Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Hamilton Beach Half-Pint

Ice cream maker.

Does any one have this and if so, do you like it? I just bought it and come to find out it has mixed reviews.. .It is a cute machine though..and I really want to keep it... love to hear any good or bad things about it! Thanks!!

Carbs is the "gasoline" that causes the diabetes flame to burn higher and hotter.... common sense from Dr. Bernsteins website
RIP annagm 1956-2012 My Sweet Sister
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
dizneegirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dizneegirl
Is that the one with two little freezer bowls? I've seen that one & thought it would be ideal for "single serve" ice cream. Hard to justify getting it though, when I have a big Cuisinart... but if it works well...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

YES...that is the one! It is a cute little machine, and I have it sitting here still in the box...just want to get some other opinions on it! I have an ice cream maker but it is buried in my storage somewhere. Maybe I should try this weekend and see if dh can maybe find it...I do like the little one, it is green and cute. LOL...

Carbs is the "gasoline" that causes the diabetes flame to burn higher and hotter.... common sense from Dr. Bernsteins website

Last edited by fourstubbs; 06-29-2011 at 12:50 AM..
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: Currently back on Atkins Induction
Start Date: May 2003
Mary, LOL!! Cute has a lot to do with things!

Does it really only make a cup at a time? Tell me how it works when you get a chance!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

I just read a bunch of reviews on Amazon - some loved it, some had problems, as with anything. Check 'em out, Mary!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Nigel
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nigel
I looked at it on Amazon too and I like it.
I wonder how long it takes to "churn" the ice cream.
I think it might be fun to do while watching TV, the churning part.

I have a couple of bigger ice cream makers packed away in storage, but haven't come across them yet. This little one might just be the ticket for me.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Yeah, I'm thinking I might like it too - I have a tabletop 1 1/2 quart electric that uses regular salt and ice, I've HAD the ones with the freezer bowls but they were too big to leave in the freezer - this looks just about right!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

yes, it has two small cups.. It doesn't take too long to churn either. It can be done quickly too... dh likes the fact that it only makes enough for the two of us.....cuz we are empty nesters... I think I'm gonna keep it... excited... !!!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Charski
Gadget Gal

Well hurry up and try it, would ya?!

I need reviews from somebody I TRUST!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: Which time? Original Start Date 1/1/03
This looks REALLY cool! I live alone and I like the fact that I can keep one bowl frozen at any given time to make ice cream whenever I want since I would be able to freeze both bowls and only use one at a time!!

I gotta get this! Waiting to hear your review!!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

It is in the freezer, so tomorrow night I will give my review!! (I hope it's a good one!) I like the single bowls...I would say pretty generously sized... The pamphlet says that you can throw in a yogurt and have frozen yogurt... *excited* !!!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

Well unfortunately it didn't work out too well. You know when you pour the base of ice cream into the machine, it sticks...well, being that the bowl is smaller, the ice cream that stuck to the bowl was too thick, making it impossible to have a serving size. If I can find a way so that the base ice cream mix won't stick so much, it may work. Also, it was hard as a rock, and nothing will take it off unless we let it sit out for a few. The bowls themselves were frozen solid so it will be a while before the ice cream on the sides of the containers will come off. I hope I am explaining myself clearly!! The ice cream we did have was fabulous!! I think I may try Linda Sues ice cream method where she freezes in ice cream base in trays then puts them into her food processer. Or have dh buy me a vitamix...but I am thinking he may want to buy me the ice cube trays first. LOL.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #13
dizneegirl
Senior LCF Member

Bummer! That happens in the big freezer bowls, too, but there's so much more volume you still get a lot of soft serve right away, and then can chip off what froze to the sides later.

Wonder if there's any way to "grease" the freezer bowl to help keep the ice cream from sticking so bad? Think a thin coating of coconut oil before you pour the base in would help?
dizneegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Charski
Gadget Gal

That's a bummer, Mary, and I seem to remember that happening on the bigger one I had some years back.

You NEEEEEEED a Vitamix!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
yes, it has two small cups.. It doesn't take too long to churn either. It can be done quickly too... dh likes the fact that it only makes enough for the two of us.....cuz we are empty nesters... I think I'm gonna keep it... excited... !!!
Ya know, small portions, not a bad idea, know what I mean?
Large quantity to me means more for me to consume....soooo smaller in this instance might be the way to go.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

hee hee, small portions are a great idea! Thing is, when this went through it's cycle, so much of the ice cream was frozen solid on the sides of the machine, all we had was about 2 Tablespoons left! That is a little TOO SMALL for me. LOL If the ice cream didn't freeze to the sides, I would definitely keep it! Right now I have some ice cream base freezing in paper cups in my freezer. I am going to put them in my food processer and whip it up. We tried this the other night and it seemed to work great! Nothing stuck to the sides of the food processer...I might just keep using that method with a cooked base. It was so good that way..but then I will really have to watch my portion sizes!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Deb
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneegirl View Post
Hard to justify getting it though, when I have a big Cuisinart... but if it works well...
cute is NOT Cuisinart

