Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Stats: 5' 7"/170cm, 61-62Kg
WOE: Bernstein-Pastoral; Laws of Small Numbers
Start Date: Maintenance since 2001, VLC for six years now!
Dr. Richard Mackarness and Clinical Ecology.

Some of us have found that eating VLC, very high fat, and being at maintenance weight for years has not solved all our health challenges.

We had hoped that by eliminating further foodstuffs, such as: nuts and seeds and their oils, nightshades, FODMAPs, high oxalates, high goitrogens, high salicylates, etc. (as well as the usual LC standards of no grains, no sweets, no fruits, no starches), that the allergies or pains, etc., would disappear.

A non-industrial diet means no additives, no preservatives, no artificial flavors or sweeteners, etc.

Elimination diets, testing foods from commercial sources, as well as organic, grass-fed, testing supplements, etc., has led to avoiding such industrial products as food in cans. Also, limiting exposure to chemicals, fluorescent lights, EMFs, plastics, etc., means marked improvements in health and well-being.

For some people, it means making all meals themselves, not eating out, making sure that all food is stored in glass or stainless steel or ceramic, growing one's own vegetables and herbs, and the meat and dairy must be grass-fed and organic, etc.

----

Dr. Richard Mackarness' books are a great help to me, and I thought it might be of help to others to post some quote and thoughts about his work.

His first book, Eat Fat and Grow Slim, 1958, made great headway in urging people to avoid grains, sugars and starches, to eat 80% fat and 20% protein. (That link is to a post here at LCF which gives two edition online of that first book, as well as a link to William Banting's "Letter on Corpulence".)

The revised edition, of 1975, is more of a treatise on the state of the Western diet, and why it is vital to eat non-industrial foods, in addition to avoiding the grains, sweets, and starches.

Here is the closing paragraph from the 1975 book. I have made it into two paragraphs so it is easier to read, and added the bold type:

From a short monograph on obesity, published in 1958, this book has evolved into a study of our Western way of eating. And as a spin-off has enabled me to take a new look at psychiatry in relation to diet and to show that many chronic mental patients can be rehabilitated without drugs, electric shocks or operations on the brain, simply by eliminating new, chemically-adulterated foods from their diets.

The mind and body are one and the mind is really the manifestation of the physical brain in action. If wrong food can make people fat and rot their teeth, why should it not, in some susceptible people, injure their brains as well and make them appear mad?

His book, Not All in the Mind, first published in Britain, and the next year in the US as Hidden Allergies, addresses allergies, addictions, industrial foods, the various facets of clinical ecology.

In both the revised edition of Eat Fat and Grow Slim, and Not All in the Mind, he writes of his visits with such luminaries as Dr. Blake Donaldson, Dr. Alfred Pennington, Dr. Theron Randolph, and Dr. George Thorpe.

----

Dr. Blake Donaldson's work with those with serious illnesses who recovered eating meat and fat in most inspiring. His book, Strong Medicine, can be read online.

Dr. Theron Randolph's work with allergies and addictions was tremendous. Here is a very short explanation of part of his work, explaining the addiction pyramid.

It is telling that the safest food to eat is fat.

----

Here is Stefansson's, The Fat of the Land, for much enjoyable reading.

Will post more from Dr. Mac and others as I can.

Best thoughts and wishes to those who find that VLC, ultra high fat, and staying at maintenance weight have not been enough.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj
Maintainers over-55 Thread

Daily Callanetics. Every day.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

A few gems from Dr. Mac's Not All in the Mind, 1976:

Chapter one:

Professor Selye defines stress as the struggle to adapt to a noxious agent.

Chapter six:

Specific allergic adaptation to foods and chemicals is an addiction as devastating as addiction to tobacco or drugs.

Chapter eight:

In my experience, main offenders, besides cereals and sugars, are instant coffee, tea, chocolate, eggs, milk and processed foods.

Chapter nine:

An important point to remember is that anyone with an allergic background is potentially allergic to anything. (Emphasis in book.)

