Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Kevinpa's Erythritol Chocolate Fudge

Erythritol Fudge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a batch of fudge today and told Pam I would post the recipe and pictures to a thread so here it is.
BTW this is my favorite fudge.

Erythritol Chocolate Fudge(18 servings)

2 cups powdered erythritol
1 splenda quick pack
2 T. diabetisweet
4 T. not/sugar
1.5 oz. unsweetened chocolate or Lindt 85% dark cocoa bar (grated)
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup Hood calorie countdown 2% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter

In a small mixing bowl combine powdered erythritol, not/sugar, cream of tartar, diabetiSweet, and splenda quick pack until all lumps are gone.
Mix the sweetener blend, milk, grated chocolate, and bring to a boil slowly, stirring until the ingredients are well blended.
Boil to the soft-ball stage, or until candy themometer reaches 235 to 240 degrees.
Remove from the stove, add the butter, but do not stir it in.
When lukewarm, add the vanilla and beat until it creams; meaning, until the shiny appearance disappears and the fudge holds its shape.
Spread it in a buttered pan and when it hardens cut it into squares.

I have read the thread through but did not find the answer to my question. Has anyone made this without the Not/Sugar? If so, what did you use? Also, if I remember correctly, a Splenda quick pack is a cup of Splenda? I have tried the Table Fudge twice now, and was a dud both times. So on to something else that might work for me.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Low Carb Librarian
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: Jan 2016 (off and on)
Do you have to use so many types of artificial sweetener?
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

I would imagine you do have to use all of these sweeteners. I read that in order to sweeten chocolate you need more than one. Here are a couple of good places to start looking at sugar subs and their combinations: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post14724812 and http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post14673636. Hope this helps.

p.s. I used Truvia as my sweetener in the Table Fudge. Is that my problem? Can someone that is successful with it please tell me their exact sweeteners and the amounts? I am still curious, though about Kevinpa's recipe. Thank you. (I am determined!!!! )

Last edited by Tilly; 07-05-2011 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Here are my guesses. First of all, I think you could use another gum instead of Not/Sugar. Use 1/3 the amount called for; in other words, use 1 1/3 tsp. guar, xanthan, or glucomannan. Yes, the Quick pack is 1 cup's worth of sweetener. I don't believe you need the Diabetisweet. You already have a sugar alcohol in the erythritol. You might be able to skip it altogether. I know Kevin liked his recipes really sweet (so do I). Or you could add 2 tbs. of another sweetener.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Here are my guesses. First of all, I think you could use another gum instead of Not/Sugar. Use 1/3 the amount called for; in other words, use 1 1/3 tsp. guar, xanthan, or glucomannan. Yes, the Quick pack is 1 cup's worth of sweetener. I don't believe you need the Diabetisweet. You already have a sugar alcohol in the erythritol. You might be able to skip it altogether. I know Kevin liked his recipes really sweet (so do I). Or you could add 2 tbs. of another sweetener.
I will write this all down. I LOVE my things really sweet. I may not try it after looking at it again. 2 cups of erythritol is a LOT, meaning it is kind of pricey, and to use 2 cups of it.....

Do you make the Table Fudge? And if so, what kind and how much do you use for sweetener? And would my problem with not firming up have to do with the weather? It is hot and humid here but AC inside. I think I read somewhere on here that the weather might have something to do with it. I did boil that sucker for at LEAST 7 minutes, but it tasted blah, and did not firm up. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Tilly; 07-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: add to it
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
ravenrose

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I will write this all down. I LOVE my things really sweet. I may not try it after looking at it again. 2 cups of erythritol is a LOT, meaning it is kind of pricey, and to use 2 cups of it.....
*nodding* like $4 worth of it or more
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I did make table fudge twice. It was great. I cooked it for more like 9 minutes, until a candy thermometer registered 190. I swapped out some of the chocolate bars for baking chocolate. The chocolate bars I used had maltitol. I also added 6 Tbs. erythritol, 1/8 tsp. stevia, 6 drops (1/4 cup sweetening) sucralose, and 6 drops (1/4 cup sweetening) neotane. You can use any combination of sweeteners that you want, but I think myou will need a sugar alcohol as one of them. Keep tasting until you like it.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I did make table fudge twice. It was great. I cooked it for more like 9 minutes, until a candy thermometer registered 190. I swapped out some of the chocolate bars for baking chocolate. The chocolate bars I used had maltitol. I also added 6 Tbs. erythritol, 1/8 tsp. stevia, 6 drops (1/4 cup sweetening) sucralose, and 6 drops (1/4 cup sweetening) neotane. You can use any combination of sweeteners that you want, but I think myou will need a sugar alcohol as one of them. Keep tasting until you like it.
Thanks so much! Maybe that is it, cook it longer, add more sweeteners, different kinds, and use the baking chocolate. Again, thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 07-06-2011 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: add to it