Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Liz1959
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 219
Gallery: Liz1959
Diane Rehm- How Processed food took over the American Diet

On NPR in about 15 minutes. It should be interesting.

Processed foods account for roughly 70 percent of our nation's calories. Despite the growth of farmer's markets and availability of organic produce, food additives are nearly impossible to avoid. Diane and her guests talk about what goes into our food and how it affects our eating habits.

Guests
Melanie Warner -author of "Pandora's Lunchbox: How Processed Food Changed the American Meal."
Michael Moss -investigative reporter for The New York Times and author of "Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us."
J. Justin Wilson -senior research analyst at the Center for Consumer Freedom.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
svenskamae
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,122
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks, I've ordered the Michael Moss book and hadn't heard of the Melanie Warner one. The Moss book is supposed to be released in audio book format in March 2013.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-28-2013 at 09:12 AM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
MattWCZY
Junior LCF Member
 
MattWCZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 29
Gallery: MattWCZY
Stats: 57 in. Waist/57 in. Waist/38 in. Waist + Energy
WOE: Something Between Atkins and Paleo
Is it safe to assume that they're going to post this online later? I definitely want to listen!
MattWCZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
flappa1016
Senior LCF Member
 
flappa1016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 137
Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
Thanks for the heads up! I'm listening to it now.

Just the other day I put Pandora's Lunchbox and the Salt, Sugar, Fat books on my Kindle wishlist. Today I received the Caltons' new book, Rich Food, Poor Food.

I am VERY passionate about these issues.
__________________
Kim
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
svenskamae
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,122
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'm listening to it now.

Just the other day I put Pandora's Lunchbox and the Salt, Sugar, Fat books on my Kindle wishlist. Today I received the Caltons' new book, Rich Food, Poor Food.

I am VERY passionate about these issues.
Sorry to threadjack here, but I'm curious about "Rich Food, Poor Food." I'm wondering whether people who are already eating basically paleo/primal, prepping food from scratch and shopping the perimeter of the market, would learn anything from this book. I read labels and won't buy anything with vegetable oils, sweeteners, and chemicals that I can't pronounce, and buy almost nothing in a box. Would someone like me get anything out of "Rich Food, Poor Food"? Or is it for people who want the best choices, given that they aren't going to be that hard-core about clean eating and want to buy some preprepared foods?
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
svenskamae
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,122
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm listening to the interview now. Google "NPR Diane Rehm podcast" and you can pull up the website to listen to interviews today.

Unfortunately, one of the 3 guests is an apologist for big food, from an Institute that used to be an apologist for big tobacco. He is a distraction and an annoyance from what could otherwise have been an informative podcast.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
flappa1016
Senior LCF Member
 
flappa1016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 137
Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
That guy annoyed me, too! I was listening at work, and sputtering under my breath at some of the asinine comments that came out of his mouth.

I've had a little bit of time to skim Rich Food, Poor Food. I've been doing the primal/whole foods/clean eating plan for almost a year now, so there's a lot in there that I already know. I shop mostly farmer markets (at least during the spring/summer/fall), and now, during the winter months, we have a CSA home delivery of grass-fed meats from one of our local farmers. We also have our dairy/eggs home delivered from a locally owned company that acts as middle man for several farms in the tri-state area. I don't do a lot of grocery store shopping, but when I do I try to limit my shopping to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. But I still buy things like spices, condiments, coconut/almond milks and other lightly processed foods, so I think this book will be a great resource for that sort of thing. And one of my favorite features of the book (worth the price alone!) is that it tells you which foods contain GMO crap. I love the fact that they steer you towards (or away from) brand-name foods based on the quality of the ingredients. I would HIGHLY recommend the book to those starting out on a paleo/primal lifestyle.

Turns out one of our local creameries gets the thumbs up for their milk, yogurt and other dairy products. It was nice to see a familiar name that is not Big Brand.
__________________
Kim
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
svenskamae
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,122
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
That guy annoyed me, too! I was listening at work, and sputtering under my breath at some of the asinine comments that came out of his mouth.

I've had a little bit of time to skim Rich Food, Poor Food. I've been doing the primal/whole foods/clean eating plan for almost a year now, so there's a lot in there that I already know. I shop mostly farmer markets (at least during the spring/summer/fall), and now, during the winter months, we have a CSA home delivery of grass-fed meats from one of our local farmers. We also have our dairy/eggs home delivered from a locally owned company that acts as middle man for several farms in the tri-state area. I don't do a lot of grocery store shopping, but when I do I try to limit my shopping to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. But I still buy things like spices, condiments, coconut/almond milks and other lightly processed foods, so I think this book will be a great resource for that sort of thing. And one of my favorite features of the book (worth the price alone!) is that it tells you which foods contain GMO crap. I love the fact that they steer you towards (or away from) brand-name foods based on the quality of the ingredients. I would HIGHLY recommend the book to those starting out on a paleo/primal lifestyle.

Turns out one of our local creameries gets the thumbs up for their milk, yogurt and other dairy products. It was nice to see a familiar name that is not Big Brand.
Thanks, Flappa, that's very helpful. I buy mostly organic and local from a nearby food coop, but I too buy lightly processed foods like those you mentioned. I ordered the book.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
dawnyama
Big Yapper!!!!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 8,937
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Thanks, I've ordered the Michael Moss book and hadn't heard of the Melanie Warner one. The Moss book is supposed to be released in audio book format in March 2013.
Michael Moss was on Dr Oz this week talking about his book "Salt Sugar Fat". Have you seen it??? I watched it and was fascinated by his talk. I have the book info up on amazon, just waiting to buy it. Have you received the book yet?
__________________
Dawn in SC
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
svenskamae
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,122
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Michael Moss was on Dr Oz this week talking about his book "Salt Sugar Fat". Have you seen it??? I watched it and was fascinated by his talk. I have the book info up on amazon, just waiting to buy it. Have you received the book yet?
No, I have ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet. You might also like David Kessler, "The End of Overeating," which seems to cover similar subject matter.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
dawnyama
Big Yapper!!!!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 8,937
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
No, I have ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet. You might also like David Kessler, "The End of Overeating," which seems to cover similar subject matter.
That one is on my nightstand. I wish I had time to read all I wanted to read
__________________
Dawn in SC
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,232
Gallery: PaminKY
I just ordered all the books mentioned above. Thanks for the recommendations.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Jakelilydad
Senior LCF Member
 
Jakelilydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York's Hudson Valley
Posts: 398
Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I would love to read them, too. Information is power, and the more we consumers have, the better. Thanks for the info.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,232
Gallery: PaminKY
I just finished reading Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss and the more I read about how proccessed-food manufacturers have mislead the public to pursue higher profits the sadder I get.

In chapter 14 the former chief scientist of Frito-Lay makes the comment "I feel so sorry for the public".
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2015 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.