From the opening page of chapter nine:

We are not infinitely adaptable animals, and there is mounting evidence that many of us have already adapted as much as we can to today's increasingly sophisticated and chemically contaminated diet. It is time to call a halt to this appallingly risky experiment in human nutrition and look again at the relationship between the food we eat and the changing pattern of disease in industrialized countries.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: corrected typeface
Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an interesting article on Orthomolecular Psychiatry, using the elimination diet of Drs. Randolph, Rinkel and Rowe, and deliberate testing of foods, for emotional reactions.

I apologize for the defective link in the first post on Dr. Randolph's elimination diets. I can't put a new link in that first post, but the above link will suffice as an explanation of the diet.

Allergies and Dyslexia. Also explains about the elimination diet. That link is one of many at the online library of Orthomolecular Medicine. Many hours of happy reading ahead....

Another from that online library:

Psychiatric Syndromes caused by allergies

The Environmental Aspects of Cardiovascular Disease

Time for fresh air and sunshine. Will post more as I can.

Best wishes to all.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-05-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: added information
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

I have more books from Dr. Mackarness, and will post as I note things.

If someone is ordering books of his, there are several books which were published under a different title in the US, from the title in the UK. I ended up with duplicates again. Along with Not All in the Mind (UK) being Hidden Allergies (USA), the book Chemical Victims (UK) is called Living Safely in a Polluted World (USA).

He explains what he calls a Stone-Age Diet in all of these books, as well as how to recognize symptoms of allergies to foods, environmental factors, and how to pinpoint the triggers, how to alleviate symptoms, how to avoid the triggers, etc.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Two quotes that have stayed with me:

From Dr. Mackarness, in Eat Fat and Grow Slim, first American edition, page 100:

Necessities do not call for comment until they become scarce.

And from Dr. Blake Donaldson, in Strong Medicine, page 74:

Everyone has an obligation to keep as young as possible. That implies useful work no matter how humble, and some serenity of mind, and normal weight, and daily outdoor exercise, and enough amino acids in fresh fat meat to do a good job of repair on breaking-down arteries.

And that is a big order. If it can be fulfilled a lot of other things can safely be left to nature. She was practicing medicine a long time before anyone heard of physicians.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

I finally bought a copy of Barry Groves' Trick and Treat. I'm so glad I did. It's enjoyable reading and full of bits of things that I haven't run across elsewhere.

Here's one I especially liked:

Starting on page 245, at the bottom of the page. The section is called, Sodium benzoate, mitochondria and cancer.

The Independent on Sunday reported a new health scare over evidence that soft drinks might cause serious cell damage...

Professor Peter Piper, a Professor of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, and an expert on ageing [British spelling] at Sheffield University had been working for ten years on sodium benzoate (E211), a preservative used for decades....

The dangers lay, he thought, in the ability of sodium benzoate to switch off vital parts of DNA in the mitochondria to the point that it might totally inactivate them...

Professor Piper stated, "The mitochondria consume oxygen to give you energy and if you damage them -- as happens in a number of diseased states -- then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously. And there is a whole array of diseases that are now being tied to damage to this DNA: Parkinson's and quite a lot of neuro-degenerative diseases, but avoe all the whole precoess of ageing."

Barry Groves goes on to address how having the mitochondria shut down makes "cancer cells immortal and confers resistance to radiation and chemotherapy".

At Dr. Groves' website, Second Opinions, he writes more about the problems of sodium benzoate, including this:

Sodium benzoate in other foods

Sodium Benzoate is found in a very wide range of foods & drinks: bakery products, pizzas, marinated herring, yoghurt, cheese, low fat spreads, blue cheese dressing, fruit products, jams, figs, nut paste, pickles and sauces (e.g. horseradish), salad cream, sweets, candied peel, glace fruit, gelatin, desserts ipings & fillings, milk shake syrups, fruit ice-cream. Also beer, cider, wine, perry, ginger ale, ginger beer, shandy, tonic water, barley water, fruit squashes, colas (other than Coca Cola), glucose drinks, cherryade, sparkling canned drinks, soda stream concentrates, frozen fruit juices. It is also frequently used to preserve other additives, flavourings, colourings, anti-foaming agents, artificial sweeteners. In these case it is not necessarily declared on the packaging

I highly recommend Trick and Treat. This is just a sample of the excellent reporting in the book.