I love the cuisinart brand
have the juicer and the coffee maker with the grinder..woulnt live without my coffee maker

just ordered the cuisinart ice-cream maker

i think sometimes you get what you pay for
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel 7 View Post
cute is NOT Cuisinart

I love the cuisinart brand
have the juicer and the coffee maker with the grinder..woulnt live without my coffee maker

just ordered the cuisinart ice-cream maker

i think sometimes you get what you pay for
That puppy is on my wish list (Cuisinart ice cream maker), but I think I will hold off until next summer. Tooooooooo tempting!!! Filling up with the home made KoolAid pops. Definately not ice cream but got to get these pounds off.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
Beeb

I bought this and I'm waiting for it to come in. I have never had a problem in the big machine I have with the base sticking to the bowl, so I'm hoping I will have the same result with this one.

Maybe it's the recipe you are using?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

I am using a recipe with the following: cream, eggs, vanilla and sweetener. I did a bit of water because I didn't want to use milk or half and half. Could it be the water? What recipe are you using? You say it doesn't stick to the bowl? Now I am really curious! Thank you!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #21
Beeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
I am using a recipe with the following: cream, eggs, vanilla and sweetener. I did a bit of water because I didn't want to use milk or half and half. Could it be the water? What recipe are you using? You say it doesn't stick to the bowl? Now I am really curious! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I bought this and I'm waiting for it to come in. I have never had a problem in the big machine I have with the base sticking to the bowl, so I'm hoping I will have the same result with this one.
Don't know yet, it's not here yet. But like I said I never have had a problem in my bigger machine.

And I'm thinking that it may have been the water you put in there. Also, did you cook your base? I always cook my base, let it cool some and THEN do the ice cream machine thing.

I will let you know how mine comes out as soon as it gets here!

Last edited by Beeb; 07-04-2011 at 05:51 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

yeah, I was wondering what you used in your bigger machine. I think you may be on to something with the water...I guess I will just have to try again!!

I look forward to you getting your machine. I really do like it because it is small. Last night I was looking at the other type of ice cream makers that have their own compressor...only for $200..and up!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
mmorris
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I have one and tried a few times to make ice cream. It seems after about 10-15 the mixture doesn't thicken so I scrape it into the second bowl and let it churn for around 5 minutes and then I have ice cream.

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13
Grandmother of 8
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
If it is to be, it's up to me
*a little note... I lost this all my weight without one ounce of exercise. I do now swim 3x a week*

mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Beeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I have one and tried a few times to make ice cream. It seems after about 10-15 the mixture doesn't thicken so I scrape it into the second bowl and let it churn for around 5 minutes and then I have ice cream.
Is the second bowl frozen?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #25
fourstubbs
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
mmorris: It sounds as if the bowls aren't fully frozen... Maybe that is why yours isn't setting up...

Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #26
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

I was going to get a Magic Bullet, but can someone recommend a SMALL blender that I can pour olive oil into so that I can make my own mayo? And one that will hold up for a very long time? Sometimes I want to mix small amounts of something (like mayo) but do not want to clean the blender nor Cuisinart food processor. Suggestions?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
dizneegirl
Senior LCF Member

I just picked up a Cuisinart compact portable blending/chopping system last night... wanted something to make protein/iced drinks, so was looking at the Magic Bullet. This one has the same 2 blades, 4 travel blender cups, a small chopping cup, and a 32-oz. blender 'cup' (has a removable plug in the top, like a regular blender lid), with a small base. Haven't played with it yet (work calls... sigh), but sounds like it may be what you're looking for.

With a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond, and a $20 mail-in rebate, it came out cheaper than a Magic Bullet ($35 after tax & rebate). Plus, haven't been disappointed with a Cuisinart anything yet.
dizneegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #28
Beeb

I made frozen greek yogurt this morning. It was very good, nice and cold and creamy. Some did stick to the sides, but not much at all.

I will reserve my full opinion of this product until I can make real ice cream and will let you all know then whether it stays or goes back.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #29
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just picked up a Cuisinart compact portable blending/chopping system last night... wanted something to make protein/iced drinks, so was looking at the Magic Bullet. This one has the same 2 blades, 4 travel blender cups, a small chopping cup, and a 32-oz. blender 'cup' (has a removable plug in the top, like a regular blender lid), with a small base. Haven't played with it yet (work calls... sigh), but sounds like it may be what you're looking for.

With a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond, and a $20 mail-in rebate, it came out cheaper than a Magic Bullet ($35 after tax & rebate). Plus, haven't been disappointed with a Cuisinart anything yet.
Thanks, I will do a search on it. Pooie, think I may have tossed my BB&B coupon. I will have to look for that. I like Cuisinart as well, and to have the removeable plug in the top, it may work. (Especially with all those coupons!!)
p.s. found the coupon and does not expire until August, so gives me plenty of time, thanks!

Last edited by Tilly; 07-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: add
Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #30
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Do you think I could drizzle olive oil into the container for mayo?