them.

I haven't eaten a lot of varieties of beans, but I'm working on branching out.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I try to include some beans daily. That's another reason the chic pea and red lentil bread comes in handy. At times I'm just eating the vegies that hubs has on the side and I need something more substantial. Or I can pile stuff on top.

Red lentils are simply the brown/green variety with the skin removed. They take less than 1/2 hr to cook and break down to mushy like a split pea.
They are commonly used for curries and dals for these reasons.

We have a favorite soup;
Saute some garlic, onion, carrots and red pepper flakes and a tsp or 2 or cumin. Add 1-2 cups of red lentils and a can of diced tomatoes along with 4-5 cups of water. When carrots and lentils are done, add a can of coconut milk, salt and pepper. Squeeze some lemon in. Heat gently another 10 minutes or so.

Oh and I usually don't like lite coconut milk but Trader Joe's is good and it's .99.

Curry is easy; just sautee up some curry in oil/ghee, add the red lentils and stock/water. Cook and season. Eat.
Any other ingredients are optional.
Cumin and red lentils are a perfect combo, too.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much for the recipes.
I have lots of coconut milk...can get it for $1 at the dollar tree here and we recently re-organized our pantry and I have about 8 cans of it, so I need to use them up anyway.
I will try your recipe for cooking the lentils soon. Thanks again.