Best wishes to all for the best of health.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-02-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typeface error
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not sure if this belongs in a thread on allergies and clinical ecology, but as migraines are a complex phenomenon, and have many contributing factors, here goes.

This is an interesting paper on migraines and epilepsy.

I found it most fascinating and well worth the effort to read it.

ETA: After that bad news about sodium benzoate destroying mitochondria, here is some good news. Ketogenic diets improve mitochondrial function. Here is the report.

...In ketosis, less glutamate is metabolized and more becomes available to the glutamate decarboxylase
reaction for the purpose of GABA synthesis.

How might ketosis cause these changes?

We and others found that ketosis activates
mitochondrial metabolism and flux through the tricarboxylic acid cycle.

(Melo et al, 2006; Yudkoff et al, 2005; 2006)....

Emphasis added.

Here's to ketogenic diets!

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-02-2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 01-18-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a two-page pdf, quick-reference to The FailSafe Diet, if someone is trying to eliminate food additives, chemicals, and avoid problematic, naturally occurring chemicals in food, such as amines (including histamine), oxalates, gallates, salicylates, goitrogens, etc.

ETA: I noticed that the link to Dr. Theron Randolph's paper on LCHF eating and the Addiction Pyramid doesn't work. Here is the link to that paper.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-18-2015 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
GME
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LCish/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Interesting information. Thanks for posting.

3/15/15- California Classic Half Marathon- I won! 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon- I won!
7/26/15- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
11/1/15- Mermaid Serena 10 Mile Run (over the Golden Gate ) 3/12/16- Zion Half Marathon in Zion NP

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:12 AM   #10
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Gina. Thanks for your post. Finding about about how industrial food production methods, chemicals, additives, and the naturally occurring toxins in food, has helped me tremendously. I keep reading and making changes in my food plan, and habits, trying to increase nutrients and avoid things which cause troubles.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Here is some basic information on the FailSafe Diet, from Emma Davies blog:

About Food Intolerance: Non-Allergic Food Intolerance

The FAILSAFE diet is a diet designed to be free of additives, low in salicylates, amines and flavour enhancers. It is Sue Dengate‘s term for the low-chemical exclusion diet formulated by allergists at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Australia.

It is designed to treat sensitivities to specific man-made and natural flavourings, colourings and preservatives found in foods by eliminating problem foods and replacing them with healthy, low-chemical alternatives.

Sensitivities to food chemicals are pharmacological and dose-related (like the side effects of drugs), rather than immune-mediated like allergies. Different people have different tolerance levels to salicylates, amines, glutamates, sulphites, food colourings and other additives, and sensitivity symptoms (intolerances), occur when a person’s tolerance levels are exceeded.

The symptoms caused by food chemicals appear to be allergy-like, which can make determining their true cause very confusing. Despite food chemical intolerance being more common than true allergy, a lack of knowledge about this syndrome means that the symptoms are rarely understood properly by the layperson or the medical practitioner. Food intolerances are not mysterious, however: there are specific, well-known metabolic reasons for these symptoms.

Food Chemicals Excluded by the Failsafe Diet

The failsafe diet excludes strong tasting and smelling foods and environmental chemicals, in particular:

About fifty artificial food additives including colours (like tartrazine, sunset yellow), flavours, preservatives and antioxidants (sulphites, nitrates, benzoates, sorbates, parabens).

Salicylates (aspirin) and polyphenols (natural flavours, colours and preservatives) found in a wide range of fruits and vegetables.

Neurotransmitters in food: free glutamates (MSG) and amines (histamine, serotonin, dopamine, phenylethylamine, tyramine and others) found in aged proteins and fermented foods like cheese, chocolate, game, and hung meat.

Aromatic (strong smelling and tasting) chemicals found in perfumes, cleaning products, commercial cosmetics, and scented and coloured toiletries, especially mint and menthol products.

Some pharmaceutical drugs, including aspirin, NSAIDS and other COX II inhibitors including ibuprofen, and the methyl-salicylates found in decongestants and anti-inflammatory creams.

Hope this helps someone else. The FailSafe diet has solved many health puzzles for me.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 01-25-2015, 03:27 AM   #12
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

In case someone would list a list of low-fiber-residue foods. The list does not take into consideration such things as oxalates, salicylates, histamines, goitrogens, etc. Here is one I thought was fairly good, from MedLine Plus Medical Encyclopedia. Here are the vegetables on the list:

Vegetables: You may eat these vegetables raw:

Lettuce
Cucumbers
Onions
Zucchini

You can eat these vegetables if they are well-cooked or canned (without seeds). You can also drink juices made from them if they do not contain seeds or pulp:

Yellow squash (without seeds)
Spinach
Pumpkin
Eggplant
Potatoes, without skin
Green beans
Wax beans
Asparagus
Beets
Carrots
Do NOT eat any vegetable that is not on the list above. Do NOT eat vegetables raw that are okay to eat cooked. Avoid vegetables and sauces with seeds, such as tomato sauce.

----

Here are excerpts from Barry Groves article, at his site, Second Opinions, "The Best Detox Diet":

A pure carnivore should eat no plant material, so there should not be any carbohydrate in its colon to support fermentative bacteria. With no fermentative bacteria to produce acids, the proteolytic bacteria thrive there in a healthy alkaline environment.

Even a small amount of carbohydrate in the colon will support a colony of fermentative bacteria; if there is a large amount of the more indigestible carbohydrates such as bran and raw vegetation from salads, the fermentative bacteria will thrive until they can be overwhelming. As the production of acid in the colon soars, the resultant environment becomes hospitable to yeasts, moulds and other fungi. These too are avid fermenters and, as their numbers also increase, the colonic environment becomes more and more acid. But this environment does not suit the beneficial proteolytic bacteria which should be there, so they die off leaving the harmful fermenting bacteria unopposed.

This leaves the colon both irritated and irritable. We start to see diarrhoea and other signs of digestive distress. The patient knows nothing of the bacterial change that has taken place. All he is concerned with is that his stools are getting smellier, sloppier and more acid, and his rectum is itching and burning.

At the same time, the irritable colon disturbs the rest of the digestive tract. The stomach becomes gassy and the small intestine speeds up the transport of the food within it. The various vegetable fibres, which are difficult to digest at best are speeded through to the colon with even less digestion than before. And as absorption of nutrients into the body takes time — and that time is now reduced — even more reach the colon. This provides an even better environment for the fermenting bacteria, which proliferate, and things go from bad to worse.

Prehistoric Man undoubtedly consumed some plant foods. But it was only in Neolithic times, after they had been made edible by boiling or other forms of cooking with fire that they were used in any real quantity.[2] Right up to Roman times, vegetables, even salad vegetables, were invariably served cooked. While poorer Plebeians were described as eating raw plant foods such as chicory, lettuce, endive and garlic, aristocratic Romans certainly didn't — unless they needed a laxative.

The eating of raw vegetables died out throughout the Middle Ages, being only used as a purgative. Renaissance Italy seems to have reintroduced the salad trend, but even then salads were cooked, then cooled, vegetables and fish.

The use of raw plant foods other than as a laxative or purgative, is a very modern fad. And it may not be a very healthy one.

What really is a 'detox' diet?

One of the concepts that alternative health professionals believe in is 'cleansing' or 'detoxifying'. It can happen when you add a super-supplement to your diet, or when you eliminate bad stuff you used to eat or drink. We are familiar with the concept for drugs and alcohol, but not so much for foods and other lifestyle habits.

It is dietary carbohydrates alone that cause intestinal distress of varying degrees in carnivores and Man. What we should eat is a non-irritant type of diet: one in which carbohydrates can be eaten, but in such a way that they don't play havoc with the intestinal flora. We need some form of diet that detoxifies the gut....

----

This points to what some of those early LC doctors, Blake Donaldson, George L. Thorpe, and later Richard Mackarness, and the explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson said: fatty meat and water. Dr. Richard Mackarness stated that we need to have 20% PRO and 80% FAT on each forkful.

Dr. Richard Bernstein explains in his book, The Diabetes Solution, and at his website, what the misunderstanding of fiber was, that led to the promotion of "all fiber is healthy" marketing.

---

Although a bit unpleasant to read (as in not a polite conversation subject), there is much interesting information on how fiber destroys health, at the site, gut sense, by the author of Fiber Menace, Konstantin Monastyrsky. The gist is: Fiber is the problem, not the solution. The Weston A. Price Foundation gave that book a good review. Otherwise, reviews were mixed.

Here is an excerpt:

Author's note:

As you can see, fiber's toll on our health is huge. On a purely statistical level, fiber causes more harm and death than tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs combined.

Not surprisingly, just as in the case of the tobacco industry, those who benefit most from peddling fiber will keep squeezing every penny of profit out of it for as long as they can weasel their way around the truth.

And why not? Baking cereals from cattle chow (bran), or making laxatives from chicken feed (psyllium) is as profitable as minting money. No, probably more profitable!

Another aspect of this tragedy is even scarier. Just as tobacco keeps a substantial slice of the medical industry gainfully employed, patching up fiber's shenanigans makes it rich. So why stop the windfall?

Sounds a lot like the sugar-and-PUFA industry.

I added the bold type. Hope this helps someone else.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-25-2015 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: punctuation and spacing
Old 01-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #13
GME
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just finished the Kindle book Whole Grains Empty Promises and while I can't recommend it for its literary value (it reads like a narrative blog), it gives an interesting account of the "science" that went into the whole grain push of recent years.

A question.... Barry Groves talks about "pure carnivores" but I have always understood humans to be omnivores, more like pigs and bears. We have the omnivore mix of teeth.

3/15/15- California Classic Half Marathon- I won! 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon- I won!
11/1/15- Mermaid Serena 10 Mile Run (over the Golden Gate ) 3/12/16- Zion Half Marathon in Zion NP

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:10 AM   #14
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Gina Barry Groves explains the basis of that statement in a lengthy article at his site, Second Opinions. That website was my primer for a good while. I really enjoyed reading everything there. You might enjoy it, too.

Dr. Richard Bernstein has a good article, "What about Dietary Fiber?", in the articles section at his site. Also, Appendix A gives much of that, as well as good information on salt. He gives the history of the study on fiber, which was misinterpreted and misused to promote the sale of fiber foods.

Here's a bit I really liked:

Fiber, like carbohydrate, is not essential for a healthy life. Just look at the Eskimos and other hunting populations that survive almost exclusively on protein and fat, and don’t develop cardiac or circulatory diseases.

It's easy to see that the sugar-PUFA promoters/pushers use fiber as a transport carrier for the sugar-PUFA. Threefold sabotage.

Hope you are doing really well.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 02-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Thank you for all the information, Aunt Em. I have been on a similar journey the past 3 years. I've eliminated dairy, wheat, nuts and grains. I occasionally will eat something here or there but it's not a regular thing.

I first started eliminating grains to lower my blood sugar. I ended up having severe knee joint problems and came to the conclusion that it was the almond flour. I was eating a lot in baked goods. So, I eliminated most nuts.

At that point I began to realize I had joint pain for nearly 10 years, and knee swelling when I would eat ice cream. The joint pain became less and I was doing pretty good this summer until winter hit and I was hit with very bad joint pain all over my body.

So, I'm still not sure if there are more food intolerances that are causing the pain. I'm suspecting that possible table salt is doing a number on my joints and I'm also experimenting with the low carb treats I make here at home.

Lots to learn!
Thanks again!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 AM   #16
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Grammy. Thanks for your kind post. I agree, there is so much to learn. Along with staying away from grains, sugars, and legumes, I found that staying away from all nightshades really helped with easing pain, and increasing flexibility and mobility.

Have you looked at the FailSafe Diet? That might be a help to you.

I must do my Callanetics and stretches every day, as they help me tremendously physically and mentally. I also read some abstracts at PubMed yesterday, that yoga and meditation increase glutathione. I had read about the increase in GABA, and glutathione increase is super.

Hope you are doing well. If you find things that help you, either to do or not do, could you post about them? Thanks.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Auntie Em. Yes, let's stay in touch. Oh, and I post (along with Esther (Rosethorns) over in the allergy section under Recipes. We both have food intolerances and don't eat dairy, grains and I don't eat nuts. We share the recipes we try under that link.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 AM   #18
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Grammy. I don't eat nuts or seeds at all anymore, or use anything made from them. Are you off of nightshades completely? Serious ailments require serious solutions.

I mostly post in the Nutritional Ketosis, LCHF, sub-forum.

That raw food site has some wrong information. Barry Groves' site, Second Opinions, explains how food acidifies.

I only read sites by serious researchers and doctors who treat patients based on sound science. Sometimes I read blogs by those with serious ailments, using LCHF Pastoral Food Plans to solve their troubles. I am not interested in sites which are not based on sound science and sound thinking.

I wish you success in erasing the pain.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 02-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #19
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

I would love to know which websites you visit. I'm going to try and go off nuts/seeds for 30 days. I've been reading about the WHOLE 30 commitment. Have you read about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi Grammy. I don't eat nuts or seeds at all anymore, or use anything made from them. Are you off of nightshades completely? Serious ailments require serious solutions.

I mostly post in the Nutritional Ketosis, LCHF, sub-forum.

That raw food site has some wrong information. Barry Groves' site, Second Opinions, explains how food acidifies.

I only read sites by serious researchers and doctors who treat patients based on sound science. Sometimes I read blogs by those with serious ailments, using LCHF Pastoral Food Plans to solve their troubles. I am not interested in sites which are not based on sound science and sound thinking.

I wish you success in erasing the pain.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #20
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Grammy. Here are some, which I find helpful:

"The FailSafe Diet" blog at wordpress is most useful, and Barry Grove's site, "Second Opinions" is really good, both are of special interest to those of us who have food intolerances/allergies.

I have posted several times here at LCF about FODMAPs, which might be useful, too. Peter Gibson and Susan Shepherd are the main authors to search for on FODMAPs.

Blogs I read and can recommend:

Dr. Richard Feinman, "feinman the other"

Peter Dobromylskyj (veterinarian), "Hyperlipid"

Chris Masterjohn (biochemist), "The Daily Lipid", also "Cholesterol and Health", and he writes articles for the Weston A. Price Foundation.

William Lagakos, (biochemist) "Calories Proper"

A few others useful for reference and study:

Research studies and articles at "PubMed"

The Journal online, "Nutrition and Metabolism"

There are many books available at archive.org, and Hathitrust which are of interest. Dr. Blake Donaldson's Strong Medicine, and Dr. Daniel C. Munro's, You Can Live Longer Than You Think, are at Hathitrust.

Archive.org has books of explorers who studied Arctic peoples, which are interesting for the accounts of food and lifestyle of people who eat a pre-industrial, pre-agricultural diet. Vilhjalmur Stefansson is perhaps, the most famous of these explorers. Dr. Stefansson's book, The Fat of the Land, is available to read online, at various sites.

I didn't post links, as I have an ad blocker on my computer, and I can't tell which links are all right to post.

I wish you happy reading.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #21
GME
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
I would love to know which websites you visit. I'm going to try and go off nuts/seeds for 30 days. I've been reading about the WHOLE 30 commitment. Have you read about it?
I'm not Auntie Em, but I am a week into Whole30 and its going well for me. It doesn't exclude nuts and seeds, but doesn't say you must eat them either.

Whole30 excludes grains, sugar (and AS), dairy and legumes. No MSG, carrageenan or sulfites (fates? I get those mixed up) either.

It isn't far off from how I ate before, except the AS. I haven't had a Diet Pepsi in a week, and that is an accomplishment for me. I found carrageenan (which they say is a gut irritant) in my coconut milk yogurt so I am trying my hand at making my own.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #22
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

Good for you, Gina! Yes, that is very close to how I eat. I've backed WAY off the AS to see if that is causing some of my joint pain along with the seeds (I don't eat nuts). Are you eating only organic meat? I can't afford it on my budget.

Do you have a good website that gives a list of what you can/cannot eat?

Thanks for writing. I hope to do this with my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I'm not Auntie Em, but I am a week into Whole30 and its going well for me. It doesn't exclude nuts and seeds, but doesn't say you must eat them either.

Whole30 excludes grains, sugar (and AS), dairy and legumes. No MSG, carrageenan or sulfites (fates? I get those mixed up) either.

It isn't far off from how I ate before, except the AS. I haven't had a Diet Pepsi in a week, and that is an accomplishment for me. I found carrageenan (which they say is a gut irritant) in my coconut milk yogurt so I am trying my hand at making my own.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #23
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Gina. How nice of you to post.

Grammy, sorry, I didn't answer your Whole30 question. It doesn't interest me. I follow different parameters, based on the nutrients and antinutrients in each food. The reading list I posted will give you an idea of the science regarding food choices.

I also recommend reading Dr. Theron G. Randolph's books on allergies, and those of Dr. Richard Mackarness, especially on allergy being the basis of food cravings (aka addictions). You might find Dr. Randolph's Addiction Pyramid interesting; it starts with fats being the least problematic.

The current fashionable diets have truth in them, but do not necessarily go into depth as the biochemical processes whereby there is intolerance or allergy. They are "ballpark" helps.

To further explain:

The title and subject of this thread is Clinical Ecology, which is a particular approach to food intolerances and allergies, based on the work of Rinkel, Randolph, Mackarness, et al., regarding the chemical processes whereby the intolerances and allergies occur.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Last edited by Auntie Em; 02-11-2015 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #24
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Auntie Em. I will surely check them out. I'm currently interested in seeing if I can find help for my daughter who has asthma and emphysema. Have you read anything regarding it?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #25
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Grammy, there are folks on Whole30 in the Paleo sub-forum. Hope that helps.

I wish you success.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #26
GME
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Good for you, Gina! Yes, that is very close to how I eat. I've backed WAY off the AS to see if that is causing some of my joint pain along with the seeds (I don't eat nuts). Are you eating only organic meat? I can't afford it on my budget.

Do you have a good website that gives a list of what you can/cannot eat?

Thanks for writing. I hope to do this with my daughter.
There is a website you can find by searching for Whole30 (they don't use a space). All the details are there with a FAQ section and a forum. The authors of the plan wrote It Starts With Food, which I haven't read.

It isn't an allergy protocol exactly, they don't limit eggs or nightshades for example, and a lot of what they write seems geared toward SAD eaters, but I have found it helpful. Some other ladies at work are doing it and it has the 30 day timeline built in, so it feels doable and a good way to test some things.

I don't eat all organic meat. I buy organic fruits and vegetables for the dirty dozen list at least.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #27
GME
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you, Auntie Em. I will surely check them out. I'm currently interested in seeing if I can find help for my daughter who has asthma and emphysema. Have you read anything regarding it?
I don't have serious asthma and nothing like emphysema, but my asthma-light responds very well to being off dairy.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #28
Erin57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/160/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Bumping to say Hi to Auntie Em and thanks for this thread. I'm doing some research on food intolerance, specifically histamine. This thread has some great info.

Auntie- Are you still around? I haven't seen you post in a while.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #29
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Erin. I couldn't get to the internet for awhile.

Another year of VLC for me, and each year a tad more strict, and enjoying it.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #30
Erin57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/160/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
So good to see you back and posting again.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote